Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So this is probably a better place than the previous thread or the actual Q&A, could I ask about decorating my Sims houses here? I'd use the Sims thread, but that's for 4 and I'm still playing 3. Just from osmosis I've managed to pick up some fundamentals and moved away from what I affectionately term "clown vomit," but having a space where I can experiment harmlessly and ask questions would help for when I actually break out paints and tools for my actual space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

kreeningsons posted:

What’s up, before covid I had a small side business selling vintage furniture, design items and clothes, so I developed an interior design method where I would buy a piece at an estate sale or auction or wherever, live with it for a while, and either keep or sell based on how well it fit. I don’t end up with many questions that need answering this way, but I like to chat about design so I’m usually posting random things about extremely specific designers, trends among established design houses and the vintage design market, or IDing the chairs in Zillow pics.

Someone in the last thread posted about the apartment from Coming to America which motivated me to buy this neon lamp from Facebook marketplace. It’s unmarked, but is very high quality as far as neon lamps go, has an enameled metal conical base and a 14” diameter ruby red neon tube. I have no idea who made it, but it’s probably from the mid to late 1980s and has a Ron Arad vibe. It’s surely not actually by Arad, but it’s a keeper.

Tell me about that chair behind it. I like the look, but it doesn't look comfortable.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4603-Edina-Blvd-Edina-MN-55424/1862678_zpid/ "Front/rear yards were professionally landscaped on HGTV's Landscape Smart and Curb Appeal" don't care just look at this bathroom

Finally, flooring that matches my vomit after I pass out drunk on it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Some people like the sound of rain on a metal roof, I guess.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiWHY/comments/l6da5o/i_love_hate_watching_cement_videos_this_might_be/

Tag yourself, I'm the soap dish.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

From your mouth to His ears.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Everything clearly labeled and in its proper place. Salt, sugar, flour, fire.

Also I should totally do that for the next fireplace I install in a Sims house.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Buttchocks posted:

Just add some baleen around the bedroom door and it'll be perfect!

*furiously scribbles notes on a page labeled "tourist lodge ideas"*

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

If you meet the Buddha on the way to Mardi Gras, get him to show you his moobs.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

Aside from the absurdly impractical woodstove, I kinda like that. Seriously, that is the worst woodstove to actually have a fire in that I've ever seen. All those greebles and furbelows will catch dust when you're not using it, and you're not gonna be able to dust that thing properly without an actual cleaning staff, so when you light a fire in it, it's gonna stink like burning hair and scorched bugflesh for a good six hours. Not that your average trendy house owner would be able to keep a fire going for that long, because you can't fit any decent amount of wood in there. I can't even tell how you're supposed to open that through all the rococo. The front panel doesn't seem to have a handle or hinges, and the only thing that looks like a handle is on the top, and I've never heard of a top-loading woodstove (Except for old cookstoves which let you lift the "burner" plates and feed sticks/trash in that way, but they were front-loading primarily). The decorative birdbath on top means there's no place to put a kettle or coffee pot to have some bonus hot water, and if it is top-loading, you can't even fill the birdbath with water for humidification because it would spill.

Also those windows are letting 80% of the theoretical heat that stove would generate right out into the woods, the stovepipe is way too big for the firebox, and it's entirely possible all those falooters would heat unevenly, leading to cracks in the metal if you actually used it with regularity.

...So I guess all I like about that picture is the tile mosaic.

Baneling Butts posted:

I like some of these, especially the IL one, but this last house looks like an REI lol
I actually kinda like it? Like, if I wasn't going for a midcentury modern atomic time capsule as my dream house, this kinda thing would be a close second. Though I'd want the rocks and branches to have more flat surfaces for display of my various knicknacks.

Slugworth posted:

Look, I can't defend it, but I would 100 percent love to live there, provided it's not a climb I have to make frequently. But like, climbing up through a little hole into a small, comfortable room where I can relax by myself sounds.... Wonderful. I can't explain why it seems better than a small comfortable room at the top of a flight of stairs, but it does.
hide in tree, return to monke

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I never did find a good use case for that wall treatment in the Sims. And this isn't one, either.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Is that how you're supposed to use a picture rail? It looks a little like a hipster polaroids-dangling-from-branch piece writ large.

e: I don't really have a problem with it, I do like the varied heights, it just looks like someone's doin' their own thing.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "pegged". Pegged floors, pegged staircases, etc.

Oh, I love pegging.

I also like that style of architecture.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Further proof that the internet didn't originate the absurd niche effortposter, just made it way more likely they could find an audience.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

A butcher block like that is practically the only piece of furniture my mother wants to add to our place. I'm assuming they cost $yikes.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

Nothing epitomizes the live-edge aesthetic like a seat at your dining table having literally no surface area.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, you gotta crane your neck to see into it from the recliner.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That is not how the Death card works :argh:

I clicked on one Danish Design link in this thread last week and youtube keeps serving me ads for it. Are people really paying three thousand bucks for a single chair? Five hundred is the upper limit I'd feel comfortable paying, and that better be the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in, with a design I love and sturdy enough to last decades.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Youth Decay posted:

I swear they are doing this on purpose, like it's some stager meme

If I were staging a house and they/I had an Eames chair, I would totally have it in every shot. Hidden occasionally, like a Where's Waldo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

See, that's how you do a gravel tub surround. Put a nice high step on the entry side so you're not actually walking on the loving gravel.

It's still a terrible idea, but you can at least make it more appealing to the :females:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "genius"
Does "mad genius" return any decent results? I want a house with a roof that opens so my gurney filled with the sewn-together parts of murderers can rise to roof level and be exposed to the necessary lightning to give it LIFE!

quote:

the "Byzantine Room" featuring murals by Nikolai Remisoff

This is also acceptable.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My generator is IoT enabled/smart (I'm not entirely clear on the difference). It's still the same kind of pull-rope start that generators have pretty much always been, but it's got a Bluetooth connection that links to an app on my phone to show me fuel/load levels and approximate running time, and allow remote or timed shutdown. I think the only thing a malicious actor could do with it is mildly inconvenience me (Oh no, I need to go outside again and restart a warm engine).

I have more of an issue with the actual reporting. It's way too granular, only giving me an eight-segment bar for fuel and load levels and changing the reports on an interval instead of real-time. That last I suppose is okay, you'd be reporting changing fuel levels constantly just from the vibration in the small tank.

I enjoy the idea of the Internet of Things, but that's entirely my 50s retrofuturism and the influence of childhood cartoons like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjGTKPBUw0s
e: That's not the full cartoon, copyright reasons I suppose, but you get the idea.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 13, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/1382694563333148676

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Oh hey, that's in the Rabbit Creek area, where my parents lived until gentrification forced their trailer park to close in the early 80s. And boy howdy did that area gentrify, look at that bullshit.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Exposed ductwork got me thinking... has anyone seen an example of plumbing being used for a secondary purpose, like a railing? You could have a poo poo sewer pipe from an upstairs bog running down the side of the stairs for instance.

Sounds like a bad idea on the face of it, any exposed pipework taking a secondary function will see increased wear as a result of that function (See the finish wearing off well-used handrails). I wouldn't want to be involved or even present for someone stumbling and slamming their whole weight onto a blackwater handrail.

But I have seen exposed plumbing as semi-decorative feature. I stayed at an inn that had been built in the frontier days and retrofitted with electricity, HVAC, and plumbing. The drain pipes for the upstairs fixtures ran right down through the corner of the main room, so we'd be lounging in front of the fireplace and hear this whoosh, gurgle, flunch, all the way down. It was a conversation starter.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So you're saying it not only happens but is rather common?

:sigh: Probably.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ah yes, what better way to improve a coffee table than with random protrusions.

Inject everything in this room directly into my house, including the cat.

Let me mount my guns where I need to climb on the desk to reach them, exposing myself to snipers. Yes, I know they're decorative, but I come from a household where the idea of a decorative gun is anathema.

Neat, but I have my doubts about the rigor of the homeowners' dig methodology. Would not live there, and certainly not in the hotbox.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

"Just need to grab something from the little closet..." *coconut sound effect*

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

JFC, that is fugly. I get the feeling that someone took a townhouse with a really nice interior and utterly trashed it.

I started to disagree, then realized as I expanded my statement that I was agreeing with you. There's some nice underlying structure and interesting details there, but most of the kitsch would have to go.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

That tiling snaking around the window and main mirror, but not the sink mirror, makes me irrationally angry.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well someone clearly saw Goldfinger at an impressionable moment in their life.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ok Loomer

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

What a lovely room of death.

e: I'm the three seashells

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

One of the little affectations I enjoy is the array of clocks listing different times around the world. I sort of hope to have a job or hobby that benefits from that some day.

Although honestly, just trying to organize tabletop games online with friends on three different continents fits the bill.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/frailgesture/status/1413633560636891136?s=20

Challenge: How would you design a room around that?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Brawnfire posted:

The gently caress is this

Extremely inefficient ceiling fan for small areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Sorry, home stagers - the Eames is OVER

the wall here with the lights and the plants has a very 70's Tiki Volcano vibe to it, but honestly i don't hate it :o:

Looks like it's a fountain, too. I like basically that entire room, although the security camera at top left is mildly concerning.