Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Usually when I find cool vintage furniture it's either too big for the space I'd want to put it in or that same far too beat to poo poo and scraped up condtion. I still go look at architectural salvage places once in a while, though with the vain hope of finding something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

kreeningsons posted:

Closest I can think of off the top of my head is the multicolor console by Hay, which is very tame compared to any authentic memphis piece, but it has the color blocking at least. The memphis & “postmodern” buy/sell group on Facebook has some very garish second hand finds occasionally by unnamed designers. Most of the other clearly memphis inspired stuff I can find is as expensive as a used authentic memphis piece.

Gonna make me get a facebook account :negative:

That does look cool however! For reference, here's the apartment I'm gonna be putting the sideboard in. It's been described as "the native habitat of Memphis style" by Kaiser Schnitzel and "absolutely amazing" by a friend of mine who collects 80s contemporary furniture and posters. The sideboard would go off to the left out of frame against a wall there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you like good 18th/19th century antiques (and you should!) there are some real bargains out there. A friend just bought a late 18th/early 19thc American walnut low dresser

Wow do tell!

Ah.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

corgski posted:

Gonna make me get a facebook account :negative:

That does look cool however! For reference, here's the apartment I'm gonna be putting the sideboard in. It's been described as "the native habitat of Memphis style" by Kaiser Schnitzel and "absolutely amazing" by a friend of mine who collects 80s contemporary furniture and posters. The sideboard would go off to the left out of frame against a wall there.

Ok so after seeing this space (amazing btw), this shop (etsy, instagram) has been going hard with re-covering otherwise ordinary pieces with Sottsass designed composite wood Alpi veneer. That’s the same stuff that is used as veneer on the Tartar and Freemont consoles. They have a few dressers, but maybe could convinced to do a custom piece which I think would fit pretty perfectly in this space. They beat me to this idea, I went as far as finding a supplier for this veneer a few years ago, but never got around to making my dream coffee table. poo poo, maybe I’ll ask if they’ll do a commission for me too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wow do tell!

Ah.

That's a bargain in my book on a piece which would cost 4x that to reproduce, is literally unique, and 20 years ago when antiques were still in style would have been $5k easily. It also has great lines, a beautiful color etc etc. and its hard to buy a decent quality, solid wood dresser new for $950.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That’s true, but if you haven’t noticed, everything is expensive as poo poo and people are being laid off left and right. Seven years ago you could get a $150 new Ikea dresser or you could get a $50 dresser from 1920 or 1950. Now that vintage dresser is probably going to be flipped, which means having its curves cut off, its pulls replaced, and being spraypainted or paint washed, for $500+. Or an unflipped vintage dresser for $200 if you can somehow beat all the flippers to it. Or the Ikea dresser for $200.

I’m sure a $1k dresser is great, but for a lot of people, it’s not realistic to spend your rent on a dresser.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

kreeningsons posted:

Ok so after seeing this space (amazing btw), this shop (etsy, instagram) has been going hard with re-covering otherwise ordinary pieces with Sottsass designed composite wood Alpi veneer. That’s the same stuff that is used as veneer on the Tartar and Freemont consoles. They have a few dressers, but maybe could convinced to do a custom piece which I think would fit pretty perfectly in this space. They beat me to this idea, I went as far as finding a supplier for this veneer a few years ago, but never got around to making my dream coffee table. poo poo, maybe I’ll ask if they’ll do a commission for me too.

Oh yeah ok, what they're doing is absolutely something that would work here. Thanks so much!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

That’s true, but if you haven’t noticed, everything is expensive as poo poo and people are being laid off left and right. Seven years ago you could get a $150 new Ikea dresser or you could get a $50 dresser from 1920 or 1950. Now that vintage dresser is probably going to be flipped, which means having its curves cut off, its pulls replaced, and being spraypainted or paint washed, for $500+. Or an unflipped vintage dresser for $200 if you can somehow beat all the flippers to it. Or the Ikea dresser for $200.

I’m sure a $1k dresser is great, but for a lot of people, it’s not realistic to spend your rent on a dresser.
You can absolutely still get deals like this. I do it all the time. The caveats are that (1) you have to live in a major metro area where people have taste; and (2) make Facebook Marketplace your default pooping game.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I live in NYC and I’m all over facebook marketplace. The market has changed significantly in the last 5 years. Almost all antique/vintage pieces of the kind I used to get for nothing are either dramatically more expensive, newly spraypainted and dramatically more expensive, or “oh I actually sold it to someone this morning.”

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Have you found a stupid, wagon-wheel, Roy-Rogers, garage-sale coffee table?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Now excuse me while I move clean clothing from my bed to my recliner and back after I sleep.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Duck and Cover posted:

Now excuse me while I move clean clothing from my bed to my recliner and back after I sleep.

That's beautiful!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Going to need a couple of spray paint cans for that. jk

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I purchased a table from http://www.iannonedesign.com/ awhile a go and today it arrived.

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh we're posting desks? Sure I can do that.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 29, 2024

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Any suggestions for mid tier wood furniture shops with an online presence? Craftsman style would be a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spikes32 posted:

Any suggestions for mid tier wood furniture shops with an online presence? Craftsman style would be a bonus.

https://www.bearsinthewoodsamishfurniture.com/

When I was local to this shop I bought a couple solid wood Craftsman style side/coffee tables from this place, that was 20 years ago and they are still in my living room. Great quality stuff. The site says they can ship their furniture but I don't actually know how far they are willing to do it. You will have to call or email to find out.