Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

my wife gave our daughter a whistle what the fffuuuuuccckkkkkkk

ahaha i find this quite entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my parents bought me a drum set at age 6, and I made sure they regretted that decision until I moved out at 21 lol

sweet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got my son a fender squier strat for xmas and an amp

he was stoked

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

big black turnout posted:

My wife got the parents we talk to digital photo frames that we send pictures to

as in you can remotely send to it ?

fisting by many posted:

I mean, I get it, it's not great having your children's photos on Facebook's cloud. some kind of shared album via google/apple/whatever is a good alternative.

if the photo gone over tcp/ip then it’s already part of an AI training set

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Organic Lube User posted:

E: what's the best way to prepare if you know you're gonna be shidding and puking and farding your brains out in the near future? Eat exclusively vanilla pudding while chugging Gatorade?

ye electrolytes out the wazoo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hell yeah bruv

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

That's what you loving get for getting together in huge unmasked groups TBH. Have no idea how it's still a thing, last year *everyone* I knew who got together in large groups got some people infected with *something*, and a colleague's parent spent days in the hospital. If you (not you personally) can't be safe stop loving congregating.

no one is gonna stop doing anything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my eldest loved uptown funk and god drat I heard that song too many times for one sane adult

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
most kids dont die

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

most kids dont die

anymore

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ah yes, I work on the the front lines of vaccines and little actually makes me more mad

a giant chunk of our education when it comes to being a vaccinator is a) dealing with anaphylaxis and b) understanding vaccine risk

kinda wanna have people come at me ngl. I could take them down with facts and reason but feel like a swift roundhouse kick might work better

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my 14yo asked me if i’d ever done drugs and I thought about it for a moment (and instead of saying like hell yea son you were conceive..) I said no and he said ew you nerd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

I have a child mortality rates graph saved on my phone for just these people.

can u share some

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thankyou

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eeyo posted:

well crap, i think i got my son sick with whatever i caught on the airplane.

at least i'm starting to feel slightly better (at least for now).

this game of tag never ends

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the first rule of salad club, is that you need to tell people about salad club

lol

learn sign language to reach more people

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my almost 15yo son has a girl over .. nice . haha my partners kids went to a single sex school so they don’t know how to talk to girls

and my almost 13yo wants to spend all his money on vbucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he was gonna spend $27 on satisfactory (which I already have on my own steam account), but I shouted that for him coz it doesn’t feel as meaningless as fortnite I guess

he first played it when he was about 10 or 11 and it blew me away how complex he made the factory. actually think it’s a testimonial to the learning curve in the game. maybe ten year olds aren’t idiots

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress and I was having a good day too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
rookie mistake: not checked to see if any spare toilet rolls left before I began my business

there’s like a half foot of tp left and of course one of the mf kids started the last roll in the drawer and never replaced it

one day this will bite them in the rear end but today I’m
the one who has to pay 😒

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ahaha it was shower time anyway

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in this economy??

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol i didn’t measure it I just said a short length to indicate it was insufficient for the task

Eeyo posted:

ok but what if they use that 1-ply continuous roll stuff in their house

indeed we do. it’s made of bamboo and it’s better for the gentler parts of some members of this house :buttfame:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
12yo first day of high school (junior high for north americans). both kids at high school 🥹

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tell him to watch the youtube channel hoser it teaches everything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

We've had this kind of talk a bunch of times and our 10YO has apparently been indoctrinating their pals about not trusting cops and endstage capitalism (we don't call it that) being bad, actually. It's really funny.

I mentioned sometime last year how my 14yo wants to spraypaint “gently caress the rich” on some retirees fences

someone said it was bad :cry:

MrQueasy posted:

my 11yo just doesn’t seem to “get” how lying works. he is so bad at it.

my 12yo doesn’t try to lie at all, and he’s real bad at picking up sarcasm. for awhile I thought it was a spectrum thing maybe but no longer think that, but it’s interesting. you can’t really teach how to pickup on sarcasm or body language. he’s quite naive

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

this thread really makes me miss when my kid was younger

imo 8-10 is the golden age

my soon to be 15yo .. well I was watching the bear and sister ask uncle corrupt for parenting advice and he said he’d pull back more and let the kids get hurt more and fall over and graze themselves more and I thought to myself I am that parent already

and so a consequence of letting my kids get hurt and fend for themselves and not policing them going to the skatepark after dinner etc is they’re quickly gonna be thinking for themselves.

the rose tinted glasses are off oh my god are they off

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my son has got into skateboarding much more than I did. like me he’s got unco genes so he’s not great but he does it a lot and meets older kids at the skatepark .. idk if they are great role models lol

tonight I take him to his first guitar lesson too. chicks dig dudes who play instruments I told him. he said “dad not everything is about chicks diggin it”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
look we all had to change our shorts when we joZed in our pants no need to make it a big deal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

devmd01 posted:

the oldest is probably starting puberty. as expected, this is gonna be rough.

invest in military grade antiperspirant

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyone else feel like we grew up in a golden age of computing

they were fun and exciting but the reward wasn’t free. you had to learn command lines and file systems etc

my kids are hopeless when something doesn’t work. computer wise or mechanical

I know that’s not everyone, but as a person myself who I reckon competent enough and figure stuff out it feels a bit sad. they don’t show interest

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah heck yeah

I work with a lot of young people (late teens early 20s) and they’re mostly well adjusted tho. some sense of hope

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m glad then I had some poo poo box cars that required me getting my hands dirty lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eeyo posted:

with regards to tech aptitude i think it’s going to be the kids super into roblox (or whatever its successor is) that become the next programmers. hell i picked up programming because of second life lmao.

i guess with mechanical stuff it’s a bit harder, there’s no parallel for that. a few kids will just be really into cars or machines or whatever, but there’s not a common game that would rope you into those kinds of skills.

maybe it’ll be kids that get sucked into the hydraulic press youtube circle or something like that. get super into making poo poo and then go from there.

maybe there is some survivorship bias here. I was a mega nerd and I befriended mega nerds so maybe it’s easy to imagine people my age learned more but spose most people my age are actually hopeless on idk mechanical things. tbh I think computers are more like mechanical things than vice versa. there’s a logic.