Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
That plan really is the candidate for a room divider. It feels as big as a basketball court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

deoju posted:

I've got this weird corner in my apartment and I don't know what the hell to do with it.

I used to have my desk there, but it just ended up being the place where I threw poo poo I didn't know what to do with. That window faces almost due south, and It's how I get most sunlight in the room so I don't want to block it. My place consists of bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and this room, so it is where I spend most of my time.
Here's a little map I drew up to help me plan things...

Any tips on what the gently caress to do here would be appreaciated.

This is really dependent on your hobbies/interests? I'd turn it into a draw/paint space since it's a good spot for a canvas and mirror with the south light and add a wall mounted bookcase to one side to be a bonus library with my plants getting honorary top shelf space for max light exposure.

Also a good spot for a record player or a bar if you're into mixing cocktails and entertaining. Combine with art you like.

Comedy option, build a stage out of discard wood, host open mic nights.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
So when are the monkeys showing up

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
If I wanted to buy an arm to hold a pendant light from the vertical wall, what search term should i be using? I'm afraid to put holes in the ceiling of our rental so thought an arm might be a work around. It doesn't need to swing, just be stationary

OR has anyone installed one of these and if it left a big screw hole when you removed it?

https://www.colorcord.com/products/pinch-swag-hook?variant=12363353587814

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 10, 2021

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Do you like that it flares out or that there are arm pillows?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Anne Whateley posted:

Both, but I think the arm pillows are the more unusual aspect

It's like a weird hybrid of a Knoll and Knole sofa. If you google Knole Sofa that might get you started. Side pillow couches are pretty common on the modern side too https://www.roveconcepts.com/nico-sofa. Someone might be able to find you a higher end one. The one you posted is cheap because it's very basic construction of simple blocks and might not have a higher end cousin.

Came here to post that I got my moon lamp up. It's more of a mood lighting than functional but it's so pretty.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

actionjackson posted:

you might want to post this in the paint thread instead, there are some people with a lot of expertise in there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3972382

cool light, do you not have a junction box up there?

It's a rental and we're only here for another year. The extension cord is bad but best I can do without a big lighting project I don't want to mess with.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Anne Whateley posted:

Both, but I think the arm pillows are the more unusual aspect

Closest I’ve seen so far

https://www.bolia.com/en/sofas/all-sofa-designs/?family=gaia&lastfacet=family

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Having been to a Value City you are correct.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
It's probably the roof line. We had a lot of closets like that in my parent's turn of the century 4-square.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Trying to figure out a rug to go in the living space and in general how to lay out this area. I want more seating for visitors and my partner is insistent that people will move our dining chairs and I say lol at that actually happening. We didn’t do it when his sister was over and sort of just crowded around the couch. That’s my own discussion to take on. I’m leaning towards a simpler cool toned rug in blue. I’m really liking some of the simpler kilim rugs and less florals. The couch is more of the statement so I’m wanting more understated. The challenge is the space will take a minimum 9x12 rug. For scale the couch is 7ft total.

Will also take suggestions on stool styles. We are trying buy used so I don’t really have a budget other than more on the lower side.

I lean more towards contemporary and mid century modern. Please excuse the mess as we moved in literally 2 weeks ago.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Really like your second pick, but in the ivory/green color way

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Haha yea I put the couch in a green painted room with a similar hue last time I had the space to actually have some form of decor. Been living in a shoebox for the past 3 years so I’m very overwhelmed with all the options. I’m glad industrial modern and all that grey has left the landscape. And death to farmhouse.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
:eyepop: the last one. Requested a quote. There’s also a similar one locally I’m waiting the seller to send me a size.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Double post, but took inspiration from the last rug and found something for the brief. Partner approves with a "this is nice".

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Gard...33#reviewRegion

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Just taped off the area to get a sense of scale. 8x10 is so small in this space

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Anyone have experience with Article? I'm lusting over their Anton and Matrix lounge/armchair and curious about quality. Being good about buying used furniture, but I want to treat myself to a comfy reading chair I can just curl up in. Don't really have space for a recliner. I’m looking for something that comes in a deep ocean to navy blue. I'm a pretty average sized person so don't need anything too big.

Also we found a used rug in great condition for the living room. I’m getting a yellow arm chair today. Furniture is going to be primary colors :getin:. But our dining chairs and bar seating is wood/brown. Old dining chairs are our stand ins for now.

Edit: looks like Houzz has a whole complaint thread. drat. Anyone point me to a good spot to nab a comfy reading chair? I'm willing to splurge a little.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 8, 2022

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Offerup is another one and easier to browse than FB marketplace, which has a poo poo level search.

Also browse instagram for vintage stores. Some charge way too much, but you'll find a gem doing the estate hunting and selling at a good price point. I got an all wood Lane table for $250 at our local place.

When hunting at estate sales and thrift stores, try to bring the piece out to the center away from the clutter to get a real sense of it. Something surrounded by other stuff looks way different on its own. Also is it actually not a great table or just dirty? Most problems can be solved with dish soap and water + mineral oil. Also if you don't like the sense of style/cheap cheap furniture someone is selling just walk away and don't waste your time because it will all be like that.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 12, 2022

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The floor is always colder.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
No one ever cleans the tops of their cabinets

🥲

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Open shelving was a perfect trend for flippers and is my biggest red flag in kitchen renos

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Any panel will create a dividing line so it's up to you if we want to make the two windows "one window" or divide the space. It depends on the distance between the two windows but if they're that close you can prob get away with a long rod holding 4 panels since they sound smaller.

Also floor to ceiling panels will make the room look taller and more luxe.

But also look into shades instead of panels. It's really up to the look and light blockage you want.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

NZAmoeba posted:

Same! But finding something that looked good but also matched was... well yeah. At least they pair together.

:ohdear:

we uhhh... kept the feet.

In our defence, this bathroom is upstairs and there was no safe way to get it down, the stairwell also has a 100+ year old stained glass window we didn't want to risk, let alone accidentally smashing a wall.

:(

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Also a local ceramic artist would love your business. They all hang out on Instagram

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

kreeningsons posted:

Can I get some help with shoe storage? I always thought it looks trashy to keep a bunch of shoes by the door so I never did. But now I have no mud room or coat closet and need to keep 3-4 pairs of shoes by the front door.

We have the big Yamazaki rack and use it for an entryway console. We take our shoes off at the door because it keeps the house cleaner overall and living in NYC and walking the streets makes you want to not track that crap in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
You do a grace of $750 limit free of import taxes