Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
An LP of my favourite game ever, with an obnoxious Mary Sue NPC megamod? This sounds amazing, really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
These conversations are coming quite rapidly, did you install the banter accelerator component in BG1NPC?

Haiass is tolerable at least. I remember him from Vorgen's old megamod LP from a few years back. A shame that never finished.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Roxanne never found the peaceful solution to Marl when they played BG1 themselves.

Makes me wonder what other encounters this mod changes. Its been a fun read so far.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Just casually dropping Imoen being the PCs sister into the conversation like it was some tiny thing revealed ages ago. Its getting ridiculous now.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
loving hell, has Roxanne even stolen content from Sword Coast Strategems, of all things? That section from the last update where you talked your way past Kaishas with help from Maralee and Delainy/Durlyle is literally, word for word, from that mods Werewolf Island component, only with Sandrah butting in as usual with one of the correct dialogue options. In the vanilla game, you have to kill Kaishas no matter what. Its kind of impressive just how much effort Roxanne's put in to stealing other peoples work for this mega-mod.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 18, 2021

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
That's where its from. The Sandrah content was surprisingly low-key for Durlag's Tower, I was expecting long essays where she shows off her all-knowing genius every couple of minutes.

And those Romantic Encounters sound amazing, holy poo poo.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I don't think Zhalimar is some random mercenary if Sarevok is calling him the "first of the faithful" somehow. Shows a little glimpse of just how much of a cult Sarevok has built around himself.

God, I love little bits of world-building like that.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Wow, at that reaction to screwing up Brage. I don't think I've ever seen a single character unleash that much magic at once. Even liches with the Tactics mod went easier on you than that, Sandrah is the literal worst.

Congrats on beating BG1, I can't wait to see what happens in Siege, really looking forward to what kind of bullshit Sandrah pulls there.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, one of them (Cyric, for the curious) shows up to get a closer look at you, since at that point you are probably the 2nd strongest mortal in the entire world, after the final boss. They even outright state that Ao has forbidden the other gods from intervening, which is apparently quite an unusual thing to happen.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I know it wont happen, but I'm hoping for the final boss of ToB to cast Imprisonment on her after getting tired of all her plot spoiling poo poo. :v:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
This is definitely the first LP on this site thats covered SoD, unless you count playthroughs from the annual Ironman thread. Every other LP thats finished BG1 long predated the release of SoD.

Of course this mod has a way to side with Caelar, which is a reasonable thing on its own (To be honest, I kind of wish it was an option in the vanilla game, but it skips the big climactic battle thats also the literal title of the expansion so I get why it isn't possible) but Sandrah has to ruin the whole idea by spoiling the plot, the silly tart.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
The worst part of SoD is honestly that weird, awful fog effect that slowly covers whichever map you're on.

I want to look at the scenery, its all gorgeous and it just gets covered with all that grey fog. Its really annoying.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Is the bit at the end there with Maevar the transition to BG2 from the Big World Project? I don't think thats part of the vanilla ending.

I think the whole Skie getting murdered by David Warner plotline would land a bit better if she was recruitable as a party member, instead of Safana, who can still be an NPC in the coalition forces because she's needed for that spy sidequest.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Ugh, the whole point of freeing Hendak is that he kills Lehtinan in single combat as payback. (Can Lehtinan ever win that fight? Or is he always doomed to a karmic death?) Its a satisfying payoff to the whole mini-quest, so of course Roxanne had to give Sandrah the glory.

And lol at those portrait changes, Lulu as Nalia is amazing.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Modders really love that purple dragon from Ascension don't they? There's been 2 of them already.

And this Boolerion subplot is really odd, wtf Roxanne.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I think Marina is a part of the vanilla game, but there's definite changes from the Rogue Rebalancing mod (An absolute must install for me, personally. I've been using it for almost 15 years, and have never considered not using it), the "Thieve's Cant" bit is from there. The little bit with Gaelan Bayle's fence and his dagger is from that mod too.

Nice to see Sandrah jumping ahead of the plot again, as usual. You almost get used to reading it after a while. Have we even heard of anyone called Aran yet? Her pretending to recognise Mae'Var from the ambush is laughable too, even ignoring her fleeing the fight. It was a dark, misty night and they all wore hoods and cloaks. Even Superman would struggle to see any facial detail in that situation, never mind some random cleric.

And I think that whole town/gnoll thing is referenced from the alignment part of character creation.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 26, 2021

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Solitair posted:

What's the best mod to fix there not being any good rogue party members in BG2?

I'm not sure about any mod for specific NPCs, but there's Level 1 NPCs if you want to customise the NPCs to something more your liking, for example making Yoshimo a Fighter/Thief instead of a Bounty Hunter. SCS has a component that has a very similar function, and you could probably ignore every other component if you just wanted the freedom to custom build the NPCs as you like.

Although I'm not sure the rogue NPCs really need buffing to be honest. Haer'Dalis is a Blade, thats a very good class, and 3 others are Thief/Mages in some way. I think they're fine as they are.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, Angelo wasn't involved in the murder of Rieltar. Sarevok either tricks you into doing it, or gets dopplegangers to do it disguised as you to frame you. The rest of that NPC mod seems harmless enough so far though, the "Imoen" bit was fun.

Sandrah's treatment of Keldorn is very grating, an Amnian Paladin being distrusting of Mystra makes a lot of sense, theres a lot of very evil wizards out there after all. And he's been a Paladin for a very long time, I'm fairly sure he knows evil when he sees it.

The Lich in the Pit of the Faithless is due to your level being quite high, btw. BG2 has level dependent monster spawns, the higher level you are, the stronger the enemies you face. This specific one can have a Lich, 2 Skeleton Warriors and 2 Greater Mummies as its hardest spawn. There are only four monster spawn points that can potentially have that combo in the entire game, its surprisingly rare. With a mod like SCS, or Tactics back in the day, its a brutal encounter to face if you don't know its there, and on occasion, even if you are expecting it.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 2, 2021

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Mystra's only been around for twenty years - Keldorn has children almost that old. People absolutely should be skeptical of Mystra, especially considering what a dramatic break her personality and alignment is from her predecessors, neither of whom cared about good or evil.

I hadn't even considered that the current Mystra has a different personality from her predecessors, although it makes sense with her being an ascended former mortal. Just out of interest, how different is the Midnight version of Mystra to her predecessors?

Edit. Wow, that quote box is vivid in dark mode.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 2, 2021

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
What's wrong with Necromancy as a magic school, on a purely objective level though? Does Divine healing and resurrection not count as Necromancy?

Like theres no moral justification for Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, but Skull Trap turning a skull into a magic bomb isn't really evil, its just fancy recycling. :v:

Ramc posted:

Shar is like a big deal evil deity iirc, right?

I think Shar is pretty much the oldest evil thing in the entire universe. She is almost as old as creation itself IIRC.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
It's "Ho there wanderer! Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." :argh: Bloody mod can't even get that right.

Sandrah is as awful as ever, and now the Beast is after Valygar too. How long before she goes after Mazzy?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
What the gently caress was that? That entire thing was bonkers, even by Roxanne's normal standards.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
So who's in Watcher's Keep if Demogorgon is in the Nine Hells for some reason?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Regarding Aran showing up after the alternative routes, I think it must be a bug, perhaps a mod conflict somewhere.

Valen being an NPC brings back memories, that really is an old mod.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Hahahahaha Jesus Christ, so Sandrah's basically unkillable now? This is breathtakingly awful.

And I'm fairly sure in vanilla BG2 its stated that the gods are explicitly forbidden from intervening in the PCs actions by Ao himself, so if Vichan for whatever reason felt the need, or was required to murder Sandrah to complete his destiny, then it's going to happen and Mystra can do jack poo poo to prevent it. But Vichan hasn't been the main character for ages now, so got to keep our precious Mary Sue alive.

Even Chloe looks restrained in comparison, which says so, so much.

And Yoshimo does own, what a way to go. I forgot how good that death is, its totally pre-destined but he shows absolutely no fear at all.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 31, 2021

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

RelentlessImp posted:

So I was streaming a test run of the new install after excising Sandrah and decided to go to Ulcaster Ruins...

...I've never seen so many dead dogs.

Is that the same Tenya from the fishermen sidequest? The Priestess of Umberlee?

And heres a little something I noticed during the hell trials. (Option 5 here) Even in a section of the game that is literally all about Vichan's soul, Sandrah still has to be the strongest and most important person in the room. :rolleyes:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I hope Sandrah declares war on the gods and just gets yeeted off the Prime by one of the gods, like Torm for example. Would serve her right.

Edit. ToB is by far the worst part of the story imo, you can tell it was rushed and that bits were cut. Watcher's Keep is decent though.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 12, 2021

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Good luck with Ascension. I reckon Sandrah betrays the party at the last minute and takes all the Bhaal essence for herself.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Oh my loving god, that was a travesty. Its scarcely believable that it can be this bad, but it somehow keeps getting worse.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Oh my god, that was awful to read. Its just terrible writing all the way through. It must have been even worse to endure playing through.

Sandrah being arrogant enough to screw every other god over, and go against explicit direct orders from Ao (A God whose power is so vast it almost makes Shar or Talos look like kobolds in comparison) himself and somehow get away with it with literally zero consequences is just obscene. Surely Ao could just smite her or remove her divinity or something.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Hahaha the map where Bane and Torm fought each other is stolen from Pillars of Eternity. Its the Temple of Hylea. Roxanne just grabs whatever strikes her fancy it seems.

Also, isnt Elminster really old, like 1,000 years old or something? I know hes definitely older than Gorion.

Congrats on getting to the end of this. Its been great fun to read.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
An amazing lp of an amazingly terrible, albeit technically brilliant, mod. As reluctant as I am to praise Roxanne, there aren't many people who could produce something of this scale with the IE, and to have it mostly work as well as it does really is an impressive achievement. The story is truly awful though, just incredibly bad at every turn.

Congratulations on finishing such a marathon LP, Vichan.