Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

it’s far easier to say obvious misunderstanding things like “the pokemans” than trying but failing to understand their new forms of communication and understanding
https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/999049063629803522?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

he also used to absolutely insist that it was called “elmo’s square” and not “elmo’s world”. was like three though.
it was more of a shame cube

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

when my kids forget to do something I told them to do i say "that wasn't very cash money of you" and they hate it
:bisonyes:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

nailin this poo poo to my kids' doors like im martin fuckin luther

where'd you get this from, mayor pete's dad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

it’s very sad and can be hard on any relationship. hope op and his partner are holding up okay.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

i had a dr cut my balls in half (i have no idea how vasectomy works) just so i wouldn't do another on accident. good luck on your cum adventure
should have had him cut them in half again smdh :dogtits:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

sounds like a bad idea to me, op.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

badass. thanks for linking.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

posting the #1 most brutal own my son ever did on me:

when he was, idk, like 4 years old he asked me what my job was and i was like "well, you know how a paleontologist is a scientist about dinosaurs right?" "yes" "ok and you know how astronomers are scientists about stars right?" "yes" "ok well I'm like a scientist about computers"

and he looks thoughtful for a minute and says "when i grow up Im going to be a real scientist" and frankly i have never fully recovered from this

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

TimWinter posted:

When is it developmentally appropriate to tell your kids how much the world sucks? I assume this is like the sex talk where if they make it to highschool without the sit down they're going to be at a huge social and emotional development disadvantage
i think rotor has the right idea– it's not so much about checking boxes about your kid's growth as it is providing them with the (physical/mental) tools, resources and environment to grow. that includes answering questions in a way that promotes further questions if they want to ask them. in an age-appropriate way of course which is where you make the judgment call.

i think your assumption means more in an individualistic setting (i.e. you're homeschooling, you have to move around a lot, or your kid doesn't have a peer group for other reasons). within a steady peer group it doesn't hold as much because the kids generally all grow and question and learn at more or less the same rate in the context of the same events

i know "it takes a village" sucks as an answer but your question is "how do i make my kid not look like a naive idiot in the context of our village"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Stringent posted:

Home schooling seems like the most insane thing to me. Even if you were a trained educator, it still seems nuts. Like being a surgeon and wanting to perform surgery on your own kid.
i'll let the people who do it defend themselves here. but. it definitely tends to telegraph to the world that you value your (usually religious) ideology of choice more than anything but also fear it will be abandoned by your child unless you keep them submersed in it constantly even faced with basic economic sense

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I want to homeschool because I’m extremely worried about like, shootings and poo poo, not to mention the potentially questionable quality of education. luckily for my kid I am not delusional enough to think I’m qualified to teach a little one and I understand the value of socialization. I just consider it my job to help educate as a supplement to the school system where appropriate (I had to cut out my dinner time news rants because while very fun to complain about cops the tone upsets the kiddo haha)

I got like 4 years to worry about that tho
hmm. yeah, didn't account for the american school shootings factor.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

on one hand its like worrying that your kid will get struck by lightning but on the other hand the overreaction to it and the ridiculous safety training they have to do has gotta be harmful, and on the other hand I had to do the same kind of trainings to prepare me for nuclear war so maybe its fine idk Im out of hands
i went through canadian elementary/middle/high school almost entirely within the 90s so i am relatively lucky to not have had cold war agonies, school shootings overreactivities, cell/smartphones, or social media/cyberbullying impacting my learning. truly blessed

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

my pro parenting tip is to always have subtitles on the TV. Both my kids learned to read really well and really early and I give the "just leave the subtitles on for Blues Clues" strat lot of credit for that.
same but first picked it up when we didn't want to wake the baby

they can be iffy for live broadcast tv but for streaming they're almost always timed well and accurate

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

what the gently caress is "live broadcast tv??"
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i was supposed to snip the cord but the birth went a bit sideways and we were moments away from it becoming an emergency c-section. also the anesthesiologist hosed up the epidural. it's ok though, it went all right by grace of the vacuum extractor and once it was in gear it went very fast. like a magician pulling a blue and white rabbit out of a blood-filled hat

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Solus M.D. posted:

we are currently experiencing baby creep, the only places in the house without baby toys/play area right now are the office and kitchen

it’s only the beginning
i'd rather have baby creep than have to deal with babygates

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

my homie dhall posted:

even as a non-religious person I appreciate some of my religious upbringing for giving me background and context into the lives of a large group of people I would otherwise not have
"appreciate" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here but :hmmyes:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

This is a spicy take, but you might consider doing a church thing with your kid for a few years. Even if you're not super into it and you all eventually lapse, the morals are good for a child to learn. Also the community can benefit you a lot as a new parent, if you find one with a bunch of other parents.
this depends on the church and how "into" it you have to (and can) be in order to tell if it's going to do more harm than good. not recommended to just outsource all moral education on any questionable institution if you're not monitoring for quality

echinopsis posted:

don’t forget tho that the most important thing and also hardest thing to do is that you have to transform into the morally admirable person because you’re their number one role model and all the telling a kid what to do in the world doesn’t mean poo poo because they’ll turn out just like you pretty much.
it's this

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

ffffffffuck that. Literally no one in any (white) church-like org has ever been morals-motivated.
i mean this is a way more reliable shortcut than "church will figure out my kid's moral education for me"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

the geezer at church told me about some dude a long time ago that said “don’t kill” and i was like how am i just now hearing this!!

President Beep posted:

not me, bruv. burned down an orphanage earlier because i stopped going to youth group before they told us the important bits. wish i knew what to do. :(

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

the fun thing about ethics/morality is that if you think you have an absolute code that makes things easier all the time, you're doing it wrong. there should always be tension in evaluating the rightness/wrongness of action. if there isn't it means your code is stagnant and not reacting to a changing world with changing problems and issues

it is possible for a churcho-based ethical code to manifest that consistent and complete tension, but it's generally going to be as a result of imperfect personal compliance and guilt/doubt rather than by design. any org will want to have a safe chill zone of at least "but you can always trust [X], which we represent" and that's where the trouble always starts

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

gently caress church

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

shoeberto posted:

When I went off to college I dropped the sort of guilt-induced pseudo-beliefs I picked up from my small town high school groupthink, and I'll never forget telling my closest friend from home that I was openly an atheist. At the time, he couldn't conceive that you could have morals or be a good person without religion. It ended up being a good conversation (and he's actually an atheist now, too) but yeah, growing up in that sort of environment can give you a pretty black-and-white idea of how people pick up morality.

(also apologies for the fact that my entire post sounds like a frontpage post on r/atheism)
when you're right you're right

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/bwoomp/status/1144791194356109313?s=21

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

one time not long after we got my son a real bed he fell out right onto a cushion i put down there and i found him still sleeping on teh floor lmao
same here with my daughter last year. it was pretty funny but we now use pool noodles under the fitted sheet to avoid it as she now doesn't sleep QUITE as soundly

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

i forgot what cardinality means. i have an engineering degree
i used to have a friend who wouldn't shut up about this ryan adams album. used to

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

when i was a kid i wondered about how much piss was left behind in the toilet after every flush and realized that it was intractable with the baby math i knew. I wondered about it for a long time and then eventually i got to diffEq and realized that the pissmath was actually very high level and complicated
it seems very appropriate that a toilet is a homeopathic medicine generator

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/zizifothsi/status/1395039903440900101?s=21

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

the answer is almost always going to be "someone thought it would be cheaper to do it that way" hth

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

my kids got out of the why phase pretty fast because i would pull the fuckin car over and say "ok it's a long story but here it goes. Red paint was first sythesized by German chemists in 1846. This is during the reign of Kaiser Wilhelm, a fact which will become relevant in a moment. OK so..."
yeah i tell my kid stories from my childhood too

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/_claypot/status/1361710684585754626?s=21

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the current thinking is to start with a pedal-less balance bike instead of training wheels

idk if that's appropriate for a 7-8 year old though, balance bikes tend to be smaller, though i'm sure there's a range
weird. i only saw (or heard of) a balance bike earlier today for the first time

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

well yes, kenny, i assume the bears at your circus need pedal bikes.
you had that one already dialed in!!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/rivertamydn/status/1396474932452904966?s=21

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/slava_pestov/status/1397610019131215876?s=21

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

I’m a dad now
condadulations

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

shoeberto posted:

Admission fee is really more of a deposit.
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

man this NICU poo poo sucks. wife was having breakdowns at the hospital because she had been in there for a week total (they offered a courtesy stay thing where she could sleep in an extra room after discharge), she was missing meals because of how the cafeteria hours worked, just a mess. she decided to come home because at least she could have a breakdown in a more comfortable bed.

the kid seems to be getting better but they think there’s some thyroid issue where her thyroid isn’t working right, so they’ve got her on meds for that but it takes a while to kick in. she’s not under the jaundice light any more at least and is starting to bottle feed, so that seems good. I guess we’re both just terrified that she’s gonna have some permanent developmental problems because of all this. :/
she's where she needs to be. kids are incredibly resilient. the hard part is matching them. even parents of relatively healthy kids are stressed out and scared at first

you're all gonna make it, just do your best. the feeding and no jaundice light are incredibly good steps. if your role is to watch wait and support, focus on progress not risks. you'll have your entire parenthood to worry about risks

hang in there dad