Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Caros posted:

So I'm only about halfway through the thread and the same mind poison may have infected others, but I present you modern art. Sandrah Devouring Her Prey:

No I'm not putting in more effort. This is the exact effort this mod deserves.

Edit: Wait, no, the piece was imperfect. I've corrected those horrible mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

:golfclap:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:sickos:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This is simultaneously amazing and horrifying, and I feel awful about knowing exactly what it means. In other words, it is perfect.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

:perfect:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Surprising to see some of the lukewarm responses to SoD in this LP, it worked on pretty much every level for me and thought it was really underrated. As a bridge between the two games its a bit iffy and I personally wouldn't have chosen to bodge an "interquel" in there, but hey ho. The Baldurs Gate games have a lot of nostalgia for me and when I saw how Beamdog had managed to implement hundreds of peasants on the streets of the city I was genuinely :chanpop:

The soundtrack for the expansion is absolutely baller too.

Going into BGII I am gobsmacked by how badly Sandrah was written wrt cowardly fleeing the epilogue of SoD and then the "oh yea Khalid is in pieces upstairs, but thought it was best to leave him smeared all over the place". The best thing about this LP is discovering with every update that actually, yes, things can be worse. Loving Imoen the practically schizophrenic at this point, suffering PTSD from Irenicus and whipping back to BESTA constantly.

Bhallspeed Vichan, you will need it for the coming episodes. I can't wait to see how Sandrah deals with Anomen and how quickly she consumes Keldorn.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Surprising to see some of the lukewarm responses to SoD in this LP, it worked on pretty much every level for me and thought it was really underrated. As a bridge between the two games its a bit iffy and I personally wouldn't have chosen to bodge an "interquel" in there, but hey ho. The Baldurs Gate games have a lot of nostalgia for me and when I saw how Beamdog had managed to implement hundreds of peasants on the streets of the city I was genuinely :chanpop:

The soundtrack for the expansion is absolutely baller too.

Going into BGII I am gobsmacked by how badly Sandrah was written wrt cowardly fleeing the epilogue of SoD and then the "oh yea Khalid is in pieces upstairs, but thought it was best to leave him smeared all over the place". The best thing about this LP is discovering with every update that actually, yes, things can be worse. Loving Imoen the practically schizophrenic at this point, suffering PTSD from Irenicus and whipping back to BESTA constantly.

Bhallspeed Vichan, you will need it for the coming episodes. I can't wait to see how Sandrah deals with Anomen and how quickly she consumes Keldorn.

Most of the writing and quest design decisions feel mediocre at best, and the ones involving existing characters stand out even more. Environments/music is good, but there is more than that in a game. Trying to bridge the two games certainly did not do them any favors, it's an awkward thing to try.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

Going into BGII I am gobsmacked by how badly Sandrah was written wrt cowardly fleeing the epilogue of SoD and then the "oh yea Khalid is in pieces upstairs, but thought it was best to leave him smeared all over the place". The best thing about this LP is discovering with every update that actually, yes, things can be worse..

At this point I’m just assuming she’ll “help” Jaheira come to terms with her grief by loving her when she’s at her most vulnerable.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I liked SoD well enough, I guess, but it suffered from the ending and the fact that the villain is one of my least favorite villain types.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Vichan posted:

This part devastated me when I first played it, in no small part because Jaheira's so distressed.

Thankfully Jaheira makes things alright. I wonder if 'you have loved him too' refers to him being one of her victims, it's a pity we didn't get to fully explore their content in BG1. Normally such a notion might come across as ghoulish but we saw what Sandrah did to Minsc.

This should probably say Sandrah.

Reading Chloe hitting on Imoen made me wonder something: Are there any mod NPCs that don't get along with Imoen?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nostalgamus posted:

Reading Chloe hitting on Imoen made me wonder something: Are there any mod NPCs that don't get along with Imoen?

Darian (the other mod NPC I made) doesn't, he thinks she's annoying.

In the written but probably never to be released Valerie BG2, Valerie and Imoen come within a hair's breadth of fighting each other.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Chapter LXXXIX - Not a single love slave to adore and pleasure that that magnificent body?

Stuck in a strange place with an Imoen-shaped hole in our party... :smith:

Sandrah seems more interested in Chloe than discussing what just happened.

We're reunited with Haiass! :3:

A passer-by helps us get our bearings somewhat.

We immediately get to work. :colbert:

I've played this so many times I've got the answer memorized by this point.

The first time these peasants attacked me scared the ever-living daylights out of me.

Welcome aboard, Aerie!

...Why.

As a kid I spent ages trying to figure out why Kalah's voice sounded familiar. Turns out he also voiced the Devil in Cow & Chicken.

I can't help but feel bad for the guy. :(

Quayle is a whole different person in BG2 personality-wise.

Looks like Kalah's story isn't over quite yet, courtesy of BG2: Unfinished Business. We'll get to that later, though.

Visiting the zoo gives Pelligram an upgrade.

Seeing these exotic creatures encaged must be hard for her. :smith:

:gonk:

Seems like there's more to Pelligram than we originally thought.

Chloe loves butting in on conversations. :allears:

Oh, another mod NPC. Welcome aboard!

Minsc'll be back later, not to worry.

She's relatively mundane compared to Sandrah and Chloe.

This guy's quite the character.

We should stop by occasionally once we get more elves in our party. I really wish I had more NPC mods installed.... :(

That area's pretty neatly integrated into the city map, I like it. We're also saving that for later, though. We're heading for the slums first!

We run into a wacky thief who offers to help us locate Imoen. This brings us to...

I always thought this guy looked like John de Lancie. Maybe it's the hair.

We regain control and leave Gaelan Bayle's house.

:eyepop:

Looks like Spellhold will have to wait a long, long time. Time to head for the nearby inn, the Copper Coronet.

Jaheira's romance is creepy enough as it is, I really don't need Sandrah making it even creepier.

Speaking of which...

All in all I really don't mind her romance to be honest, maybe that's says more about me than it says about the romance itself though.

Well, that was certainly random.

Sandrah has ideas on how to get to the Stormhorns.

They really don't know who they're dealing with, do they?

They did manage to wound Aerie though, luckily we have Sandrah to patch things up.

...I still have no idea where to actually go.

Might as well pick up another quest while we're at it.

Anyway, time to head inside.

It's nice to see them getting along.

Now that we're all warm and cozy it's time for some PIDs.

I'd point out that Sandrah's being a bit callous here but let's be honest, we've all dawdled before rescuing Imoen on more than one occasion.

I'd almost forgotten that I got Shar-Teel pregnant, whoops.

We also talk a bit about Pelligram's nature.

Amalas gets two good hits in but falls shortly afterwards.

:barf:

Sure, why not?

Dace is alright in my book, at least so far.

:eyepop:

We'll get to the De'Arnise Keep quest later, never mind that though.

This whole experience never fails to confound me.

Salvanas is a hoot.

He tries to hit on female members of your party if you use them to talk to him.

Sometimes mod NPCs have interactions with him as well. I wonder what'll happen if Sandrah talks to him?

Of course it fades to black after this. The Beast is back with a vengeance.

We'll also get to 'Hexxat' later.

Yes, let's.

They obviously know each other. We book a room so we can get some sleep.

:barf:

Whenever a conversation ends abruptly like this I always feel like I did something wrong.

What a creep.

Chloe's kind of a dick. She's acting like she wasn't there when Jaheira stumbled upon Khalid's corpse.

Anomen tries to talk his way into the group but he'll have to wait a while longer.

Aerie's such a buzzkill. :argh:

How monstrous, it's time to put a stop to this.

DIE! :black101:

Time to pay this beastmaster a visit.

Without his pet he's no match for us.

I always like to free the children before freeing Hendak.

One of the more satisfying moments in the game.

When we finally get to Lehtinan nothing happens. Did I do something wrong? Maybe I should've freed Hendak before freeing the children, better reload.

Ah, these people spawn in after freeing Hendak this time, looks like it was bu-

:gonk:

This happened in the span of five seconds. Sandrah straight up teleports behind Lehtinan and one-shot gibs him.

Looks like our work isn't done yet. Better leave that 'til next time however.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 7, 2021

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

WHY. What. Why. I'm so confused. Of all the portrait changes ( ugh Aerie ) this one has slain me.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Lulu, you're in the wrong LP, go back, run before the Beast gets your hands on you! (Although maybe the Beast of Nomura Belts may be enough to restrain the Beast...)

And it's probably because of Sandrah syndrome, but Chloe for a Mary Sue NPC is kind of refreshing in that she's quite a dick and other NPCs don't seem to like her. I can see why Chloe and Saerileth, for all their badness, don't reach the levels of Our Counselor.

And god, I'm having thoughts about how many times does Sandrah cast Cure Disease on herself or she'd be a walking STD machine :cry:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Ugh, the whole point of freeing Hendak is that he kills Lehtinan in single combat as payback. (Can Lehtinan ever win that fight? Or is he always doomed to a karmic death?) Its a satisfying payoff to the whole mini-quest, so of course Roxanne had to give Sandrah the glory.

And lol at those portrait changes, Lulu as Nalia is amazing.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

That was a ludicrous amount of :words: good grief.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think I feel the same way about Sandrah creeping on Aerie that people were feeling about Sandrah creeping on Minsc. :stonklol:

Also that portrait for her is awful, dear god.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I've heard nothing but poo poo about Chloe, and she certainly doesn't seem like a terribly well-written companion mod, but it's hilarious how Sandrah makes her look positively inoffensive by comparison. Her casually dropping the whole 'oh yeah, I'm a demi-god too' bit somehow just manages to sound quaint after weathering entire essays upon essays of Sandrah's bullshit.

edit: oh, and these portrait changes. and that chapter thing. the beast is back with a vengeance :barf:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I kind of like(?) Nalia's new portrait, it befits her persona, but that Aerie one is just...What? Why? Also, this is straight out of a Leisure Suit Larry fanfiction

quote:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Rappaport posted:

I kind of like(?) Nalia's new portrait, it befits her persona.

I don't know much about Baldur's Gate 2 characters, but I'm not sure "Goth girl from Final Fantasy who is no-nonsense and is the most levelheaded character in the game and wears a dress made of belts." really fits anyone in Baldur's Gate.

(The joke it's that it's Lulu from Final Fantasy X. There's actually an LP of it right now, weirdest LP crossover yet).

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chloe has 25 dexterity.

I was laughing at Aerie's portrait change because it turned her ocean themed but Nalia turning into Lulu just confused me. That one was jarring.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I was not expecting straight up naked tits in BG2, and I don't know why it seems so out of place after "Sandrah and Chloe demand...flesh!" But it does.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

yo what the gently caress is with all these portraits though

this is the only portrait swapping theme that is permissible.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

"Nothing is as it seems here, it would seem" :allears:

Goddamn that Aerie portrait is :pwn:

quote:

He's right, you know. :colbert:

Never liked the whole Gaelan Bayle bit, it's just railroading all the way through. And he's so incredibly annoying.

I'll have you know i never dawdle.It's actually part of why i like bg1 more, it doesn't make you feel like you're on a timer the same way 2 does. I mean you can obviously take all the time you want, but i always feel like... either my character would want to get to Spellhold asap, or they don't give a poo poo and they don't work in the setting to begin with. At that point it just feels like i wouldn't bother to stick around because Amn's garbage anyway. Just get on the road and leave.

quote:

Sure, why not?

There are so many reasons why not.

Ahahahahaha Nalia's portrait :suicide: Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

...and of course Sandrah ruins the slave quest, too. :guillotine:

I'd like a mod that replaces all the portraits with pixel art. But then, what would the actual paladin Keldorn look like...?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I don't know much about Baldur's Gate 2 characters, but I'm not sure "Goth girl from Final Fantasy who is no-nonsense and is the most levelheaded character in the game and wears a dress made of belts." really fits anyone in Baldur's Gate.

(The joke it's that it's Lulu from Final Fantasy X. There's actually an LP of it right now, weirdest LP crossover yet).

Aww, I'm not familiar with Final Fantasy, so the joke is lost on me. Someone clad in furs screaming about how "I'm helping the poors!" just seems to fit Nalia's voice pack.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Rappaport posted:

Aww, I'm not familiar with Final Fantasy, so the joke is lost on me. Someone clad in furs screaming about how "I'm helping the poors!" just seems to fit Nalia's voice pack.

It's just that... here's the full design that the new portrait decided to hide, courtesy of The Dark Id's FFX LP:

Yes, the lower part is all belts. No, no one remarks on it and she has no trouble walking. Yes, Nalia is now wearing that in my head, thanks portrait mod.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

vilkacis posted:

Goddamn that Aerie portrait is :pwn:

Are you implying that the decision to randomly slap a goddamn starfish on the side of her head for no reason may not have been well thought out?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jaheira: *traumatized*
Chloe: lol i'm twelve

Also I think there's about a 50/50 on if Sandrah just loving hates Anomen or not. A lot of romance mods for women were... reactionary. People didn't like Anomen, they made their own romance. And the results ended up just unable to keep their contempt for the guy dripping off every word around him. I remember I tried Kelsey back in the day and I can't remember a thing about him other than that the conflict with Anomen just screamed "I am writing a character who I hate, so I am writing him like a cartoon."

(for the record, after dragging the guy around for a while, I stopped disliking Anomen. Once he gets some growth in, he's not so bad. I definitely remember more positive about him than any NPC romance mod I tried!)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 4, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Jaheira: *traumatized*
Chloe: lol i'm twelve

Also I think there's about a 50/50 on if Sandrah just loving hates Anomen or not. A lot of romance mods for women were... reactionary. People didn't like Anomen, they made their own romance. And the results ended up just unable to keep their contempt for the guy dripping off every word around him. I remember I tried Kelsey back in the day and I can't remember a thing about him other than that the conflict with Anomen just screamed "I am writing a character who I hate, so I am writing him like a cartoon."

Only if Sandrah gets to him before Chloe kills him.

IIRC, Chloe just straight up cutscene murders Anomen, because in Chloe-land there are only two kinds of people: lesbians (some may be in denial about being lesbians) and homicidal homophobes.

Reminder that Chloe was written by a man.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Only if Sandrah gets to him before Chloe kills him.

IIRC, Chloe just straight up cutscene murders Anomen, because in Chloe-land there are only two kinds of people: lesbians (some may be in denial about being lesbians) and homicidal homophobes.

Reminder that Chloe was written by a man.

sorry what

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I played with Chloe once, to see if it was as bad as they say, and IIRC if you have her and Anomen in the same party Anomen will soon go on a Westboro Baptist Church grade GAYS ARE SINNERS WHO BURN IN HELL ALL WOMEN MUST STAY IN THE KITCHEN AND OBEY THEIR HUSBAND so Chloe triggers a cutscene where the player has no control, walks over, and chunks him so he can't be resurrected.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

I played with Chloe once, to see if it was as bad as they say, and IIRC if you have her and Anomen in the same party Anomen will soon go on a Westboro Baptist Church grade GAYS ARE SINNERS WHO BURN IN HELL ALL WOMEN MUST STAY IN THE KITCHEN AND OBEY THEIR HUSBAND so Chloe triggers a cutscene where the player has no control, walks over, and chunks him so he can't be resurrected.

holy god. You know, I think my brain had paved over that little factoid in an attempt to bury it for good. It's starting to sound familiar.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
lmao okay i take back everything charitable i said about Chloe. let's run this poo poo into the ground

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cythereal posted:

Oh okay, Chloe is just as bad as Sandrah then, just in the opposite direction. Wondering if Sandrah will actually interact with that, whether to save Anomen and have him fall prey to the beast or just straight up help her kill him.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't even make sense! Anomen's pretty into you being a cool hero. His icebreaker is (probably) fibbing to try to impress you and being impressed by your own exploits even if you're humble about them. He's more of a battle couple kind of guy. He's even perfectly friendly with the lady members of the Order you can talk to.

The "get in the kitchen" stuff is projecting like a goddamn imax. "This is a thing I hate, I hate this guy, he must think this thing."

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Midnight Voyager posted:

It doesn't even make sense! Anomen's pretty into you being a cool hero. His icebreaker is (probably) fibbing to try to impress you and being impressed by your own exploits even if you're humble about them. He's more of a battle couple kind of guy. He's even perfectly friendly with the lady members of the Order you can talk to.

The "get in the kitchen" stuff is projecting like a goddamn imax. "This is a thing I hate, I hate this guy, he must think this thing."

Given the vibe Chloe is giving me and, as bad as it sounds, the fact she's a lesbian character made by a guy is giving me the feeling it's just a case of making a character a horrible thing just so no one ever tries to pair them together. You see a lot of this poo poo in fandoms.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

How fitting that Aerie got her portrait from that ultra-skeevy Neverwinter Nights ad.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

That wacko sex still of Sandrah's makes her sound like a sexual Dragon Ball Z villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

How fitting that Aerie got her portrait from that ultra-skeevy Neverwinter Nights ad.

what the gently caress

What is that "thong" even supposed to be? A crabshell?