Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I feel bad for not having romantic encounters installed now. The network would have been so complex. I wanted to install it but something went wrong with the installation so I had to get rid of it... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Vichan posted:

I feel bad for not having romantic encounters installed now. The network would have been so complex. I wanted to install it but something went wrong with the installation so I had to get rid of it... :(
But Romantic Encounters would've only let the PC sleep around; it just wouldn't be in the spirit of this mod to bang people who are not a) Sandrah or b) also getting banged by Sandrah :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't think Romantic Encounters has BG1 stuff? Or at least it didn't the last time I looked (which was, admittedly, a long time ago now).

Carpator Diei posted:

But Romantic Encounters would've only let the PC sleep around; it just wouldn't be in the spirit of this mod to bang people who are not a) Sandrah or b) also getting banged by Sandrah :v:

NPC mods I can think of who sleep with other NPCs:

Gavin (Imoen)
Kelsey (Imoen)
Chloe (Imoen)
Auren Aseph (Nalia)
Darian (Aerie, ToB only)

Plus Aerie's brief thing with Haer'dalis in the unmodded game.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm having painful shits today, which also describes any dialogue coming out of this mod.
That is all.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I don't think Romantic Encounters has BG1 stuff? Or at least it didn't the last time I looked (which was, admittedly, a long time ago now).

https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/npcs/bg-romantic-encounters/

It released relatively late compared to the BG2 version.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Romantic Encounters mod description posted:

For some encounters, the female PC should brush herself, as it might be she comes out flustered if she doesn't stop in time.
What does that even mean? :psyduck:

Cythereal posted:

NPC mods I can think of who sleep with other NPCs:

Gavin (Imoen)
Kelsey (Imoen)
Chloe (Imoen)
Is it possible that parts of the BG mod community are just a slight bit weird about Imoen?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Carpator Diei posted:

What does that even mean? :psyduck:

Is it possible that parts of the BG mod community are just a slight bit weird about Imoen?

Yes.

However, none of these are anywhere NEAR as upsetting as the infamous mod that lets Charname romance Imoen themselves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carpator Diei posted:

The Imoen Romance was the most hosed up and impressively awfully written mod despite some phenomenal technical skill working with the Infinity Engine I'd seen until Sandrah, so...

Yeah, probably.

Hell, even I wrote Valerie as being flirty with Imoen in BG1 (that, uh, doesn't last in BG2 in the written-but-unreleased BG2 part).

(and the first draft of Darian, who I'll remind you I wrote in high school, had a romance with Imoen - the first of two NPC-NPC romances for Darian I wrote, coded, and completely discarded before settling on the final version of the character)

I've also heard that the Edwin Romance has Edwin romance Imoen if you don't romance him, but I never downloaded or played that mod so I can't verify.

Edit: And since I brought up the Imoen Romance, let me put it this way. That mod lets you try to rape Imoen. She responds by turning into the Slayer and killing you in a cutscene.

As bad as Sandrah is, at least hasn't been any rape.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 27, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter XXV - I knew this road to wealth would get me the best of chicks in the end.

Bandits on the horizon!

Sandrah knows everyone/ (Yes, she knows the other bandit you can encounter as well, same convo/portrait)

I get why they changed these cutscenes in the Enhanced Edition but come on. :allears:

Little does he know Tazok is already hovering behind him.

He takes us just outside the camp.

Dude, it just happened...

Famous last words.

Poor Viconia, too many outdoor areas on the Sword Coast.

Ardenor Crush is the leader of the Chill. He suspects nothing.

A cave, huh? Let's go there quickest! (ugh)

Knott here tells us to go to the big tent. Gee, thanks.

Challenge accepted.

Guess which one of us got out and which one got smashed to pieces?

In the back we find a wounded orc.

After some healing...

Calm down, Imoen! :gonk:

The orc gets away unscathed. I wonder if we'll ever run into him again...

To Tazok's tent! :black101:

The beast's hunger knows no bounds. Soon she will feed.

For some reason he doesn't attack us after this, our cover remains intact.

Once in the tent...

Oh well, it was worth a try. Stab stab die.

That's weird, she thought his name was Devern before, now she knows how to spell it correctly?

Henning, here we come!

We pick up some documents from the nearby chest:

Sarevok, huh? I wonder wh-

Sarevok's a Bhaalspawn!? Could he be Sandrah's sibling?

I'm genuinely invested in Jen'lig's story.

Wait, when has Sandrah ever given bad advice?

It's nice to end with a good banter... :)

...I do want to leave you with one more thing.

This is what would have happened if Kivan had joined us, I chose not to go with this because I this is Sandrah Saga and she gets to shine.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 7, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, the contrast between that Moonblade bit and Sandrah is STARK.

How does someone write that Sandrah scene with Xan and not think "Have I created a sexual predator?"

Vichan posted:

Said picture is her original portrait, I believe.

It's also a lot better because it doesn't have a fuckin rifle in it... And it's actually a gith!

Fighting Trousers posted:

This is amazing.

(I can't wait for her to gently caress her way out of us having to fight both Saravok and Irenicus.)

I HATE THAT I CAN'T RESIST CLICKING SPOILERS

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The "your formidable mate" is giving me big flashbacks to the last megamod that fizzled out. Which is unfortunate cos I loved that playthrough, it ruled.

Deadset though, I'm just in awe at this mod - did someone pay money for this to be made? can they get that money back?

The continued use of really bad old english is destroying my psyche one word at a time.

It seems to me that this mod is all about changing the real protagonist to Sandrah, Charname is just (one of) the vehicle(s) she rides to conclude the story.

Also Jez'lik has officially overstayed their welcome.

e: jfc there was another page

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is it just me, or is the writing in this mod somehow getting even worse? I swear it started out as stilted but legible, and it quickest seems to be devolving into barely qualifying as English.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shar-Teal as a Paladin ... wtf

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Shar-Teal as a Paladin ... wtf

Yeah I have no idea, what mod did that???

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd guess it's meant to be anti-paladin or blackguard, but... is Shar-teel even religious in any sense?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is it just me, or is the writing in this mod somehow getting even worse? I swear it started out as stilted but legible, and it quickest seems to be devolving into barely qualifying as English.

If I had to guess, I'd say that English isn't Roxanne's first language and that something along the lines of her volunteer proofreaders giving up by this point happened.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Midnight Voyager posted:

I HATE THAT I CAN'T RESIST CLICKING SPOILERS

I have no idea if that actually happens or not, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it does at the rate we're going.

And speaking of Saravok and spoilers, thanks for ruining that bit of mystery, Roxanne. Wanna go ahead and clue us in on the endgame for Throne of Bhaal now or do you need to save that for chapter 5?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fighting Trousers posted:

I have no idea if that actually happens or not, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it does at the rate we're going.

And speaking of Saravok and spoilers, thanks for ruining that bit of mystery, Roxanne. Wanna go ahead and clue us in on the endgame for Throne of Bhaal now or do you need to save that for chapter 5?

But that image is in my head now and I hate it!

I love that she just can't resist looking at the faintest clues about anything and IMMEDIATELY telling us what they mean. It's really great. Who needs an in-depth spoiler-filled walkthrough when you have Sandrah?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Midnight Voyager posted:

But that image is in my head now and I hate it!

I love that she just can't resist looking at the faintest clues about anything and IMMEDIATELY telling us what they mean. It's really great. Who needs an in-depth spoiler-filled walkthrough when you have Sandrah?

I mean, a bit of foreshadowing is one thing. I'm guilty of that myself (extremely minor spoilers just in case). If you have Valerie do some research on Bhaal she turns up the name Amelyssan the Blackhearted as Bhaal's high priestess as of the Time of Troubles, noting that her body count was beyond belief and that she hasn't been seen since the Time of Troubles, leading most people to conclude that she died with her god.

But, uh. Subtlety is not Sandrah's strong suit. Why use a spoon when you have industrial excavation equipment handy?

She'll probably sleep with Ellesime for good measure. Some people in the modding community were really creepy about "Irenicus did nothing wrong! It was all that heartless bitch Ellesime's fault!"

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 28, 2021

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hahaha, I was actually thinking "too bad Kivan isn't there" when I got to the end.

I keep on wanting to see Sandrah and certain evil NPCs interact but then I remember how she dealt with Edwin and lose interest.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I think this article does a good job exploring the writing decisions behind Sandrah and this whole mod.

Honestly, I love this mess as a demonstration of the hubris of humanity: just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You know, I'm loving the concept of a mod like this as a creepypasta that just start slowly breaking down and breaking the fourth wall

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Imoen did you hit your head?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Brainamp posted:

I know this mod is bad, but I really wanna know what train of thought demanded that Imoen hook up with a no-name shopkeeper and that this nerd is somehow the most important guy in Nashkel

Also that Sandrah can somehow tell orc blood from human at a glance

Orc blood is green duh.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Brainamp posted:

Imoen did you hit your head?

I think it might be one of the German mods? Couple of them come with a warning that their English is, uhh, variable, even from Roxanne herself.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Just finished reading this from the start. Was not expecting a description of how moist a lizard is.
~moist~

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter XXVI - Jen'lig and commander not do for breeding.

We turn to the grim task of killing everyone in the bandit camp, quite a fun exercise.

It gives our companions time to compliment each other on their mercilessness.

Isn't she wonderful? :allears:

We'll be certain to find out about these other delights when we get to BG2. :heysexy:

Our attempt to emulate Sandrah fails miserably.

More dreams, what could they mean?

Imoen's words will have to do, Sandrah doesn't seem interested in talking to me about it.

With the bandit camp dealt with the head to the Friendly Arm Inn. Just outside the gates we are accosted by a party of do-gooders.

I mean, there was that one xvart village but we made it all up to them in the end!

The resulting fight was pretty tough.

Lots of OP gear though.

We've already heard about M.S. but this P.W. is new, a lot of people seem to want us dead.

We run into Elminster. His advice is welcome and he upgrades Gorion's dagger to boot!

Before we head to the Cloakwood we'll have to make some changes however.

Shar-Teel is attracted to shiny stuff.

Anyway, about these changes...

Hello Khalid and Jaheira...

And farewell Shar-Teel and Viconia. :wave: You'll see why I did this in a bit.

Khalid seems a bit behind on current events.

Sandrah and Jaheira seem to be getting along though. :gbsmith:

In the first area of Cloakwood we run into Aldeth, he has a bit of a druid problem.

This is Seniyad, he has a bit of a hunter problem.

Normally you have to choose between one or the other, Seniyad seems like the better option HOWEVER siding with Aldeth nets you a pretty cool quest in Baldur's Gate. Choices, choices...

...At least in vanilla BG1. BG1NPC allows you to pick a diplomatic option if you bring Khalid and Jaheira along. :)

What's this about a favor though?

Khalid and Jaheira will be accompanying us through the Cloakwood until we deal with their quest, after that we'll be adding some of the NPCs this place has to offer.

Jaheira and Beador seem to have a bit of a history, interesting...

We'll definitely pay him a visit when we get to Baldur's Gate.

Jaheira's warning is appreciated, this place can kick your rear end if you're not prepared. (Or not overleveled like me)

These kinds of quests never seem to end well in BG1.

The ever inquisitive Jaheira runs into a brick wall. :downs:

This dragon kicked my rear end the first time around, this time he went down though. Jen'lig is quite the powerhouse.

Speaking of Jen'lig, choosing to rest led to another scene...

:gonk:

:barf:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 7, 2021

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

To touch upon a previous post in the thread like three story updates ago. You could do something interesting with the idea of the party as a complicated polycule. Which of-course Sandrah Saga doesn't even try to do. Its Sandrah and you and also everyone else and any relationships besides that don't really matter, they might exist in other mods but Sandrah certainly will not really care, talk about or in any way interact with them. Its Sandrah's harem and also some other mods enabled some side romances. That probably Sandrah is also in a romance with, and probably she's more important to them than you are.

To be approaching even remotely a healthy polycule everyone involved should at least start by accepting that they are in fact all involved together. They should negotiate boundaries, discuss needs and wants, etc. Which ofcourse will not happen. Instead Sandrah will exclusively have one on one interactions with all of them because she's the pretties and the most important person.

Sandrah is a story katamari slowly absorbing not just the bhaalspawns story but also everyone else's as Roxanne rolls it along the sword coast.

But I'm retreading old ground. Lets discuss something else instead. Jen'lig. You know what didn't creep me out, her romance. Lets put the explicit sex scene with a Gith to the side, maybe cover it in a blanket for modesty's sake and not talk about it further. The rest though was fine. And it was fine because its everything Sandrah's "romances" are not. Jen'Lig is weird from the perspective of the most people, comes not just from an unusual society but from a society outside of the realms as a whole.

Her understanding of social structures is weird. And there are a number of dialogues with her explaining how the social structures between our cultures are different.
She doesn't really do or understand romance. There are discussions with a variety of party members and you about this, and in turn about how the realms approach romance.
She does understand sex, mostly for reproduction but also appreciates it for recreation. This is discussed, and how that's different from how things work in the realms.
Also discussed is how Githyanki society organizes relationships, how her relatively high position in society means she would have a from pick of a pool of desirable mates, what she thinks are desirable qualities. Etc.

I'm being perhaps a little generous, and extrapolating. But this is all at least touched on.

There is an initial scene where you try something out, agree that you both liked it. Then a sex scene. The fact that she doesn't really stick around for a cuddle after isn't unexpected, its been well established how Jen'liq thinks about sex vs romance. And then later a discussion about the sex you had, and if you'd both like to do it again.

You see what happened there. Despite being from very different places and cultures two adults discussed over a number of days both with eachother and with friends their wants, needs, expectations and limits. They then tried some foreplay, and had sex, and talked about that sex. Like normal adults in a relationship. An unusual relationship but an informed, consenting and functional one.

Which is everything your relationship with Sandrah isn't. You cannot talk to her about your wants and needs and she communicates hers only as they come up. In fact the relationship goes one way, Sandrah's. The only way to "discuss" the nature of your relationship with Sandrah is by disapproving of her other relationships, a topic she immediately shuts down. Do it too much and she's just gone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 28, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I think that is the long and short of it. Roxanne's sockpuppets insist that Sandrah is a complex and flawed character, and we can certainly point out a lot of things that are wrong, but the universe around her never does. You can't point out that her conquests are predatory or straight up grooming, you can just tell her you're a jealous little control freak and the game punishes you for this. You can't communicate the boundaries of your relationship, they are whatever she tells you they are. You can't even explore the depths of her personality or history, she will tell you what she's like, and you cannot disagree, and she will dump exposition in your lap once in a while, entirely unrelated to the world around her.

The whole point of writing a character in a story, let alone into a story written by someone else, is for them to respond to the world around them. Sandrah does not respond to anything around her, it is the world that must change to accomodate her whims.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

How do you make this worse? why not add an abortion!

Is the author trolling us?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Welp that contrasts weird with my post about this relationship. Guess I should have seen this coming.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

jesus loving wept

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. That was a weird scene to start the day with.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Broke: DmC's infamous sniper rifle abortion
Woke: +3 silver sword of eggslaying

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Okay, glossing over how INCREDIBLY hosed UP that is, I don't actually believe a human (yes, I know) and a lizardfolk could produce offspring of any kind. Reptiles and mammals are completely different classifications of life. You could plausibly manage reptiles and either birds or amphibians, maybe, but mammals are just too far removed. Hell, plenty of reptiles can reproduce asexually anyway.

On a less technical note, who the hell would think of this and decide it was a worthy plot point that should be included in their story? What does this add to the narrative except to ruin what Tzarnal pointed out is the only even vaguely healthy relationship in this mess?

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Ulvino posted:

I'm scare-roused. :ohdear:

Not anymore! :yikes:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

brb, learning to code BG mods so I can delete the entire concept of romance subplots and make every single NPC aggressively asexual

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Wouldn't that just lead to lovingly detailed cuddling scenes?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter XXVII - Do not become hopeless just now, my poor besta friend.

We press onward, slaying many spiders along the way.

They make a great couple. :allears:

We encounter Centeol's cave, a pretty interesting area.

Centeol knows Jon Irenicus. But wait, there's more.

A lot of NPCs in BG1 have unique dialogue if you charm them, this includes people like Thalantyr but also enemies. Centeol is my favourite because of the way she foreshadows BG2. (In the original BG1 she references Jon Icarus, this was changed to Jon Irenicus somewhere along the line) We'll also run into Tanova somewhere along the line. Neat. :)

We oblige her, collecting Spider's Bane and Tiber's brother's corpse in the process.

...Of course Sandrah's knowledgable about the subject as well.

You'll be happy to know this is a Sandrah-lite chapter. On to the next area.

This chapter is all about Jaheira, baby! Here she warns us about the Shadow Druids.

Some druids are friendly...

...Others are anything but. Thankfully they're laughably easy to dispatch.

Over here we have the most forgettable NPC of BG1, Faldorn. I always forget she exists until I reach this area only to forget about her again as soon as I leave the Cloakwood. She's voiced by the same person who voices Jaheira so having them both in the party is quite the trip, especially because they argue constantly. She has content for Jaheira's quest but we simply don't have room for her. We might add her to the party later on to see if she interacts with Sandrah but in all likelihood Roxanne forgot she existed as well.

Farewell, whoever you are. :wave:

Oooh, a literal treehouse!

So cozy as well!

Uh-oh.

For all his bluster he dies almost immediately.

She attacks us after this, I hope this doesn't come back to bite us. Next area.

The Enhanced Edition doesn't even have a cutscene here, a travesty.

The druids assaulting Beador aren't that hard.

I always forget where to go after this and this time was no different. Mostly because Beador gives false directions. rear end in a top hat.

I can't wait to see how those two will interact with each other.

This guy sells quite a lot of high level spells, not bad for a paltry 300 coins.

Sandrah's *really* rubbing off on Imoen.

Being completely lost I stumble back to the first area.

Oh, Raiken! I can't believe I missed you coming in here.

Pah, we can handle a bunch of common bandi-

Oh sh-

Take this! :argh:

And THIS!

Oh God there's MORE? :gonk:

(This was quite a hard fight, the fact that I suck at this game really shone through. All these screenshots were of failed runs)

What a battle.

Shortly afterwards I realized that I wasn't even supposed to be here today. I needed to go back to the treehouse we JUST visited, thanks Beador...

Compared to the fight we just had this one wasn't even worth mentioning.

We do let the poor sod go because why not?

Maretha is saved, all is right in nature!

A nice quest, if a bit convoluted.

Farewell, Khalid and Jaheira! :wave: It was nice having you back for a bit but we have to make way for a certain charmer. And Eldoth as well!

Vichan fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know Sandrah can't just not know something, but I am pretty sure nobody knows Irenicus' backstory. Anyone from his past does not know him by the name Irenicus. Theoretically she could suss out the entire plot of BG1 by snooping on Elminster's affairs, but that is flat out bullshit. :argh: