Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have had sex with something not a computer and produced multiple children via a woman that I married ages ago and now these children want feeding and Minecraft and sleeping and Among Us well done me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my youngest daughter likes to make electrical circuits and I sometimes worry that she will do,show burn the house down or have no friends in high school.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

So far my nephew has only managed to complete electrical circuits. Sounds like she's ahead of the curve.

You checked out all the cool poo poo on adafruit?

sheís almost 9 and her favourite thing is making a basic circuit that makes a fan spin. she also likes to ask her sister to put her hand next to the fan then completes the circuit causing said fan to hit sister.

I shall now go and look at said good poo poo on adafruit.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I had kids from my early mid 20s and it was exhausting then as well. wife and I just console ourselves with the FACT that they will all be gone out of our house before we are 50 as much as we love them

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what the gently caress is a diaper genie I ainít even gonna google that poo poo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

just chuck them over the fence like I did problem solved

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I did the cutting for all of the children and I often remind people that it is the most important part of the process.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I suggested it to my wife, adding that there would be little difference to assisting the birth of a sheep or cow, which I have successfully achieved many times.

apparently this was not a helpful thing to say during labour :rolleye:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my 15 year old nephew is having a camping holiday in July with his two 15 year old female friends tomorrow. my sister says that they are plutonic friends and on Wednesday the three of them are going to the city to play mini golf and Iím all like mmmmmmhmmmmmmmm

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

RokosCockatrice posted:

Honest question for people with older kids- do you teach your kids about having game?

definitely not about ďgameĒ in that the pursuit of companionship is a goal to attain.

and for the record that is also not what my nephew is up to either. he is a good kid. really good kid. I rate him as ďtop blokeĒ.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hows that working out for ya?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

charge your skinny phone

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

kid has been sick all week. I ram ďorangeĒ flavoured cough syrup down her throat and bung her on the couch with the Xbox and she has played 24 hours of mine craft and plants vs zombie neighbourville in four days and let her eat all the rubbish food available in the pantry. she doesnít want to get better.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my red panda obsessed daughter loved it

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

not as much as not talking about Bruno, though

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oh man. hope itíll be a mild case for babby

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

time to call OT on echi :smugmrgw:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

itís 14 in New Zealand

my parents didnít get home from work until after 5 when I was a kid so 3:30pm to whenever they got home was adult free time for cow. what a time to be alive.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

make your own pizza echi. make your own pizza oven as well. YouTube university will guide you.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

microwave pizza is awful. even the American stuff.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

best pizza Iíve ever eaten was in a little village outside of Milan that I canít remember the name of

Iíve had pizza in various places in the US during the early to mid 2000s and it was average at best.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

wasnít banned at my school.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bones were broken. parents were outraged. but still, the crusty old principal would not relent.

bullrush would remain a treasured childhood game to play on the hard dusty sun-baked school rugby field.

that was what I remember about bull rush.

and being one of the few pakeha in a predominantly Māori school. pretty scrawny pakeha at that. it was a game that taught me to be nimble.

my children just play their roblox and their apps. they will never know the thrill of running flat out away and past 25 other boys who were at least twice the size of you, who wanted nothing more than to pound you into the ground :smugmrgw:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

MrQueasy posted:

My poor adhd kid is having a rough time in 4th grade. heís finally noticing the cliques and in-groups that formed without him (and theyíre starting to get nasty in that uniquely middle-school way). worseÖ heís starting to force negative social interactions on purpose/accident.

Not sure how to help him. 5-8th was miserable for me and I was just a fat kid and a space-case. I didnít have to deal with the compulsive motion/talking that he does. :smith:

poor kid. have you spoken to the teacher about it?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

have they considered any alternatives? or pointed out any potential classroom friendships that you as a parent could work on? get to know your child outside of the classroom. children can be very different in the classroom than in a home environment.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

for context my wife is a teacher of children between 8 - 11 year olds. her class is for children with adhd, FASD, etc. what was known in my day as the special education class. obviously not saying that your child should go into one of these classes as that can be itís own kind of stigma. what I am asking is sort of route one poo poo that she does as a teacher for parents of the kids acting up, but arenít genuinely psychotic and should be receiving medical treatment

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

man, I donít know what you are going through, but I do understand. that chill side you mentioned, that is what the teacher or learning coach should be looking for, however they have you childís education plan set up. relaxed, ready for learning at the childís own pace. that way the teacher can teach and measure rather than putting out fires.

forgive me, I am about to make assumptions about your child.

learning plan could be as simple as half an hour a day, your child gets to go into the sensory room. a friend (a quiet friendÖ) can go with them.

kids of this stage are quick to form groups, groups that exclude others, but they can be just as quick to change these groups to be more inclusive. part of teaching down here is manipulating these groups slightly to be more inclusive. moo wife has mentioned to me on many occasions that a certain kid isnít quite fitting in yet, so she will the activity groups around in class until something sparks - or at least gets better. she then has something to tell the parents of that kid, maybe try and make contact with the other kids in that group, suggest taking the kids out bowling or something outside of school to show that chill side.

this is definitely not my area of expertise, I would hate to give you some wrong advice - and not knowing where you are, things might work differently there than here in nz.

I will ask my wife about literature when she gets home :)

really hope it gets better for you and child

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oh echi

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my eldest got stuck up a tree.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

still, a good time to talk about Java.

Iím watching my youngest outside poking a dead rat with a stick rn

what a time to be alive

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

itís an endless battle to get the kids off devices and go outside while the sun is out.

huge tracts of land available to frolic in and they stay cooped in a bedroom watching rubbish.

12-year-old has hit the stage where dads funny little jokes arenít that funny anymore. Sheís taken to dressing only in black and listening to rubbish music almost all day.

now I am going to tempt them away from devices so that we might go and buy Motherís Day presents for next Sunday.

wish me luck.

Iíve become my parents.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

evil_bunnY posted:

The mistake is providing unmetered device access IMO.
No one will find their own entertainment as fast as a kid with no pocket-screen being threatened with chores.

oh itís metered alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my kids arenít in the tik toks, but my young teen has been given some YouTube time. but Jesus Christ itís a rabbit hole in there.

they get 90 minutes a day on devices, which includes any time they need for homework. if they blitz that time on other crap, and they havenít done their homework then tough.

they can get more time in the weekends if they do my little chores. like picking up the horse poo poo.

parenting in 2022, bitches.