Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

This one is excellent. The random repetition, the slow burn, the absolute calmness. The making of is a pro-click too, it's so cool to see how it's just clever use of cheap practical effects.

Crackmaster posted:

Ted the Caver is a first-person "true story" about cave exploration, written in 2001 as a proto-blog (one showcasing accordingly retro web design). There's also a copy on the Wayback Machine if you prefer that the last page links to an intentionally non-existent page 11 instead of just itself, which I think has a teensy bit more punch. I also swear I've read before that the story was inspired by or straight up ripped from some book published in the 80s/90s, but the name escapes me, sorry.

This is still one of my favorite short horror stories ever. I think it's because I've been potholing and it was one of the most singularly uncomfortable experiences of my life, that the idea of voluntarily squeezing into natural caves where no one's documented (or could reasonably rescue you if you got hurt) is already terrifying, but I especially love the lack of explanation. It just ends, with no closure or reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I really butchered the spelling of that one. But yeah, all the livejournal extensions at the time were so great. It's kind of unfortunate how now it would just be seen as some attempt at a viral marketing campaign.

It was so cool at the time, I think it was the first story I'd ever seen that crossed multiple platforms. It was very obviously inspired by House of Leaves but it was a great homage.