Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

i think maybe we’re a little more risk averse wrt child rearing than our lead poisoned forebearers too
lol i’m telling my kids things like “getting told off is a fake idea” and my son got his first detention recently (for forgetting his PE gear) and I was kinda proud of his minor rebellion

it doesn’t help that their friends live far away, and idk something about getting rid of household phones has meant kids seem to have had some negative impact maybe, or maybe it’s just that texting means much less voice calling which I reckon isn’t the best direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

President Beep posted:

i think maybe we’re a little more risk averse wrt child rearing than our lead poisoned forebearers too

yeah this lol

echinopsis posted:

my son got his first detention recently (for forgetting his PE gear)

this sucks man, some teachers would rather be working at a prison i reckon.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
because the pay is so poo poo? I looked at using my bachelor of pharmacy to get into being a high school teacher doing science but It’d take ten years to get to about 75% my current wage and then never get better

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

echinopsis posted:

also tarmac doesn’t compare to grand theft auto

what if they go out and boost cars op?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
free gas? in this economy? sign me the gently caress up

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

echinopsis posted:

one thing that makes me laugh about my kids is how scared they are. well, either that or it just feels that way because of my lack of risk aversion

like, when I was a kid we’d pour methylated spirits on the grass and set it on fire

my kids are too scared of even using a cigarette lighter

it makes me feel much more ok about leaving them at home, they won’t go near the element lmao
Childhoot mortality prevention sucked the fun outta EVERYTHING!!

Sagebrush posted:

gently caress cars
yesssss. join usssssss

Some dude drove in spyder lambo at near full tilt right past the neighborhood playground and I don't know what he still owed on it but when I caught up to him and told him I'd burn it to the ground if he ever did that near kids again he went REAL white. gently caress is wrong with people.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 28, 2022

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

President Beep posted:

my wife and i failed so spectacularly at sleep training both kids that I’m surprised it didn’t make the news.

could have just read them your posts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

i’m not really complaining, I feel better knowing my kids are far less likely to do something physically risky than I was

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

evil_bunnY posted:

i've said it before but i still believe that the fundamental parenting job is to expose your child to an appropriate amount of risk.

Like you have to allow them to experience the real world, but not so much that they are permanently damaged. A little temporary damage is fine and is actually desireable in some/many cases.

the trick, of course, is knowing the difference.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

because the pay is so poo poo? I looked at using my bachelor of pharmacy to get into being a high school teacher doing science but It’d take ten years to get to about 75% my current wage and then never get better

pharmacy must be a good racket... teachers cap out at almost 100k currently. more if you're a dean or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

pharmacy must be a good racket... teachers cap out at almost 100k currently. more if you're a dean or something

has that gone up significantly in the last few years?? when I looked at it a few years ago, after about 7 years you could get to about 70k and that’s about it without moving past teaching itself

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

depends on your qualification but if you take teaching as a pg dip which u would have to do you will start /end p high on the pay scale. teachers union is not bad, at least compared to other unions here. its been like 80+ for quite a while though, I think the bump from 80 to over 90 was maybe recent for regular teachers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm

I had looked at doing it thru some system that did like 3 months high intensity teacher training then into the deep end teaching at low decile schools for 3 years and then boom ya can do what you want

I was intrigued by the notion of having holidays, but at the time concluded I couldn’t afford to bridge the gap. I could maybe look at it again when I move in with partner

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the vast majority of teachers I know supplement their income with summer jobs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the US teachers are largely treated with contempt and paid accordingly

obviously a good society would treat teachers like wee gems and pay it well so it was a job the brightest and best would aim to do but it is not :cry:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

hmm

I had looked at doing it thru some system that did like 3 months high intensity teacher training then into the deep end teaching at low decile schools for 3 years and then boom ya can do what you want

I was intrigued by the notion of having holidays, but at the time concluded I couldn’t afford to bridge the gap. I could maybe look at it again when I move in with partner

do a proper postgraduate diploma if you go for it. looks like otago does it by distance learning / part time even. you will have to do practicum at some point though and get like 20k of student loans lol. and don;t be liek my mate that did all his training then never got a proper job and might have to retrain, there's a time limit to complete your registration

having holidays is really nice for kids and makes it a lot easier too not having to send them off to some holiday program

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lament.cfg posted:

could have just read them your posts

im going to get you for this

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

echinopsis posted:

in the US teachers are largely treated with contempt and paid accordingly

obviously a good society would treat teachers like wee gems and pay it well so it was a job the brightest and best would aim to do but it is not :cry:

it is so hosed up. teaching kids should pay better than software dev, have better hours, and should keep the generous "don't have to work all summer" perk and everyone should be jockeying to get a cushy teaching job and falling back to the idiotic industry jobs as a last resort if they weren't good enough candidates. A functional government could absolutely make this happen and churn out generations of brilliant children educated by bright and impassioned professionals.

But instead the candidate pool is 95% people who were literally too stupid to realize that a career in education hasn't been sustainable in probably 40 years

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

admins have it p good. teachers, not so much. Same story in higher ed.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

evil_bunnY posted:

admins have it p good. teachers, not so much. Same story in higher ed.

You have to reward someone for keeping the costs low and for making sure the external vendors make as much money as possible.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
if the bullshit keeps piling up in teaching I’m not sure how much longer my wife will stick with it, and she is the kind of fantastic teacher that you absolutely want in a classroom.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7171253617352084779

this was entirely too relatable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ahahahahahahaha

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol. that dude is in for a ride.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
last day before we can start cracking the Lego advent calendars. borrowing a move from the kids’ school, we (kiddos and me) are going to talk about rules for how we share and play with legos, starting with our hopes and dreams for what playing and sharing will be like

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

great now I'm gonna get banned from the opticians again

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
took the week off so i took my daughter to a trampoline park yesterday, it was hella fun. she keeps calling it the trampolini

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

trampletorium

trampledrome?

President Beep fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 1, 2022

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
just got back from the trampolini, now it’s time to hit the dripini

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think in bluey they call it the trampolinium lol

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

tramampoline! trombompaline!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

keep drivin, fat boy.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Truman Peyote posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Truman Peyote posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
argh gently caress my ex wife is a bitch

I sent my kids home in an uber from the wedding I went to so they were at home for about an
hour and a half before we got back home

and she thinks it was super dangerous to do so and threatening to file a police report, and claim I can’t be trusted with the kids etc

poo poo like this is why I am glad I am not with her, and just makes me want to get as far away from her as possible. no one else I have talked to about it thinks what I did was bad or dangerous etc. in the past I would have apologised etc etc but thing is I don’t want to bow down and apologise for something I don’t feel bad about

i’m mad as heck at her for trying to blow the situation up like this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

how old are the kids?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I seem to remember one of them being a teenager?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
11 and 13

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
now that i'm a parent the idea of kidnapping a kid is the most insane poo poo i ever heard

nobody would willing become the sole guardian of a child unless it was some like billion dollar plutocrat kid or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ex is insane, your kids have more risk from the overly friendly uncle than the uber driver and are both more than old enough to spend a couple hours alone at home