Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm really uncomfortable with just how much I liked Heinlein's books in high school and college. They are rife with mouthpiece characters in heroic protagonist roles, and frequently stop to lecture you about this cool thing they're so smart for thinking about.

Late Heinlein is so loving creepy on reflection but the way he structures the books like, for instance, Time Enough for Love is like the frog in the pot brought to a boil. Only after the fact do you realize he led you to "... and that's why it's okay that he hosed his own mother". It's super hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Is there something horrible I need to learn about Kurt Vonnegut, out of curiosity? While his stuff wasn't exclusively science fiction, it was definitely political.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

eviltastic posted:

The "Shatterday" short story compilation from Harlan Ellison is worth it for the story "Jeffty is five" alone. It's a thing where I'd ruin it by explaining it, just read it.

It's also noteworthy for having this back cover, and actually pulling it off.

(Obviously this loses a bit in translation when I can't hand you the paperback, but Ellison's not overplaying his hand here)

Harlan Ellison spent an entire career setting himself up to be a cantankerous old son of a bitch, which on some level I respect. Commit to the bit, even when it means mailing a dead gopher.

At the same time, groping a woman on stage when she's introducing you for an award then complaining when she didn't immediately accept a halfhearted apology via a phone call is straight loving lovely.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Kchama posted:

His entire gimmick was basically poo poo like that. Even if it was :stdh:, he talked tales of how he'd go to a woman's house pretending he was going to have sex with her or whatever, and then tie her up and and leave her there to suffer whatever fate happens when you're tied up and abandoned.

Harlan's a very well-known monster of a man who was cruel to everyone he felt he could get away with it.

:stare:
I didn't know about that poo poo but I am utterly unsurprised. What a fucker.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

mllaneza posted:

My favorite version of Hamlet is the corrected version as explained to a visiting anthropologist by the Tiv people.

https://www.naturalhistorymag.com/picks-from-the-past/12476/shakespeare-in-the-bush

This is a pro click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Owlspiracy posted:

why..why are the dead so horny? :(

TLM3101 posted:

If we're talking about the Night's Dawn trilogy, it's because they've been trapped together for what feels like eternity, able to see the physical world, but unable to touch it or experience it in any other way than just observation.

Thus, when they come back, they go absolutely nuts on idulging themselves.

Living life in the bone zone
:skeltal: