Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

mods are basically internet parents

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

...I mean if you need a new trash can why not

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

..."long car rides"? that sounds dangerous, like you're trying to get covid!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

and also not forming babby too early

or too late...

i really should’ve known grandparenting would have a strong undertone of “MWAHAHA YOUR TURN NOW”

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 19, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echinopsis posted:

do you guys constantly correct your kids bad use of english?

some people say that it’s classism to judge people
poorly due to poor english skills, and perhaps that’s true, but that is a different issue, and is no reason not
to encourage high standards in your children english. at least imo.

also politeness. people often tell me my kids are polite, but it’s nothing special, I just guess the overall standards out there are low? anyway I like to think other parents and teachers etc are more welcoming to kids that are politeness and show appreciation.

what age are they? because replying “I don’t know, can you?” to a teenager when they ask if they can do something versus correcting a toddler’s words into a complete sentence are very different.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in 20 years the only swear words are going to be stuff like the n word

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

my kids dont really have a problem with bad grammar and idk if it's really a thing but i chalk this up to never babytalking at them when they were toddlers

a lot of current parenting guidance is emphasizing using complete sentences with proper grammar and not using sentence fragments for baby talk so there’s probably something to this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you just find a lady and squeeze your eggs out into her it's not really expensive

ah, Louisiana has the same sex ed as Kentucky I see

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my 3 year old simply does not understand why she can't feed the dog whenever she wants, multiple times a day

it’s always time to feed the dog

also cats

they’d never lie

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TimWinter posted:

When is it developmentally appropriate to tell your kids how much the world sucks? I assume this is like the sex talk where if they make it to highschool without the sit down they're going to be at a huge social and emotional development disadvantage

when they’re old enough to play FF7R

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

saves us like 75 smackaroos a week on daycare though so yolo

surely you missed a digit in front

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

so it's like streaming?

it’s streaming for expensive psports

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nobody let dreamworks know about that joke

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

the idea, for math anyway, is that there are lots of different ways to do things, and different people are more adept at solving problems in different ways.

Which is great, but here's how it works out in practice:

Say there's 5 different ways to do Problem X. Ok, so you'd think you'd show the 5 different ways and let kids use whichever way they find clearest and easiest right?

WRONG. They have to do Problem X 5 times, one for each way, despite not being adept at four of them.

isn’t that an implementation issue and not actually in common core

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

i forgot what cardinality means. i have an engineering degree

i always remember it as being the same as a magnitude because it uses the same notation

this has the bonus of making math people mad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

I have advised both my kids to take stats in high school instead. If they need to take calc they can do it in college as God intended.

my high school calc teacher was so much better than any of my college math instructors

no idea how universal that experience is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ramosbugs/status/1395091585373667329

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

atc likes loving with pilots because they're meanies mad they don't get to be pilots

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

for us it’s not just more than the mortgage it’s closer to double the cost of the mortgage

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no viddy games for awhile, and after that no viddy games that require unbroken blocks of your attention

i mean you can take shifts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

should’ve gone the calvin’s dad route

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rip your nice new carpets and walls

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

abigserve posted:

Basically you don't get to sleep in ever again

hey we slept until 9am this weekend!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

are your parents sending you coffee or energy drinks yet

my dad seemed a little too gleeful with the “your turn now!!!” stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my girls absolutely love waking up daddy, it is one of their all-time favorite things

if it's my turn to sleep in, or even if they notice me falling asleep on the couch, they won't hesitate to climb all over me, with the 1.5 year old shrieking her head off with glee at the command of "let's go wake up daddy"

ah so cats were a good warm up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ours just likes stairs, probably better than going around the block in the Minnesota winter

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echinopsis posted:

so anyone got any advice or ideas for my problems?

I had thought about a raspberry pi in the network that took all the dns requests so i could monitor but idk

the internet isn’t new, what did your parents do? why are you so concerned about this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s not genes it’s that testosterone makes you into an idiot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm surprised that the yospos response is not to pre-emptively goatse your child to scare them off the internet for life.

then again maybe they'd end up posting here instead.

yeah I don’t know everyone else’s ages but when I was 12 that was right around when shock images were really becoming the height of “comedy”

honestly goatse might be the least bad image used circa 2000

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

someone at my high school pushed lemonparty as the default desktop to all the computer labs

i have no idea how they didn’t get expelled

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echinopsis posted:

so you don’t think you should actually do anything to prevent it ?

you should set up the pi hole and when your son bypasses the DNS in a few months tell him you’re extremely disappointed in him that he didn’t do that in under an hour. then leave him with a copy of the Unix and Linux system administration handbook.

your concerns should solve themselves

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in that scenario the problem is that your son is a Nazi, not that they have access to a Nazi forum

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sounds like that scenario resolved itself!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the way our pediatrician explained it babies sinuses are so undeveloped that any cold that'd give an adult a stuffed up nose goes straight to the ears

deafness in at least one ear due to childhood ear infections was actually extremely common in the past from what I understand

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:ohdear:

you'd think with covid the pediatricians wouldn't be that busy but i guess every MD gets to do covid duty regardless?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 2, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echinopsis posted:

idk if it’s over the counter in the US but there’s a real helpful medicine called phenergan/promethazine and it’s a sedating antihistamine and its so good with kids because it eliminates motion sickness and also makes them drowsy. gently caress it’s perfect for travel or flying with kids.

dimenhydrinate, diphenhydramine or doxylamine are common in the US, idk what that’s closest to? (Dramamine, Benadryl, unisom)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echinopsis posted:

probably diphenhydramine.

they’re all “dirty” drugs that do a bunch of things including acting like antipsychotics in large doses.

regardless I suppose the important takeaway is that effective motion sickness medicine is available for kids :)

so antipsychotic, anti motion sickness, anti anxiety and antipsychotic?

sounds like the airlines should make that mandatory.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

we didn’t get any of the birth classes stuff cuz covid. I was expecting a lot more tbh, they kinda just shuffled us out of the hospital with a cpr class and making sure we knew how to put her in the car seat

you didn’t at least get linked a bunch of videos to watch?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

somehow in 6 months it’ll all seem adorable and endearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

making your name one of the first consonant+vowel sounds a baby can make was pretty ingenious