Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Chapter CXIII - In her own words she calls me her *besta friend* and I have no reason to object to that description.

Enough banters, it's time to get ready for Spellhold!

Ninde and Anomen are kicked out in favour of Korgan and Wilson. (Sorta, more on that later)

Spellhold awaits!

We'd better hurry! :ohdear:

We're probably worried about nothing, right?

Saemon! :argh:

Some backup, thanks for nothing.

I almost choked on my food when I got to this part. Sure thing, Sandrah. You are the epitome of chastity when it comes to women. :jerkbag:

I preferred it when these two were silent.

Calahan helped us out way back when, later he'll help us out once again by smuggling some people off the island but it won't be shown in this LP.

Sure, why not?

Apparently we can teleport now.

Poor guy. Time for some payback! :black101:

Gotta love when a conversation kicks off mid-gib. :allears:

Time to drop what we're doing to do Sandrah's bidding.

Time to pay Cadderly a visit!

Some new PID options, we can now have sex with Sandrah whenever we want to. Let's never touch that particular option again.

While Cadderly fucks off to Tamriel we rest up a bit at the monastery.

:allears:

Our jaunt to the Hells is short and uneventful besides the main encounter.

Before facing the dragon we find this armor, since Vichan can use any item by this point he gets to wear it.

Once you get the dragon down to low HP you automatically use Fangor's Holder to capture it.

With that behind us we can finally move on.

Sandrah Saga beefs up this encounter for some reason, these guys were very tough back when we faced them in BG1, not so much now. Chremy managed to bite it before they even managed to show.

Oh hey, we have to get a safe key from this guy! I'd completely forgotten about that.

Yoink!

A short lesson but one well worth learning.

I originally wanted to use the presence of Wilson to prove that we're mad but for some reason Desharik was bugged, looks like we're going to have to go with the other option.

I love Yoshimo's interjections on Brynnlaw.

You've really been a big help. Thanks.

I wish I could've talked this guy down. :negative:

His boots might come in handy someday.

Spellhold is in sight!

Making a mental note to check the place out after we return we head on in.

I have no idea why we're forced to fall for this obvious ruse.

When you decipher this message you get:

quote:

My pantaloons are full of weasels. Inform the queen so that she might shoo them away. Here we go 'round the mulberry bush. Go, monkey, GO!

What a loon.

(After this part I realised that bringing Wilson would kinda be a waste so I replayed everything up 'til now with Valygar who actually gets some stuff to do soon)

Sandrah's been oddly subdued so far. She's almost like an ordinary NPC.

Poor guy, he deserves better. :negative:

Betrayal! Before we can do anything about it our vision is clouded...

Next time we'll see just what Irenicus has in store for us.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatchedB52
May 28, 2021
I've long been curious about Wilson, but have never taken him in the party for long because he doesn't seem to have much content. And he seems a little underpowered for many BG2 encounters. I was hoping for some unbearable puns.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

RatchedB52 posted:

I've long been curious about Wilson, but have never taken him in the party for long because he doesn't seem to have much content. And he seems a little underpowered for many BG2 encounters. I was hoping for some unbearable puns.

He's an easter egg character so aside from using him to enter Spellhold I don't think he's got anything to add.

Veeery light spoilers for what's ahead:

I'm thinking of dropping Valygar for Tiax as soon as we get the chance, does anyone know anything about the Tiax mod and what it adds?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Valygar deserves better than being abandoned in a mage asylum imo.

Also I really enjoy the soothing paternal tone Irenicus has when he's addressing the inmates in this segment. I was fooled the first time I kicked down the front door, in spite of this guy being very obviously voiced by David Warner.

I was half-expecting Sandrah to ruin this sequence but I guess there's really no way to have the next set of plot events happen if the party pre-empts Irenicus.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I was half-expecting Sandrah to ruin this sequence but I guess there's really no way to have the next set of plot events happen if the party pre-empts Irenicus.

waiting for sandrah to explain that she knew about the knockout drugs and it was all part of her plan

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yoshimo's cover really falls the gently caress apart at Brynnlaw, doesn't it? Even before the actual event.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

when tiax rules mods shall not ride up so wedge-like

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yoshimo's cover really falls the gently caress apart at Brynnlaw, doesn't it? Even before the actual event.

I really like that bit where he is clumsily trying to let the guy know YOSHIMO so he doesnt get blasted

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ramc posted:

when tiax rules mods shall not ride up so wedge-like
I really like that bit where he is clumsily trying to let the guy know YOSHIMO so he doesnt get blasted

My subtle favorite is when Yoshimo says that if his life is so easily thrown away, what about yours? He's clearly implying that his life should have value to who Saemon works for.

And then he just derps straight over "I'm YOSHIMO Y-O-S-H-I-M-O"

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

She's saving herself for the big finale when she interrupts at the height of the action to make it all about her and then auto-win.

Or maybe she'll just let us do it and then claim later that it was her, like she did with Sarevok.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Black Robe posted:

She's saving herself for the big finale when she interrupts at the height of the action to make it all about her and then auto-win.

Or maybe she'll just let us do it and then claim later that it was her, like she did with Sarevok.

It would be pretty hilarious if Jon-Bon stole Sandrah's soul instead of Vichan's, really drive home who the REAL protagonist is :colbert:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Rappaport posted:

It would be pretty hilarious if Jon-Bon stole Sandrah's soul instead of Vichan's, really drive home who the REAL protagonist is :colbert:

It clearly doesn't exist, otherwise I would be completely on board with this.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Valygar deserves better than being abandoned in a mage asylum imo.

True enough, let's keep him around a bit longer.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CXIV - Gee, I knew and knew and knew always all the time you would be there for me if all else failed, Sandrah. Yes and yes, please send me to Henning!

Vichan is trapped inside of some sort of tank, Irenicus and his minions stand before him. Meanwhile Sandrah and the rest of the party are locked up far away, unaware of what is happening.

Keep this in mind, this is important.

Irenicus drops quite the bombshell or us.

...Or at least it would've been a bombshell if Sandrah Saga hadn't pre-empted this reveal back in the Cloakwood Mines. :doh:

So this BG2:Unfinished Business addition is actually pretty interesting. Early in BG2's development most NPCs were supposed to have some sort of 'nemesis' that Irenicus would recruit to aid him. This would ensure that your encounters in Spellhold could vary wildly. Aerie's nemesis for example was supposed to be a mage obsessed with Avariel, after dealing with him Aerie could even turn into a bird and leave your party. Pretty wild stuff.

All of this was cut during development but Suna Seni is actually in the original game as a random encounter.

Sandrah tries talking to the walls in hopes that they'll answer her, stupid g-

...How the gently caress are these two having a conversation when they're in two separate rooms? There is an encounter with Irenicus later on that'd be a perfect time for her to speak up, why does it have to be now? :psyduck:

Everything goes dark.

Another dream but something's...different.

David Warner sells the crap out of these lines. They still manage to give me chills 20 years later.

It's a good thing that Bodhi's an idiot or this LP would've met a premature end.

We finally meet up with Imoen, it's good to have her back...

...You know what that means.

You're probably curious what would happen if I decide to ditch Imoen here, not to worry, I've got you covered:

A tempting option, but we're obviously not going with this.

Chloe gets an upgrade for her swords from her mother.

She also bugs out yet again. :doh:

Our relationship with Sandrah might be slightly less problematic than we originally thought. Small victories.

Something stirs...

Again we're not covering this dungeon in great detail.

This one is from the Imoen friendship mod.

:allears:

We should've known she wouldn't play fair.

Apparently neither does Vichan, party beware!

Quite the awkward conversation.

Later on we transform again, but nobody reacts to it.

After proving our sanity (sorta) we're out of the dungeon.

These talks are a welcome reprieve from Sandrah Saga's Imoen.

Poor Suna Seni, dying in order to give us information that we would've found out soon anyway. :smith:

We think of a dastardly plan to confront Irenicus.

There is absolutely no way that this can backfire!

With the help of Spellhold's inmates we swarm Irenicus before he can do anything.

He manages to kill all the inmates as he flees though, poor guys.... :negatives:

All except one, apparently.

We swear to redeem poor Yoshimo as we rip his beating heart from his body.

Oh God, I hope they're not going to come to blows before we reach the Underdark. :ohdear:

Mystra shows up to shower praise on Sandrah because we have to be reminded that this is *her* story.

Ultimately deciding that leaving Valygar in Spellhold is too cruel we throw Tiax to the wayside again.

I don't trust this guy at all but we could always use another blade.

Sandrah's actually helpful for once, I always forget to check Irenicus' room.

After her first hint at the Cloakwood the pieces are finally coming together.

I miss cheery Imoen... :smith:

Since we have to wait 'til nightfall we're going to get some well-deserved sleep.

More dreams, and they're getting worse.

That was easy. Let's get out of here before something ha-

....Oh.

We manage to get out of there with little effort.

Saemon's not so bad, we've seen what this blade can do once its assembled thanks to Jen'lig. I wonder what she's up to nowadays...

Oh God, what now?

You've got to admire just how slippery Saemon is.

drat you, Saemon! :argh:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I appreciate that multiple Mary Sue authors saw the traumatic violation of the PC and their dangling on the precipice of devolving into an Eldritch horror and thought "welp time for my character's patron/parent god to pop in and offer their blessings as well, can't let the player character have all the goodies!"

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I appreciate that multiple Mary Sue authors saw the traumatic violation of the PC and their dangling on the precipice of devolving into an Eldritch horror and thought "welp time for my character's patron/parent god to pop in and offer their blessings as well, can't let the player character have all the goodies!"

Someone should make a mod designed to pair up with these SueNPC ones that literally changes nothing except to add a dialogue option saying 'THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU, PRINCESS' every time they butt in to shove their own backstory down your throat.

Particularly for this section of the game. If Vichan can't tell his wise counsellor to go gently caress herself with a railroad spike after literally losing his soul, when can he?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

ok

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Consistency is hard when you're near a Sue

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I imagined Warner doing the lines from the second quote and... :ohno:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

the entire (vanilla) free the insane wizards to help sequence still slaps though

"how wonderfully mad of you"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ramc posted:

the entire (vanilla) free the insane wizards to help sequence still slaps though

"how wonderfully mad of you"

Alas, we can't yet enjoy the musical stylings of Jon-Bon AKA "redeem this!" since it'd contain spoilers :(

Well, sort of, Sandrah already gave a preview spoiler of some of it? Dangit Sandrah! :argh:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:barf:
Honestly even more than the actual gods showing up, the comment that oh no, you totally couldn't have killed me in your blind demonic lobster rage, because Mystra would have prevented that is just :bang:

I loving hate this mod :suicide:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I decided to look up a video to hear some of that Irenicus voice acting, and for some reason that was what made me realize that one of the inmates is Dradeel, our friend from werewolf island. Somehow I never made that connection before now, though it's not exactly subtle.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

vilkacis posted:

:barf:
Honestly even more than the actual gods showing up, the comment that oh no, you totally couldn't have killed me in your blind demonic lobster rage, because Mystra would have prevented that is just :bang:

I loving hate this mod :suicide:

Like the actual scene which we may still have where you wake up next to your lover and become the Slayer and then freak out about how you could have killed your lover was pretty great! This did it exactly the wrong way!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I decided to look up a video to hear some of that Irenicus voice acting, and for some reason that was what made me realize that one of the inmates is Dradeel, our friend from werewolf island. Somehow I never made that connection before now, though it's not exactly subtle.

poo poo, you're right, I didn't notice that either.

Makes sense though, he never was WELL, exactly

Ramc
May 4, 2008

also what a fukken note to go out on, yoshimo owns

RatchedB52
May 28, 2021
So... if I remember correctly, that scene where Mystra shows up to shower her granddaughter with praise has now made Sandrah effectively unkillable, in that she has gained an innate MinHP1 ability...

So now Sandrah is a plot character even more so than before.

I think you can actually remove that innate unkillability by using CTRL R on Sandrah, or use EE Keeper to delete it drom her "effects" tab.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

do you think akadia and mystra took a carpool down together

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Ramc posted:

also what a fukken note to go out on, yoshimo owns

Yoshimo's whole arc is like a Greek tragedy.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Hahahahaha Jesus Christ, so Sandrah's basically unkillable now? This is breathtakingly awful.

And I'm fairly sure in vanilla BG2 its stated that the gods are explicitly forbidden from intervening in the PCs actions by Ao himself, so if Vichan for whatever reason felt the need, or was required to murder Sandrah to complete his destiny, then it's going to happen and Mystra can do jack poo poo to prevent it. But Vichan hasn't been the main character for ages now, so got to keep our precious Mary Sue alive.

Even Chloe looks restrained in comparison, which says so, so much.

And Yoshimo does own, what a way to go. I forgot how good that death is, its totally pre-destined but he shows absolutely no fear at all.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 31, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

RatchedB52 posted:

So... if I remember correctly, that scene where Mystra shows up to shower her granddaughter with praise has now made Sandrah effectively unkillable, in that she has gained an innate MinHP1 ability...

biscuits and crazy posted:

Hahahahaha Jesus Christ, so Sandrah's basically unkillable now? This is breathtakingly awful.

I didn't get any message hinting to anything of the sort so I decided to test it out just now. Sandrah's HP didn't go below 15 and she basically wiped the entire party. :cripes:

I'll try and find a way to showcase it as soon as I can.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 31, 2021

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I think I used to hate Saemon when I first played the game, but now I'm like "Oh you." :allears:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

biscuits and crazy posted:

And I'm fairly sure in vanilla BG2 its stated that the gods are explicitly forbidden from intervening in the PCs actions by Ao himself, so if Vichan for whatever reason felt the need, or was required to murder Sandrah to complete his destiny, then it's going to happen and Mystra can do jack poo poo to prevent it. But Vichan hasn't been the main character for ages now, so got to keep our precious Mary Sue alive.

Oh please, Sandrah just has to blink her eyes aand Ao will give her the full support of every god, the Tablets of Destiny and even more abilities.

Then she'll slurp Ao's giant beard because as established Sandrah has no limits on what she'll try to smack.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

It's time for an update to the graph I guess! Sandrah has been remarkably calm so far, afaict the only new connection is between her and Valygar. Vichan has been pretty busy though, not least shacking up with a literal vampire! As always I am thankful for all corrections and missed connections

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Yeah, the neverending polyamorous orgy that was BG1's party has tapered off significantly. There's more one-off content courtesy of the meet-and-gently caress-random-women mod, but the love triangles are markedly fewer. I don't think Vichan's had a single threesome since before shanking Sarevok. It's uncharacteristically subdued writing from Roxanne.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

From rep I was expecting more egregious chloe stuff too but maybe that is to come.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ramc posted:

From rep I was expecting more egregious chloe stuff too but maybe that is to come.

We're male, so we're saved from a lot of it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CXV - Ha, between the sheets I will still lead.

Somehow we didn't drown and are surrounded by weird fishpeople.

Korgan is too precious for this world. :allears:

From the frying pan into the fire, or whatever the nautical equivalent might be.

Poor guy. :smith:

These fishpeople are cold.

We'd better do as he says, I don't want to end up on this guy's plate.

...The priestess raises a valid point, though. We may as well do some good while we're here.

More wacky shenanigans.

These heroic figures each give you an item that you have to deposit in another figure's chest. You'd think Sandrah would have something to say here but no luck.

After solving the puzzle we can open the sixth chest.

Ha.

Say hello to the best character in the game.

With the tooth in hand we can visit the rebel leader.

All these fishpeople look alike to me, let's just do what he says.

What's this about?

We'd better ask her about this.

I have to admit I've been fantasizing about an LP that plays itself lately.

We manage to kill the king and his entourage before the prince even shows up.

Let's leave before I get teary-eyed.

It's time to head further below.

God, I love this cutscene.

The Underdark awaits.

We're immediately assailed by a drow army.

When Sandrah received her visit from Mystra last chapter some of you were kind enough to inform me that she did in fact gain a skill:

She can no longer die. She manages to kill about 12 drow and their summons without breaking a sweat. She didn't have to heal or buff. Pelligram was the only one helping out. I tried siccing our party on her after this and she didn't go below 15HP the entire time and she managed to kill us all.

This basically means we've won the game, right? If only...

I wonder what mod adds this encounter, is this a Sandrah Saga thing?

We run into some Duergar closeby.

An imprisoned mage?

With a freedom scroll in hand...

A svirfneblin village? We could use a safe haven.

Not the warmest of welcomes but that is to be expected.

This Adalon sounds interesting and they seem to know how to get into the Drow city, this task of his doesn't sound that hard.

See? Piece of cake.

We could see Adalon right away but let's take care of some other stuff first.

Add this to our list.

Ah, here's the book we need.

Always glad to help out. :)

This thing has a lot of trapped souls in it.

A fight seems inevitable but you can cast heal on this guy.

Sandrah was mazed shortly after this, I had to reload and cast protection of magic on Vichan so he could take the hit.

These guys fight you no matter what you do.

This guy is just happy to be out.

And this is the son we were looking for. :)

Valygar's been thinking a lot about redemption.

With that bit of business done we can head to Adalon's lair.

She really is magnificent, isn't she? :allears:

And just like that...

Veldrin, I like it.

You might notice Sandrah didn't really change, at least not her character model...

She looks even more radiant than before. :swoon:

With our new disguise the guards are none the wiser.

And just like that Sandrah manages to finagle her way to the top of the party slot.

Next time we'll explore the city of the Drow and all it has to offer.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Now Sandrah has what she's wanted all along. She has become the protagonist. Gods have mercy on us.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I am starting to think the author of this Sandrah mod considers her story to be more important than the Bhaalspawn's!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://giant.gfycat.com/HandyDimpledAfricanpiedkingfisher.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Lo, and they offered homage unto The Beast...