Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Considering what XSeed's voice direction went with, I'm not sure if that one's fair to criticize...

It's more a "uniformity" criticism.

But honestly, they came pretty close. Going with Lou ve, but lou və would be better. I've seen the (sur)name become pronounced like "Low", and at least once, "Lao" went brought over to the States. There's apparently a Spanish fashion designer that modified it to loo EH vey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's a German name so it's the 'ö' sound that's wrong, which to be fair is probably not a thing you encounter particularly often in the US. It's supposed to sound like this.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Sorry, The German Language, but when the difference between two vowel sounds is even less than a regional accent, then what you've got is a useless vowel sound. (I'll admit that I'm wrong, I just can only barely hear it, and, from experience, can't really pronounce it.)

I briefly dated a Korean girl with a very similar sound in her name, and it irritated her that I apparently couldn't say it right, though I always tried. Years later, it struck me that "she never pronounced my name correctly" and I was pretty OK with it at the time, but in retrospect it annoys me. Probably for the best it didn't work out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's butt-shaped because it's the poop deck

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hehe poop

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

232. Good News & Bad News

Hey, remember that plot thing? You should do that. What? Bareahard? More like NOreahard.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ I'm not sure that the Nord are a tribe of warriors, or at least Gaius's village. As near as I can tell, the only actual warriors the village has are Gaius and his father, Lacan.

~ Going through the wrong menu three or four times does make me feel good, because I do it too, and I have hundreds of hours in these drat games.

~ It's disappointing how little incidental dialogue that they use in this part of the game. It's hard to believe Sara didn't make a comment about Lacan.

~ It was established in Cold Steel 1 that Fiona is a friend of Sara's. Fiona sometimes plays piano at the Etoile cafe on Alto street, where she lives. This is also where one of the Heimdallr bracer guilds was located. Presumably, the bracers hung out in the cafe. This was Sara's branch. A better question would actually be, "How did Sara never meet Elliot before the first game?"

~ "Why is half of the available Party the arts people?" A: Elliot (and Alisa, if you want to classify her as an arts user) has a multi-target healing CRAFT which makes not failing the other requirement much easier. Weirdly, Elliot's one of the best characters if you can't use Arts, and not just if you can use arts.

~ Machias actually did have a really good chance of stopping that spell with his S-break. Somewhere between 25% and 35%, actually. Machias's Ultimate Shot has a 100% efficacy random status. However, since there are some statuses that won't cancel arts, (Poison, Blind, Burn, Seal) and some that the robot blocks completely instead of at 50%, his odds aren't quite 50/50. If he'd rolled Sleep, Nightmare, Confuse, Freeze, Faint or Mute, and if the enemy hadn't resisted (it did), then he would have cancelled the Art. There are worse panic buttons than screaming at Machias to DO SOMETHING. (Especially if you tweak him out for maximum status fuckery, which I'd argue is the strongest use of what is arguably the game's strongest character)

~ I don't know if you want advice on beating the five fuckheads or not, but I can spitball some ideas that would work

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ It was established in Cold Steel 1 that Fiona is a friend of Sara's. Fiona sometimes plays piano at the Etoile cafe on Alto street, where she lives. This is also where one of the Heimdallr bracer guilds was located. Presumably, the bracers hung out in the cafe. This was Sara's branch. A better question would actually be, "How did Sara never meet Elliot before the first game?"

I suppose when you're relatives with an Elliot-type, you don't admit it unless absolutely necessary.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ I don't know if you want advice on beating the five fuckheads or not, but I can spitball some ideas that would work

Nah, it's alright. I'm gonna wait until we're closer to an appropriate level, then probably just have everyone stand around Insighted (Insought?) until the counters happen.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- I wouldn't track overdrives between characters, the only unique dialogue is a couple words from the one initiating it, unrelated to whoever the partner is.
- Pom Party IS some Crossbell bullshit! (The bullshit is that the AI's speed of moves is tied to the framerate.) It's not limited to Mishyland.
- Jusis did "Arts Support" to Elliot's last Crystal Flood. I'm certain that buffs the damage done, I think by 20%.
- "Let's just recount the final three rounds of the battle..." - :allears: It's adorable how impressive you think that was. No one has gotten their second S-Craft yet, never mind all the incredibly powerful quartz still to be found.
- This is Elliot's turn as mandatory party member, so if you're doing the "hometown outfits" thing, this would be an appropriate time to switch Elliot into his Casuals outfit.
- Class VII is going to continue to make increasingly less believable claims that they're not supporting either faction, and no one.
- Everyone usually gets their second S-Craft sometime when they're in the "mandatory party member" levelling zone. Gaius gets his at level 78 or 79, so he'll probably get his if you take him on the operation.
- All of the ranged and close-combat training exercises have "don't use arts" as a required condition. The arts training exercises have "don't use crafts", which on balance makes them even harder.
- Elliot and Emma's staves are technically ranged, even though it's a very short range. That's why they're allowed in the ranged training course.
- You don't do Mirage Arrow nearly often enough. It is classified as a Magic attack, which means that it actually does decent damage because of Alisa's good ATS stat. It wasn't in the first game, it's her new craft for this game.
- The conditions make these exercises somewhat difficult, so I usually do them later.'
- The U-Material reward scales up fast. You only get the lump-sum reward from meeting the bonus conditions once, but the enemies always drop one, so you can farm these pretty easily once you're free to not have to care about meeting the bonus conditions, and are strong enough to crush them fast.
- "You couldn't steal any good office supplies on your way off the campus?" ...*looks up what the reward for beating all levels of Ranged Combat Training is* ...the answer is no.
- The best advice for beating level 3 ranged training is to come back a bit later.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Gaius' village does seem to have an unusual dearth of adult women for a functional community, even given the usual JRPG compression of space.

Don't remember if it was ever confirmed, but I have to imagine there's other communities of Nord elsewhere in the plains. I have a vague recollection of communities closer to the Calvard border being mentioned, anyway.

I think rescuing a General's daughter from enemy custody may just be the least believable "neutral" act the Scooby Gang have gotten up to by this point. Even the Bracer's famously broad remit might pause for a second at that kind of partisanship. Though in fairness, Sara's perspective on the application of the Code seems to be fairly representative of the Erebonian Guild.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Classy Hydra posted:

Though in fairness, Sara's perspective on the application of the Code seems to be fairly representative of the Erebonian Guild.

From what I'm gathering, Sara's key principle as a bracer is "any amount of violence works as long as it misses civilians, if the job gets done". She's practically the third member of the Dirty Pair.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Worth noting that you have Elliot, and that is Class VII's justification in itself. They're not saving Olaf Craig's daughter, they are saving Elliot Craig's sister.

Realistically, this is an act of aggression from the noble faction against both the imperials AND Class VII, which is probably why Duke Albarea did it. He's not as bright as his son.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Classy Hydra posted:

I think rescuing a General's daughter from enemy custody may just be the least believable "neutral" act the Scooby Gang have gotten up to by this point. Even the Bracer's famously broad remit might pause for a second at that kind of partisanship. Though in fairness, Sara's perspective on the application of the Code seems to be fairly representative of the Erebonian Guild.

Sorry, couldn't hear you over Bracer Team Sky explicitly being involved in dismantling a governmental coup because civilians were involved.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
The Sky coup was a little different, if only because Richard (iirc) was the only member of the uprising with legitimate authority behind him. If I recall, the Intelligence Division didn't really claim any right to control territory either, they mostly just launched a decapitation strike at the capital and booked it to where they thought the Aureole was being kept; it's hard to consider them a true "side" in any war, any more than (for example) the Imperial Liberation Front was.

Obviously Bracers have at least some discretion to choose what counts as political matter as opposed to terrorism (or banditry, etc.). Still a bit sketchy since obviously the Intelligence Division was an acknowledged part of Liberl's military structure, but I don't think a single Colonel commands the same force of authority that the Noble Alliance's 4/4 Great Houses score commands.

And yeah, it's textual fact that the Guild leans on the "...unless civilians are in danger" clause a lot. Probably why Blood and Iron wasn't a fan.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 17, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

secretly best girl posted:

From what I'm gathering, Sara's key principle as a bracer is "any amount of violence works as long as it misses civilians, if the job gets done". She's practically the third member of the Dirty Pair.

It's "If you ever need a helping hand beating the crap out of some monsters, I'm your gal"...so, close

also big ups to Awakening Will, one of my favorite CS2 tracks

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 18, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think everyone can agree that Class VII's pretense of being neutral is nonsense. In fairness, expecting them to be neutral is equally ridiculous, since they were branded wanted criminals for (A) fighting a group which was declared to be a terrorist by the legitimate government of the country (Class VII even received commendations from the Emperor himself, in person, for fighting that group) and (B) resisting being indefinitely detained illegally for the purposes of being used as a hostage to force compliance of others to the Noble Alliance.

The Bracer code prevents them from acting against recognized state actors, such as politicians and members of the armed forces unless those actors are putting civilian lives in danger. Hostage-taking is explicitly a threat to the hostage. Fiona Craig being the daughter of a general is irrelevant. She is unquestionably a civilian, without any current or former military rank, nor does she have a political position of power. Therefore, the Bracer code of protecting civilians applies here.

The real confusion and problem with the writing is that the game is trying to convey the idea that Class VII is neutral in the political position between Chancellor Osborne's reforms and the Noble Alliance's regressive politics, but there are no members of the Reformist faction who are free and who have taken up the mantle and the leadership, there is only the Imperial Army, which, as far as I know, doesn't actually have any overall leadership. No Joint Chiefs, just a group of Generals leading their own divisions, and they don't have political goals of their own. The IA seems to be fighting largely because they were attacked, and are therefore in a state of conflict, and there is no leadership they respect has told them to stand down and cease fighting. The Emperor might be able to do that, but I can't imagine he's particularly inclined to do so (especially since if he did give such an order, the calculation about whether he would be more useful alive or dead would swing strongly towards "dead").

Given how the Noble Alliance has declared Class VII as wanted criminals for crap reasons as outlined above, I can understand the Imperial Army not trusting the Noble Alliance to honor the safety of the soldiers under IA command if they were to surrender.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
They want to make it clear that they're a distinct faction from the Imperials, not necessarily a neutral one, for all that the word gets incorrectly used a few times (I wonder if it translates directly to "Neutral"). And they are distinct. They are ultimately opposed to both sides, but they're actively opposed to one and ideologically opposed to another. So they only enter into open conflict with one. Their position makes a lot more sense when you realize that the people they want to convince they're not on Team Imperial is not the Noble Faction; it is the Imperialists.

Class VII/Olivert did not desire the conflict, but now that it's ongoing, they are absolutely trying to emerge as the guiding hand in Erebonian politics going forward.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- Only Ymir fishing spot refills between sub-acts since it's near the what's essentially the hub town for the first part of the game. The others never do.

- No "Pew pew pew" shouts in crafts, but Fie does throw in a "Yoink!" during her S-craft in Cold Steel III and IV, if that counts.

- Actually, while Wallace Bardias is considered strong, the biggest fish was really General Aurelia LeGuin, who was mentioned to have mastered both Vander and Arseid styles of swordsmanship.

- The Guild's code is no joke. In Sky FC, Estelle, Joshua and Agate used the "protect citizens" as justification for breaking into a military facility, which flies head-on into the organisation's usual no-political-interference rule.

- The arts users get to participate because the training involves ranged attackers and orbal staves are somewhat ranged. That said, both Elliot and Emma have useful crafts to still contribute to support and debuff. Of course, support crafts need CP, so it may not be a good idea to blow their S-crafts during those training battles unless it finishes the enemies off.

- You should check the computer on the Courageous' bridge and immediately get rewards for whatever quests you completed/students you found.

- The counter-condition isn't that hard to trigger in that training battle since you have Sara who has a self-buff that gives her insight and you have Fie with a high native dodge rate and Alisa with her Heavenly Gift craft, the combination allowing Jaeger Tot to dodge most stuff the combat shells can throw at her. (aside from one faint-inducing attack that always hits) You just need to move Fie into range of the combat shells rather than using Scud Ripper, which doesn't change her position since while her counter is long-range now, its range still has a limit and she won't be countering stuff from the other side of the field. In fact, if you had used Heavenly Gift at the start of this battle, Fie probably would have gotten those three counters already.

Classy Hydra posted:

Nah, Estelle, Joshua and Agate once used that same remit to justify infiltrating a military facility because they were holding a civilian hostage. The Guild even had a floor plan of said military facility for such an occasion, though that might have less been standard Guild procedure and more Kilika being Kilika.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy posted:

- You should check the computer on the Courageous' bridge and immediately get rewards for whatever quests you completed/students you found.

talking to Prince Olivert is the real reward

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
The Bracer issue's interesting because I'm pretty sure Estelle and co wouldn't have gotten away with that were they in a country with a weaker connection to the Bracer Guild. It definitely wouldn't fly in Crossbell anyway. Liberl seems to grant the guild an unusually broad remit, although that might just be a matter of it being a relatively small country that has a more pressing need for the Guild's help.

Veryslightlymad posted:

They want to make it clear that they're a distinct faction from the Imperials, not necessarily a neutral one, for all that the word gets incorrectly used a few times (I wonder if it translates directly to "Neutral"). And they are distinct. They are ultimately opposed to both sides, but they're actively opposed to one and ideologically opposed to another. So they only enter into open conflict with one. Their position makes a lot more sense when you realize that the people they want to convince they're not on Team Imperial is not the Noble Faction; it is the Imperialists.

What's their ideological opposition to the Reformists or the Imperial Status Quo?

Rean, of course, is sympathetic to Crow and the ILF's distaste for Osborne, who was the lead figure of that faction, but I don't see any area where that understanding has ideologically influenced any action Class VII does. Their position, broadly anyway, is to restore the Imperial Family to power and generally return things to the previous status quo (basically the Imperial position), while in specific cases to clamping down on the abuses against the citizenry imposed by especially bad leaders in the Noble Alliance (a Reformist position, kinda sorta).

Class VII is broadly speaking a third party, since they don't explicitly follow any chain of command (except I guess Prince Olivert, if you count that), but I don't see any well-articulated example of criticisms they might have with the Imperial Army, RMP, or Intelligence Division's conduct. If anything, their main point of contention is that they want to settle their own poo poo (gathering the student diaspora and freeing Thors from NA command) and help civilians rather than focus on key military objectives. That's an indication they don't think of themselves as subordinate to Imperial command, but they're not really opposed so much as just doing other stuff while the army covers explicitly military matters.

If anything, the advantage of Class VII's self-declared "neutral" status is ironically political in nature; it makes opposing the NA feel less like supporting the Reformists in a political dispute, and more like just supporting the Empire in general.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Erpy posted:

- Only Ymir fishing spot refills between sub-acts since it's near the what's essentially the hub town for the first part of the game. The others never do.

The first is excellent info, thank you. As for the second: We've nearly finished this chunk of the game, recordings are slightly ahead. We did find the Olivert button before raiding the compound.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Classy Hydra posted:

What's their ideological opposition to the Reformists or the Imperial Status Quo?

Rean, of course, is sympathetic to Crow and the ILF's distaste for Osborne, who was the lead figure of that faction, but I don't see any area where that understanding has ideologically influenced any action Class VII does. Their position, broadly anyway, is to restore the Imperial Family to power and generally return things to the previous status quo (basically the Imperial position), while in specific cases to clamping down on the abuses against the citizenry imposed by especially bad leaders in the Noble Alliance (a Reformist position, kinda sorta).

Mostly that the ILF are war-mongers. Things like the Railway Guns and the rapid annexation of several neighbors over the years. The rapid expansion of the Imperial Military is arguably the cause for the civil war in the first place. This is basically spelled out in the second chapter of CS1. The provincials started upgrading all of their own weaponry, yes, partly because they planned this very coup, but also because they didn't want Osborne's aggressive posturing to be turned inward. And being a third party, I think some of what they figure with regards to the country's tense situation, is that there will never really be peace between the two if one or the other of the existing factions wins. I mean, barring maybe the ILF winning and deciding to go full French Revolution, which, obviously, the class that's roughly 33% nobility probably doesn't support.

Also little things here or there, like "maybe re-build the Bracer Guild"

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Mostly that the ILF are war-mongers. Things like the Railway Guns and the rapid annexation of several neighbors over the years. The rapid expansion of the Imperial Military is arguably the cause for the civil war in the first place. This is basically spelled out in the second chapter of CS1. The provincials started upgrading all of their own weaponry, yes, partly because they planned this very coup, but also because they didn't want Osborne's aggressive posturing to be turned inward. And being a third party, I think some of what they figure with regards to the country's tense situation, is that there will never really be peace between the two if one or the other of the existing factions wins. I mean, barring maybe the ILF winning and deciding to go full French Revolution, which, obviously, the class that's roughly 33% nobility probably doesn't support.

Also little things here or there, like "maybe re-build the Bracer Guild"

Oh, I'm not implying Rean or really any of Class VII actively approve of the Imperial Status quo in any meaningful way, don't get me wrong.

They were, of course, basically quasi-antagonists of CS1 and Rean clearly has some sympathy for the ILF stemming from legitimate issues they've also had some experience with (Railway guns, shutting out the Bracers, being associated with "definitely not shady" Osborne). Rean's current heavy association with elements of the Reformists and Erebonia's military branch is born almost entirely out of being friends with individuals who are connected to those spheres, as well as the obvious opposition to Ouroboros and the NA being transparently the aggressors in this situation. From a personal perspective, I don't think Rean is really all that anti-noble in sentiment either, given he comes from a loving family of nobles and is close friends with Laura and Jusis, so he's not exactly a model Reformist in that sense either.

In practice though, I think Rean and co. have staked out a position that's pretty unarguably pro-Reformist through a combination of the allies they keep, the ambiguity of their general philosophy, and a lack of a clear goal they're aiming for beyond a reasonable end to the war.

(post CS2 games) Though I think I'll stop talking about it here, because honestly I think that's almost fully intentional on the part of the game and almost entirely a lead-in to Cold Steel 3. It's just kinda funny to see Rean so confident his faction is a "3rd way".

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Classy Hydra posted:

In practice though, I think Rean and co. have staked out a position that's pretty unarguably pro-Reformist through a combination of the allies they keep, the ambiguity of their general philosophy, and a lack of a clear goal they're aiming for beyond a reasonable end to the war.

I think the main problem is that Dukes Cayenne and Albarea suck so loving much that anyone doing anything reasonable is basically in opposition to them by default.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Classy Hydra posted:

Oh, I'm not implying Rean or really any of Class VII actively approve of the Imperial Status quo in any meaningful way, don't get me wrong.

They were, of course, basically quasi-antagonists of CS1 and Rean clearly has some sympathy for the ILF stemming from legitimate issues they've also had some experience with (Railway guns, shutting out the Bracers, being associated with "definitely not shady" Osborne). Rean's current heavy association with elements of the Reformists and Erebonia's military branch is born almost entirely out of being friends with individuals who are connected to those spheres, as well as the obvious opposition to Ouroboros and the NA being transparently the aggressors in this situation. From a personal perspective, I don't think Rean is really all that anti-noble in sentiment either, given he comes from a loving family of nobles and is close friends with Laura and Jusis, so he's not exactly a model Reformist in that sense either.

(post CS2 games) Though I think I'll stop talking about it here, because honestly I think that's almost fully intentional on the part of the game and almost entirely a lead-in to Cold Steel 3. It's just kinda funny to see Rean so confident his faction is a "3rd way".

I've posted my thoughts on this before in the Falcom thread, but I'll also forego my conclusion here, until the end of the game, because I think when all the cards are on the table, Class VII's position makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

233. Biggerrr Trrrouble

It's time to go rescue Fiona Craig! ... that's ... that's it. That's the entire storyline.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Our present stage is the Courageous

e: Alfin's paperwork was printed with a PS1

our lusty Erebonian maid is indisposed so Gaius has to polish his own spear now

4-star Soldat unbalances are usually reserved for their special attack stances; you have to choose between the guaranteed unbalance that leaves you open, or a safer move

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 30, 2021

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- As far as Unite moves for the Divine Knight battles go, there's only four of them just like there's only four elemental arts to cast. Several classmates have the same elemental art/unite move.

- In addition to a higher burn chance, Alisa's Flamberge 2 craft also has a +30% chance to unbalance rather than the first version's +20%. So craft upgrades also occasionally add more unbalance odds. (though not in Rean's Gale case)

- This was a one-time only dungeon, so any chests you would have missed are gone forever.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- The True Gladiator Belt is pretty good on Alisa when she's in the party, as it lets her feed CP to everyone else without running her own CP totally dry. Plentiful CP for 4 people is better than plentiful CP for Rean and Rean only.
- Quartz in this game are really expensive, but the good news is that anything with a 3 at the end is top-of that line. I think on my recent playthrough I made a mistake by getting a bunch of "[Whatever] 2" quartz and then I was low on sepith when the level 3 ones came around.
- This game hands out U-Material pretty readily. Maybe not "spend 50 U-Mats to get 1/4 of a weapon upgrade" readily, but it's very generous. You can get a LOT of U-Material just from meeting the bonus conditions of the Melee/Ranged/Arts training rooms.
- Funds will probably be tight for the rest of the next part, but after that it likely gets better.
- You don't need to grind experience, people who are behind the curve get auto-levelled at the start of the next part.
- I always drop a save after I've got everyone set up, just so if I need to re-do anything, I don't have to re-do the preparations I already made.
- Cold Steel 3 - which, I've finally started to play in the last couple weeks - realizes that the always-there cast size in CS 1/2 was a bit too large, so it tends to work with a smaller group at any one time. At least, so far.

- "Are these Soldat battles harder on higher difficulties?" The answer is "not really". I think I only lost like two battles on Nightmare, just from trying to push my luck a little too much. It did help that I carried over Notebook info so I didn't need to waste time guessing weak points, but I didn't find these battles particularly interesting. Being able to infinitely heal and restore energy means it's difficult to lose any of these.
- It's interesting that you use support characters for their elemental magic, I use them almost entirely for the spells that copy their crafts.
- Morning Moon lasts until the start of Valimar's next turn, so it's more effective against multiple attacks, or if there's a very strong enemy craft coming up.
- Different stances on the soldats having different unbalance chances makes some sense, because unbalance is essentially a chance to stagger the opponent by hitting them where they're vulnerable. When an opponent changes their stance, it changes how different parts are defended or balanced.

- Delay + 3 is good, but Raven is kinda underwhelming. The biggest issue is that the stat growths for everything but SPD and STR are pretty bad. I like giving her Falco for the evasion and Insight. Later on there's a really good quartz which is essentially perfectly suited for Fie. (Keep on scanning those enemies.)
- I love Jusis's sarcastic "Oh, you were helping?"
- Human opponents always have a LOT more HP than monsters and archaisms. Those Noble Officers are actually surprisingly dangerous if they get off some of their arts.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy posted:

- As far as Unite moves for the Divine Knight battles go, there's only four of them just like there's only four elemental arts to cast.

there are six: Sunlight, Moonlight, Starlight, Sacred, Dragon, and Updog

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Sadly nobody told the Japanese cast to have one person off-script for group responses

https://polsy.org.uk/lp/v/tooooocs.mp4

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ Skipped Venture Brothers quote: "You think you're hot poo poo in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup." (Call it a guess)

~ There are three blades on Gaius's jūmonji yari (Or maybe his spetum, the difference between the two is fairly trivial) that could be sharpened.

~ For all that Millium up front seems weird, Airgetlam is still probably best in front of the people made out of conventional materials, such as Flesh.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ Skipped Venture Brothers quote: "You think you're hot poo poo in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup." (Call it a guess)

Got it in one.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Honestly I'd say Valimar is less "Anorexic Gundam" and more like if Weltall and specifically, Weltall 2 or Weltall Id and Cybuster had a kid. The Soldats on the other hand arguably take more design elements from the Knightmare Frames of Code Geass, if a bit more boxy and wide. They're too stylized and fancy to really be compared to something like a Scopedog, and the general vibe of them as a plot element fits a bit closer to how KNF in Geass were used, to say nothing of Crow's entire C plot having clear parallels with Lelouch and Zero (he even shares Suzaku's VA in the original dub). I will say that I kinda agree that most of the grunt Soldat units are kinda bland compared to Valimar, but some later ones add a bit of variety to the silhouette of them. A thing that probably doesn't help their look is just how they're proportioned; it's not as prominent in the game engine itself but if you look at their lineart they kinda have short legs for how big their arms and torsos are, giving them an almost top-heavy look. Valimar's proportions are a bit better in that regard.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrifeHira posted:

"Anorexic Gundam"

Gundam Wal-purge-is

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

234. A Major Victory

Class VII saves the day again? Sort of?? We'll have to ponder this at church.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fie runs with her gun's pointed down in case she has to rocket jump without warning

that freezy sound in the double dog darrrre fight was Fie coming out of stealth

I liked the route in Langrisser I where the hero is captured and brought to the dark lord's evil realm, and sees that it's actually a pretty nice place to live

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hwurmp posted:

I liked the route in Langrisser I where the hero is captured and brought to the dark lord's evil realm, and sees that it's actually a pretty nice place to live

I'm gonna be real honest: how the gently caress is Fire Emblem a thing, Langrisser plays around so much better with branching stories and characters and tactical development for a SRPG, I love every branch idea and what it does to the cast.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fire Emblem did what Trails did, and Langrisser did not:

went full dating sim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

secretly best girl posted:

I'm gonna be real honest: how the gently caress is Fire Emblem a thing, Langrisser plays around so much better with branching stories and characters and tactical development for a SRPG, I love every branch idea and what it does to the cast.

Fire Emblem actually got an English localization that wasn't Warsong. Arguably also platforms and art style, and possibly simplicity of gameplay trumping increased tactical choice.

That said, I'm very much enjoying Lang Mobile, which also functionally also gives access to Lang 1-4, with 5 currently being released.