Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

Comrade Gritty posted:

We're considering #5 for the floors, #1 for the bottom 2/3, and then #6 for the accent, but we're hesitant to do that because it feels like #5 and #6 together might also be different styles?

My vote is something like this. You’re staying in the long rectangle, dark to light theme. Maybe it’s different in person, but 5 and 6 look fine in the same vicinity. I think 5 as the floor will just disappear visually when it’s all done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Idunno if this is the right thread to ask, but what is the industry standard 3D modeling software for interior designers? I want to make a model of my living room and eventually my entire house so that I can mock up furniture placement and renovations, as well as make my own furniture models and apply my own textures.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kreeningsons posted:

Idunno if this is the right thread to ask, but what is the industry standard 3D modeling software for interior designers? I want to make a model of my living room and eventually my entire house so that I can mock up furniture placement and renovations, as well as make my own furniture models and apply my own textures.

There's a CG thread! (although I'm sure this thread will have good advice too)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2877226

Are you looking for just scale/placement or do you always want to be photoreal and rendered nice?

The short answer is, now-a-days, you can do it in any package really. Back in the day I think it was a lot of 3DSMax and V-Ray. Which it still probably is due to sheer momentum.

But you can just as easily do it in Blender, C4D (which is what I use, plus Octane renderer), Maya, whatever.

How much 3D experience do you have?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

BonoMan posted:

There's a CG thread! (although I'm sure this thread will have good advice too)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2877226

Are you looking for just scale/placement or do you always want to be photoreal and rendered nice?

The short answer is, now-a-days, you can do it in any package really. Back in the day I think it was a lot of 3DSMax and V-Ray. Which it still probably is due to sheer momentum.

But you can just as easily do it in Blender, C4D (which is what I use, plus Octane renderer), Maya, whatever.

How much 3D experience do you have?

Oh nice, I’ll be sure to post there!

I have an ok amount of modeling and assembly experience. I had a couple courses in college that had a large solidworks component and I’ve had to construct models a handful of times in my professional life (mostly tooling or simple assemblies). I also made a sketchup model of a retail space a couple years ago. Things I’ve never done are texturing, rendering, lighting, working with complex contours (splines?), or using sculpting brushes.

I’m wondering if Solidworks might be ok since I have access to a license through work? Or whether it would be worth seeking out a copy of Sketchup on my own. This will be mostly used for layout and placement but still, a nice render with lighting would be dope.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I use solidworks for interior layouts for my own place, and I don't recommend it.

I do it because I use it daily for work so even though it's not the right tool I know enough to force it to do what I want.

The biggest issues are lighting because it's intended to use the exterior of the objects, and it's terrible color/ texture tools.

If you're already familiar with it and just want to do layouts it'll work, but don't expect much more.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kreeningsons posted:

It may be different at the very high end, but the designers I work with mostly use sketchup, and mostly just for floor plans or maybe cabinet elevations. They don't model everything out because their vendors don't have models of all their products. The usually have a floor plan and then a board with photos of the furniture/rugs/lighting fixtures and fabric swatches/paint chips. I think Revit will do 3d walkthroughs but I think it is more architectural than for interior designers.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It may be different at the very high end, but the designers I work with mostly use sketchup, and mostly just for floor plans or maybe cabinet elevations. They don't model everything out because their vendors don't have models of all their products. The usually have a floor plan and then a board with photos of the furniture/rugs/lighting fixtures and fabric swatches/paint chips. I think Revit will do 3d walkthroughs but I think it is more architectural than for interior designers.

Sketch up is fun and decent for scoping spaces but I’d want something that actually had the appropriate furniture models.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I do all my interior design modeling in the Sims.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I need to find blinds for my bedroom window, the building across the street installed intense exterior lights that fill the place with insanely bright blue light.

The window is oddly shaped, it’s 47” wide and 61” high. I was thinking Venetian/mini blinds would be easy to use, I could just reach over from bed to open and close them, ideally. It would be nice not to have to raise an entire shade to be able to get some light.

I’m open to other suggestions and if anyone has a good source for blinds or shades that would fit that window, I could use it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Snowy posted:

I need to find blinds for my bedroom window, the building across the street installed intense exterior lights that fill the place with insanely bright blue light.

The window is oddly shaped, it’s 47” wide and 61” high. I was thinking Venetian/mini blinds would be easy to use, I could just reach over from bed to open and close them, ideally. It would be nice not to have to raise an entire shade to be able to get some light.

I’m open to other suggestions and if anyone has a good source for blinds or shades that would fit that window, I could use it.

is it a kenny rogers roasters by any chance

in all seriousness, I would just look at bali, they do custom sizing https://www.baliblinds.com/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

actionjackson posted:

is it a kenny rogers roasters by any chance

in all seriousness, I would just look at bali, they do custom sizing https://www.baliblinds.com/

The roasters was red!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

business use of high color temperature lighting should be punishable by death

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kreeningsons posted:

Oh nice, I’ll be sure to post there!

I have an ok amount of modeling and assembly experience. I had a couple courses in college that had a large solidworks component and I’ve had to construct models a handful of times in my professional life (mostly tooling or simple assemblies). I also made a sketchup model of a retail space a couple years ago. Things I’ve never done are texturing, rendering, lighting, working with complex contours (splines?), or using sculpting brushes.

I’m wondering if Solidworks might be ok since I have access to a license through work? Or whether it would be worth seeking out a copy of Sketchup on my own. This will be mostly used for layout and placement but still, a nice render with lighting would be dope.

Honestly if you want nice lighting and flexibility, I'd def recommend just grabbing blender and then hitting up turbosquid, cgtrader, sketchfab, evermotion etc for models that you don't want to make yourself. Or even C4D with Octane. It's soooo easy to get good looking renders setup fairly quickly (but Blender with Cycles/Eevee is free).

I'm also a fan of Greyscale Gorilla Plus (which is a paid sub) for their various textures, etc. That's C4D only though at the moment.

Also curveball, but there's also TwinMotion - the realtime ArchViz solution from Epic.

https://www.twinmotion.com/en-US

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Snowy posted:

I assume the closing and opening from the bed rules out room darkening cellular shades? You can get ones that have an extra horizontal bar in the middle that you pull up for darkening and down for a sheer.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

actionjackson posted:

business use of high color temperature lighting should be punishable by death

Unfortunately this is a residential apartment building in Queens NY. In the last few years the neighborhood has become lit up like a prison yard at night. They could at least make it warm light but NOPE. And my apartment is at an angle that makes it so the light is pouring into every room, it looks like cars are coming at us. I was going to go complain about the new lights then realized my building is almost as bad so I’d be a hypocrite.

actionjackson posted:

I’ll check it out, thank you

Turbinosamente posted:

I assume the closing and opening from the bed rules out room darkening cellular shades? You can get ones that have an extra horizontal bar in the middle that you pull up for darkening and down for a sheer.

The last time I looked at them they seemed very reasonably priced for smaller windows and stupidly expensive for larger ones, so I had written them off but I’ll take another look, thanks. I also didn’t know about that multi layer thing, it sounds cool

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The issue is light pollution. If you approach it that way, you might be able to get them (both your landlord and the other building) to direct it downward at least. I don't think blinds are super effective; most people do blackout curtains, which are cheaper plus easier to customize a size.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Snowy posted:

The last time I looked at them they seemed very reasonably priced for smaller windows and stupidly expensive for larger ones, so I had written them off but I’ll take another look, thanks. I also didn’t know about that multi layer thing, it sounds cool

I ripped this image off of blinds.com for a quick example if it helps to see one. And you can get black out fabrics for the bottom part too. Again, I have never used the website (this is not an endorsement) they were just the fastest way I could find an example pic.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anne Whateley posted:

The issue is light pollution. If you approach it that way, you might be able to get them (both your landlord and the other building) to direct it downward at least.

The problem is they’re all hard mounted and can’t be angled as far as I can tell, like this

And they’re all over the place in Jackson Heights these days so it feels like an impossible battle. Most people probably aren’t affected quite as badly as we are I assume, we’re on a low floor and every room is exposed to the street.

I’m a lovely sleeper so it made my heart sink to say the least when I saw the effect of these lights. :(

quote:

I don't think blinds are super effective; most people do blackout curtains, which are cheaper plus easier to customize a size.

That’s probably the best move, I bet you’re right. I just assumed I’d end up leaving blackout curtains closed more, like they’d be more unwieldy to use since the window is also behind my nightstand (not ideal but you know, NYC spaces are hard). My girlfriend loves the sheers we have there now and they do look beautiful, and I don’t want to live in a lightless cave but I need to do something to maintain my sanity.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You could do a double rod with sheers for the day and blackouts for night. You should mount the pole so there's extra space on all four sides, which you need so light doesn't get in around the edges, but it also means during the day you can get the blackout curtains completely on the sides of the window.

They do make shields, though, that should take like 15 minutes for the super to mount if you can talk them into it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Those are both excellent ideas, thank you Anne :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks! Btw maybe this is obvious, but if it's a pain to open-close the curtains, you should look into a rope pull / pull string / traverse curtain rod. That's the kind of quality of life thing that imo is totally worth it even in a rental.

The shields aren't expensive either, btw, you can offer to supply them if that makes it easier, so literally all it needs is the super's time

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anne Whateley posted:

Thanks! Btw maybe this is obvious, but if it's a pain to open-close the curtains, you should look into a rope pull / pull string / traverse curtain rod.

You might think it’s obvious but I am a very basic bitch when it comes to curtains so thanks again

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
While browsing for some cool sneakers I found, that were apparently worn by the Mujahadin, I found an incredible rug being sold by the same seller on ebay.

MetaJew posted:

Today I learned about the Servis Cheetahs.

$130 seems steep for Pakistan military surplus shoes, but they do look cool.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7177069503845518634

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195366006667

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 17, 2022

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Quote not edit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MetaJew posted:

While browsing for some cool sneakers I found, that were apparently worn by the Mujahadin, I found an incredible rug being sold by the same seller on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195366006667

$115 that is a hella good price

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
anyone have recommendations for those pullout cabinet organizers? I have the usual 90s cabinetry, drawers are about 9.75" (let's say 9.5" usable) and cabinet doors are just under a foot (11.75" max, 11.5" usable?).

In particular I need something to handle tupperware organizing and similar, those turn into a complete mess over time no matter how careful I am. The pullout shelf could have something fixed that just sits inside, but I'd like something with pull-out rails for the bottom (getting down on my knees while I clean it up means it doesn't get done) and there's also the corner ones where it'd be nice to have a multi-stage pullout.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

anyone have recommendations for those pullout cabinet organizers? I have the usual 90s cabinetry, drawers are about 9.75" (let's say 9.5" usable) and cabinet doors are just under a foot (11.75" max, 11.5" usable?).

In particular I need something to handle tupperware organizing and similar, those turn into a complete mess over time no matter how careful I am. The pullout shelf could have something fixed that just sits inside, but I'd like something with pull-out rails for the bottom (getting down on my knees while I clean it up means it doesn't get done) and there's also the corner ones where it'd be nice to have a multi-stage pullout.

I have been reading the various house/interior/cabinet -related threads on the Something Awful forums and I can say with certainly the only sane option for what I'm looking at there is to install a toilet seat in it.

e: Oh gently caress this was the actual Q&A thread. Well, still.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Paul MaudDib posted:

Look at revashelf. They make TONS of that kind of thing.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

ohhyeah posted:

My vote is something like this. You’re staying in the long rectangle, dark to light theme. Maybe it’s different in person, but 5 and 6 look fine in the same vicinity. I think 5 as the floor will just disappear visually when it’s all done.

We ended up doing this, except to minimize cost and maintenance on the marble, we just did a horizontal stripe. I think it came out really well once all is said and done!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Steam shower? :jealous: I’ve wanted to put one in ever since I stayed in a Vegas suite that had one. Some day.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Anne Whateley posted:

The issue is light pollution. If you approach it that way, you might be able to get them (both your landlord and the other building) to direct it downward at least. I don't think blinds are super effective; most people do blackout curtains, which are cheaper plus easier to customize a size.
I've had both blackout blinds and blackout cellular blinds, and the cellular ones are far, far more effective. For one thing, they leak less light around the edges.

e: Be sure to do some casual shopping before you order direct from Bali. You can often get them cheaper from (say) blindster.com .

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
With laminated hardwood, is it typical to do the whole region in one color, or to use different colors for different rooms (eg bedrooms vs hall)?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Look at revashelf. They make TONS of that kind of thing.

Perfect, thanks!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Paul MaudDib posted:

With laminated hardwood, is it typical to do the whole region in one color, or to use different colors for different rooms (eg bedrooms vs hall)?
I've seen this very occasionally done to good effect by some some very good interior designers in very nice houses with big, formal rooms, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's one of those things where if you're asking the question, you probably shouldn't do it. Doing the all the floors on each level of a house the same is the standard for a reason.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our bathrooms have different flooring and molding (white/marble) than the other rooms (wood/wood). The transition strip under the doors make it fine.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm looking for some home decor items and wanted to look somewhere besides the typical Target, Pottery Barn, etc kinds of places. I was looking at Etsy but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Are there any other home decor sites that are recommended to browse through?

For some context, I'm looking for a "stuff" bowl to hold cables and remotes in the living room that looks kind of nice but isn't made of glass and probably not wood either. A lot of the stuff I found on Etsy was made out of concrete because I guess that's easy but ideally this wouldn't be too heavy. Color wise it would be white/gray/light colors if that helps at all.

Style wise it would be simple but kind of modern and not too large, maybe 8-10 inches in diameter.

e: I forgot the most important part of the question which was that it I'm not looking to spend too much. Maybe like $80-$100 max? I know that's not a very large budget for some home decor.

net work error fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 16, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

net work error posted:

I'm looking for some home decor items and wanted to look somewhere besides the typical Target, Pottery Barn, etc kinds of places. I was looking at Etsy but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Are there any other home decor sites that are recommended to browse through?

For some context, I'm looking for a "stuff" bowl to hold cables and remotes in the living room that looks kind of nice but isn't made of glass and probably not wood either. A lot of the stuff I found on Etsy was made out of concrete because I guess that's easy but ideally this wouldn't be too heavy. Color wise it would be white/gray/light colors if that helps at all.

Style wise it would be simple but kind of modern and not too large, maybe 8-10 inches in diameter.

e: I forgot the most important part of the question which was that it I'm not looking to spend too much. Maybe like $80-$100 max? I know that's not a very large budget for some home decor.

Maybe I’m just dumb, but why would you want to put cables and remotes in a $100 bowl on your coffee table? Isn’t there a better place to put away cables?

Hit up a couple of thrift stores. You’ll find something.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Because it looks nice? I keep mine in a hand made bowl I found in Israel.

Check out your local college or other places amateur artists gather I'm sure you'll be able to find something unique for not crazy expensive.

I'm sure you'll all hate this because it's too gamer or whatever but I finished the accent lights in my theater room and I'm really happy with how they turned out.

messy closet I know

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 16, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

Because it looks nice? I keep mine in a hand made bowl I found in Israel.

You keep like usb cables out in a bowl? Why? How can that bowl look nicer with cables in it than without cables in it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigFactory posted:

You keep like usb cables out in a bowl? Why? How can that bowl look nicer with cables in it than without cables in it?

I keep my USB cables either in a box on a shelf in my office or coiled up and plugged in, but if you're gonna leave them on your coffee table, they're better in a bowl. I guess I meant more about the remotes, which I think most people put in a bowl for convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've got one of these Billy book cases, and I'm planning on putting Lego sets and collectibles in them behind glass doors. It looks like I'm supposed to use Hogbos for that, but they don't come in birch. Only the Oxburg doors seem to come in birch, but I don't wanna spend the money on six of those drat things. Are there any other products, IKEA or not, that work as glass doors for Billies?