Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

What is this :stare:

What is this :catstare:

What is this :staredog:

Goddamn i haven't been involved with the BG community in like 10 years and this brings all the worst kind of memories right back. It's great the worst the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:suicide:

No, wait

:commissar:

Vichan posted:

This is from the BG1NPC mod and the first in a series of banters peppered throughout the game. Sandrah mod expands on this by giving Imoen the 'scribe scrolls' ability.

MagusofStars posted:

This is an ability from the BG2 expansion and isn't intended to be available until you're at a level appropriate to enter the BG2 expansion content (aka "like level 15 rather than our current level 3").

:emptyquote:

Ah, Infinity Engine modding community, it's like i never left you.

Private Speech posted:

there's not that much content though, maybe a dozen banters or so.

:allears:

For anyone not familiar with This poo poo, it's worth pointing out that "maybe a dozen banters" is still a fuckload more than most any of the original BG2 characters had to say outside the PC romances (and original BG1 basically didn't have this at all in a meaningful manner).

Oh, of course there's a third level character who just comes with a vorpal sword and the best leather armour you could get in the vanilla game and a bunch of bullshit attached, why the gently caress wouldn't there be.

Vichan posted:

I hope my suffering is appreciated.

Y...es, "appreciated", that it s a word that could potentially be used to describe it.

I'm actually somewhat surprised by how much i hate this mod already after seeing so little of it. :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo it's so full of bullshit!

Vichan posted:

All that being said I want to throw a question your way, are there any NPCs specifically that you want to see Sandrah interact with?

Edwin kind of deserves all the crap you can throw at him so :j:

Well, the bickering adventuring party was a reasonably enjoyable addition at least. Though perhaps it's just that i'm desperate for content that doesn't involve someone deciding to hijack the entire encounter...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It just never ends! I feel i repeat myself, but :barf:

Maybe we should all just get together and write a better megamod. Awful's Gate, anyone :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

tithin posted:

It's incredible just how much work's gone into this mod

and it's astounding just how awful it is.

:agreed:

I'm trying to tell myself it's understandable that someone who's spent the time to master all the technical fiddling that goes into something like this (and it is a lot of fiddling!) hasn't had time to master writing stories and characters as well.

Unfortunately, that does not improve the quality of the story or character :j:

quote:

god wasn't there that one tob mod that made irenicus a *romanceable party member* ?

There is at least one that lets you recruit him, but i don't think it's a romance.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Imoen didn't deserve this.

That's basically bgii.exe

(but yes, also modding.txt)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Never thought i'd say it, but it turns out Edwin really doesn't deserve all the poo poo you could possibly throw at him.

Vichan posted:

I hope you guys are okay with me posting so much non-Sandrah content, I know they're not the main draw or anything but I really want to show the contrast between them and the absolute clusterfuck that is Sandrah Saga.

Absolutely. It's actually nice to have a refresher between the Oh Will You Look At How Perfect She Is moments which, to be frank, are getting harder and harder to actually read.

Fighting Trousers posted:

*shudder* I have never understood the appeal he has to a certain subset of BG fangirls.

Xan is great because no matter how down you feel, he's always feeling worse, so you know things aren't as bad as they could be. :haibrow:

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I thought Edwin was mostly a cartoonish inept buffoon, not some weird gently caress talking about "dark lusts" or whatever.

He's absolutely an inept buffoon, but he is also a weird gently caress (and a red wizard of Thay, which is very much not a group of nice people).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Goddamn how do you update so fast :stare:

If the new release works anything like the old, you could probably find the source of the :doh: whitewashed Dynaheir :doh: by searching the game folder for .bmp files (or i guess .pngs if the remake allows those?). Whichever folder (other than override) has the portrait in it would belong to the mod that installed it.

Though, given the size of the install, there'll probably be a lot of portraits to sift through.

Vichan posted:

Do you guys thinking installing an 'all strongholds unlocked' mod will break anything? I really want to get as much content out of this as I can.

I can't promise anything with the remake, but it really shouldn't. The only thing that needs to change would be removing the "if PC's class is..." check in the relevant dialogue files.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeslick is by far my favorite forgotten NPC. I kinda wanna see what the NPC mod does with him, and I suspect there's little to no Sandrah content involving him.

:hf: Yeslick is a cool guy. I brought him in my very first BG1 run.

Also :sbahj: i hate this mod more with every update and

wologar posted:

The Assassination of Eldoth by the Coward Roxanne.

this would make a good alternate title for the thread.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Imoen feeling her heritage before BG2 pulls it out of its rear end is the one aspect of this i can't hate, although it is of course immediately ruined by how it's done, the fact that Sandrah exists, and the whole thing being part of the Sandrah-induced random romance with a random shopkeeper. As far as BG1's story is concerned, it's (to make a painfully nerdy comparison) kind of like having Krillin going super sayan somewhere in the original Dragonball storyline.

And few things about this garbage fire of a story have baffled me as much as getting, or needing, Elminster and an actual loving deity to personally oversee the healing of this random guy who's still alive.

But hey! At least Yeslick is here now.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I do like that Ajantis comes with a personal piece of gear that's just "kind of nice" in vanilla terms (if hideously useless compared to the Mod Loot).

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I am most offended by Imoen being baffled by the word "orphanage" immediately after suggesting that she'll found a "home for orphans."

17 int. Grew up in a library. :downsgun:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

At a quick look, i found a thread for it in what looks like a general EE modding subforum, last touched in 2018. It doesn't have its own subforum or anything, so it's not an officially endorsed "SHS product", just a user post in The Place Where Users Post Their Mods.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Private Speech posted:

It was definitely available from the files section of the website as well, and I think still is. Though I dunno about the support thread.

Yes, but it's posted in a section that allows anyone with an account to upload content freely. It's hosted by shs more the way a random youtube video is hosted by google, not officially reviewed and supported.

Vichan posted:

Interesting portrait.

I believe "Sir BillyBob" is (one of) the maker(s) of the mod and that is the avatar they used on the forums at the time. It's an adaption of a P&P module of some kind i think?

Coran is a dumbass, but at least he's honest about it. Maybe he just looks better by comparison with Sandrah running around, but i can't quite dislike him.

Also, had no idea Gavin's author was the source of that much drama. I seem to remember them acting reasonably reasonable back in the day. Don't know if i should be sad i missed it or glad i got out when i did :sweatdrop:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think i ever did the thieves' guild bit more than once, but the "I'm a stray, go back to sleep" bit is one of my favourite exchanges from BG1. :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

There's so loving many of them and they're all loving stupid aaaaaaaa

I've run out of things to even say about this clusterfuck but at least being the guinea pig for all these dumbass abilities is more dignified than what the actual mod content has in store for Edwin.

...it might be kind of fun to make a cleric of Sharess who's completely ace and just in it for the cats...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Just when you think you're getting used to the idiocy, of course it gets more idiotic.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Elminster this, Elminster that! Give me two thousand years and a pointy hat and I'll kick his arse!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

Now I'm picturing Sandrah as some sort of malicious mod-based internet worm that forcibly inserts herself into all games installed on your hard drive.

Planescape: Torment
Sandrah immediately joins you when you start the game and gives you a multi-page plot exposition explaining who the main antagonist is before you've even left the Mortuary. Oh, and she's now a Fighter/Cleric/Psionicist and Dak'kon learned everything he knows from her. When you try to talk to someone at a tavern, it triggers an event that describes a lesbian threesome involving Sandrah, Annah, and the Lady of Pain in excruciating detail.

Let's not even pretend she wouldn't :j:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:guillotine:

quote:

I do quite like this one though. :3:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LargeHadron posted:

Oh man, someone has to write Inquisitor Karen into the story.

Only if her critical hit quote is "Let me speak to your manager!"

Vichan posted:

EDIT: I've been using imgur links up to this point but lpix might be the better option, I'll slowly but surely try and replace the links from past updates. This also gives me the chance to clean up some of the images, especially in earlier updates.

It's up to you but you shouldn't need to replace the old images even if you start using lpix for future updates - they should get archived just fine regardless of host.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Inquisitor Karen strikes again!

Ramc posted:

been playing through BG2 and it seems sort of odd to play Edwin as a *total* buffoon when he is like bar none the nastiest arcane caster you can get because of his bonus spell amulet

He is absolutely a buffoon, though, even if he happens to be a dangerous one.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Have you checked the regdates of all the posters in this thread :ghost:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

That laughter keeps throwing me off. I get that it's supposed to be a "hee hee" sound but the way it's written i just keep feeling like he's greeting people a little too eagerly.

quote:

This makes more sense when it's Mystra doing it (i mean, for a very specific definition of "sense"), but nevertheless, :guillotine: :guillotine: :guillotine:

It's so bad :cry: and i can't even imagine how stupid it's going to get once we reach the parts of the series where the party's supposed to hit legendary shitkicker levels.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vichan posted:

Did I mention she just got her first level 5 spell slot?

So that's cleric level 9 right? As a multi-classed character?? :eyepoop: I kind of figured she didn't have sixth level spells yet, but that's closer than i expected. I remember vanilla BG1 TotSC capping exp at like 160k total so you're probably sitting at like 3-4 times that by now?

On the other hand, at least it's levels more appropriate for all the loot this mod hands out :imunfunny:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Durlag's tower was i think my favourite part of BG1 (and probably the series as a whole). It was a cool story and there was some great tension in creeping through those hallways full of traps and bullshit... with a party constrained by the og SotSC exp cap, of course.

I don't think it's inherently a bad idea to have an npc that can just do puzzles for you if the player doesn't want to be bothered - a party is supposed to be a team effort and nothing says Charname has to be the only one to do this crap! - but of course Sandrah is still Bullshit™.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

All Sandrah-related utter idiocy aside, i do love that the broody edgelord has a sword called Twinkle. loving Twinkle. And everyone just accepts that.

Twinkle.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I like the swords with misspelled descriptions and icons that don't even attempt to fit in with the usual pencil drawing style. A+ quest rewards.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vichan posted:

Don't know if I mentioned it before but declining to work for Eltan causes him to run up and kill us. Cold.

I know this is Sandrah's Gate: Tales of the Sandrah Coast but even without mods this part of BG1 is The Literal Worst. This game isn't great for trying to roleplay, but at least most of it gives you some freedom to try and talk and/or fight with various characters. This time, it just straight up railroads you to do this one quest or cutscene die.

I still remember seeing that, reloading and trying to survive his attack (he casts Flamestrike iirc) by chugging various potions and finally even positioning Charname on another floor to initiate dialogue with another character - but no, even if you can take the hit or prevent him from landing it on the main character, his script straight up has "kill player 1" in it, :atlus: you cannot escape.

Basically if it's Baldur's Gate and your name starts with El, gently caress right off :suicide:

Breagar is pretty cool though.

Not gonna lie, when you got the note with the N and then cut straight to Noober, i kind of wondered for a moment...

Vichan posted:

I apologise for rambling but this poo poo is so infuriating that I had to vent.

No need for apologies, and you're showing way more restraint than i'd ever have managed. I think i might have lasted five minutes before solving the problem with liberal application of ctrl-Y and the Uninstall spell.

And i'm not even convinced ctrl-Y would work on her

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vichan posted:

I don't know why but I'm constantly baffled by how bad Imoen's dialogue is. Did no-one proofread this?

You are the only person to ever make it this far.

quote:

Who needs Alaundo when we have Sandrah? :smuggo:

...and i'm beginning to worry for your mental state :v:

If i wanted to get involved in conspiracies, i also would make up an alias to kover my as... and Zeus H. Christ i hate Sandrah so much :suicide: she really does ruin the entire loving game.

I'm not fond of having npcs commenting on Gorion's letter. Why are they reading Charname's personal mail again?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Many mods assume that the PC has some kind of visible reaction when reading the letter, or tells the party about it afterwards.

I mean quite a few people would have a visible reaction upon reading the last words of their recently-murdered parental figure. But either way i'm not fond of that kind of assumption about the pc's actions in a game where the player's supposed to make their own decisions. Charname could have any number of reasons to keep the lid on from ~it's my burden to carry~ to "it's none of these meatshields' business".

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

A dialogue option where the PC can choose to share the info with the party or keep it to themselves would have been fitting, I suppose.

Ye.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

The information's gonna come out within like five minutes anyway. Villains stop being coy about it after this reveal.

Even less reason to deny the player the choice, then.

quote:

It's nice to see them address the possibilities that exist in the setting. It really irks me in 2 when you have this "someone was murdered" bit and have to take action but no one even considers the option of asking or raising the victim... and that is a high level game! You might have multiple people in the party who can raise the dead at that point, completely legit, no Sandrah hax abilities needed!

"Could you un-busy him please?" is a pretty good line.

As i recall, that holy symbol of Talos is something you get as a very high level cleric in ToB? Really not something that should be showing up in BG1.

:lmao: 156 poison damage. That's nice.

I think Arrness' portrait is one of the villains from Dragonlance, Takhishis or something like that? Real not-evil looking character, that.

Bugs aside, i liked this a whole lot more than the Sandrah sections :saddowns:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I mean, I don't see what being able to lie would add if the truth immediately comes out

It would add the ability to role play, in a role playing game. This is the single biggest reveal in the whole series and a huge opportunity for the player to define their character (and their relationship with their companions), so if you were going to spend time and effort writing npc reactions then this would be the place for it.

(And it's not even a lie, it's just... not letting various people read a personal letter.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I absolutely love how Sandrah just kicks npcs from the party when she's done with them.

And by "love" i mean "words cannot describe my hatred for this mod at this point"

But on the flip side, the delivery on "Dreadfully sorry, but i'm afraid... i'm gonna have to kill ya" is so good.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You've kept an impressive and occasionally worrying and painful pace through this thing. Some rest (and reprieve from Sandrah's bullshit) is well deserved.

I'm not sure how this mod can get worse from here, but i'm sure it will manage somehow. :imunfunny:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh gently caress off.

tithin posted:

What is the point of this other than the mod author punishing you for making a choice that they wouldn't?

Honestly at this point i'm just gonna assume it's some kind of fetish thing.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That was not a very long break!

I've never seen this before so i'm somewhat interested to see where it goes, but uh. Perhaps less so knowing that it will be tainted by Roxanne's bungling. :negative:

I like the option to just talk down the encounters, but that key ring icon hella sticks out. And, it's weird seeing Imoen as a non-playable character. Even if you did just canonically dualclass, you'll gain exp for that new class faster in the party, you know!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's interesting they try to integrate Imoen's dualclassing into the story, but i'd have been pretty miffed if i came here with her at like 5 thief/7 mage and some rear end in a top hat told me she sucks too much to join me in the expansion. They obviously can't take mods and such into account but is there any reaction from the game if you simply changed her class, since even vanilla bg1 allows it?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Man. I may not be sold on all this writing, but so much new content with relatively minimal Sandrah almost makes me want to play the game again.

Midnight Voyager posted:

You are missing backstory that we will have to pry twice to get to.

Hint: What things do gamergaters hate?

The obvious thing that comes to mind is "women" but that doesn't explain everything.

Please tell me she just says she likes to shower regularly and they took that personally :j:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

This expansion seems to have a lot of equipment that's like "does a thing, but more so for X type of character" and i think that's a bit interesting, but also feels like someone just realised they could do that and went way overboard with it.

(Far more tolerable than Sandrah, of course.)

Still seems like a pretty decent adventure.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

If you can't turn these into a defensive pleated skirt, i'm gonna have words.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

WHAT? MYSTRA? OH COME ON! The scene with the vision was really surprising and cool and ominous and you gotta take a dump after it???? BUZZ OFF SANDRAH

I think in the original games, you only directly encounter one god, once, at the tail end of ToB at a point where the party's approaching power levels where they might legitimately draw the interest of higher powers regardless of heritage. And if i'm not misremembering, he wasn't even supposed to show up because the gods are meant to keep their fingers out of the whole Bhaalspawn mess?

And on a different note,

that is not a skirt and i am officially Mad t:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't feel "beast" is so much a response to The Horny as it is the way the universe is being rewritten to accommodate and enable it.

...but i do think there may be some truth to a male character being less likely to be described with the same word, but only because in that case it might call to mind something more brutal and violent. But a male character doing the same kind of poo poo would absolutely be every bit as bad and deserving of the title, and i'd probably hate him even more than i do Sandrah.

(yes hello in this 30 page derail about my internalised sexism, i will- :commissar: )