Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

in a desperate move to get out of the house, I’ve been taking the kids out to Do Thangs like get groceries or go to the local aquarium or poo poo like that when my wife works, and it’s heaps of fun

luckily they’re not the melty downy type and if one gets upset that she can’t get a toy they can get talked down from the ledge of going nuclear in the middle of Target

today I had a few hours to myself to go get a golf club fixed, run to the Nike store, and grab some poke while I was out and I was downright lonely without my oldest telling me about how “she’s going on a mission to help mama takin care of babies” or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

c child s: my youngest, who is 16 months, watched my eldest, who is 3 next month, yeet herself over the couch to come to my office to “work with dada” and attempted the same feat

given she barely is walking it surprised me that she would give that a go but at least there were no broken bones or concussions

soon I will have two assistant typists

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the good news is the youngest now points to her crib when she’s ready to sleep then puts herself to sleep instead of me rocking her for 20 minutes

I’m going to miss the cuddles but at least we’ll be able to enjoy reading books still

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

whenever my kids are teething they also get like runny noses or diarrhoea, and occasionally low grade temperatures, so it’s a very annoying guessing game of “is she teething or sick??”

the main thing I’ve found to help figure it out quicker is to give them a frozen dummy or chewie and see if they go to town on it or not

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my youngest put a small chip in one of my front teeth the other day, and thanks to the power of the internet i've known since day 1 to watch your face if your childe is thrashing around or else you can enjoy a broken nose

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fellas,

potty training fuckin sucks

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

it's so great when it finally takes. it'll be even better when we don't have to lug a potty seat everywhere

she refuses to use a potty seat, which is nice since it's less poo poo to haul, but it also means she's more likely to pee on the floor lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

little jones has been on miralax for years cause of constipation and i randomly came upon some articles about it "causing behavior issues" in kids wrt mood swings and stuff

of course the things that actually cause mood swings and behavior issues also can cause constipation; this very much feels like a "vaccines cause autism" thing. but little jones _is_ an angry lil dude a lot of the time and i'm kinda freaking out.

the rational part of me knows to just do what the doctor said and not worry but im having a hard time right now.

you could ask the doctor for senna or a different light doody laxative and see if you notice any changes if you’re concerned it has merit

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

so real quick question here since I have adhd as well as some exciting gut issues: have they linked that to adhd?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MrQueasy posted:

not that I know of? But ignoring bodily signals is a big problem that a lot of ADHD people have. (Like... holding for too long and stuff.)

ah ok that makes more sense

I saw a study that found that gut flora had a massive effect on more than just your gastrointestinal health so I wasn’t sure

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

oh yeah i've seen their posts here and elsewhere

it's a cavalcade of self-owns, lack of self-awareness, and generally bad posting

i trust your professional experience in this

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

we got that sort of figured out by saying “oh wow kiddo, you’re whining a lot so you must need a nap! come on let’s go upstairs and get cozy” and suddenly it’s sunshine and rainbows

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i absolutely remember being a small child and something small happening, and just feeling my heart tear in half then be torn out of my chest. just absolutely devastated that my hotwheel fell off the track or my lego fell apart, or being told no you cannot go to the park

it really helps me stay empathetic when my kids break down about something small :shobon:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yah i'm gonna schedule mine after the babby comes and ages out of the SIDS range

or maybe even sooner since i'm about to go on chemo and don't wanna make any freak fetuses, though i need to talk to the onc about that

wait what? chemo for what?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

cancer. chemo can gently caress up your sperm production which takes years to heal from, so it'll be prudent because lol i'm not waiting 3-5 years to form babby #4

ya I figured that out

hope it does it’s job for ya

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

echinopsis posted:

ask asia about co-sleeping

so many parents seem like they’re in such a rush to detach their kids from themselves, and not let the kids inconvenience them. it’ll happen soon enough anyway, why rush it?

waking up to find you squished your 12lb 2mo childe because u did cosleeping is probably way more inconvenient than anything

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my dog spent most of his time trying to bathe both kids when we got them home, and would try to sneak into their rooms to sleep next to their crib

now that they’re older he tolerates them bouncing around near him and gets lots of table scraps from them, plus my oldest feeds him his brekkie so he loves her especially :3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

zokie posted:

For our first child we wanted to be surprised, but I saw a ding dong on the ultrasound when they were measuring the femur or whatever. We didn’t ask but once he was here I knew I saw correctly. Second time I saw the same and the midwife confirmed but I almost had to point it out. My wife couldn’t see it at all, I blame bideo bames giving me some kind of super 2D->3D sight.

when our second was getting her first ultrasound the tech was measuring some bone and she flipped around and I was like “omg it’s a girl!!” and then the tech was like woah you’re right are you a tech too??

my guess is playing games with heat vision or night vision because I have no idea how I could make it out

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

are they gonna induce?

i'm not sure where you are in your timeline, but i do know that they've shown that induction at 39 weeks is totally fine and can even be beneficial to the health of the mother in a lotta cases, so don't sweat it if things are a tiny bit early

both of my children were induced at 38 or 39 weeks due to my wife breaking out in PUPPS and both were totally health :toot:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

shoeberto posted:

My wife was SO furious about the breast feeding class for basically doing everything they can to guilt you about doing any sort of formula feeding.

Like it started out sort of innocuous, "here's all of the stuff in mom's milk that's not in formula" type things, but then it just kept going on and making you think that anything but breastfeeding is going to ruin your child and should only happen if medically indicated from a doctor.

It's like yeah it makes sense to do it, it's the most natural thing, but ffs.

at this point i think its an opposite reaction to hospitals formerly pushing formula and only formula since "it's scientifically created to be better than mother's milk!!!" and then it turned out that mother's milk has a shitload of antibodies and other poo poo that formula didnt have and also corps like nestle were making money hand over fist because mothers would try to be a good mom and give their kid the best, their milk production would end, and suddenly baby is drinking more and whoops formula is $200/mo and the family makes $900/mo total

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rotor posted:

the solution to one extreme is usually not to swing to the other extreme

oh yeah 100%, didn’t mean to imply otherwise

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my oldest wouldn’t eat her Thai fried rice earlier because I ordered her mild and she wanted hot like daddy, even though she knows it melts her mouth

I am absolutely thrilled this is the extent of pickiness I have to deal with from a 3yo and 18mo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lament.cfg posted:

22 hours of labor, 11 minutes of pushing, and we got ourselves a babby

congrats!!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i played a lot of single player games and did a lot of reading so the missus could sleep and pump

I believe for both kids we evenly split breastfeeding and bottle feeding so that I could handle as much as possible while she recovered and made milk

also save at least 2, preferably 3-6 weeks of vacation so you’re not working during the hardest part of babyhaving. I get 2 weeks paternity and took three weeks off for my second and it was night and day easier than when I only had a week off for my first

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my kids are finally into bluey after bouncing off it a few times and it fucks me up how good a show for preschoolers is

heaps of touching moments and little reminders for parents in there

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my daycare is a stack of colouring books and a bunch of toys and them helping me debug code

they’re 3 and 18mo lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

when they were tiny non mobile babies the strat was a swingaroo thing and when they were only crawling it was an extended playpen full of babby toys

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

yeah I mean don’t get me wrong, it makes sense if u need to go into an office, but if you don’t I’m thrilled to hear I’m apparently saving 3x my mortgage on childcare

I frankly never even considered these options since I’ve always had either a day or two of wfh a week or have been perma wfh since having kids

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

here i was thinkin i was a fancy yancy for considering homeschooling to avoid my kids getting school shootered lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my three year old likes to say “that is NOT habbenin” when she’s trying to express how strongly she doesn’t want something

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

assuming that was a jeremiah johnson reference rather than a swingers one. wow swingers is 26 years old this year huh

if it makes you feel better it’s only 5 years younger than I am

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

apparently sperms with an X chromosome are larger than Y chromosome sperms so people pay to spin 2 win their cum and guarantee a gender lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

devmd01 posted:

I am absolutely terrified for our food budget when the twins are teenagers. We eat well but not extravagantly and it is still a stupid amount of money every month.

remember that the amount of money you're currently spending on nappies will buy a whole lot of food, so at least you have that going for you

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

congrats!!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

prisoner of waffles posted:

my son now wants to help make every smoothie, to the point that he will loudly yell and even start crying a bit if he is presented with a smoothie that he was not a participant in making.

3 years old is a fun age

my oldest does this too lol. if she doesn’t help make her eggs, or even get her water, she breaks down and refuses to eat or drink it

this would be mostly fine except her 20mo sister wants to do everything she does, so cooking on the range while having two small children who want to help gets a little dicey. they’re getting better about understanding the range is hot but they can help beat the eggs and scoop the garlic and pepper in and be mostly happy

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

another projectile full bottle barf to start the day :waycool:

yeah this poo poo annoys me as well

mods please namechange this poster to Powerful Baby-Puker

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my youngest started in her big girl bed this weekend. first night was rough and took an hour and a half to get her to sleep, then she woke up at 1a and 5a

last night she went right to sleep but woke up at 645, and then I woke up next to her sleeping at 8a, so hopefully she doesn’t have the expectation that I’ll come cuddle her from here on out

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cowboy beepboop posted:

nice. i love little milestones like that. 645 is great btw

i forgot to update, but she's been waking up at 7a now then self-soothing and falling back to sleep until 0930 or 10, so we're back to our normal :toot:

when i ask her about her bed she says "'uv it! cozyyyyy" so :3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

what time are you getting her to bed? i envy you so much for having a kid that understands how nice it is to sleep in. I keep trying to explain it to my daughter but she just doesn't get it

they usually go down by 8:30 or 9

both me and their mother are night people, and their mum works midnights, so I guess we got incredibly lucky (or accidentally sleep trained them this way) since they can see their mum more with this schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Doing the dishes and listening to the monitor and hear my youngest start singing “fix you” to herself before falling asleep is absolute 🥺🥺🥺