Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Oh boy, hitting the ground running with my "favorite" BG Dialogue Mod sin: character assassinating poor Imoen. I swear, there does not seem to be a single mod author who knows how to write Imoen in a non-terrible manner and it's frustrating as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

JohnKilltrane posted:

I was surprised when we saw her stats - based on the sort of mod this is I was expecting her to have broken numbers across the board, with at least one 19 or 20. Then I got to her gear. Whelp.

Almost certainly a fig leaf so the mod author can argue she's reasonably balanced against her absurd equipment. And if they don't get boosted to high heaven anyway as part of her questline, I'll eat my hat.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Imoen (in BG1) is an underdeveloped character who happens to be your sister and is the only NPC to stick by you thick and thin, no matter what atrocities/miracles you commit. I can get why modders want to flesher her out a bit

though a lot of them took it too far, I guess

I think another part of her popularity is the contrast she provides. Baldur's Gate is a dark series. Even the humor tends toward the gallows sort. Imoen in BG1 is one of the few genuinely good-natured party members in vanilla who maintains her optimism against the increasingly dreary circumstances the party finds themselves in without quite crossing over into being over-bearingly saccharine like Alora. Since Forgotten Realms is the LotR ripoff setting, we can think of her as the Sam to your Frollo (at least in vanilla), and that has an appeal for a lot of people.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I imagine if you were foolish enough to install Sandrah, Saeralith, and Chloe at the same time, BG2 becomes a three-way race to see which of them can suck all the oxygen out of Faerun through sheer :words: first.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Fighting Trousers posted:

She ruined the Marl encounter at Feldepost's?!? The gently caress, lady?

Seriously. Can't wait for dream sequences to written off as "Had a weird dream, anyway back to Sandrah!"

I was at least expecting her to tell Marl off herself about his taking out his loss on complete strangers. To just completely REMOVE such a tone-setting moment entirely... yeah, this has definitely become her story, can't have any of that pesky deconstruction and self-introspection getting in the way of the Wunderkin's Journey, huh?

And as has been bugging me for a while, I made peace with her usurping the narrative wholesale, but she does it while also blatantly script-reading. We aren't even near Nashkell and she's already given us the Branwen quest solution!

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

cheesetriangles posted:

I like how Jen'lig has some actually enjoyable writing not amazing but serviceable and it stands out in such contrast.

Makes the whole "Want Jen'lig? Must have Sandrah! Also, no removing either ever or else you lose Jen'lig forever" conditions seem much more cynically manipulative on the part of the mod author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Again, the Xvart village is supposed to be a sobering deconstructive moment. You do what you always do when attacked by trash mobs, there's no impact on your reputation or paladin/ranger status or anything, but the moment the chief calls you out is supposed to get you to think a bit about how death follows your murderhobo avatars wherever they go. It's all part of the overall theme of critically examining D&D Player Characters and the reality of the impact they would have on their world.

But the Wonder Child must remain morally pure! So here's a quick retcon to explain it all away as those dastardly environmental anarchist terrorists Shadow Druids brainwashing the poor xvarts, moral dilemma resolved, all hail the conquering heroes!