Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Of course the height of Sandrah's story ended with her outsmarting the greatest of the Gods. Of course it did. There was no other way this was going to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Woof. That was... not very good.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
The gently caress did I just read

Thunderclan
Dec 24, 2013

LJN92 posted:

Of course the height of Sandrah's story ended with her outsmarting the greatest of the Gods. Of course it did. There was no other way this was going to end.

I think Cyric and the other divine villains got the best ending...they got to get away from Sandrah by divine order.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I get the feeling Roxanne just happened to (sort of) learn the word "phalanx" before writing this part.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

All of this just reads like a convoluted cultivation web serial of the lowest order except it's in Baldur's gate

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

TitanG posted:

All of this just reads like a convoluted cultivation web serial of the lowest order except it's in Baldur's gate

Even trashy web serial doesn't retcon the entire setting to the protagonist's favor and removing every single obstacle though.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Those last few updates were hard. I can't even imagine playing them.

I very rarely have an out loud Oh John Ringo No moment, but every time Ao showed up I just clutched my head and cried out as if I were struck. Roxanne... no. No, don't do that.

Ao is capital G God in Forgotten Realms. You don't tell him poo poo.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Oh my god, that was awful to read. Its just terrible writing all the way through. It must have been even worse to endure playing through.

Sandrah being arrogant enough to screw every other god over, and go against explicit direct orders from Ao (A God whose power is so vast it almost makes Shar or Talos look like kobolds in comparison) himself and somehow get away with it with literally zero consequences is just obscene. Surely Ao could just smite her or remove her divinity or something.

Caros
May 14, 2008

biscuits and crazy posted:

Oh my god, that was awful to read. Its just terrible writing all the way through. It must have been even worse to endure playing through.

Sandrah being arrogant enough to screw every other god over, and go against explicit direct orders from Ao (A God whose power is so vast it almost makes Shar or Talos look like kobolds in comparison) himself and somehow get away with it with literally zero consequences is just obscene. Surely Ao could just smite her or remove her divinity or something.

Ao is to the forgotten realms gods what they are to mortals. Except, like... moreso.

The funny thing is that Sandrah's plan of making the gods not dependent on mortals (but on her... somehow) was a direct repudiation of Ao's decision in the time of troubles. It used to be that gods didn't actually gain anything from their worshipers, which made them callous and indifferent. Ao tied worship directly to their strength and life, which made them give a poo poo and stop treating mortals as disposable playthings.

Given this, the idea that Ao could somehow end up dependent on Sandrah is just laughably dumb. Dude does not give a gently caress. He replaced Mystra with a random human on a whim.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

CremePudding posted:

Even trashy web serial doesn't retcon the entire setting to the protagonist's favor and removing every single obstacle though.

You may need to read trashier trash .

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Chapter CLVIII - Forget my moods, Kelemvor, we know how you can improve them, oh, yes, I know you can!

Our time with Sandrah is over, but choosing these dialogue options leads to the final part of Sandrah Saga.

Vichan sheds his equipment...

Sandrah's standing in Blackstaff Tower...

...And it's game over.

Finding a solution to this bug was pretty much impossible since the only people talking about this part of the mod are probably Roxanne's alts. After trying stuff out I managed to fix the issue by pausing the game which gave the mod time to sort everything out. In the screenshot you can see that Sandrah is replaced by Midnight.

I get the feeling I'm going to regret finding a fix for the issue though. :ohdear:

Haiass is also here, don't ask.

Let's see what we're working with here.

Midnight starts off naked but has a few items in her inventory.

Much better.

I'm pretty sure her level is carried over from Sandrah's.

So are her barks, which lead to some weird comments.

Heading downstairs from where I started I quickly find the rest of my party.

Adon is the only new face, disappointing.

None of them have unique gear.

We came to this place to find a halfling but he's not here, I guess we'd better get out of here.

Wouldn't you know it he shows up just as we're about to leave. :getin:

He runs with some interesting people.

It doesn't end well for any of them.

On his person is the sword we're looking for.

I give it to Cyric, of course. What can go wrong?

This is...interesting.

What could cause this phenomenon?

Anyway, there's nothing else to do here so let's just leave.

A chance to beat up some slavers? Sign me up! :black101:

Just in case it wasn't clear that Midnight and Kelemvor were an item this conversation happens as we take our first rest.

The ancient ruins are our next destination!

A ruined caravan and flashing lights, better investigate.

A drow accosted by red wizard, there's only one way this can end.

Die, slavers! :black101:

Since we have an empty party slot we invite the drow to join us.

Forgotten Realms aficionados will recognize her, I'm sure.

Not much to work with in terms of inventory, although I did manage to find a bit of gear for her scattered around.

She starts out with this robe, not bad!

Seems like we're not done quite yet.

Death to slavers! :black101:

Next time we'll do as the chapter heading suggests and try and get our bearings.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 7, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I can't believe Sandrah killed you.

(I can absolutely believe Sandrah killed you)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vichan, take the chance, you can erase Sandrah from the timeline before she can get her hands on the narrative!

(If I'm correct and we are Vichan transported into Midnight as a sorta astral memory and not just Sandrah after killing Vichan and slurping his essence)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Vichan, take the chance, you can erase Sandrah from the timeline before she can get her hands on the narrative!

(If I'm correct and we are Vichan transported into Midnight as a sorta astral memory and not just Sandrah after killing Vichan and slurping his essence)

Those items all said "only equippable by Sandrah" so I think we can surmise what's happened.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Huh, I didn't expect Liriel "party girl" Baenre to show up. Wonder how Roxanne is going to assassinate her character like all the rest.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vichan posted:

Forgotten Realms aficionados will recognize her, I'm sure.

To my shame, i do...

...but only barely since those stats are all wrong!!! Geez Roxanne, i'm starting to suspect you don't actually care that much about Forgotten Realms lore!!!!

...what has gone wrong with my life :negative:

Leraika posted:

I can't believe Sandrah killed you.

(I can absolutely believe Sandrah killed you)

:emptyquote:

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

I'm not sure I get it; is this a build up to some more Sandrah crap, or are we just doing a poorly written rendition of the actual Time of Troubles?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can say, with some certainty, yes.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CLIX - I know some women like that, the sweat, strength, power of the bull, the lion, yeah, the panther.

After routing the slavers I decided to head to Nashkel for some R&R.

Haiass still being around seems to be a feature, not a bug. Weird.

Let's get some rest.

Cyric is basically Edwin as you can see.

And just like that we've got a new quest, looks like we're off to Waterdeep!

After we've had some sleep, of course.

Waterdeep is accessed by going to the little wilderness area in front of it, just like always.

This leads us right into an ambush.

There's no avoiding this fight, they're easily dispatched.

The caves they're talking about is the area where we faced off against the collector.

On our way there I decide to stop at the Temple of Mystra.

Most of the people here don't have anything new to say but there's some changes here and there.

Anyway, it's east from the temple to the graveyard.

We're ambushed again here, no biggie.

Our first dungeon, exciting!

We've covered this area before and there's not much to add, most of the time we're up against these guys.

This'll be interesting.

Kelemvor transforms into a panther and attacks his brother.

His minions are more of a bother than the man himself.

After the fight Kelemvor transforms back and passes out.

Poor Kelemvor... :smith:

Going north leads to a dead end, nothing but combat.

Instead we have to go east through the ice chambers.

This force field that barred the way before (or rather later) is open to us now.

This leads us to a lava area with wyverns and drow.

At the end is a drow encampment, one of the drow talks to us and flees. The rest rush to their deaths.

This scroll might come in handy, we'd better take it with us.

A nice looking area, it looks even better in motion.

Next up is a small area filled with basilisks and various spiders.

At the end two drow are waiting for us next to a pretty convincing Drizzt statue.

After all these hours Roxanne still amazes with the riveting dialogue.

Nisstyre opens the fight with a blast that even sends her on our rear end.

Tsabrak is first to go, in no small part due to the fact that Nisstyre isn't really interested in fighting us until her flunky is near death.

A big mistake on her part.

Little did Drizzt know that he'd end up banging Midnight, her daughter AND her granddaughter over the course of decades.

Drizzt hands us the amulet and storms off.

Our next stop is Suldanessellar, one can only guess who we'll find there.

At this point it occurred to me that I didn't check to see if the NPCs had any PIDs.

Turns out that they do, Cyric and Kelemvor at least.

...I think it's best that we don't mess with the timeline too much.

A beautiful area. :allears:

On our way back Cyric tries his luck with Midnight to no avail.

Next time we'll see if there's anything to do in the Friendly Arm Inn before heading to the fabled city of the elves.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

How DARE YOU compare these simians something less syllably intensive to the glory that is EDWIN ODESSEIRON?

But seriously, how is this a post-game adventure? What are you even doing here? It's a bunch of mooks and, well, I guess there's dialogue, but... There's dialogue.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is from some updates back but how the hell does Sandrah know what the jet stream is. What is even Toril's jetstream??

Also, just how many people died for Sandrah to become a totalitarian God that will totally be benevolent?

Sandrah could actually be a very compelling character, as long as she was the main villain of a D&D campaign.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Mans posted:

Sandrah could actually be a very compelling character, as long as she was the main villain of a D&D campaign.

cutting off all gods from faerun would be p villainous in the balance i would think

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CLX - These words are without value.

Time to see what's new (old?) at the Friendly Arm Inn.

The Solar is still hanging out here in human form.

Jopi has to be ancient for him to appear from Time of Troubles Revisited to Return to Faerun.

That's all there is to do at the Friendly Arm Inn that we haven't already covered.

Let's head for the forest of Tethyr.

Kind of a random place for him to show up.

(I've made a habit of choosing different dialogue options to see what's different but most of the time your choices don't matter)

Time to pay the elves a visit.

Some things never change, it seems.

The War Sage straight up sums up this entire experience.

:allears:

Again the screen shakes and a winged figure appears, I get the feeling we're not supposed to mess with the timeline.

Instead of visiting Ellesime I decided to pay a visit to the clearing first.

We run into a familiar face on our way there.

Whoops...

Centeol's also here, both of them leave before we can plant any more ideas into their heads though.

Adalon's hanging out in the clearing.

She attacks us after this conversation, kill her and we cut to credits. This is a dead end.

I reload the game and search for Ellesime this time.

Talking to people isn't a worthwhile exercise in this portion of the LP.

Let's ignore the fact that Joneleth's sprite and name make no sense at this point in the game.

He helps us out, albeit begrudgingly.

With the modified amulet in hand we head for the clearing.

This time he takes the amulet, our quest is completed.

Oh boy, I can see where this is going...

He can't be allowed to get away with it, Joneleth must die!

The pain will only be passing, you won't survive the process! :black101:

Uh...

Oh no... :ohdear:

The lesson for today: Don't mess with the timeline.

We're done with this place, time to leave.

I suppose it's back to Waterdeep. Again.

We also talk about the Lyonsbane curse and its implications.

On our way to Waterdeep we come across a seaman in desperate need of a vowel.

Good thing we have some scrolls on hand.

They're all equally ungrateful.

What a shame.

The surviving pirat(e) wouldn't stop following me around so he had to go as well.

Good idea, if Mystra's temple doesn't pan out we can visit Sune's.

Speaking of temples, I decided to pay a visit to Waukeen's.

A good thing as well as we're informed by a priest of Helm that troubled times are upon us.

On our way out we run into this forgettable character that we've run into so many times already.

Malar's running rampant and we're supposed to stop him, I'll put it on the list.

We can't head there right away though as something is going down back at the temple of Waukeen.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Yep, definitely not good.

This can't be a good deal.

We wail on him a couple of times and he teleports away. Note the unconscious priest in the corner.

...You might want to sit down again.

I'm getting the feeling that Cyric might have some ulterior motives.

We might as well get our encounter with Malar over with. (I went to Beregost to fetch a silver dagger just in case)

They were annoying to fight but not really that hard.

I never got around to this area which means that BG1 content is getting in the way of things. Awkward.

Malar's talking as if we didn't just go through his entire entourage.

We wail on him for a few seconds and he flees. That's it. This part of the mod is nothing if not anti-climactic, huh?

Back to Waterdeep it is.

The temple of Mystra's a bust, no-one will help us out here. The temple of Sune's the place where we ran into Melicamp, might as well head there.

Sure enough Sune's waiting for us here, and she's not alone.

Track down stolen tablets, what can go wrong?

Up next is the most eventful chapter in quite a while as we track down tablets and run into all kinds of trouble along the way!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

We might be done with this thing even sooner than I thought. My estimate is that we only have a couple of chapters left! :)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vichan posted:

These words are without value.

New thread title?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I see being able to read the script of the game is genetic.

God, this is tedious.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know Roxanne spends zero thought with regards to lore or timelines adding up, but I just want to stress one last time that the intro said this takes place ten years before the events of the game. Ten years from the events we're seeing, Midnight's granddaughter will be twenty two years old, and her son will be well over a thousand.

Plus I am not gonna dig through Sandrah lore, but Cyric is supposed to be her grandfather, right? I frankly don't want to see how that comes about.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

oh my god the irenicus portrait

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know Roxanne spends zero thought with regards to lore or timelines adding up, but I just want to stress one last time that the intro said this takes place ten years before the events of the game. Ten years from the events we're seeing, Midnight's granddaughter will be twenty two years old, and her son will be well over a thousand.

Plus I am not gonna dig through Sandrah lore, but Cyric is supposed to be her grandfather, right? I frankly don't want to see how that comes about.

lol

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
I've only just realized that "hihi" isn't some really obnoxious twee greeting, it's laughter. gently caress.

Also, I'm not sure why this is what bothers me, but per the module about the Time of Troubles, Midnight is like a level 7 mage, not a level whatever fighter/cleric. Plus, magic should be super hosed up in an unfun way with a high chance of failure or wild surge, and no clerics can cast spells higher than level 3.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CLXI - Even suffering and enduring requires the perspective of relief.

It's been awhile since we had an eventful chapter, hasn't it? Let's get to it.

We start with the Wood of the Dead.

Vennegrat is already up to no good.

We have to fight our way through the forest to get to him.

When we make it to Vennegrat and whack him for a while he runs away.

Hidden by some stones is this letter.

The guide (Which I've been religiously following for a while because I don't want to break anything) says not to enter the tomb because its filled with traps. It's completely empty of both enemies and traps, nothing to do here.

Next up is the temple of Bhaal that we visited in Siege of Dragonspear.

We know we came to the right place because there's Bhaal cultists hiding around near the entrance, this screenshot was just after they one-hit-backstabbed Liriel.

After a hard-fought battle we reach the cave.

No encounters on the way to the temple.

When we arrive we come across a really lazy prisoner.

Seriously, he can just walk out whenever he wants to.

Wise words to live by when you're playing Sandrah Saga, we're almost at the finish line. :unsmith:

The temple is completely free of enemies so we can explore at our leisure.

In the chapel we run into the mothers of Sarevok and Vichan, respectively. Also Melissan.

Saliera and Alianna are both pregnant, please keep this fact in mind going forward.

Anyway, they give us the letter and we leave them alone. You can probably guess what happens if you kill them.

The high priest's quarters has the jail key that we don't actually need because the door is wide open.

What a moron, let's just leave.

With the two letters in hand we can make our way back to Sune and Mystra.

They send us along to Candlekeep anyway.

The place where it all began, I wonder what's different?

Turns out the answer is 'not a whole lot'. Most of it's the same as it was when we played through Return to Faerun.

Winthrop not being here is the only thing that's changed.

Might as well head inside and get what we came here for.

Bah, what's the worst that can go wrong? Worrying about nothing...

Screw the coordinators, I bet we just have to go to the t-

:eyepop:

Bhaal turns into the slayer and runs off.

Poor Ulraunt collapses due to the excitement.

I can see where Sandrah gets her tendencies from.

The book we needed was in a nearby bookshelf. It's obvious where we need to go next.

We leave Candlekeep, probably for the final time.

Abazigal's Lair has to be where we're supposed to go.

Sure enough a wounded dragon is lying around outside.

Nothing a little healing won't solve.

Oh, my mistake. Not just a dragon but Tiamat herself.

Tiamat leaves with not so much as a thank you, at least we know that the Dead Three are here.

Heading inside we're faced with a bunch of 'bone blades', whatever those are supposed to be.

No diving in pools today, let's just use the door.

Abazigal and his mother are casually hanging out here, you can probably guess what happens if we decide to attack them. Let's not do that.

The dead three are close-by, Bhaal and Myrkul leave while Bane has to do the dirty work.

As he's close to dying he makes Kelemvor an offer. I wisely tell him not to accept... :hai:

...But of course he decides to accept the deal anyway. Why did I expect to have any choice in the matter? :cripes:

:suicide:

Looks like we have to go back to Blackstaff Tower.

After some much needed rest, that is.

We keep coming back to this place, don't we?

There's Erinyes waiting for us here. (Erinyeses, Erinyesii?)

Myrkul awaits us in the fortress itself.

Bane's nearby as well, Cyric and Kelemvor leave the party to chase after him.

Myrkul does a thing and everyone is taken out of commission.

Everyone besides Midnight and Haiass, that is! :black101:

I also summon a solar to help out.

The solar manages to get a vorpal hit in and Myrkul is no more.

The tablet of fate, we did it! :dance: I can't wait to tell Cyric and Kele-

Oh no, we'd better head over there! :ohdear:

Cyric takes charge, in more ways than one. Kelemvor seems to be beyond help.

We'd best head back to Sune and Mystra, they'll know what to do!

Liriel and Pelligram think there's something odd about all this. They're probably just being paranoid.

Looks like Mystra is trying to bypass Helm at the Celestial Stairs, we'd best head over there!

We first have to go through this area where we fight a couple of basilisks.

Before you know it we're fighting on the Celestial Stairs themselves.

A nice area, I kinda recognize it but from where...?

Adon's only there so we can watch the scene play out, we haven't reached them yet.

Oh no, we're too late! :negative:

We still have some fighting left to do before we reach Helm.

We arrive just in time to admonish Helm for his stupidity and throw him the tablet. The screen shakes and...

I wish I could say things ended here but we still have a while to go, next time we'll see just how much this timeline makes no sense whatsoever.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 7, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I... I just can't begin to wrap my head around how hosed up this timeline is.

-Mystra is killed after the tablets of fate are found, when hjer death was one of the first things of the year and was because she demanded to go back because she thought she was above all the poo poo. Yet it's even stupider because had she waited 5 minutes she would not be dead!

-Vichan and Sarekov's mothers being pregnant... 11 years before BG. Yup, Vichan and Sarekov are the same age, around 10 years old in Sandrah canon! And Sandrah is romancing a 10 year old in that case! Also lol at the whole "spare the unborn!" when the entire point is to murder the babies so Bhaal can resurrect/Amelissan can hijack the ritual.

-On that note, I bet Alianna is always a human despite her canonically being the same race as CHARNAME AND human being the race that makes the timey-wimey ball go the worst of all.

-Bhaal going around boinking different beings despite having forseen his death and sired the Bhaalspawn way before the Time of Troubles.

-And of course, Midnight is now probably pregnant with Cyric's child, who would give birth to Sandrah, who will be 20-ish in 10 years! And even if you assume Sandrah just changed the timeline and the Time of Troubles happens like decades before BG, the fact we see the pregnant mothers means that Vichan and Sarekov are in their 40s/50s instead. Which for Vichan would mnake sense in a race like Elf idk, but not on a human!

I give up. This mods deals 40d10 psychic damage directly to the brain, there is no god, only the Abyss known as Sandrah :psyboom:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
this mod is not very good

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This Cyric writing is absolutely brilliant, every time he talks I'm absolutely enamoured with the quality that it provides.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

more like the timeline of troubles

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

In Bhaalist Faerūn god murders you!

I'm done with Sandrah Saga, all that's left to do is edit screenshots and decide how many chapters to divide them in. :)

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

Vichan posted:

done with Sandrah Saga

Congratulations! Against all expectations you actually made it through! :v:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Vichan posted:

I'm done with Sandrah Saga, all that's left to do is edit screenshots and decide how many chapters to divide them in. :)

Is that a light at the end of the tunnel, or the headlamp of an oncoming train?

(Seriously, congratulations, I can't imagine how relieved you'll be to be done with this.)

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Vichan posted:

And what a journey it was. Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Hihi.