Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I met this little old lady at a dog park a few years ago who had one of these bichons or whatever and she had named it “Mr. Pancakes” and I think that may be the best dog name I heard until my neighbor got this goofy golden lab and named it “Waffles!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
several people have asked and no one has answered -

what the gently caress is up with that eye crust?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

1redflag posted:

I met this little old lady at a dog park a few years ago who had one of these bichons or whatever and she had named it “Mr. Pancakes” and I think that may be the best dog name I heard until my neighbor got this goofy golden lab and named it “Waffles!”

It was a lovely dog.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Dunno, all dogs secrete it. My dog has these enormous ropey black eye goobers on a regular basis, but his eye fur is pristine. Why? Because I take care of my loving dog and don’t let it wallow in it’s own filth.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tato posted:

several people have asked and no one has answered -

what the gently caress is up with that eye crust?

It's not crust, it's tear stain, virtually every dog gets it to some degree but because of a Bichon's eye shape and the density of fur around their eyes it becomes more obvious and prevalent and is avoidable to some degree, cleaning the poo poo from the hair around their eyes is common but if you think it's some gross deal-breaker on the breed then that probably means you take poo poo hygienic care of your own dog because every breed under the sun has its own gross drawbacks.

When I did my vet tech interning the breeds with the single highest rate of crusty eye rear end poo poo were droopy ones with Golden Retrievers being some of the ones with the most common discharge issues.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's not crust, it's tear stain, virtually every dog gets it to some degree but because of a Bichon's eye shape and the density of fur around their eyes it becomes more obvious and prevalent and is avoidable to some degree, cleaning the poo poo from the hair around their eyes is common but if you think it's some gross deal-breaker on the breed then that probably means you take poo poo hygienic care of your own dog because every breed under the sun has its own gross drawbacks.

When I did my vet tech interning the breeds with the single highest rate of crusty eye rear end poo poo were droopy ones with Golden Retrievers being some of the ones with the most common discharge issues.

How lovely

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Golden Retrievers are generally some of the most hosed up dogs I saw healthwise, it's not wonder they tend to die young. Those dogs get utterly hosed up and Golden Retriever owners almost always let the dog run around in filth and poo poo and don't come in for enough checkups. I dunno wtf it is with Golden Retriever owners. Those dogs seem to die by the bushel. It's jacked up. It's worse than Pit owners for pure negligence.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

if you love the eye crust so much why don't you marry it?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I too do not care for those kinds of dogs, but I wish no harm or misfortune to befall them.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
BAD DOG!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

1redflag posted:

I once ran across an ID tag for a dog named Sparkles Von Glitterpup.

Never saw the dog itself though, so I don't know if it was fitting.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

christmas boots posted:

I once ran across an ID tag for a dog named Sparkles Von Glitterpup.

Never saw the dog itself though, so I don't know if it was fitting.

The dog was a terrorist.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

A lovey swarm

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
get a pit bull op

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The dog was a terrorist.

"We have prepared the suicide squad, Abu Wooftar. They await your review."
"I can't. The Pomeranian Puppy Brigade? I... I just can't."
"Very well. Attaaaaaaaaaack! NO YOU LITTLE IDIOTS, JUMP IN THEIR LAPS AND EXPLODE! AND EXPLODE! AAAAAAND!"
"Fate goes against us today, brother."
"poo poo. Now I'm cold. Is that what they were for?"
*so much dog side-eye it wraps around to the other side of the dog*

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

These kind of dogs are not only Malteses, there are also Shih Tzus, Lasha Apsos, etc. Dogs like the Lasha Apso were literally BRED to be guard/watchdogs, so they are naturally less inclined to trust strangers. Couple that with:

1. A large, forced group setting like apartment living
2. Probably not enough exercise, even for such small dogs, leading to neurotic behavior
3. The biggest one of all, NOT TRAINING OR SOCIALIZING THE POOR loving DOG AT ALL

And you end up with a nightmare neighbor of a dog, usually accompanied by a nightmare of an owner. I grew up in apartments and assuming they aren't actively acting rabid, nothing sets off my "cross the street to avoid this dog" meter more than seeing an Ewok breed. Even the pit bulls tend to be trained better because most of their owners realize they are walking liabilities.

Disclaimer: Not all dogs etc., two of my best dog bros in the past were a friend's Maltese/Bichon mix and my grand aunt's Lasha.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Threads about dogs are actually worse than threads about politics because people can occasionally change their mind about their lovely political beliefs

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dr. Quarex posted:

Threads about dogs are actually worse than threads about politics because people can occasionally change their mind about their lovely political beliefs

Threads about dogs are extremely bad because people apply this insane bloodlust to some poor animal that doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
We love sea bugs unconditionally though. Says a lot if you don't think too hard about it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Waterbed Wendy posted:

We love sea bugs unconditionally though. Says a lot if you don't think too hard about it.

Who wouldn't. Crab is delicious. Wonky looking mouth parts, though.

Seen my scissors, anyone? Gotta cut the crusties away from my dog's eyes.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Weka posted:

I too live on a few acres of land and I have a little white fluffy dog. It's very stupid but thankfully not as stupid as my neighbor who uses acres as a measure of distance.

Lmao

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Threads about dogs are the worst because people try to make jokes while other posters fall over themselves weeping and crying, accusing everyone else in the thread of being a dog murderer.

This doesn’t happen in threads about pizza or Nickelodeon’s Doug.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Tato posted:

Threads about dogs are the worst because people try to make jokes while other posters fall over themselves weeping and crying, accusing everyone else in the thread of being a dog murderer.

Do dogs like catupiry? Squeezy cheeze anyway, it better. No onions, no grapes, no chocolate. Nope, dogs can't have Brazilian pizza. It would murder them.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I know it was you who ate the last slice, Tato, you son of a bitch

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

rain dogs posted:

Pomeranians are worse imo

Nthing this but all those Gabe the Dog meme videos made up for it to me.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im a fan of all dogs OP

that said, yeah those dogs suck rear end

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
those dogs look like they took a nut bust in the eye

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chinatown posted:

im a fan of all dogs OP

that said, yeah those dogs suck rear end

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Nobody cares about your dumb dog now you show me a cat and I’m gonna ask to pet that motherfucker

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I think the bigger issue isn't that tiny dogs go neurotic and yap all day long, but that they have lovely owners that think of them more like cute accessories rather than living, breathing things that need attention and training so they don't turn into little yapping demons that poo poo everywhere.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

The reason these threads are always like this (and why the 'problem dog'/'problem owner' debate is neverending whether it's a chihuahua or great dane) is because way too many people own, raise, and handle animals that they don't know poo poo about. This isn't just a problem with dogs, for example holy poo poo so many people own cats and don't even attempt to learn what their poor pet's basic body language means, but the problem is loudest in dogs because dog bites make the news.

If every owner took the time to learn their pet's body language and personality, and trained it appropriately, this wouldn't be a thing. But that would involve every single person across the country suddenly really paying close attention to their dogs, so it's not going to happen. :(

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Dog threads can live in harmony if people just understand that when posters say “I want to kick that stupid loving white dog into the sun,” it’s understood that they mean “I want to kick that white dog’s stupid loving owner into the sun”. It just takes more words.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Having a dog seems nice

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tato posted:

Every time I hear these jokes in public they carry a bizarre undercurrent of aggression. Everyone who waxes apeshit about some hyperspecific breed of dog with such vitriol is weird as poo poo.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

You should try getting therapy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tato posted:

You should try getting therapy.

How about a therapy dog?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
goddamn little mutts

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
dogs with smooshed faces please me

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Threads about dogs are extremely bad because people apply this insane bloodlust to some poor animal that doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Why is anyone required to care whether it has a choice in the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
the fault is with neither dogs nor owners, but with a modern world that requires people to work extended hours or double up on part time jobs, with every adult in the household working full time.

such that a dog gets 5 minutes outside in the morning to poop, 10 minutes "walk" in the evening, and if they're lucky an hour or two of exercise on weekends. $15 minimum / 35 hour week, solidarity for dogs!