Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I'm not completely surprised people make mods for Baldur's Gate still! Boy, I sure hope they've improve-

oh god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Honestly? Sandrah gives me predatory vibes. A feeling like she's very deliberately exploiting her physical beauty and overwhelming presence to prey on anyone even vaguely susceptible for her own use even if it's always nominally consensual.

I don't think that's what Roxanne intends by any means, but that's the feeling I'm getting.

I get that from the "Hey, injured man, let me heal you with my vagina" exchange. Gave me the heebie-jeebies

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If she fucks Edwina, I'm getting out the knives.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brainamp posted:

I've gotten so used to Sandrah ending 99% of conversations with a kiss or sex that I legitimately expected this to end in some horrible poo poo

Oh hey, the thread talking about that weirdo new New Vegas mod gave me the perfect response to this:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Private Speech posted:

I'm looking forward to Xan what with how predatory this thread thinks Sandrah is already :allears:

OH NO

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fighting Trousers posted:

Yeah, but that's modded Xan. In the base game, he's basically not much more than lovely stats and a penchant for doomerism that would make most CSPAM posters say "Dude, you need to get outside more."

His portrait's nice enough. When you have very little to work from, it's something!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mitochondritom posted:

I was interpreting that Sandrah's mother was CHARNAMEs mother and that they are half-siblings and this whole mod takes a really horrible turn, a sort of gotcha this is now an Imoen romance mod sort of turn.

O H N O I hadn't thought of that I hate it I hate it

Or maybe Imoen is the half-sibling and that's why Sandrah never aims to gently caress her.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've gone back over this mess and some Forgotten Realms lore refreshing, and I think I've parsed what's going on a teeny bit better: So I'm betting Mystra is her GRANDmother, or maybe Midnight which is the human who replaced Mystra or however that works. We've got her mother's name, Khalindra. Odds on that being the parent to any of our party, still up in the air. Her SIBLING'S father is almost certainly Bhaal, so the sibling is a Bhaalspawn. I thought for a moment Sandrah might be, but they didn't quite go there.

This is all gonna be deeply weird because I am 100% sure Elminster hosed Mystra at some point. Maybe that's why Sandrah's cool with loving everything and everyone?

It's genuinely hard to pick the actual information out of Sandrah's fuckery.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

She never mentions what happened to her sibling, does she? I just assumed that meant she thought they were dead, given that otherwise she'd have memories of growing up with them, or mentioned they were given up for adoption or something. That's on me for making assumptions and/or skimming over most of the text.

I mean, the sibling is very definitely alive, and possibly Imoen, but I think we're supposed to think they're dead at this point.

Or maybe it's a mystery and it's why she came after us in the first place, to find her long lost sibling! She really seems to like being fuckin vague sometimes even if maybe she shouldn't be. I think it's called "I don't know how to do anything but exposit, so the only way I can progressively feed you information is to arbitrarily not talk about it until a certain point."

poo poo. I don't even own the EE games and I want to play now just... I don't know, as an internal palate cleanser? I have no idea where the hell my copy went either...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vichan posted:

Sandrah is a manipulator

DISLIKE

Vichan posted:

Bjornin might want to dispute that particular fact, Sandrah.

Jesus Christ, Sandrah. What are you doing!? :gonk:

DIS! LIKE!

I could not be more skeeved out if I tried, holy god. If she made him just inexplicably act like an adult, that would be one (still bad) thing, but this is... euughghg

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 25, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if I'm happy that Minsc is safe now or in pain because this is drawing out the "Does Sandrah gently caress a guy who I am not convinced is capable of proper consent?" cliffhanger.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

BG1 and BG2 Minsc are very different characters.

As much as BG2 Minsc amused me, I don't care for the 'is literally mentally a child' interpretation of the character. Versus a guy who's just loud, enthusiastic, and likes his hamster.

But it's not only the interpretation that a lot of mods for 1 use, it seems to be the one that Sandrah is using. Which is making my skin crawl!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If it played Minsc like a consenting adult, it wouldn't be such a big problem, but she basically just had to explain arousal to him and that's part of her process for eventually loving him, that's horrifying.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I was looking at Baldur's Gate mods, and I got the urge to try to figure out what mod does THAT to Dynaheir. Mainly so I can avoid it in the future. Reverse image search is half educational and half really not.

If you think that just looks like a photo, maybe off the cover of an album or something, then... you're not far off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Melua

This is who it is, and it's really keeping my search from producing anything useful! There's a mod I'm pretty sure the Jaheira's from, and it does not have that Dynaheir in it, so I guess it's from something less obvious? Or maybe it's a remix? I am finding other very pale Jaheiras/Dynaheirs though. Also fanart for an... Imoen/Edwin romance?

I think I've found the Bad corner of the internet.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GrayDorian posted:

Ugh, having Jaheira and Dynaheir's portraits changed to generically fashionable white ones in what is already a very monochromatic cast is an odd choice

It's not unusual for an artist to have a hard time with a skin tone that isn't in a certain (light) range. Doesn't mean I have to like it, but I'm not at all surprised it happens even when people try. Take an art journey with me here:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55677-paintbg-introduction-and-samples/

Even otherwise really decent mods have a hard time with darker skin tones. I can see where they tried, but...

Then there's this. This is Dynaheir.

Jaheira!

Art that would be charming if I didn't know the characters involved!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you can only draw white women, maybe don't replace those two portraits while leaving everyone else unaltered? Just a thought.

The mod I linked replaces everybody, but it's got a really bad case of "I know how to paint white skin and inhuman skin and that's it".

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, the contrast between that Moonblade bit and Sandrah is STARK.

How does someone write that Sandrah scene with Xan and not think "Have I created a sexual predator?"

Vichan posted:

Said picture is her original portrait, I believe.

It's also a lot better because it doesn't have a fuckin rifle in it... And it's actually a gith!

This is amazing.

(I can't wait for her to gently caress her way out of us having to fight both Saravok and Irenicus.)

I HATE THAT I CAN'T RESIST CLICKING SPOILERS

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Shar-Teal as a Paladin ... wtf

Yeah I have no idea, what mod did that???

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I have no idea if that actually happens or not, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it does at the rate we're going.

And speaking of Saravok and spoilers, thanks for ruining that bit of mystery, Roxanne. Wanna go ahead and clue us in on the endgame for Throne of Bhaal now or do you need to save that for chapter 5?

But that image is in my head now and I hate it!

I love that she just can't resist looking at the faintest clues about anything and IMMEDIATELY telling us what they mean. It's really great. Who needs an in-depth spoiler-filled walkthrough when you have Sandrah?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
By the way, I did find that Jaheira portrait... sortof. It was billed as an alternative Faldorn portrait!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's another exception in Throne of Bhaal, but it's a fairly unique case, all things considered!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
EX-loving-SCUSE ME? Imoen went slayer in- I-

I don't-

I was going to say something about how she's just getting more and more poorly written but I can't handle this

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was gonna ask if I missed why she keeps saying "besta friend" like a bad Mario impression but I think something ruptured in my brain when she went Slayer of all goddamn things. Seriously?!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NGDBSS posted:

What's with the IWD maps? First noticed it last update, but the current one also uses one from the Trials of the Loremaster.

From what I know, it's hard to get legit new maps in these games because of how they're made. Using ones from other games in the engine isn't the worst solution.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Yep. Every map in the Infinity Engine games was hand-drawn. So most mods that add new areas to BG2 reuse areas from the series or from Icewind Dale.

There actually is one mod I can think of that adds a legit new area or two, but you can tell it's new and doesn't quite gel with the look of the games.

Also I've reinstalled BG1 and modded it up, and I blame this thread for it. Sandrah does not feature.

I haven't found my disks (yes, I have an OLD-SCHOOL copy, the kind that has like six disks) and I don't own EE or I'd be doing this myself. It really makes me want to see what the game actually looked like again without all the Sandrah stank. Usually when I see a LP like this, I can at least recognize the game underneath the mod, but this is... a lot

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jng2058 posted:

So the Slayer thing is kind of obnoxious, but not that annoying to me simply because it actually fixes something that was a problem in the original games, the fact that Imoen being Bhaalspawn in BG2 is pretty much a huge asspull. There was nothing to suggest that was Imoen's background, and a lot of things that contradicted it, especially the fact that Serevok should have been able to sense her the same way he senses CHARNAME. Giving Imoen a glimpse of the Bhaalspawn powers at least makes the revelation of her heritage in BG2 somewhat set up in advance.

What I can't forgive is Sandrah elbowing Vichan out of the way as not only the main character of the game but also as Imoen's best friend. Imoen's known Vichan for all her life, they've been inseparable, and she ran away from home to help keep him safe...and now that she's known Sandrah for like a week, SHE'S her "besta friend"?

gently caress that. drat, this mod pisses me offf.

The slayer isn't a glimpse, even you don't get that poo poo until halfway through BG2! She should have had nightmares and started to get powers and maybe Sarevok mentions her or something. Becoming AVATAR OF BHAAL out of nowhere in BG1 is absolutely bonkers.

But I guess she's Sandrah's BFF, the only friend she has who she doesn't gently caress, so she has to get better poo poo than you do.

(that wouldn't be a bad idea, really. Have her start to get nightmares in BG1 just for foreshadowing. Maybe Sarevok has a line, but it's vague so it makes sense when it's a Reveal in 2.)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 30, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I went to look up some mods and see what was around and ran across something totally by accident.

Innocent newbie: Hey, so the version of your mod here is 1.4, but there's a version in this installer that's 4.0.
Someone on the forum: *very politely worded* Yes, 1.4 is the author's version that was updated last month. The 4.0 is edited by Roxanne to feature Sandrah.

So she just... she just takes other people's mods, edits them to feature Sandrah, and redistributes them unmarked in her installer as if they are the originals??? That's more of a "gently caress no" than I even knew!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tithin posted:

Wait what?

As in, she's updating Sandrah's mod to feature cross-mod banter with those other mods?

Or specifically, she's taking the authors work, and editting them to add in Sandrah seperately?

I'm not sure how the EET installer thing works, never used it, but people saw 4.0 of a mod and 1.4 of a mod in two different places. 1.4 was actually the author of the mod's work. 4.0 was a version Roxanne edited to add Sandrah stuff. It very much seems like number 2 here. They're unlabeled and easy to mistake for an update of the original mod, not just a lovely Sandrah makeover of the thing. I also saw people talking about bugs in a mod and WHOOPS, turns out those bugs aren't in the original, they're in the lovely Sandrah version which is marked by the exact same name as the original mod!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Keldulas posted:

I suspect that part of the reason why Roxanne can do all this poo poo and not get her poo poo removed by a moderator (since she's appropriating other people's mods and causing confusion) is because the modding community for the original Baldur's Gates is really pretty dead at this point.

Roxanne just adds a really confusing layer of 'really, lady?'

No, she does it by having her own mod site, from what I can tell. Who's gonna take her down when it's her site?

https://baldursextendedworld.com/

Seriously, here it is.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 31, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tithin posted:

The layout on this site is awful, elements underlap stuff that's already on there, so god forbid you want to see anything.

That being said, if she's doing it on her own site, short of lodging a cease and desist there's very little anyone can do to stop her.

It strikes me as profoundly lovely thing to do though, to take someones work, gently caress it, and try to present it as the original author's work.

edit: christ, do not read her forums

As someone who has mods for other games out there with extremely open permissions, I'd still be loving mad if she did something I made that way. It's bad enough getting bug reports for stuff caused by user error, I can't imagine getting reports for bugs caused by some other rear end in a top hat messing with my poo poo and redistributing it.

Personally, my favorite post on the forums is someone going "Hey can I play this Sandrah mod WITHOUT SANDRAH?" Roxanne has not responded to it for some reason. Another one says "Can I NOT romance Sandrah?" Roxanne says it's possible, but the user was complaining that it didn't work. She said it was a bug, but it sounds more like a feature of her writing to me.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I would like to point out that one of the story beats of the Gavin romance, if you choose to do it, is to have the PC demand that Gavin prove his love BY CUTTING OFF HIS FINGER AND THIS IS NOT A DEAL BREAKER.

I'M SORRY??????

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Underdark segment really causes some romance modders to go weird in particular. There's a Valygar romance out there and it goes weird in the Underdark too. Not THAT weird, but weird.

This Gavin lady has other problems though, jesus.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't trust novelizations of games. Never forget the Torment one immediately naming the Nameless One, LOL

By the way, spotted something that made me laugh on the Beamdog forums. Someone named "WithinAmnesia" asking where all the active Baldur's Gate modders are... and then getting stomped into the earth by not just other modders but also forum moderation. Because they work with Roxanne and are doing the "steal someone else's mod, make their own, name it the same thing" thing. Specifically they were accepted onto the modding team of Balduran's Seatower and then made their own with Roxanne with the handmade assets from the original and ONLY their names on it. Maybe they wrote Jen'Lig!

(As long and theatrically apologetic as their "woe is me" post is on the thread, I notice the Roxanne/WithinAmnesia mod is still up and still credited to them and them alone. Is that one of the ones you have installed, Vichan?)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vichan posted:

I don't have Balduran's Seatower installed, no. But going by what people said in the other thread we're not really missing much.

Oh? That about the actual mod or Sandrah's?

I remember thinking that Concho- Okay, look, they spell it wrong from the actual Welsh, I definitely remember that, I remember thinking that CONNOR was a really bad mod in the older LP. I now miss him.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vichan posted:

Sandrah's version of Balduran's Seatower is apparently worse than the original.

Well, I'd assume that. I just haven't heard anything about the original other than her bullshit. I've been out of the BG loop too long.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That...

ugh

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah sure gently caress the butler, why not

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe she'll run out of ideas and it will descend into just an org- ahahaha as if it isn't already that, we're doomed

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I would be curious how she deals with Keldorn's personal quest if there was any chance the story would allow "good" characters to ever disagree with her.

Prediction: She suggests an open marriage and bangs Keldorn and his wife and the wife's lover at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Do you think maybe Shar-Teel was supposed to be a Blackguard? She's clearly not Paladin material, and that's a new class kit in EE, isn't it?