Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That is PAINFULLY blue. Hate to be a kid in that house that scrapes the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Aceofblue posted:

Agreed, painting wood white is almost always a loving shame

Want a laugh about the whole paint-everything-white situation? My new apartment (lease ended at the peak of the covid situation locally, had to move in without actually visiting & just going off of video/photo tours done to request by apartment office staff) got everything repainted and touched over before they handed it over to me. Including repainting all the bits they painted white. Because, you know, "modern" (in an apartment with a fridge still using bloody CFCs, built after they were banned for new production).

So goddamn much repainted, and so much painted to match, that they managed to paint the breaker box AND one of the air vents shut. It's been a month and I'm still finding things they painted over for the sake of "color coordination" that really didn't need to be.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Aceofblue posted:

:negative: :negative: :negative:

They did the same sort of blanket repainting before I moved in to my current apartment, but at least they did light grey as the main color and white as the accent rather than full flat white. But yeah lol, we had to to take a razor to the breaker box to get it open and two years in I still get a laugh when we uncover something they painted around instead of under (like when we had a light fixture replaced, or under the smoke alarms).

The opposite end of the fun is when i find something they didn't paint over OR around... like the bigass gaps in the sliding glass door frame that had to be filled, except for the biggest one that they refused to (I stuck adhesive insulation over it instead and it kinda works).

Never gonna understand these people. Second apartment in a row with massive gaps leaking freezing cold air in around the glass door. I would much rather simply have a regular door that doesn't double my heating bill, please.

e: or for the main paint, how the entire area around the washer/dryer was left unpainted and stained, and other parts of the bathroom have very clear spot filler that managed to chip off when barely touched

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Liquid Communism posted:

They did Flat White Everything on my place too, and for a real laugh check this out:

They painted the light switches because the prior tenant had painted that wall tan and swapped to brown switches.

Wow. That's... Pretty rough. This is about the worst I have for things I can't clean or repaint myself after the painted-over stuff has been chipped away.

With the absolute shitshow this place has been though it's no surprise. Maintenance caused a minor gas leak on their very first visit, hot water took multiple fixes, still don't completely have heating working (in midwestern winter), pretty sure the dryer will break down any load now.

But hey, vaulted ceiling, that's worth... something? I dunno, I don't get the appeal of vaulted ceilings myself. Or of a lot of design trends really, a little "spartan to a fault" with interior design myself.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Living in Palm Beach and they paint on a shoreline on the wall.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Bucks County farmhouse". Farmhouses in Bucks County, PA, what else?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3298-Bristol-Rd-Chalfont-PA-18914/9120176_zpid/

That kitchen is beautiful. Repaint the upper cabinets to match and I am 1000% down with it.
e: scratch that this whole house is beautiful, you've posted a lot of good (and a lot of terrifying) but this is one of the few I could legit see spending my life living in.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 27, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Azza Bamboo posted:

A lot of this is just "did you know that if you pour concrete into a shape it'll retain that shape? Why not try wasting perfectly good materials to get some ugly rear end shapes?"

The wood burner is neat, though I wonder if the concrete won't eventually crack for the heat. Even then, considering how crazy cheap it'd be compared to a normal clay or steel burner, that'd be neat if it works.

Considering normal bricks can end up cracking or worse under that sort of heat, I 100% don't trust that wood burner.
Also props to them for making the world's most efficient pet fish murder chamber.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

HOT BREAD! posted:

The proliferation of white and grey everything is making me insane. I just want to watch a show where people renovate but no matter what show it is- white and grey. Sometimes they go totally nuts and paint a kitchen island navy blue! Whooaaaa.

Makes one long for the days of gluing hay to the wall, Trading Spaces style

Having gone from a "wood tone and beige" cheap lovely apartment to "white on white on white except grey 'wood' bathroom (awful idea) and kitchen floors" cheap lovely apartment.. give me back my 90s bland beige please.
also put a stop to sliding glass doors, but that might be too structural for interior design

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

You posted https://imgur.com/kvfpIE1 which is just Imgur's gallery page for that photo. When I quoted you, I edited it to https://i.imgur.com/kvfpIE1.jpg

On a computer, simply right-click on the photo, choose Copy Image Address, and paste that into your post - use Ctrl+V to paste and you'll automatically get [timg] and [/timg] tags around it. If the photo's huge you can change these to [timg] and [/timg] to make it a thumbnail.

Imgur makes it near impossible to do on mobile. The Awful app I believe has a way to do it but I can't quite remember.

Imgur mobile app, if you tap into an image (so it's the only one), long press, and "copy URL" it gives you the direct image URL. Awful then lets you automatically add it as a timg tag. Just did it in another thread.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

take my money

There are too many I wish I could post if they weren't quite so horribly NSFW.

Also, I think we actually sell something like this one where I work...

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The Bloop posted:

What the hell is going on with that table top?

Glass joined to a triangular prism-shaped base, with two ribs of quarter circle glass coming down. Presumably the hardware to secure it to the base is in the ribs.
It's ugly. Sorry, decorator.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

lot of cool modern stuff, much from the 40s-60s

https://www.ebay.com/usr/d-rose-mod

they have a buttocks sofa

You know, it's weird. I look at the houses in these posts and rarely feel anything about the cost besides humor. But this seller makes me feel broke looking at the prices. This poo poo is my day job, this is nothing new for me. Why does this one hit different?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

I've never heard of Mira or George Nakashima until now, apparently the elder worked with Knoll in the 1940s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mira-Nakas...jAAAOSwQC1foWl~

uh, ok

It's designer, you know.
Yeah. 30 grand is absurd. Somehow unsurprised, I've personally put up some incredibly ugly (and incredibly cheap to make) stuff running 20-30 grand that... I guess sells well because of the designer name on it? Well enough we keep selling, at least. From an objective perspective I get the reason people buy it, but from what feels like a rational perspective I'll never understand these people.

e: remind me to track down the volcano tables sometime, I think the manufacturer went under but they were so bad.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Textbook demonstration of how not to design a floor plan. Jesus.
e: also that faded carpet in the loft, lmao

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 10, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

just learned the term "dropship" for someone who gets trade discounts and sets up a virtual storefront - you order from them, they order it at their discount and then ship it to you. The place on the left has everything under MSRP. And they are listed by Louis Poulson as being an official retailer.

Hi. I do that for a living.
I can't say you should trust everywhere but if you're cool with absurd ship times then dropshipping is a good way to save. Just be aware that I genuinely mean absurd - I've seen upwards of 4 months before.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

I was definitely suspicious, but Gessato is listed on the Louis Poulson site as an authorized retailer. So at least on the legit product end I'm not worried. Seems kind of "gray market" though in terms of what they are doing.

okay thanks. I actually just asked DWR to match the Gessato price on the Yuh lamp. The difference isn't as extreme as the AJ, it's about 10%. But they also don't charge sales tax.

do you buy the products directly from the manufacturer? If everyone could do this would this business model just disappear?

Caveat: I work for a company that has been doing this for a much longer time than I've been in the field. (Not IDing because I would immediately be doxxed. Others may recognize it but I'll politely ask you don't ask.)
Yes, sort of. Our automated system places the orders with the manufacturer and we arrange shipping, but the product itself never passes through our hands physically. Shipped direct from the manufacturer's warehouse - this is why shipping gets absurd (if they manufacture in China you bet it's taking a boat over after you order), though the shipping fees are usually kept pretty reasonable. Nothing grey market, we have a sales contract with every manufacturer or distributor.

Would opening up manufacturer orders kill the industry? Paradoxically... it would kill the little guys and the big fish would survive. Anyone out to compete with the big guys right now just has to have a lower price (actually easy for smaller sellers). You cannot compete on service quality on the same level. The biggest and most established have on-call customer support, one-on-one design advisors and more that just isn't tenable. Plus a broad range of suppliers to make up for shortcomings in any one field of products. If you fully open to public orders, the little guy loses the price advantage (why pay any middleman fee when you can pay none?) and still can't afford the support side on anything near the same level.

Plus, have you seen a plumbing manufacturer's internal documentation? I had to write my own translation guide for the last one I worked with. poo poo is arcane and Joe Public is not gonna have the patience for it. Cross that with the long lead and ship times and what is ultimately not lifechanging savings, and there's still space for a company willing to work with customers to meet their needs, because not many people will want to do it themselves.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

thanks for the info. after looking around a bit it doesn't look like these places are required to disclose that they don't have the physical inventory themselves. on the gessato site they don't mention this at all, and keep the language quite vague. is this purposeful?

Hell, Gessato's site makes it sound like they aren't dropshippers at all - they claim to keep stock and pack the shipments themselves... it's certainly unusual. Normally this sort of thing is telegraphed at least somewhat more clearly. We're very unambiguous on that front. I'm unfamiliar with them outside of what's been written here, though.
That said: wow, checked their site, and that is some ugly furniture.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, I'd feel bad offering any sort of counsel on these guys, because I frankly don't have the knowledge of this particular seller to tell you you aren't gonna get ripped off.

YD, you liked today's enough to give it to us twice? (There are some very nice houses in there.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Pool height is a midpoint between standard and counter.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

from their website

I cannot imagine having enough money to waste and loving pool enough to buy this and put it in your own home, but not having the space for an actual pool table.

... wonder if they'd sell well.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Your scientists designers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

"unlike any other, because the others know it was a bad idea"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sirotan posted:

Double post for rugchat

Thanks for this link, I am about to be in the market for a decent sized rug for my living room and they have some nice options here that I haven't seen on all the other popular online rug stores.

Since this is the design thread, can we discuss why this is a thing and who even likes it:

This is a brand new rug. It just baffles me how often I run across the "oops, I spilled all my bleach" style of overdyed rugs. I hate it. Traditional oriental rug styles aren't really my thing but this just seems like sacrelige.

Despite how ugly they are, you'd be surprised. Not really any new concepts around here I imagine, but interior design as an industry is as much performative as it is aimed at the occupant. People want "antiques" and other signals of having enough money for long enough to have heirlooms. These rugs... don't look like any old worn out rugs I've ever seen, really, but somehow the damage and "wear" creates that image of age for people. It all falls apart if you know anything about rugs or whatever, but the neighbors in your subdivision don't know jack about rug dealers, they just know you have an "antique rug worth thousands" (because the dealer charges it, not because of any inherent value - it has next to none of that). This one is pretty extreme but not out of the realm of reality entirely.

I'm not one to talk, my living space makes the average dorm room look finely furnished, but that's by conscious choice at least. Still appreciate YD's posts and other Zillow eurfing.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

These people need to be stopped. Not only will it kill you, it'll look ugly as hell the whole time.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Slugworth posted:

Look, I can't defend it, but I would 100 percent love to live there, provided it's not a climb I have to make frequently. But like, climbing up through a little hole into a small, comfortable room where I can relax by myself sounds.... Wonderful. I can't explain why it seems better than a small comfortable room at the top of a flight of stairs, but it does.

My joints are bad enough I have a hard time with steep stairs, so I gotta pass personally. I get the appeal but I'd break my neck day 1.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Advice of the day: those hangers for photo frames and whatnot that are "just push them into the drywall!"?

No. They don't just push in. Get nails. You're going to be hammering it in anyway. The nail is gonna do less damage to the wall.
I never really hang frames up so apparently this is a memo I missed.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Where is that incredible bathroom?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

there's no way these people actually bought all this furniture

https://www.dwr.com/home-owner-story-molly.html?lang=en_US

loving the 1k plant stand or the 11k sofa

Love how the dining room section makes a big deal out of the table and then it's not even in the "view products" list.
That aside; yes people actually do buy this poo poo. I've seen $50k light fixtures sell. Higher end furniture sells too, 10-15k range. Not often though and almost certainly not on the salary of a "global strategist" and whatever form of income the "artist" has.
It also probably helps if they're listing MSRP but the people interviewed bought somewhere that sells below MSRP as previously discussed.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

right, I remember someone at DWR saying they once had someone come in and buy 80k worth of furniture on the spot, but most people have furniture from a variety of different places.

It's more the fact that pretty much every major item is from DWR, I'm guessing some of that was provided for the photo shoot, or they were given a big discount in exchange for being part of the campaign.

Oh, almost certainly this was some form of promotional deal. I'm inclined to say that the first guess is right just because nobody at this income level is dumb enough (or lacking in space enoughl to go out and buy a dining table as a desk instead of just... buying a desk. "Dining table and dining chair" is the second least comfortable work station I've ever worked in, just behind "bed with no headboard".
That said, they mark discounts in some of the displayed products... Lord, if they're actually selling for this much frequently, I went into the wrong demographic.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hey, I found one of those fish in a storage closet at work last year. Wish they let me keep it instead of throwing it in the trash. 10/10 tacky bullshit deco to foist off on someone.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Seems like it's happening all over the site.
Also weird to see a house I've seen in person in one of your posts.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Badger of Basra posted:

drat this interior looks bad
...hey wait a second, that's a two-room house.
How is it 1BR2BA?

???
(also: is this appropriate for just asking General Furniture Questions? despite selling this poo poo my own interior design sense is nonexistent and everything I'm immediately familiar with costs more than I make in a couple months)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sounds about right. I'm always curious who actually sees "16 week lead time" for furniture and says "this is fine" when it's not some handmade custom piece.
Interior design's weird, man. My standards are low but I don't think I'm that out of touch. (though I'm about to have to hit the furniture hunt myself... not eager)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

It sounds like that question is directed at me. I wanted a white, round table to pair with a couple peacock blue + maple dowel leg eames chairs. Also I didn't want to buy something that was clearly a knockoff, like a fake Saarinen table

Also for my specific needs, the ideal size was 30-36" diameter, and since I won't be using it a ton, my budget was like 1k

I started looking several months ago (you may have noticed I spend a lot of time before buying anything), and was surprised that I couldn't actually find that much.

keep in mind I'm still waiting for the rug I ordered in September. nothing wrong with waiting for what you really want. I'm sure the fact that Magis has no b&m presence outside of Italy is a factor. Also as Kaiser said, it's probably all made to order.

No, it's just generally directed; I'm working with a vendor atm with 16 week lead times across the board and internally questioning "why would I wait for this when I can buy domestic for better quality faster", but they make sales so I guess whatever they're doing is working. It's all made to order on account of fabric choices (if you ever want to give me nightmares, tell me you've got a new fabric for a collection) and otherwise it'd be easy to keep stock.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Some of this is from more furniture companies doing more manufacturing domestically and offering more semi-custom options like custom sized dining tables to try to compete with east asian imports. If you get a container of all the same tables from indonesia 3 times a year, it's pretty easy to ship tomorrow. If you're offering multiple finishes/sizes/materials etc. it may make more sense to make them to order instead of keeping a bunch of odd combinations in stock. 'To-the-trade' upholstered furniture has been done this way for a while-you pick the sofa and one of their fabrics (or supply your own), they upholster it to order in 8-12 weeks or w/e.

Yup. This is the worst of both worlds - made to order, but all the manufacture is still outsourced to various Southeast Asian countries so you have to stack "container ship wait" on top of "MtO wait". If this was one of the Amish handcrafter companies out of Ohio or something I'd be a little more forgiving. Just not getting the same level of quality that usually justifies the wait.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

It's amazing how a company that makes nothing but knockoffs can go to such a great effort to make their site look legitimate

https://modernica.net/

seems like bad news when they are not BBB accredited

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/vernon/profile/furniture-stores/modernica-inc-1216-588966

just quickly browsing, I saw a fake (every eames and nelson product), I even saw a fake papa bear chair :wtc:

I can tell you they need to be stopped.
The Eames thing is actually kind of weird with them - they're not knockoffs. Sort of. Herman Miller discontinued the original Eames because of issues with the original fiberglass composition. They brought out the new polypropylene version in 2013, using new molds and new materials. Where did the old molds go?

Modernica bought them. They're the ones making "real" Eames chairs nowadays. ("Real" is not a positive qualifier.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "angles". Lots of fabulous Late Century Modern.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/55290-Forest-Haven-Dr-Idyllwild-CA-92549/18048851_zpid/

Beginning the countdown to someone falling off the dining platform. Also, showering with a boulder taking up half the shower and inconvenient.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I'm already resigned to never being a homeowner myself, but if I was ever in a position to have something built new, I think the first rule is "no white surfaces anywhere in this house".
These HGTV monstrosities keep telling me I'm right.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

HOT BREAD! posted:

Ugh, I'm going to be looking to buy a house in the near future and I am not looking forward to picking through all those whitewashed "renovations". Got a lot of nerve charging double for artic white paint and grey laminate :argh:

Not to mention cheap grey laminate in the bathroom, one place I 100% would not "vulnerable to water damage if not perfectly installed with no flaws" flooring.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

hey that's the same Kraus sink/faucet combo I have

it's a very nice sink! tons of space.

but yeah pretty bad, the floor is even gray? wtf is that poo poo

hard floors should be wood, or look like wood (i.e. laminates)

I've got grey wood laminate in my unit. It's not good looking in person either. Granted mine is a little more woodlike than that (and, much to my chagrin, I at least have carpet to offset it instead of constant wood).

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

sorry I should have been more clear, when I said wood or looks like wood, that includes being brown :)

Yeah. I agree.
Give me actual wood or close enough, please. And no more carpet.
Tile bathrooms though. Wood absorbing water sucks and even if normal wood is safe, laminate never seems to manage it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

actionjackson posted:

when you said no white surfaces, I hope the bathroom is excluded :p

I grew up with a nice desaturated teal bathroom (with a wood floor, but still). I liked that look.

Nothing white will ever look clean as long as someone lives there.