Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

You know when you buy something used from eBay and it shows up in the original box, with the original styrofoam padding, mint condition unopened owner's manual, and even has the ad inserts and warranty card?

That's me. I take care of my things.

My wife, however, is like a wrecking ball. I had to learn how to relax my notion of what "normal wear and tear" was on the day we moved into our first shared apartment and she accidentally destroyed all my porcelain figurines and the glass cover to the entertainment cabinet.

It's made me a better person: now I don't make things with the expectation that they'll be handled by a surgeon whose hobby is antique pottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I take very good care of my things. I'm one of those weirdos who always keeps up with my car's maintenance guidebook, sharpens his knives, gets his suits pressed, etc. I have an otterbox for my phone, pads for my rugs and mattresses, an emergency power station for my car, and all that.

What up, neurosis buddy.

I stopped using a cell phone case last year when it dawned on me that I have never dropped a phone.

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

speak on this please i must know

She just isn't as gentle with things as I am. When we met, I was amazed that she knew exactly how wide her car was, and could whip into a parallel space at a speed that almost made me soil my drawers. It wasn't until later that I found out how she came by this intuitive sense for her car's width.

There isn't much more to the moving story. I had some stupid porcelain dragons and she broke every single wing on every single dragon. She also broke some wings off of some fairy figurines. And when she set the glass cover down against a wall it shattered into a million pieces. The glass was a total freak accident and could have happened to anyone. It just sort of put a bow on the day.

We've been married for almost 20 years. I may have been able to get hilariously huffy about this 15 years ago, but as I've grown into this marriage I've come to understand that having super-delicate stuff around just isn't important. Porcelain fantasy figurines was something I was into before we got married, but we didn't carry it into the marriage. We've focused on other stuff, like a shared love of 1960s furniture design, minimalist living, and woodworking.

This has been pretty good for me, honestly. I've been able to focus my "take care of things" energy into figuring out how to make stuff more robust. Some people have other priorities than "protect your stuff": sometimes that's a permanent focus, sometimes it's temporary (the baby is about to stick that fork into the toaster, I no longer care about the cell phone). It's important to design things that can withstand not being the sole focus of protective attention.

cruft

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Fun story. I just started dropping my cell phone. Like ALL THE loving TIME, despite having dropped a phone a grand total of once between 2004 and 2019.

Yeah, I have to come clean, I put the case back on when my wife got me a new pair of jeans for Christmas.

These jeans have women's jeans pockets. I can't keep the phone in the pocket because the pockets are so small. I fully expect to start dropping it any day now.

WHY WOULD ANYONE MAKE POCKETS THIS SMALL

THIS IS SO DUMB

I HATE THESE POCKETS

Jeans look pretty good though.

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

Now y'all know how I feel every day of my dumb bad life and also why I've dropped my phone out of my pocket at least seven times in two days.

Yeah, seriously, having women's pockets really opened my eyes here.

I for one will never get another pair of jeans with ridiculously small pockets. This is serious bullshit, I have things to do, and looking good is down at like item #95.

No joke, "usable pockets" has become my top criterion for any future pantaloon/kilt purchase. I didn't realize how good I had it before these damned things.

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

Hot take: we should all start wearing ridiculously ostentatious external pockets on belts, like women of the Renaissance.

Not a bad idea.

One time I saw this woman walking by in this super cute skirt, so I hollered out "I love your skirt!" She turned around, smiled really big, and went "thanks! look! IT HAS POCKETS!" and jammed her hands into what must have been totally awesome SKIRT POCKETS.

I feel like the world needs more skirts with pockets. Surely she was not the only person on earth who could be made happy by such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

I guess I do mostly take care of my clothes because I make almost everything I wear. I only have store bought jeans because I have to wear them at work.

It would not be difficult to argue that caring about pockets correlates to taking care of your things.

Also I think you should make bra pockets. I'm pretty sure I've seen such a thing (maybe on sports bras?) and it struck me as incredibly useful. You could maybe attach them to straps with velcro to go on any old bra.

I once had a pair of boxers with a condom pocket. It was the same design as basically every pair of swim trunks I had until the late 90s when they merged with Bermuda shorts.