Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

the shape and position of that one seashell had to be 100% intentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I, uh, wow. Nothing stands out as uniquely egregious, but there is so much poo poo in that one update that I can't even point to any one thing.

Instead, I will stand by that the Jaheira romance is really good by the low, low bar set by video game romances. It's just a long series of banters where you slowly establish that you trust and respect one another, then that you enjoy each other's company, and finally that you really matter to one another. There's no super-stilted flirting interactions, and she's not a broken shell of a person that only your genitals can fix. Just two adults organically growing closer, as much as a relationship entirely based on random banter trees allows.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, a LOT of mods for Baldur's Gate use NWN portraits for some reason. I don't think I ever saw that insane ad though, wtf? Where are you gonna find that girl in NWN? Why is this on the ad?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh yeah, a LOT of mods for Baldur's Gate use NWN portraits for some reason. I don't think I ever saw that insane ad though, wtf? Where are you gonna find that girl in NWN? Why is this on the ad?

I think NWN portraits are popular for BG and Icewind Dale because they don't require a lot of resizing to get the particular look. IIRC NWN needed 3-4 different portrait sizes for various screens and one of those sizes matched the px requirements pretty well. There were also a ton of portrait packs made from fantasy novel cover scans and the like and I'm guessing a lot of the weird-rear end portraits in BG came from those (and I can't wait to see the terrible portraits ahead).

It's been twenty years since I first played BG so I could be all wrong.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Might be the ?dryad or nymph? fae that is one of the 4 critters from waterdeep you have to round up.

going to go ahead and assume the intellect devourer does not a get a full page spread add

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I brought my Drake posted:

(and I can't wait to see the terrible portraits ahead).

jan jansen gonna have a brad pitt from fight club portrait calling it now

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ramc posted:

Might be the ?dryad or nymph? fae that is one of the 4 critters from waterdeep you have to round up.

going to go ahead and assume the intellect devourer does not a get a full page spread add

Goddamnit now I want to see an attempt at Sexy Intellect Devourer.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Goddamnit now I want to see an attempt at Sexy Intellect Devourer.

I mean, google is right there.

It's a surprisingly challenging one to find to be fair.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really want to see the thought process behind the person who looked at Nalia and thought Lulu of all things was a more appropriate avatar.

I shouldn't be surprised at any of this, but every update just keeps getting more and more bizarre.

The fact that Chloe looks mundane by comparison is a real achievment.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Instead, I will stand by that the Jaheira romance is really good by the low, low bar set by video game romances. It's just a long series of banters where you slowly establish that you trust and respect one another, then that you enjoy each other's company, and finally that you really matter to one another. There's no super-stilted flirting interactions, and she's not a broken shell of a person that only your genitals can fix. Just two adults organically growing closer, as much as a relationship entirely based on random banter trees allows.

I didn't find it that bad either, or at least it seemed much better compared to the unbearably annoying Aerie romance of "never shutting the gently caress up and yelling at any woman that you interact with".

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

Also I think there's about a 50/50 on if Sandrah just loving hates Anomen or not. A lot of romance mods for women were... reactionary. People didn't like Anomen, they made their own romance. And the results ended up just unable to keep their contempt for the guy dripping off every word around him. I remember I tried Kelsey back in the day and I can't remember a thing about him other than that the conflict with Anomen just screamed "I am writing a character who I hate, so I am writing him like a cartoon."

Wow, that's a bummer. I sort of like Kelsey despite him being a self-insert, but I never tried having him in a group with Anomen. But I guess in the context of this LP, that's still not outrageously bad :v:

Ramc posted:

jan jansen gonna have a brad pitt from fight club portrait calling it now

Danny DeVito smoking a cigar.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, Bioware were kind of the ones to set that bar, no?

I do agree, though - if it were somehow possible to pry those dialogues and the narrative arc loose from the context of Jaheira's existing relationships (both to the PC as, like, essentially a replacement for their murdered parent-figure and to her long-beloved husband whose mutilated corpse you discovered together not really that long ago) - just writing that story in a similar way with a different person who just similarly has their poo poo together, I don't think it would be judged that badly at all. Certainly not compared to Aerie and Viconia (who, for entirely understandable reasons, do not remotely have their poo poo together).

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Midnight Voyager posted:

Also I think there's about a 50/50 on if Sandrah just loving hates Anomen or not. A lot of romance mods for women were... reactionary. People didn't like Anomen, they made their own romance. And the results ended up just unable to keep their contempt for the guy dripping off every word around him. I remember I tried Kelsey back in the day and I can't remember a thing about him other than that the conflict with Anomen just screamed "I am writing a character who I hate, so I am writing him like a cartoon."

(for the record, after dragging the guy around for a while, I stopped disliking Anomen. Once he gets some growth in, he's not so bad. I definitely remember more positive about him than any NPC romance mod I tried!)

Yeah, there was a lot of disappointment that Anomen was literally it as far as romance options for female PCs. (Of course, it has been pointed out that all the vanilla love interests for male PCs are some variety of elvish priestess, so there's that) And Kelsey's not bad - he's actually one of the better romances I've played for BGII, mainly because he's not some brooding Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer type who needs fixing, as was the rage in the early 2000s. But all that goes out the window if you have him and Anomen in the same party, because it turns into the catty bitchfest this side of Mean Girls.

Interestingly enough, it appears that Valygar was intended to be a love interest for a female PC, as romance dialogue for him has been found buried in the depths of the code. There was an attempt to mod that romance back into the game, but never got any traction. One wonders why...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Yeah, there was a lot of disappointment that Anomen was literally it as far as romance options for female PCs. (Of course, it has been pointed out that all the vanilla love interests for male PCs are some variety of elvish priestess, so there's that) And Kelsey's not bad - he's actually one of the better romances I've played for BGII, mainly because he's not some brooding Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer type who needs fixing, as was the rage in the early 2000s. But all that goes out the window if you have him and Anomen in the same party, because it turns into the catty bitchfest this side of Mean Girls.

Interestingly enough, it appears that Valygar was intended to be a love interest for a female PC, as romance dialogue for him has been found buried in the depths of the code. There was an attempt to mod that romance back into the game, but never got any traction. One wonders why...

Haer'dalis was also planned to be a love interest for a female PC! And was even briefly suggested as a bisexual love interest, as he was conceived up as being 'up for anything.' The romances for him and Valygar were scrapped early due to time pressures, as Bioware at the time believed that the Baldur's Gate series was a niche product for a small but loyal fanbase of [overwhelmingly male] grogs. Women, and men playing female characters, were expected to be an extremely negligible proportion of the game's audience and fanbase, so content intended for them was a very low priority.

Bioware was very, very surprised when women turned out to be a significant and loudly enthusiastic fanbase for them.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At this point I have to ask, is there any good, well written BG2 NPC mods that aren't awkward broody types? Cythereal's work on BG1 is quite good, but I think this LP is giving me a very biased view of what NPC mods are produced for this game.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mans posted:

At this point I have to ask, is there any good, well written BG2 NPC mods that aren't awkward broody types? Cythereal's work on BG1 is quite good, but I think this LP is giving me a very biased view of what NPC mods are produced for this game.

Despite the Anomen thing, which I haven't personally ever seen, I would say Kelsey is a good 'cheerful' NPC mod. I think he also has a romance with Imoen if Charname isn't available, and I haven't taken that to the end so I don't know if there's an Aerie-esque bag of holding baby or other stupidity in that branch of the story. And he's a sorcerer which is nice in BG2. I also like the Coran mod that makes him recruitable in BG2, he's a fairly powerful character and the mod, while light on writing, does a decent enough job showing him as a light-hearted chaotic good dude (some of Charname's responses to him are a bit dumb, but that goes for the actual EE characters too!). I've also tried the mind flayer companion NPC mod, but that one's... Weird mechanically, and I'm not sure the character is worth a companion slot. And I guess you could call him (it?) broody.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mans posted:

I like Sarah, she's a friendly, cheerful ranger and in my opinion the best-written f/f romance option out there in the mod community if that's your thing.

Fade is maybe a bit *too* special, and I don't know if her ToB component was ever finished, but I like her.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Haer'dalis was also planned to be a love interest for a female PC! And was even briefly suggested as a bisexual love interest, as he was conceived up as being 'up for anything.' The romances for him and Valygar were scrapped early due to time pressures, as Bioware at the time believed that the Baldur's Gate series was a niche product for a small but loyal fanbase of [overwhelmingly male] grogs. Women, and men playing female characters, were expected to be an extremely negligible proportion of the game's audience and fanbase, so content intended for them was a very low priority.

Bioware was very, very surprised when women turned out to be a significant and loudly enthusiastic fanbase for them.

This is all extremely true - I was mostly throwing shade on the BG modding community that utterly failed to embrace poor Valygar.

(Did Haer'dalis ever get any mod content? His quasi-relationship with Aerie is very sweet)

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013
There's a Haer'Dalis romance, which I've never tried as it's Female Charname only for whatever reason. Unfinished Buisness restores an odd little quest for him where he's put on trial for murder, but it's less interesting than that sounds. He still feels pretty underused in the modding community, I'd say.

There's a fair few decent mod NPCs - Xan is heavy on melodrama but enjoyably gloomy if not romanced, Adrian is an excellent evil companion (charming sorcerer with a zhent past), Isra's a surprisingly well written paladin of Sune with loads of connections to Amn high society (I think shares an author with Adrian.)

Ninde's another fun evil NPC, a cross between Safana and Edwin as a necromancer noble who joins up with you if you side with the Shadow Thieves. Evandra's a Dragonlance exile, a red mage who appears in the Planar Sphere and has a lot of interesting commentary. Dace, who Vichan's just recruited, is entertaining, with an amusingly ott southern belle accent.

Nathaniel is a male-romanceable kensai who feels straight out of a Mercedes Lackey novel, so ymmv, but the author's other NPC Faren is a fun, charming rogue who fits into most parties, is very easygoing & has a lot of Trademeet specific content. Arath's a similar archetype but a druid with high society connections and a jaded attitude. Most of the above have crossmod interactions with each other - or with the Crossmod Banter Pack installed.

Most of the Baldur's Gate 1 carry-over NPC mods (Xan, Ajantis, Coran etc) are solid and fit into BG2 nicely, though Kivan's author also wrote his BG1NPC content so I'm less of a fan.

Caros
May 14, 2008

inscrutable horse posted:

How fitting that Aerie got her portrait from that ultra-skeevy Neverwinter Nights ad.

Pretty sure that is also the nymph portrait from the base campaign.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

There's at least one Valygar romance mod out there, and I feel like I heard of another but it was a part of another mod. I didn't like the one I found, but really, his whole "I can't have kids because I want to end my line, woe is me" thing is hard for people to write without just making it... not good. Also there's a scene in the underdark that 100% killed it for me because uhhhh it gets weird. I mentioned earlier in the thread that the Underdark makes romance mods get weird, and that is literally the thing that triggered me saying it.

I really wanted to try the Valygar one out, but that trawl I did in the tra files to see how it was turned me off it pretty hard. Also I kinda hate his voice. No offense to the voice actor, but he sounds aggressively normal in a way that just feels very weird. It doesn't quite hit "brooding" for me, it sticks at "well, this is my life now." Also he has like NO DIALOG in the main game because of how much stuff was cut, I can't quite blame people for not being into the blank slate who they may have heard say two words outside of his sidequest. Hopefully the Valygar Friendship is better than the romance looked! I haven't got there yet.

I also wanted to try the Haer'Dalis one, but he's written basically explicitly as a fuckbuddy who doesn't do any of the normal romance stuff and who can even be romanced with someone else with him as the "other guy", and I'm not quite into that.

Nobody's really done those two characters well in the romance mod arena, imo.

Also oh man, Kivan. There's a BG1NPC talk with him where you, uh, dance to the sound of leaves or something? It's not a romance talk, he's just like yo, hear that? Let's dance with leaves. Whoever did that mod was 10000% into Legolas and Tolkien elves.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Caros posted:

Pretty sure that is also the nymph portrait from the base campaign.

It is, except the nymph is recolored for the game - probably to (poorly) tone down the excessive cheesecake. Those ads, however, were absolutely everywhere in gaming/fandom magazines back then, so they got branded into my mind. Even then, teenage, hormone-addled me found them over the top.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

inscrutable horse posted:

It is, except the nymph is recolored for the game - probably to (poorly) tone down the excessive cheesecake. Those ads, however, were absolutely everywhere in gaming/fandom magazines back then, so they got branded into my mind. Even then, teenage, hormone-addled me found them over the top.

They also removed portraits for other reasons.

Cheesetriangles over at the Infinity thread reminded me of a neat trick to ditch party members without breaking romances/them leaving forever. This did mean that I had to reload and replay a substantial bit of next chapter's content. It'll probably be up later today or tomorrow.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter XC - One more word of insult to Mystra and the damage you receive will be more than YOUR skills will be able to heal, HELMIT!

We're about to deal another blow to slavery in Athkatla. Lots of banters in the meantime, though.

Oh dear, it seems like there's a story here. I can't believe Sandrah actually has a moment of weakness.

We talk some more about Pelligram.

What is it with Roxanne-kid and adding annoying tics to characters?

Poor Gorion and Khalid, they deserved better. :smith:

I like Dace. :)

What a weird way to end a conversation. This is not how humans talk.

These guys are a reference to Dungeon Crawl Inc., a Baldur's Gate inspired webcomic that ended abruptly in 2009. I'd link to the website but it seems to be defunct. :(

Vichan is quite the fence-sitter.

Chloe tells us a bit about the Yr'kai.

Minsc will be rejoining us as we take down the slavers.

I'm pretty sure Dace leaves permanently if you dismiss her. I decided to reload and leave her on the second floor of Gaelan Bayle's out, leaving before she can initiate the dismissal dialogue. We're not done with her quite yet.

We're treated to one more banter before dropping her off.

We might have to filch that dagger when we pick her up again. 'Til next we meet, Dace! :wave:

Anyway, time to head for the sewers!

Sandrah seems to have inherited Jen'lig's environmental banters.

:suicide:

This is just draining.

Chloe's banters with other people are masterpieces by comparison.

We're not covering the sewers as it's all vanilla content, we do pick up the talking sword Lilarcor and give it to Minsc.

...I've made a huge mistake.

Die, slaver! :black101:

Seems like we're not quite done though, more on that later.

Aerie's romance starts. 15 year old me loved the poo poo out of it and I've got to admit I still kind of do.

So far Chloe hasn't been that bad, to be honest.

We free the children and give them some money.

...Did I mention that Sandrah does fire damage to trolls? As if she wasn't overpowered enough.

:3:

What an idiot, it's not like we walked through the front door.

If you don't like this banter I've got bad news for you, this basically sums up a significant portion of Aerie's romance.

Outside again. Nothing like an evening walk after slaughtering slavers.

Sandrah reveals why she broke down earlier. I won't fault anyone for not getting through that enormous wall of text but it's probably important.

Methinks whoever made Chloe has a bone to pick with Aerie.

Doing good is its own reward. :smuggo:

Putting Minsc by the wayside we invite Anomen to join us as we make our way through the slums looking for content.

This guild war sure seems messy.

We run into Grudin, too late to save him.

Ganelon has a unique sprite that I can't place. They teleport away before I could figure out where it's from.

They don't even attack us, we can just kill them with impunity.

Don't mention it. Stick with the tourist traps next time.

This never gets old. :allears:

This guy actually thinks he has a shot, cute.

Something tells me Anomen is safe from the claws of the Beast.

Anyway, now might be a good time to go back to the Copper Coronet to get some rest.

BG2's dreams still give me chills.

Looks like we're not done with these guys quite yet, to the Docks!

Later, Sandrah. We're in the middle of wacky shenanigans here!

Normally I like to pick non-violent options but killing this guy is too good an opportunity to pass up.

Huh, this banter is voiced but I can't say I've ever seen it before. Interesting.

I'm in the middle of something here, maybe later.

Walking past the temple of Oghma leads to this conversation. A subtle hint as to where she'll go if she ever leaves the party.

:3:

Enough silliness, back to business!

Quite the epic confrontation.

You might think this starts a fight, but nope. They teleport away.

Looks like it's time to sail the seas, we fade to black and...

...This isn't a ship.

Flimflammed again! :argh:

Guess we'd better explore this place.

This guy's of no use.

Aside from some minor loot and fights with mummies there's not a lot to talk about here. On to the next area.

A fight with a lich AND a beholder!? Sign me up! :black101:

They turn out to be pretty decent. The tea's delicious as well, I wonder what's in it?

:barf:

Oh, that's right. We went here for a reason.

A friendly lich is a rare sight, killing him just seems like a waste.

Looks like Anomen isn't as confident as he'd have us believe.

Big mistake, buddy.

The beholder's wares aren't anything special, to be honest. I don't like cheese either. Yuck.

That's it for this area.

The next one isn't noteworthy, the perspective's all hosed though.

The final boss of this area is a cute little bunny-rabbit. We mob it and bash their brains in.

Hey, quit hogging the glory! :argh:

Looks like the rabbit got away, drat.

At least we can finally leave this place.

We're still not done? To the Copper Coronet, then.

Sandrah's attempt to make the Jaheira romance less icky falls flat.

And that's the end of that, hopefully someone other than myself got a kick out of seeing these guys. Not getting my hopes up though.

Next time we'll leave the slums and check out some of the other districts Athkatla's got to offer.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 7, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I guess the good thing of being a reviled character is that you're safe from the claws of the beast infatuations of a Mary Sue. Now we know what to use if we ever need a Sandrah repellent.

And that backstory is just... no words. I just... can't.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, I probably wouldn't have cared for that quest normally, but it was a nice break from the rest of the update.

I was never the biggest fan of the BG2 dreams; David Warner's voice acting certainly manages to sell them, but BG1 had all-prose ones narrated by Sarevok that I thought landed a whole lot better than having in-engine motion. Plus why is Khalid among the crew of the lost, but Dynaheir is not?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vichan posted:

And that's the end of that, hopefully someone other than myself got a kick out of seeing these guys. Not getting my hopes up though.

Are you kidding, this was fantastic :allears:

We went on an epic quest to visit a tea-obsessed lich and his cartoon sidekick Blinky the Beholder, then fought an evil rabbit and managed to heroically rescue a pair of pants.

Honestly in a pure vanilla run of the game it would have been bad, it's so jarringly out of place, but there's so much random wacky poo poo going on here (mostly unintentionally) that instead it's a genuine bright spot.

Especially when contrasted with Sandrah. Who develops a trauma out of the clear blue sky so it can be resolved more or less immediately and which turns out to not be remotely traumatic in any way and is just her showing off yet more Sue powers.

I'll take the cartoons, thanks.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
making notes as I go:

- mystra sue is responsible for boo and our wolf too, ugh
- roxanne isn't confident enough in her writing non-sandrah voices to just let them talk, she has to weigh them down with odd turns of speech and verbal tics so you know who's talking
- stay away from aerie fuuuuck off sandrah, stop playing pity olympics
- dace is cool, I'd read dace and vichan's buddy comedy
- what happened to jen'ling anyway? I miss her :(
- gently caress off sandrah, go back to loredumping, chloe
- I like when chloe is conversing with anyone but sandrah. I do not like chloe when she is commenting on how hot the ladies are or conversing with sandrah.
- fuuuuck offffff roxanne gently caress offfffffffffffffffffffffffff
- I don't quite like how BG2 weaves WACKY BULLSHIT and TRAUMA
- gently caress off sandrah, stop talking to jaheira

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For the record, the first mod NPC I ever made is for BG2, and he hangs out in this area around the Copper Coronet. He is also a mod I do not like in retrospect, but I was in high school when writing most of it.

Mercifully, Sandrah for God only knows what reason does not have any interaction with him.

Hooray, Darian escapes the maw of the Beast.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

And that backstory is just... no words. I just... can't.

I figured I'd just let it sit there and let you guys run amok with it.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Plus why is Khalid among the crew of the lost, but Dynaheir is not?

Dynaheir gets shafted in BG2 in general IMO.

Black Robe posted:

Are you kidding, this was fantastic :allears:

Glad to hear it. I'm curious if anyone else remembers the webcomic, I remember liking it way back when. Wasn't exactly a masterpiece or anything but definitely gave me quite a few chuckles.

Leraika posted:

making notes as I go:

- what happened to jen'ling anyway? I miss her :(

Jen'lig left shortly after starting SoD.

Cythereal posted:

For the record, the first mod NPC I ever made is for BG2, and he hangs out in this area around the Copper Coronet. He is also a mod I do not like in retrospect, but I was in high school when writing most of it.

Mercifully, Sandrah for God only knows what reason does not have any interaction with him.

Hooray, Darian escapes the maw of the Beast.

My biggest regret so far is not installing enough NPC mods for BG2, I had to reinstall a couple of times before I managed to get the thing to run in the first place and I guess I decided to go easy on that particular flavour of BG mods. For the sake of this LP Darian is no big loss but Yasraena definitely is.

Not to worry, though. I did install a certain paladin of Tyr! ;)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I KNEW IT. I don't think I ever saw a romance mod for women in BG2 that didn't overtheatrically hate Anomen. I'm not sure that didn't lead me to giving him a chance out of sheer spite.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

The thing is, Amomen isn't *awful*. The biggest problem with him is that he can be kind of stuck up and abrasive (which isn't bad, in and of itself), but CHARNAME can't tell him to tone it down without breaking the romance. It basically puts the PC in the position of having to be the one to calmly and patiently sand down his rough edges, which again doesn't have to be bad. Except that he was the only option, and a lot of players of female characters took it personally.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The thing is, Amomen isn't *awful*. The biggest problem with him is that he can be kind of stuck up and abrasive (which isn't bad, in and of itself), but CHARNAME can't tell him to tone it down without breaking the romance. It basically puts the PC in the position of having to be the one to calmly and patiently sand down his rough edges, which again doesn't have to be bad. Except that he was the only option, and a lot of players of female characters took it personally.

Yeah, if you say "This is the only option", oof. Suddenly it's infuriating! I know, really, I hated the poo poo out of him at first too. But after that just really dire Anomen/Kelsey clash, that grumpy oppositional part of my brain went "maybe I can give him a chance."

I was sad when I heard Valygar and Haer'Dalis were cut because I was more into them in theory, but the mods for them just really don't do it for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I think another part of it is that the way Anomen's quest works was... controversial, in the modding community. Some people felt that there was no "right" answer and that the whole thing was the writers doing a gotcha.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved this sidequest :allears:

Vichan posted:

Dynaheir gets shafted in BG2 in general IMO.

Is the reason she gets shafted related to the same reason why modders changed her avatar?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Loved the marked difference between traumatized bg2 imoen and sandrah imoen.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Mans posted:

I loved this sidequest :allears:

Is the reason she gets shafted related to the same reason why modders changed her avatar?

I think it was more that in BGI, she and Minsc were a package deal, but he was the breakout character, and she wasn't, so much.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I think it was more that in BGI, she and Minsc were a package deal, but he was the breakout character, and she wasn't, so much.

Yep. This is officially the reason why Dynaheir was killed off, and also Khalid.

By far the most popular party in BG1 for players, Bioware learned, was Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, and Dynaheir. Bioware also learned that players generally hated the paired NPC idea, and loved Jaheira and Minsc but not Dynaheir and Khalid. Bioware accommodated in BG2.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
And if you've never played one of these games, I should point out that mages in the single digit levels are the most fragile things on the planet. Also Khalid had a big morale malus so he would freak out in fear a lot. So Khalid's running around like a headless chicken while Dynaheir gets just chunked. <this is an exact situation I DEFINITELY had back in the day, maybe more than once.

You can mitigate both problems, but that seems like it was most people's first impression of them.

Oh, also, it turns into awful party jenga when there's people tied to each other, it's a pain in the rear end. You wanna let one guy on for a while to do his quest? well, better find another guy too, because Minsc is leaving with Dynaheir! They also have BG2 do this thing where you don't NECESSARILY have to have people along to do at least one of their quests. Like Nalia, she goes on ahead, you can follow on and help her.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 7, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Vichan posted:

Not to worry, though. I did install a certain paladin of Tyr! ;)

So yeah, about this...

I want to get the most out of her content as best as I can but I'm worried about what Sandrah'll do when they're in a party together, keep in mind that Saerileth is 15. I had a romance talk initiate seconds after inviting Saerileth into the party and I'm worried that pursuing it any further will be breaking all kinds of forum rules. That first talk was icky enough as it is. :barf:

What do you guys think, would it be worth keeping her around long term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This is the Sandrah showcase. If someone wants to spotlight that particular trainwreck, they can do their own LP. Maybe show off whatever cross content she has with Sandrah outside the romance, but I am comfortable missing out on anything that involves the PC and his predator girlfriend the main character and her gormless sidekick loving a teenager.