Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Bill Alexander is best known as the mad lad who helped develop .50 Beowulf and 6.5 Grendel.

I know nothing about those calibers, or why he would do such things to an AR.

But the man likes to do... things to AR's. In this case, he went in the other extreme:

I wonder what this is chambered in?

There are little things that indicate that fuckery is afoot. Like the lack of forward assist:

And something's blocking part of the magwell:

Just look at that little magazine. Not much of a shower, and with only 10 round mags available, not a grower either:

This particular model is the Alexander Arms Tactical .17 HMR.

It came with two magazines. Additional mags can be had for less than $15 out the door, which is nice because they are designed to break apart in case of a case rupture, or if dropped too hard (according to the manual).

The Tactical also comes with a flash hider, collapsible stock, and 3 lb trigger. It does not come with iron sights, but the top rail and handguard have both Pic rails and Keymod and M-LOK panels so it's just asking to have accessories stuck to it.

Being in , this can have all the "scary" features as it is a rimfire that meets OAL and capacity limits. It will get a VFG and optic in the near future and hopefully a trip to the range shortly thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Testing A Thingtm for HGB

That is weird

I like it.

What is the accuracy like?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Castle nut not staked, dead on the prairies.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

I have a... thing for weird guns.

I haven't shot it yet and Alexander Arms makes it clear they make no guarantee of accuracy, but between what they do say and online reviews it seems like its kind is capable of sub-moa out of the box.

I have an A17 which puffs against steel targets at 200+ yards to the point it is boring and supposedly this should be capable of that despite an 18" barrel.

I'm pretty excited to try it out and make sure I'm ready in case the coyotes and squirrels ever unite and turn against humanity.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

10rd mags just mean you need a bandoleer of them. Maybe even 2!

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

I Demand Food posted:

It came with two magazines. Additional mags can be had for less than $15 out the door, which is nice because they are designed to break apart in case of a case rupture, or if dropped too hard (according to the manual).

"Jeez, Frank, this run of mags is poo poo, they break if you just breathe on 'em."

"Naw, they're fine. Just say it's for safety."

""

.17HMR is an interesting choice there. Maybe you could have someone fab up (3d print) an insert to fit in a coffin mag, pull the mag block, and have A Shitload Of Pew. (Full 5,.56 mag should give plenty of space to both deal with the curvature because of rims, and rimlock because of, uh, rims. )

Of course, weird caliber things are of interest to me - still want a 7" longslide 1911, doublestack, in 7.62x25...

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

That thing is pretty dang neat

One of these days I wanna grab one of the .17 WSM AR uppers, they're gas operated instead of blowback

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Testing A Thingtm for HGB

Ygolonac posted:

"Jeez, Frank, this run of mags is poo poo, they break if you just breathe on 'em."

"Naw, they're fine. Just say it's for safety."

""

.17HMR is an interesting choice there. Maybe you could have someone fab up (3d print) an insert to fit in a coffin mag, pull the mag block, and have A Shitload Of Pew. (Full 5,.56 mag should give plenty of space to both deal with the curvature because of rims, and rimlock because of, uh, rims. )

Of course, weird caliber things are of interest to me - still want a 7" longslide 1911, doublestack, in 7.62x25...

Note that the OP is in California and doing this would be illegal.

So, OP, don't do this. Still an interesting option for anyone who doesn't live in a state with those restrictions.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that the OP is in California and doing this would be illegal.

So, OP, don't do this. Still an interesting option for anyone who doesn't live in a state with those restrictions.

<insert GIF of Bugs Bunny sawing CA off and it floating out to sea>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

That thing is pretty dang neat

One of these days I wanna grab one of the .17 WSM AR uppers, they're gas operated instead of blowback

Thanks - I just learned about .17 WSM. Pretty neat!

I was tempted to 3D print a coupler to attach two or three mags together to speed up reloading while still being legal, but the whole "magazine is part of the safety system" bit has me worried.