Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What's a good source for basic rugs? Short term I need a runner and don't even know where to start. Long term I want to add a couple more rugs and replace one. The big box stores have some but they look not great. There's a couple of actual flooring stores nearby that might have better options but I haven't looked closely at them yet.

Should I check out the in person places first or go straight online? I'm not even sure what style I want I just want to cover the stupid gray laminate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

for something you want to keep long term you want 100% wool. For the runner what size exactly are you looking for, what color, and what is your budget?

29" wide x 19' long give or take. Wool sounds great, I haven't thought hard about color yet, and preliminary budget is $100-200 unless that's only going to get me garbage.

edit: A quick glance around and I'm guessing I'll need to up that budget a bit.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

ecarpetgallery.com is good and pretty cheap. Look for turkish kilim/gelim's. They are flat woven, low pile, and usually are in geometric patterns that play well with alot of different styles.

I'll check it out, thanks.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 6, 2021

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

Is 19" long a typo? Runners are typically at least six feet long.

If that is what you are looking for, 200 should be fine, kilims are relatively inexpensive and it's not a full size rug.

https://www.dwr.com/rugs-rugs/palani-rug/100065458.html?lang=en_US

this dwr one is 295 for 2.5x6 feet, 395 for 2.5x9 feet

I would start out deciding on color, since as mentioned patterns will usually be geometric with a kilim. There's a bazillion rugs out there so having some basic criteria is very helpful.

If you want to post an image of the space where you want it to go that is also helpful.

19 feet long, I probably could have made that more clear.

It's going to go in this hallway. I'm going to redo some of that trim in stained wood, paint the left wall blue, and leave the rest as is for now. The runner's purpose is to cover up the gawdawful gray flooring, help reduce the echo, and feel nicer underfoot. I left the map in the picture to prove the picture's not in grayscale.

My first thought for colors was a simple tan/sand with textured patterns, but I'm open to suggestions. Right now a heavily patterned rug probably wouldn't fit the place well but I'm changing things left and right so I can work with it.

I think I need to do an effort post and get more pictures of my entire place along with my current plans for it. I have the whole place modeled in CAD so its easy to play with layouts, colors, etc.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
19 feet is from the corner farthest away through the doorway I'm standing in. My first thought was to extend the runner under the doorway into the next room but that might be kinda weird.

Two end to end 9' runners might fit just about right.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I remeasured and it's just under 12 ft from the doorway to the end of the partition. I think I measured that 19 ft as the absolute longest it could be before running into things, and then didn't take detailed enough notes.

A single 9 ft should fit nicely.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

ok, see if you like any of these, you can get samples of any of them for a deposit

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/rugs/all-rugs?filter=Flat-weave

what is the paint color on the walls, and what is the blue paint color you want to use?

Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what shade of white the walls are. The place was remodeled before I moved in and I don't have complete records of the work done. It's very close to true white. Whoever set the place up before me set all the LEDs to 5000K and between that and white on every surface I felt like I was in an asylum.

edit: I hunted around in the garage and found a can of SW Greek Villa. The Sherwin Williams color preview tool makes it look more off-white than what I see on the walls, but its the closest I can find.

The blues I'm thinking about are SW Adrift or more likely SW Honest Blue

Of the options in your link my boring pick is: https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/rugs/all-rugs/avilia-rugs

There are a couple options there that also look interesting but don't have the 2'6" x 9' option.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 10, 2021

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I really like the look of 60's Danish style modular wall shelves and cabinets, but they're stupid expensive and I want to use them over a fairly large wall (~9' ceiling x 30' long).

I've been considering DIY'ing one out of something like the Twintrack shelving system, supplying my own wooden shelves, and then adding wall mounted cabinets in a few places.

No one seems to sell wall cabinets in any variety except for kitchen cabinets though. If I can find kitchen cabinets that match the aesthetic and dimensions I want, is there any reason not to use them individually scattered throughout the shelving? I'll need to find some that have cosmetic side panels, and possibly bottom panels if I want to mount things above sitting height eye level.

I also haven't been able to find a cabinet retailer other than Lowedepot that'll sell individual cabinet pieces. They all want to do whole kitchens at once to their design and wouldn't even entertain the idea of selling pieces separately.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

just curious where have you been looking at so far?

you're probably going to have to pay a lot for a wall that size, 30' is enormous, unless you do ikea or something

do you actually have that many books (or other items)?

The only modular shelving I've seen that doesn't look like a college dorm room is the original Danish teak or walnut stuff, so its going to be pretty drat expensive no matter where I find it. Partly I want to DIY it just for it's own sake. I enjoy making things and have a whole wood shop set up at home, and I've been practicing staining and finishing over the last year so I'm pretty confident I can make a coherent wall system that'll look great.

30' does sound crazy (actually 28'), but its one of those long skinny townhouse setups where the main floor has one continuous wall. I tried to get a picture of it, and I couldn't actually get the whole wall in the frame in one picture. The green tape pieces mark the stud locations which I measured carefully so my CAD layout was accurate.

I marked in red a couple places I want to stick the cabinets I was asking about. One would go above my desk setup so I can declutter all the WFH and misc home office stuff off the desk and other surface, and a pair would take the place of the hutch on the far left of the picture. I'm also considering putting a row of them across the top left area, which isn't in the CAD image below. My dining table is outlined in blue. You can also see on the far right a sample shelf I set up for evaluation.

Here's a cleaner and more complete layout of the shelving and cabinets I'm considering. The shelving would be pretty sparse compared to alot of setups I've seen, although I have plenty of junk to put on them if I want. I'll probably move the hutch to a different room if I go with something like the CAD layout. I forgot to hide the light fixture on the right half so the wall is a bit obscured. That fixture doesn't exist (yet) but I'll get around to making it Some day (TM).

Another complication is that like alot of people with this type of room, I have it more or less divided down the middle into two spaces. The left side in these pictures is basically the dining room, and the right side home office and living room. I can't decide if I should run the shelving scheme across the "rooms", or only use it on the right side and do something else with the wall on the left.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Justa Dandelion posted:

This might not be the right place to post this but my wife and I just moved into a less sprawling house and the kitchen is tripping me up. Can anybody point me to an actually good article or book on home kitchen layout/organization? I am hitting a wall with Google where I can only find cutesy Pinterest storage "hacks". I'll attach some photos in an edit from my computer in case anybody has any practical tips. Pardon the boxes and clutter, we're in the "everything is here, oh crap everything is here" stage of the move. I know we have enough space between the kitchen and pantry but I'm struggling to not repeat the nonsense cupboards and drawers that have been my kitchen life the past 5 years.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I was in a similar spot a couple years ago, and our very own Youth Decay's thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955939) has been the most helpful resource I've found. The word-of-the-day posts of real peoples' houses is so much more useful than what I was finding on my own.

I'll never be an expert but at least now I know basic terminology and can ballpark what style something is.

And yeah gently caress the gray and white lifeless style, its soul sucking and a lazy way out for designers.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good way to flatten a rug?

I finally got around to buying a runner after getting recommendations here over a year ago, but it seems like it spent too long rolled up. The end that was in the center of the roll is still curled up after several days laid flat with some weight on it, and the whole thing is wavy.

Can I iron or steam it? Roll it backwards? Something else?

It's 100% polyester.

edit:
Figured it out after some searching. Place a towel (preferably white to avoid color transfer) on the rug and use a normal iron on high heat and alot of steam. Steam and press through the towel. Worked great.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 29, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wallet posted:

This is a long time ago, but carpet tape is 100% worth it for both flattening your carpet and keeping it from sliding around all the time.

So far the ironing and carpet pad has kept it in place pretty well. If the edges ever start to curl I'll try the tape.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I freaking hate open shelving - especially in kitchens!!!

You can tell pretty quickly who has cleaned kitchen cabinets and walls after a couple years of use, and who hasn't.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Seems like you're on the right track overall here. I have one piece of advice about the aesthetics -
Make test pieces for both the LED-painted surface thing, and for the wood parts if you intended to stain and finish them. Wood stain can be a huge bitch to get looking good let alone like you want, and the only real way to figure out the right way is trial and error. Hop over to the woodworking thread for in depth woodchat!

Looks like a fun project.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread, I could use some help choosing a color for some furniture (sorta). My condo has this nice little deck with the main room looking straight at it, so anything out there affects the look of the interior too. I have this table I use regularly out there.

Unfortunately most of the year it looks like this:

I've been meaning to replace the green cover for awhile now and get rid of the gross but effective plastic cover. I haven't been able to find anything premade that was the right combo of durable, waterproof, and the right size. Instead, I'm planning on making my own from marine fabric: https://www.seattlefabrics.com/60-Sunbrella-AwningMarine-2995-linear-yard--Standard-Tweed-Colors-_p_23.html

I've worked with this material before so I'm confident I can do it, but I'm stuck on what color to use. In the link above there's a range of colors and I'd appreciate any guidance on what to choose. Left to my own (bad) taste I'd go with the "linen" color.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What color are the walls/rugs in the room? I think you'd want to coordinate with that. Otherwise I think I would go darker than the linen, maybe the walnut brown tweed, so it doesn't stand out as much against the dark balcony walls/railings.

If you could stain the deck a darker/greyer color to more closely match the interior floor or the exterior gray on the balcony walls I think that would look much better and the pretty wood of your table would stand out more.

Took me awhile to circle back to this, too many projects going at once.

Here's a picture of the room walls and rug. Sorry this is at night so it doesn't match quite right. The lighting is all 3500K so everything's a touch yellow.

I just restained the deck this summer and I'd like to avoid doing it again for awhile. I also can't touch the gray wall outside because its covered by the HOA rules (one of the few that actually affects me), and despite how much I hate it I doubt I'm going to change the floor anytime soon. The deck is actually gray underneath the wood too. It has some awful gritty coating that's basically what they paint the bottom of cheap pools with. The wood you see is sitting on top of that, with plenty of gap for water to run out.

I also accurately priced out what the fabric would cost, and it was enough that I started looking around for more options, and came across a site selling almost exactly what I want.

Instead of the color options in my previous post, here are my color and pattern options:
https://www.nationalpatiocovers.com/regent/Round--Table--Set--Cover/Round-Table-Set-Cover.html

I'm leaning towards dark blue but not thrilled with it. Maybe the blue striped one for fun?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

No, it’s plywood

Yeah it's probably plywood with a cosmetic quality veneer and marching wood steps to cover the gaps.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Wonder Weapon posted:

That's what I'm asking I guess; is there appearance-grade plywood I'm looking for here?

Do you have a hardwood store nearby? There's one near me that sells high quality plywood with hardwood veneer.

Examples here - http://www.crosscuthardwoods.com/cabinet-plywood.html

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I use solidworks for interior layouts for my own place, and I don't recommend it.

I do it because I use it daily for work so even though it's not the right tool I know enough to force it to do what I want.

The biggest issues are lighting because it's intended to use the exterior of the objects, and it's terrible color/ texture tools.

If you're already familiar with it and just want to do layouts it'll work, but don't expect much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

The used furniture market has changed dramatically over the last ~5 years. Furniture flipping became a huge thing. Plus as gen z has grown and moved out, their home styles are very different than millennials’, meaning a lot more competition for non-MCM pieces, which you used to not be able to give away

What are the kids' home styles? I'm genuinely curious, I've never paid any attention to current trends and just get what I like so I couldn't tell you what's in fashion at any given time.