Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hi everyone.. I'm here to get some feedback about my upcoming bathroom renovation. It's a small room, only 2.9 x 2m (9.5 x 6.6ft) so this has put limitations on where things can be placed within the room without having drawers/doors opening into other objects within the room.

Here's my lovely bathroom as it appears right now:

View standing in the doorway:

View looking to the right:

View looking to the left:

As you might have noticed, there's a bit of assistive tech in this room because mr bee is a lower-leg amputee. We'll be replacing the toilet frame, suction-cup grab rails and shower seat with permanent grab rails in the shower, next to the toilet and bath, and adding a floating bench shower seat.

And here is the colour scheme we're thinking of going with:

Grey on the floor, off-white walls, dark blue/grey penny round feature wall.

Here is a 3d mock-up I made of two options for the room. The wall tiles are the wrong colour as the program I used didn't have many options to use different textures on the walls. We added a wall between the shower and bathtub, so there's somewhere to hang towels and affix the floating shower seat. There will be a sliding panel glass door across the entrance to the shower. We will likely add a shower shelf alcove above the floating bench, and perhaps one under the window next to the bathtub as well.

I can't decide whether to put the feature wall behind the vanity or on the rear wall. One of my friends says that even though it's a small room, it'll be ok to have the penny rounds on the rear wall because they're a dark tone so they'll make the room look deeper. But there's a lot happening on that back wall, with the bath, window, towel rails, shower bench, and bath tapware. It feels like it'd be a lot simpler (and cheaper) to have the feature wall be behind the vanity, so the pattern doesn't overwhelm the room or make it look too busy.

I'd love to get some objective opinions on this, after weeks of looking at pictures of bathrooms I think I've become desensitised and will just agree to whatever just so I don't have to think about it anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

We're going to get a back to wall bath, so there won't be any behind to have to clean :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

Is the floating bench going to be tiled as well? If so maybe see what that would look like in the white tile. It might look like poo poo or it might pop out and look good.

We were planning to have the floating bench tiled, but adding a smooth slab on the top of it which would be the same white/light finish as the top of the vanity.

Here's another mockup with the bench having a white slab over the top. I also added some tapware!

actionjackson posted:

I just think the divider should not be black if that wall is also black in the first pic.

The rear wall / divider isn't black, it's going to be a dark blue and grey gradient. I just didn't have the option to colour it like that in the mock up program I used. Here's another picture of the tile:

I note too that the tile looks quite different depending on the grout used. I think I would choose a darker grout to try and make keeping it looking clean a bit easier.

https://tilecloud.com.au/products/broadwater-dark-blue-mix-gloss-penny-round-mosaic-tile

bee fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 13, 2021

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I think I needed my fears about the back wall being too busy and overwhelming dispelled. I'll post pictures again in a couple of weeks once things are underway. We're meeting with the builder on Thursday to draw up plans and book in a start date.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

A very dark, or navy blue? Possibly bottle green?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Those look similar in colour to the ones we just used in our bathroom, which is also small in size. We ended up using square ones on the floor to avoid there been too much visual busy-ness in the room.

We did go with longer tiles laid horizontally on the walls and it seems to have worked well to make the room look like it's a little more spacious than it actually is:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Hello thread! Our bathroom is finally almost finished - we're just waiting on the glazier to come and install the sliding shower door but here's some before/after pictures:

And a bonus of the new shower alcove and bench:

We're pretty happy with how everything turned out, even if it took about twice as long as we expected to get done thanks to supplier issues.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

What brand tub is that?

It's this one: https://decina.com.au/product/alegra-back-to-wall-freestanding-bath/

Yep, there's a channel drain under the bench. Once the glass door is in it'll stop the water going all over the place too :)

There's one of those ixl-tastic 3 in 1 heat fan light combo things in the centre of the ceiling, I guess I just didn't angle my phone enough to get it in the shots.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Wet rooms are fascinating to me as an American. Does the floor get all soapy and grimey? The drain is just that little rectangle cutout thing in the center of the room?

I have never been in a wet room bathroom.

e: or is the drain under the shower bench seat?

e2: whoa I got beaten on all this and didn't read!

Our ensuite is a wet room and it's a pain in the arse. It wouldn't be as bad if the tiling sloped towards the drain instead of away from it but after every shower you gotta squeegee the water back into the shower and at the drain or it just stays in a puddle in the middle of the room forever :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Loucks posted:

This rules.

Having cleaned a LOT of wet rooms that are properly set up they’re incredibly convenient bc you can just hose them down with soap and then rinse with water and let the filth drain away. Pity your contractor trolled you.

It wasn't us, it was the people who owned this house before us. My next door neighbour told me that when the previous owner had the bathroom and ensuite renovated, the contractors involved screwed things up on such a grand scale that eventually the owner came to fisticuffs with them in the front yard over it.

We discovered all kinds of exciting things during the renovation! Joists that didn't go all the way down to the floor, water damage where the waterproofing wasn't done correctly, and the shower drainpipe had gotten a bunch of grout dumped into it at some point, so it was clogging and full of hair and slime which explained why the bathroom always smelled bad.

But yeah, I see the appeal of a wet room, especially for a small space like our ensuite. But when it's not executed by someone who knows what they're doing it turns into a nuisance rather than something functional.