Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Hello all, Queen Victorian pointed me to this thread based on a post I made in the home ownership thread. I've quoted the post below.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Hey guys, I have somewhat of an interior design question. Please let me know if there would be a better place to ask this. My wife and I have been thinking about renovating our kitchen, and we are in the "planning & budgeting" phase (a.k.a. we are sitting pretty waiting to see if the huge jump in contractor costs starts to drop off at some point). There is a home that showed up on Zillow that my wife looked at the photos of and mentioned that she really loves the kitchen aesthetic**. In the normal times I'd go to an open house so I could actually look closely at the materials and appliances they used to try to figure out what it all is, but we are unable to gain access to the home and I only have the pictures from Zillow to work with.

The pictures are below. I'm a complete novice when it comes to knowing the names of different materials or designs, so I'm not sure what to start looking up to figure out what to ask a potential contractor for when it comes time to renovate the kitchen. This bit me in the rear end awhile back when we had our master bath renovated since that was an emergency situation and we didn't have time to really sit and think about what we wanted. What kind of tile is that on the floor (and the backsplash?). What kind of material is that counter? What do I call that sink? What brand or design are those appliances? I know that this place was renovated recently, so that stuff can't be that old. I also love those doors, but I'm pretty sure I could just point to a picture and tell someone "those" and they'd be able to figure out what I wanted.

**My wife actually spent that last week trying to convince me to just buy this house since it has more than just a kitchen that she's in love with, and we could probably afford it, but talking to the realtors today gave me the most insane story, which I'll post shortly in the house buying thread. The summary is that this house cannot be purchased because the housing market is not even following any logic anymore in Riverside.

She seemed to have some criticism of the kitchen pictured, but didn't go into them there. Realize I'm a complete newbie at design and decoration, so be gentle with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

your living room looks like shit

is it possible to float a sofa perpendicular to the longer room length but off-center without it looking weird?

for example, you have a 78" sofa in a 138" x 192" room. If you have it go perpendicular and center it, you only have 30" on each side. That's a bit small (I think 36" is the preferred minimum). but you could do 36"/24", especially if there's something on the adjoining wall on the 24" side anyway.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 17, 2021

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Hello all, Queen Victorian pointed me to this thread based on a post I made in the home ownership thread. I've quoted the post below.

She seemed to have some criticism of the kitchen pictured, but didn't go into them there. Realize I'm a complete newbie at design and decoration, so be gentle with me.

There were a lot of choices made in that kitchen. It looks like they were going for an old farmhouse look with all of the brick & that sink (which by the way is a giant apron sink).

Counters are granite. Backsplash is a brick veneer. Oven looks like a real vintage oven, but there are a few companies that make fake ones. Flooring looks like brick.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Hey welcome to the interior design Q&A thread! As for what bugs me about that kitchen, hobbez captured much of my sentiment in the home owner thread -it's simultaneously sparse and busy, the choice in finishes and styles is a weird mishmash of influences (rustic farmhouse, craftsman, modern, builder grade contemporary), clashing textures and colors (super busy floor/backsplash material, granite, paneled black millwork) - it just doesn't mesh well. The layout is weird and not particularly good (not much counter space other than the island, and not much in the way of uppers), and it's hard to get a decent sense of scale with the fake wide angle distortion and the table and chairs being shoved against the wall. Also don't like the ceiling - it's a hybrid of vaulting and tray ceiling (probably necessitated by needing to hide ducting), but seems to be a result of lazy design or vaulting added after the fact. Not really the kitchen's fault, but it's a detractor for me. Overall I really don't get what your wife sees in it. Like at all.

Luckily for you, this means that you can do waaaaay better in remodeling the kitchen you currently have. Maybe sit down with your wife and look at kitchen pics to get a sense of what she actually wants. Projects and photos on Houzz are a good place to start - you can filter by style and color and more. Also Pinterest.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

your living room looks like shit

I agree with the clash of styles, also the floor and backsplash looks like it's had sand poured on it in random places, it's really distracting

the flush lighting and white walls are a modern look, but the rest is kind of all over the place

the top of the oven isn't flush with the counters, and neither is the sink