Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Hello goons, I'm trying to find a table that doesn't cost $kidney. Something along the lines of https://www.thosmoser.com/product/edo-trestle-table/ or https://nakashimawoodworkers.com/furniture/frenchmans-cove-ii/, but more in the $2500 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

It's the first piece of furniture other than a grey couch in the room, so color is somewhat flexible. Wood, not glass, and I generally like walnut but am not opposed to lighter woods. 80-ish inches long, and if I can find it I'd lean a bit wider than normal, more in the 40-45" range than the common 36". Most of what you linked are just generic 4 leg dining tables, I'm looking for things like what I linked, a lighter weight trestle rather than the common farmhouse/rustic styles.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

I figured this would be an ok place to ask: Is it really stupid to get carpeting put in if the budget can stretch enough to get vinyl plank flooring?

I've seen that the planks last much much longer, are easier to clean, improve the resale value of the home... I just don't think I like em! I prefer going barefoot at home and I hate the idea of putting my feet down on cold hardwood flooring in Michigan winters, the dog and cat are not gonna enjoy running around the den or down the hallway (the dog already somewhat avoids the kitchen), and I don't like the idea of getting down on a hard floor to play with them either. And yet everything I read and all my family's advice is that I'm being stupid to consider wasting money on carpeting rather than spend 2-3x the price on hardwood.

Unless you're going to sell in the next year or two, do the thing that makes you happy.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

does anyone know if bathroom wall cabinets like this can be installed without the back? I assume you can - I want to put something on the wall, but I want it to cover the outlet, so I can put my electric toothbrush in there while still being able to plug it in, while still having a door on front to conceal it. Perhaps I could also put on the back but just cut a hole for the outlet.

like this one https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/godmorgon-wall-cabinet-with-1-door-brown-stained-ash-effect-70457915/

for something you want to keep long term you want 100% wool. For the runner what size exactly are you looking for, what color, and what is your budget?

The back of one of those cabinets is a structural component that keeps it from racking. You'll need to cut a specific hole.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

AFewBricksShy and others maybe you will have some thoughts on this

My mirror is cracked due to me being stupid, and it's 42x48 which is not a standard size at all. The vanity top only has a very short backsplash, so there is about 2.5 inches between that and the bottom of the mirror currently (see pic). The closest size I can find that is still 48" wide so that it matches the vanity width is 36" high, so that would then be an 8.5 inch gap. Do you think that size would look fine if I put in a backsplash? The backsplash area goes to the wall on the right side, and is open on the left. I could reduce the height of that area of course if I moved the top of the mirror down, but I don't really want to do that because it's a good position for my height.

Pretty much any glass store should be able to cut you a mirror to whatever size you want.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have recommendations for stores that sell good drawer pulls other than restoration hardware / rejuvenation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

I appreciate this line of thinking, and I don't disagree, but it's gonna be cheap shades or no shades at all. I'm not going to adjust them 3 times a day. I have kids who are going to spill orange juice on them in a couple weeks. I'm not really looking for 10 year shades, heh.

I just need a middle ground between the plastic blinds from Home Depot that snap in a week and the 10-year option you mentioned.

I have stuff from selectblinds.com that looks just fine.