Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

By off grid they usually mean large gas or propane generator(s) maybe with some solar. Although even with just solar a good sized system should have plenty enough power for electric lighting.

Earthship or GTFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

wheatpuppy posted:

Could you paint a toilet with that appliance touch-up paint?

You'd want to use the paint for refinishing porcelain fixtures, but that pretty much only comes in white/off white outside of commercial refinishing businesses and it's inclined to chip. I don't know how well it'd hold up around the seat.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I think the idea is that the inside of the bowl is going to be subject to more aggressive cleaning than the outside. Maybe the paint can handle that, maybe it can't. But the original finish absolutely can.

That stuff can handle tub grim getting scrubbed off. I think they just didn't want to have to uninstall the toilet, which is what you need to do in order to get it fully dried and prepped for the paint.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/600-Pulis-Ave-77-Mahwah-NJ-07430/2076539700_zpid/ something oddly charming about this 1963 mobile home...also holy poo poo HOA/lot lease is more than double the monthly mortgage

Thats the norm for mobile homes. The house itself is the cheap part, and a lot of people will own that outright, but pay a bunch in rent on the lot.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

How does a Victorian with city "Landmark" preservation status get turned into a dumb escape house place? And how much would it cost to get the place turned back into something decent?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1750-N-Gilpin-St-Denver-CO-80218/2078967312_zpid/

The only mistake here is not going hard on the Victorian theming in every room. Why would you not make it a Sherlock/Agatha Christie mystery house? Total lack of imagination on the owners' part; no wonder the escape business failed.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Same designer you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

Whoops didnt realize old thread dead, new thread here.

Curious if anyone can identify the era and 'style' name of this lamp? Something i got from my grandpa who passed in the 90s (~70) and it was always at his house when was there in the early 80s. I'm sure it's older than that, but just trying to identify what this would be called and when.

Pic of bottom included because it's rusty and perhaps cast iron or something if that helps. My guess is 50s or 60s?

I've always just called it my "grandpa lamp". Bulbs in it modern of course:

Id guess later 60s? It's got kind of an mod shape in the body, but the shades are verging on some Victorian revival poo poo. The transition from the atomic modernism of the 50s' to the vintage 70s involved a lot of staple midcentury mod lamps getting weirdly ornate shades.