Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

A philosophical design question. First of all, sorry for the grainy photo, I was genuinely too lazy to take it at a better time of day.

My parents raised me on the strict notion that form follows function. I've definitely rebelled, which is why you can see the edge of an absurd mirror frame in this picture. My question is about light switches and outlets. My parents' philosophy would have left this white switch plate exactly as it is. It performs the function it should, and it's semantically invisible - it "disappears" by virtue of being a common object.

I'm tempted to replace it with something in vintage style/some sort of rubbed brass from house of antique hardware or the like. The dimmer switch can go away, it was never my choice to have that particular fixture dimmable. That gives me some decently early 20th century looking items to choose from.

I'm torn between the impulse that something in a darker finish will be literally less visible against the wall, and the ingrained notion that anything other than plain, functional white electrical fixtures is tacky as gently caress.

Opinions of the crowd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

Right, it's getting changed. Probably to expensive reproduction. I appreciate the input!

Overthinking small decisions is what I do. It's been saving my sanity during these unprecedented times.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

kreeningsons posted:

An ivory outlet cover would be just as functional as the current one, so it seems like a one for one replacement and not a sell out to form over function. I’d say go for it. Go for polished brass if you like tacky 80s design as much as I do.
I do like tacky 80s design. I need to lean in to designing for my entire self and no-one else, which is a surprisingly hard habit to develop.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

I'm not a fan of putting art in your house that you aren't in love with. I AM a fan of beautiful textile arts though, and would like to add art quilts to the possible things to go in that space.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=art+quilt+large&ref=search_bar