Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

You know, Sandrah is giving me the vibes of a character in a completly different piece of media. The whole non-believing cleric, people either loving her or hating her to the point it warps their personality, her sleeping around with everything she can in a predatory manner, her having skills completly unrelated to her actual role (the whole shitton of extra abilities she gets).

Of course, that character is explicitly considered to be 100% evil and hosed up in the head to the point she's a literal cancer of humanity, which says a lot of Sandrah reminding me of her :v:

Assuming you mean who I'm thinking of, don't give Roxanne ideas, or do you really want to see Sandrah feast on all of Faerun at once CCC-style ? And even that person is showing signs of progress going by events, which is more than can be said for the Beast.

Oh hell if BG3 allows modding we're definitely getting another helping of Sandrah aren't we

Edit: Welp not the best page snipe to start on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FrenchBen posted:

Assuming you mean who I'm thinking of, don't give Roxanne ideas, or do you really want to see Sandrah feast on all of Faerun at once CCC-style ? And even that person is showing signs of progress going by events, which is more than can be said for the Beast.

Oh hell if BG3 allows modding we're definitely getting another helping of Sandrah aren't we

Edit: Welp not the best page snipe to start on

Honestly I only thought of her because of how we have collectively decided Sandrah is the Beast and it's a funny coincidence.

And who needs BG3 when we have both sequels to Sandrah Saga already available to us?

(Seriosuly Vichan, please don't suffer more than you want to, even if we are all morbidly curious).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Who are y'all talking about? The only non-believing priest that comes to mind for me is Fall-From-Grace from Planescape: Torment, and she is pretty much the exact opposite of Sandrah, in spite of being a literal succubus.

And I cannot believe how boring this whole side story is, and I say this as a genuine fan of both terrible writing and stories centering on monstrous humanoids. Why does the magic destiny queen have to be a hot human babe? Why do none of the characters involved have any personality beyond thinking Sandrah is amazing? Why does everyone default to calling the god Arvoreen when he has a well-known orc aspect with which they'd obviously be more familiar?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Who are y'all talking about? The only non-believing priest that comes to mind for me is Fall-From-Grace from Planescape: Torment, and she is pretty much the exact opposite of Sandrah, in spite of being a literal succubus.

And I cannot believe how boring this whole side story is, and I say this as a genuine fan of both terrible writing and stories centering on monstrous humanoids. Why does the magic destiny queen have to be a hot human babe? Why do none of the characters involved have any personality beyond thinking Sandrah is amazing? Why does everyone default to calling the god Arvoreen when he has a well-known orc aspect with which they'd obviously be more familiar?

(they're talking about a character from the fate/stay night series I believe, not dnd - Sesshouin Kiara)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Planescape has a whole group of non-believing 'priests' known as the Athar, who gain their 'divine' powers by stealing them from what they believe are not gods but beings unworthy of their power.

Sandrah, uh, ain't an Athar.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Leraika posted:

(they're talking about a character from the fate/stay night series I believe, not dnd - Sesshouin Kiara)

Yeah, her. Sorry for the derail, it's just the comparison is surprisingly accurate, besides the whole "Kiara is 100% treated as a villain while Sandrah is considered 100% good by the plot".

(The faith aspect comes from Kiara being a Buddhist nun who ultimately becomes a nega-Buddha because she can't see other people as human, only as insects and toys to use, going against the main teachings of Buddhisms. Just like how Sandrah rejects the gods and the afterlife despite them being very real and being a loving cleric of her own grandmother and happily accepting all the free spells they give her.)

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013
I think the image of Boo's hamster portrait saying Mystra! as the goddess fricking teleports in from on high might have killed me.

Romantic Encounters in both games is one of those multi-author mods where you get some nice quests & some neat characterisations/heart to hearts with established figures and then some really yikes erotica and the whiplash is a lot. Tbh I think the BG1 one has a higher ratio of meaningful addition to yikes.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I definitely skipped most of the Romantic Encounters stuff unless the text mentions something that sounds interesting. They just seem kinda dull when they aren't horrible.

Goddamnit, of course Boolerion wasn't a one-off joke. Of course Minsc is in a romance and that still makes me cringe.

I do think it's too bad we don't have Mazzy for this. Pretty sure Arvoreen's her god? That is, assuming Sandrah would let her talk when it's Someone Else's Plot Now.

I feel like if they finished the Valygar romance, it might have had a mood kinda like Aerie's where at some point you just want to scream "TALK ABOUT A DIFFERENT THING THAN YOUR ONE PROBLEM!" Valygar's is about mages being evil and I can't romance because I want to END MY LINE, Aerie is All Wings All The Time.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

quote:

Let's Play Sandrah Saga: He implanted his godly semen into your father

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I do really wish Roxanne would quit going on about semen and inseminating and rape and aaaaaaaaaaagh

can we have another plot point

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sandrah is the worst person to be trying to explain theology and the history of gods to people

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It is baffled! Baffled!

:allears: It's another one of those lines i can still hear perfectly after 10+ years.

Romantic Encounters:

Chandra wasn't too bad though, i kind of like the line reading bits.

Goddammit that is not a hamster, space or otherwise. loving hell i hate this mod :suicide:

I'd like to see Valygar (and his quest) since he probably gets less love in general. Would probably be good to take Viconia along for when you get to the Underdark though, she has some comments there even in vanilla iirc.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite quotes:

What do orcs know about manners, hahaha…

He implanted his semen into your father

No one could have pressed it better.

And not a quote, but I just love this Sandrah.txt:

“Arvoreen is a just God who doesn’t look at races, but only if individuals are evil or not.

As such he obviously couldn’t be an halfling, he’s a human of course”

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Chapter XCVI - Words of utmost delight from the lips of a girl who can only be a dream, too wonderful to be real- both the words and the girl.

Back in Athkatla with two empty party slots to fill, you can guess what we're about to do.

Viconia is first on our list. You can never have enough clerics after all.

While browsing my bags of holding for suitable armor I discovered that Chloe can wear Jarlaxle's plate. Curious.

Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.

For our sixth member we have to go into the sewers so we can get to Mekrath's lab.

Sandrah has some things to say about the cult of the unseeing eye, we don't have time to deal with that right now.

Why is Aerie salivating? :thunk:

Sounds easy enough.

Yeah, thought so.

I know we could've just killed this guy but eh...

Oh boy, this is promising! :pervert:

And just like that our party composition is complete again!

Mekrath's awfully trusting, letting us ransack his lab.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Sandrah's positively giddy, I wonder why. :downs:

I can't wait to see what Roxanne's backstory for Viconia's capture is. :allears:

Let's take care of Haer'Dalis' quest before returning to the Stormhorns.

Lengthy explanation incoming.

You know the drill. Enemies come through the portal, we deal with them.

After doing this for about a minute or two bounty hunters kidnap the actors, including Haer'Dalis, forcing us to follow them through the portal.

Die, slavers! :black101:

Time to track down this thrall master.

Poor guys, I didn't have a choice. :negative:

My overpowered rear end begs to differ. :smuggo:

The orb is found on the master's body.

Throwing it into this fire frees the thralls, some of them even join in on the fighting!

I don't think these two will ever get along.

We help the thralls take care of the warden and filch his key.

Don't mention it.

We say goodbye to the actors save Haer'Dalis who leaves with us.

With our party complete we can make our way back to the Stormhorns!

...I don't know what I was expecting.

Nice try, Chloe, you'll never be able to out-Mary Sue Sandrah.

To the Stormhorns!

Ugh I am so done with this.

I have no idea why that portrait made me laugh but here we are.

Looks like we'd better investigate, this can't be right!

Hey, I remember bringing this guy to Sharkta Fai! :thunk:

Sandrah was right, who would've thought?

We talk to the orcs and send them back to camp, one by one.

drat, looks like we're out of luck. At least we took care of the skeletons.

West it is, then!

Not bad for a custom area.

Seems like we're back in the snow, we can't cross the frozen river here but the skeletons can. Not fair! :(

Spooky.

Oof, poor Haer'Dalis.

The village is a spooky place filled with ghosts.

Ugh, I really shouldn't let Sandrah heal anyone ever again.

This ambush wiped my party two times. :negative:

Good thing we've got a hamster on our side!

There's two liches waiting for us here, with vampire sprites for some reason. The other one has the exact same thing to say.

Vennegrat isn't about to stay and fight after what happened last time, coward! :argh:

*sigh*

Back to the graveyard it is.

What am I, chopped liver? :(

Sandrah sure has a knack of making you feel worthless.

I can't quite place this map, IWD2 maybe?

So Sharkta Fai is an undead factory? And how does Sandrah know who the leader is?

Anyway, I think it's about time we paid a visit to Minsc and Shauhana.

The mooseherd (seriously?) is nice enough to give us directions.

Oh, hey. It's that messenger kid that approached us the first time. What's he doing here?

Implausible but I'll run with it. I don't know if Minsc is cut out to be a father figure.

The orcs seem to have their work cut out for them.

Most people seem on board with Shauhana at least, I'm sure she'll win the few naysayers over.

Wait, I didn't kill Mekrath. Why does Haer'Dalis claim that Sandrah did? Ugh.

The fact that I misnamed Aerie in the image is a perfect illustration of how done with her poo poo I am. And to think I originally said I still liked her romance, yuck.

:allears:

Walking too close to the moose herders here triggers a stampede where the moose attack you one by one. Seriously.

It's nice to have a (mostly) peaceful area to walk around in once in a while. :)

We've finally arrive at the village proper.

Minsc seems to be doing just fine! :unsmith:

Speaking of the lodge...

Pretty sweet digs, right?

Anyway, we'd best check in with Shauhana.

...Szass Tam? Really? :gonk:

Next time we'll finish up at the Stormhorns so we can get back to our regular adventuring!

Vichan fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 7, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Aerie's romance is such a giant downer that I can understand why they had that idea for the cut quest where she wants to just be turned into a literal bird to get wings back.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vichan posted:

I can't quite place this map, IWD2 maybe?

I believe so. Orc camp near the end of the game as you approach the Severed Hand, IIRC.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Aerie's romance is such a giant downer that I can understand why they had that idea for the cut quest where she wants to just be turned into a literal bird to get wings back.

I think she's very appealing in a sappy, romantic way for people who really want to 'fix' her.

I think she's aged poorly on account of that whole kind of 'fixing broken people with your penis' kind of romance becoming distinctly unpopular and uncomfortable to most people.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

I believe so. Orc camp near the end of the game as you approach the Severed Hand, IIRC.

I think she's very appealing in a sappy, romantic way for people who really want to 'fix' her.

I think she's aged poorly on account of that whole kind of 'fixing broken people with your penis' kind of romance becoming distinctly unpopular and uncomfortable to most people.

Yeah, I don't mind some "My romantic partner helps encourage me to become my better self", but they reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally push home how she's just broken as a person because she's disabled and BIG DISLIKE from me. I know she was disabled in a traumatizing way, but I have bad vibes all around from it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Forgot to add this screenshot, it might be important later.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Here's the updated network - probably the last one before the Haer'Dalis lovefest truly begins, I'm guessing?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I can deal with Aerie being traumatised and depressed, but she's so emo and melodramatic about it that it comes across as fake and whiny. It's not genuine depression, it's the poetic tragic angsty story version written by authors who don't have it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vichan posted:

Forgot to add this screenshot, it might be important later.

It is in IWD2! I looked up and yeah, this is the Fields of the Dead from Icewind Dale 2.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

'Szass Tam has voluntarily chosen to be a half-lich'

He's... a regular-rear end lich though? is this some sort of engrish-y translation of demilich?

I mean he is an insanely powerful lich but a lich.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Vichan posted:

...Szass Tam? Really? :gonk:
As someone not well-versed in DnD, I assume that guy is kind of a big deal in Realms lore?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carpator Diei posted:

As someone not well-versed in DnD, I assume that guy is kind of a big deal in Realms lore?

You may have heard of this group called the Red Wizards of Thay, generally regarded as some of the most evil and powerful mages in the Realms. Szass Tam is one of their head honchos - arguably, the head honcho - and generally enjoys a thriving career as a supervillain.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah, I don't mind some "My romantic partner helps encourage me to become my better self", but they reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally push home how she's just broken as a person because she's disabled and BIG DISLIKE from me. I know she was disabled in a traumatizing way, but I have bad vibes all around from it.

Yeah. One of the few things I still like about the Darian mod that I made is that he and Aerie only potentially develop a romantic relationship in Throne of Bhaal, after they've both grown up and matured a fair bit.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'm just glad "Boolerian" hasn't featured on the Sandrah gently caress-web (yet).

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

inscrutable horse posted:

I'm just glad "Boolerian" hasn't featured on the Sandrah gently caress-web (yet).

Fully expecting the panther to assume human form because of its weird freaky portrait

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ramc posted:

Fully expecting the panther to assume human form because of its weird freaky portrait

Also implying Boolean won't ALSO have a human form.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ramc posted:

Same. The longer it's taking, the more nervous I am.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blows my mind just looking at the size of the relationship chart and BG2 barely even started, ToB has yet to begin and apparently there's a Sandrah expansion afterwards.

At the end, it'll be colossal.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter XCVII - My thighs await the fearless wanderers.

We're wrapping up the Stormhorns this chapter. Let's start by heading back to Sharkta Fai.

I'm sympathizing with Viconia more and more.

I can't wait to meet Szass Tam in person.

This is probably the last time we'll see this town, I hope it does well.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, I'd be even meaner to Aerie here but I'm afraid her leaving will break something somewhere down the line.

Good thing we ran into him when we did.

You'll notice the dialogue repeats here, but it continues:

Oh, it was Sandrah who healed Shauhana. How could I ever think otherwise? :doh:

We form a conga line and prepare to dive in.

Weeeeeeeee!

No way to go but forward.

These exits are supposed to spawn skeletons, I did run into skeletons from time to time but I never saw one actually spawn from these things. I'll take Roxanne's word for it.

*sigh*

Time to explore the rest of this area, I guess.

Lots of myconids.

Also Duergar that shapeshift to giants and back again. I don't get it either.

The duergar drop these boulders when defeated, we pick up a few of them.

Sandrah puts the guardian of Sharkta Fai out of his misery. And by 'misery' I mean 'appearing in this trainwreck of a mod.'

I figured I'd get a better screenshot of the Duergar in there.

I regret not making Vichan a woman so we could see Chloe's controversial side.

We can't leave yet, but with the wardstone we can enter the place we saw before. Might as well try that.

Quite a nice, challenging area as far as Sandrah Saga areas are concerned. Not too easy, not too hard.

Szass Tam greets us with a female voice saying 'Yes?'

The corners of this area get struck by lightning, spooky.

Those rocks we picked up come in handy here.

Once you do this in the three areas where the lightning comes from Szass Tam appears again.

Szass Tam flees but he's left some friends for us to play with.

We ran into Winski Perorate numerous times before, Narghal Rasz fought with us back in chapter 57. I don't blame you for not remembering him.

We kill both of them, of course.

Leaving that area brings us back to the graveyard.

Looks like our friends have been quite busy.

Ah, Viconia's romance is starting... :allears:

Definitely my favorite of the four.

:barf:

Haer'Dalis has a foot fetish?

Ah, looks like the battle is not won quite just yet. We make our way west.

Why can't we all just get along? :(

Sandrah rushes forward, her hammer striking the ice.

Vennigrat and most of his army fall into the ice and die, leaving us to mop up the remains.

Not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed this encounter.

Sandrah gets another summon...

As well as quest XP and another ability, God knows what.

On our way back we run into Mystra again.

And just like that she's gone again. I can't say I like doing a god's bidding.

:suicide:

Oh God so many words, what can I even say about this? Those more familiar with Forgotten Realms lore will probably point out how batshit insane this all is.

And with that the story of Shauhana and Minsc comes to an end, at least for the foreseeable future. As for ourselves, we'll be heading back to Athkatla so we can finally complete one of BG2's big sidequests. Now is as good a place as any to end this for now.

As I'm typing this the 2.6 update for BG2 just rolled out, for caution's sake I've subscribed to the 2.5 beta branch and everything seems to be in order.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 7, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I am a newbie on Forgotten Realms lore but literally one Google search shows there is no "Dark Weave", at most a Shadow Weave which was created by Shar and it's basically the Weave but better for evil magic. Meaning we should add to Roxxanne's list of crimes "applying Star Wars logic to magic" :cripes:

Also... do you lose Minsc if you do Shautana's quest? Or can he rejoin you? Cause adding a quest that takes away a fan-favourite also seems like a lovely thing to do.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Your mindless drivel is boring me: Let's Play Sandrah Saga

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vichan posted:

We ran into Winski Perorate numerous times before, Narghal Rasz fought with us back in chapter 57. I don't blame you for not remembering him.

...this is Grima Wormtongue, right? I'm not hallucinating?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also... do you lose Minsc if you do Shautana's quest? Or can he rejoin you? Cause adding a quest that takes away a fan-favourite also seems like a lovely thing to do.

Yep, he's gone forever.

Black Robe posted:

...this is Grima Wormtongue, right? I'm not hallucinating?

The one and only.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah, people might like him more than Sandrah! Can't have that, shove him on a bus

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vichan posted:

Yep, he's gone forever.

But what about Boolerion?????

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe the panther will find a human to gently caress like I've always feared.

Oh good also a foot fetish, we needed that

And I guess I'm also a little skeeved by Minsc and orc princess adopting a pure human kid, like god forbid they pass on her horrible orcness. Nothing wrong with adoption, but all the weirdness around her race just gives me bad vibes. At least she's gone now. Like it's basically a "white people lead the natives to peace" thing but with a very human-looking orc and a human guy.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vichan posted:

Yep, he's gone forever.

Of course. Of course Roxxane adds a questline that removes a beloved character because he got to love the "totally not a human" orc as a replacement for her witch. And this is adding the fact that by Roxxane's writings Minsc thinks like a child so there's another layer of hosed up to that :barf:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Aerie is kind of annoying but being mean is too cruel for my tastes.

I want to make fun of Szass Tam the Half-Lich trying to become god of the Dark Weave but I am pretty sure I watched a movie about some evil wizard trying to open the dark dimension so I have lost that right.

Vichan posted:

I regret not making Vichan a woman so we could see Chloe's controversial side

Roxanne might have sanded away the worst of it to make sure Sandrah's plot keeps going.

JamMasterJim posted:

'Deleted Myrkul'.
1000 ways to describe killing a god . I know it's technically sound, but like most of the mod writing, feels off

FRE3 Waterdeep posted:

At that moment, Midnight casts disintegrate.

The spell works automatically; do not check for magical chaos. There is a flash of golden light, the ground trembles, and then a deepening purple glow settles over the scene. When it dies away, Myrkul and the griffon have vanished. A brown murk hangs in the air where The Lord of the Dead had been.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
'Deleted Myrkul'.
1000 ways to describe killing a god . I know it's technically sound, but like most of the mod writing, feels off

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 19, 2021