Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is this the thread where I ask people's opinions about some remodeling work I want to have done and get told all my ideas are stupid and bad?

Our kitchen sucks and we would like to improve it somewhat. We're doing this just for us and aren't planning on selling the house anytime soon but I want to get some opinions because I don't want to spend 20 grand and make my house worse in the eyes of the average home buyer, just in case we do have to sell it for some reason.

e: looks like it is, typing something up now.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

falz posted:

This thread may be most appropriate but I'm sure either is fine.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037

You're right though I think I'm gonna give it a shot here just because I'm really more concerned about the kinda design/layout aspects of it than the mechanical aspects of it, at least at this point.

Our kitchen is too small and has insufficient storage and countertop area and the pantry is unlit and small and the island is meh and there's this useless vestigial breakfast nook and stupid half bath hallway and also the laundry room sucks poo poo etc. We both love to cook and bake and we don't have enough room for gadgets and appliances, don't have enough pantry room, and don't have enough counter space.

The house in general is great and the kitchen is really the only bad aspect of it so I think the rest of the house warrants spending some money on the kitchen situation as long as it's spent intelligently. I think we'll probably end up hiring someone to do a couple designs for us (find them on Yelp or something?)

Incorrectly illustrated aspects due to my laziness and/or incompetence:
1. Those aren't actually French doors, they're sliders.
2. The dumb pillars and header thing between the kitchen and nook also exists between the kitchen and dining area but is not illustrated properly because I measured something wrong, you can see the pillars but the header isn't shown in the 3d views.
3. The slider in the nook doesn't get as close to the wall as is shown, there's room to do a ~25" lower counter depth on two sides, leaving the slider.
4. Ignore the door direction indicators

The window sills in the nook are exactly the height of our current counter tops. I.e. you wouldn't have to actually change anything about the windows (other than trimming or removing the sills) to put counters in there. You probably should. You just wouldn't have to.

The main thing we want to do is expand the kitchen into that nook, since I think it is completely moronic to have a breakfast nook 6' away from the main dining area, especially when the kitchen is so sub par and could really use that space. Right now we have a little island furniture thing in there and a pot rack so it's helping a little but even if we just put counters and lowers along 2 of the 3 walls it'd more than double our counter and lower cabinets. Just two walls of cabinets and lowers and maybe some open upper shelves in the corners would solve our functional problems completely I think. I don't think we want to try and match our 2006 style maple/granite though and do something more modern. So my second idea is to do a new island and make the island counter/cabinet match the nook counter/cabinet, trying to tie the two spaces together. I'd also make the island twice as deep as it is now, so there's cabinets on both sides.

I think to really do it right we'd get rid of the slider completely and replace it with a window so that we can have lowers on 3 sides, put the pot rack in front of the left/north window (it just looks out at the side of the neighbors house and yard) and reduce the height of the windows by 6" or whatever so that we can have some backsplash behind the counter. But not sure if we want to go that far. All options are on the table and we don't really have a set budget but I kind of feel like the two best options are either "spend a minimal amount just to make it functional" or "go whole hog and gut the whole thing and make a kick rear end kitchen." I kinda feel like trying to do something in the middle is going to end up being expensive while still not getting that great a result, if that makes sense. If we were to do a full remodel I'd feel kind of bad yanking out the cabinets and counters that are in the kitchen currently since they're not that bad, but there's also not that much of them (which is the whole problem) so I wouldn't feel that bad.

The other kinda big issue is that our pantry sucks. We're using the linen closet in the hallway as a second pantry and we also put a lot of kitchen gadgets in the garage and coat closet just because we don't have room in the kitchen. The expansion into the nook might be enough so that the small pantry isn't a big issue but all the wasted space for that hallway just sucks and bothers me. Like I get that it's supposed to create the illusion of privacy for the half bath but it doesn't work and who cares anyway. If someone goes in there and takes a dump you're still only separated from the living room by a 2x4 interior wall so the fact that the door is in a little hallway isn't going to save you.

So the idea would be to just flip the door from one side to the other (the toilet and sink locations permit this, they're not in the way), and make an enormous walk in pantry. Maybe could be a way to incorporate the laundry room and improve it also? It's small also. I've seen some houses with a combo laundry room/pantry but maybe that's not desirable, not sure.

Sooooo, any opinions or advice about any of this would be very welcome.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

actionjackson posted:

disclaimer: I hate kitchen islands

Can the island easily be removed? I'm guessing no, but if it could that would be awesome, it really interrupts the space.

And then do what with that space?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

actionjackson posted:

do the cabinets above the cooktop, oven, sink etc. not provide enough storage space?

bird with big dick posted:

Our kitchen is too small and has insufficient storage and countertop area

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I like islands because it lets me look at other people in the room or at the television while I'm standing at a counter rather than at a wall (or out a window, though that can be nice also) but regardless we're probably not going to do anything that eliminates any cabinet and countertop space.

Bloody posted:

what do you want out of your kitchen? do you cook a lot? bake a lot? entertain? when you cook, what level of complexity are you at? do you have children? (plan to) host fancy dinner parties? when the kitchen is being used, how many people are typically using it at once? what are your priorities?

for our kitchen, the priority was cooking ergonomics for a solo chef, and the layout fully embraces that: parallel counter tops with 3 clear work zones. fridge / sink / stove in an unobstructed equilateral triangle. butcher block counters in 1 zone used as a massive cutting board. it's great to cook in by myself, starts to feel a little crowded when my partner is in the space at the same time, and is basically unusable with anybody else in the space.

We both cook a lot and bake a lot and have dinner parties, no kids, and I'd say our level of complexity is essentially maximum. There will definitely be two of us in the kitchen pretty regularly. I think the nook becoming kitchen won't ever be ideal just because it'll always feel a little detached from the rest of the kitchen but functionally it'll probably be pretty good because one person can be in there doing prep type stuff and the other can be at the stove and the fridge will be in between the two so both will have unobstructed access to it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Queen Victorian posted:

The other thing I would do is combine the laundry room/passthrough with the pantry and hallway nook thing so you have a double-sized room were you can install a big wall of floor-to-ceiling shelving/cabinets for nonperishable foodstuffs and auxiliary equipment and such. I presume the outside door to the laundry room goes into the garage. If you combine these spaces, you’ll have an easier time unloading groceries because you don’t have to go through and around to a separate pantry. Also eliminates a door or two in the dining area so you have more space for a cool sideboard and a big art or something.

Yeah I had considered this briefly but hadn't really thought about it that much yet but more and more I'm thinking it would be better than leaving them separate. The resulting room would be about 16' x 5'8" and we could add some counter adjacent to the laundry sink which would be good for both laundry and unloading groceries, and of course there'd be tons of room for 12" and 18" depth pantry type shelves.

And yeah, that door goes to the garage.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Queen Victorian posted:

12” and 18” depth shelving is exactly what I was thinking, actually. But yeah I went immediately to the larger laundry/pantry combo idea because I was drawn to the cluster of claustrophobic little spaces you currently have and how they don’t really serve you that well because they’re so fragmented, not to mention the cramped dead space that is the powder room hall, which adds a weird thoroughfare right in the middle of the transition between your kitchen and dining area. The thing about turning the hall into the pantry (and leaving the laundry room as is) is that it still puts an extra door in the dining area and prevents you from having uninterrupted wall space for a centered sideboard (which would provide even more additional storage space). Also moving the powder room point of entry away from the dining area and out of the line of sight of the table is a good thing in my opinion (or it could just be me being an oversensitive weirdo - I host(ed) dinner parties a lot and get obsessed with not having anything uncouth like a powder room or dirty pots or unopened mail or whatever in anyone’s line of sight).

Oh, and it turns out I somehow got it in my head that the linen closet was a coat closet. I pointed losing the coat closet as a downside to the laundry/pantry combo, but I guess there’s not actually a coat closet getting lost? With the combined room you could easily carve out a section of shelving for linens and have them conveniently near the washer and dryer instead of through the kitchen and around the corner.

Yeah, it's linen rather than coat, and we absolutely don't need it because there's some built in upper and lower cabinets right by the guest bathroom and spare bedrooms that make a better linen closet. There's a coat closet but it's not shown, it's around the corner from the front door and accessed off the "hallway to BRs" hall.

I think we basically now have a good idea of what the progression of things should be in order of how much we decide we want to spend, something like:

1. Two walls worth of lower cabinets and counters plus open corner uppers in the nook.
2. 1 plus do the hallway converted into pantry/laundry combo.
3. 1-2 but get rid of the slider and put in a window and put lowers there also.
4. 1-3 plus redo the island so there's cabinets on both sides plus maybe bookshelves or something on the shorter sides.
5. Gut everything and start over.

I'm going to push for either 2 or 5. Wife will probably argue for 1.

Thanks everyone, this has been helpful, will probably try and get ahold of some designers over the next week.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Put a kitchen island in it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cornuto posted:

I feel like the ultimate red bathroom has already been done and can't be improved.

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1100753300465508353

jesus christ I don't think I ever saw the rough stacked stone in the shower what a genius idea should be easy to clean.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Steam shower? :jealous: I’ve wanted to put one in ever since I stayed in a Vegas suite that had one. Some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

smoobles posted:

Any goons proud of their home office setups? I could use visual inspiration.