Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I was gonna play Mage a few year's back but then the DM's girlfriend moved out of the country and he kept trying to get me to have sex with him so I respectfully excused myself forever. Tabletop rpgs ftw lol

I put on my robe and mage hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

nice name and joke combo

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Bicyclops posted:

call of cthulu is d20 modern, right? i played one quick campaign of it way back when, i remember it being fun.

my friend was going to get together a game of Dread called "Dread Presidents" in which we all had to play deceased presidents of the united states (and you had to pick a new president if you died, which, in dread, you do often) but he never got it together, i really wish he had.

There is a d20 cthulhu but I don't think it ever got more then one addition. Standard cthulhu uses a d100 system which is what I use. the game is set in the most haunted small town in Wisconsin and pretty much every session players are tripping over some new spooky poo poo. It's a lot of fun, right now the government is blackmailing the PCs into investigating a vampire's house

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
I love eurogames with a focus on resources which doesn't last over 2 hours. Been really into Concordia. And Vitculture.

What do you people think about Dominion?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Lol

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

trying to jack off posted:

sounds like we need a betrayal night on tabletop simulator since everyone agrees it kicks rear end

i would do this

tabletop sim is so great. nice to be able to try out games too before buying the real version

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

i have not played a tabletop game, the closest has been games based on tabletop settings. but i am glad this thread exists and will be lurking it to read good stories of people's tabletop experiences :cheers:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

nice name and joke combo

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

i would do this

tabletop sim is so great. nice to be able to try out games too before buying the real version

the easy to grab betrayal in TTSim is particularly good, like it has counters on the table and the tiles snap together when you place them. i recommend trying some gae you can throw a half an hour into to learn how to do things like flip cards and roll dice if you haven't used TTSim before, like monopoly or catan or something. there's also a legacy version of betrayal that i've heard is pretty fun.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like tabletop sim owns but the first time you play, someone is going to pick up the entire deck rather than draw a card, accidentally throw their pieces into a dead zone, etc. etc. disable flipping the table because some joker always does it in like the second round otherwise

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I wish I could have in person games again table top loses a bit in the online translation I've found even though dice rolling is a lot easier

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i have like One Thousand Hours in tabletop sim lol. sup imps

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Badactura posted:

I wish I could have in person games again table top loses a bit in the online translation I've found even though dice rolling is a lot easier

depends on the game. like twilight imperium is cool on tabletop simulator because you lose like four hours of busywork although you also lose in person bargaining, ducking into another room, stuff like that. cube pushers and stuff where there isnt a ton of setup and teardown, 100% agree

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

i have like One Thousand Hours in tabletop sim lol. sup imps

sup pog. what're you playin lately

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fungah! posted:

depends on the game. like twilight imperium is cool on tabletop simulator because you lose like four hours of busywork although you also lose in person bargaining, ducking into another room, stuff like that. cube pushers and stuff where there isnt a ton of setup and teardown, 100% agree

Having only played TI3/4 in person, I cannot imagine how much better it must be.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

like tabletop sim owns but the first time you play, someone is going to pick up the entire deck rather than draw a card, accidentally throw their pieces into a dead zone, etc. etc. disable flipping the table because some joker always does it in like the second round otherwise

lol or adding a midi noise maker that plays very annoying countdown music during turns

my fave thing to do is allow drawing on the game table

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
drawing cheeks making GBS threads onto your friends side of the table ftw

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Fungah! posted:

sup pog. what're you playin lately

for tabletop games i run a weekly dnd game and a homebrew highly modded pbta thing, betrayal is an extremely good game, and munchkin is fun to

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Fungah! posted:

That makes sense. I mostly play pen and paper rpgs which is usuallypretty low intensity in terms of pieces.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

for tabletop games i run a weekly dnd game and a homebrew highly modded pbta thing, betrayal is an extremely good game, and munchkin is fun to

gently caress yeah, whats the setting on the pbta thing?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

lol or adding a midi noise maker that plays very annoying countdown music during turns

my fave thing to do is allow drawing on the game table

yeah lol. when I have the reigns if I hear someone eating I like to just generate a pizza box and a can of soda on their part of the table

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i remember we tried to play dnd with 5 ppl none of us had read the manual, we gave up and just started saying poo poo and rolling the die to do anything. we had no stats, and i still dont understand how youre supposed to play it. fareweell

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Fungah! posted:

gently caress yeah, whats the setting on the pbta thing?

a post apocalyptic setting where one medium sized town is the only major settlement for miles known to survive where there is a 4 way power struggle between the mafia, a rogue military deployment, the corrupt town administration/police, and a supervillain esque leader of a mutant army

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone like RuneQuest? Glorantha FTW.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

what a good time for those keen to play betrayal? this long distance gamer has a completely free weekend for once

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off suddenly suspicious that everyone is in fact the betrayer from the insomnia of playing in his upside down time zone to draw making GBS threads asses on a virtual table

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fsmhunk posted:

Anyone like RuneQuest? Glorantha FTW.

we have some King of Dragon Pass fans here (RIP Ragg), myself included, but I know nothing about the pen & paper mechanics or anything like that. Does the setting translate in cool ways into gameplay?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

what a good time for those keen to play betrayal? this long distance gamer has a completely free weekend for once

Friday/saturday but aren't you in a Wrong Country.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Friday/saturday but aren't you in a Wrong Country.

8pm est = 12pm the next day here :hai:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

goferchan posted:

we have some King of Dragon Pass fans here (RIP Ragg), myself included, but I know nothing about the pen & paper mechanics or anything like that. Does the setting translate in cool ways into gameplay?

Your character sheet has like two pages where you list all your relatives and what they did and when they died

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Your character sheet has like two pages where you list all your relatives and what they did and when they died

ill just copy my friends

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ArfJason posted:

i remember we tried to play dnd with 5 ppl none of us had read the manual, we gave up and just started saying poo poo and rolling the die to do anything. we had no stats, and i still dont understand how youre supposed to play it. fareweell

im trying to dm dnd for the first time with my family remotely Because Of Covid and we all live across the country and im very excited for it to basically devolve into this

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

That's really cool lol. I love a Favored Grandparent stat line

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

my older brother beat me in every single magic the gathering game we played for about 10 straight years so im very excited to claim my revenge by kilingl his dumb rear end character immediately

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ill just copy my friends

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

i've never looked into iy that much but from what i can yeah, to an insane degree to the point that it makes actually playing a pita

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

a post apocalyptic setting where one medium sized town is the only major settlement for miles known to survive where there is a 4 way power struggle between the mafia, a rogue military deployment, the corrupt town administration/police, and a supervillain esque leader of a mutant army

drat, that sounds sick. did you make your own playbooks? ive been working on a hack thats half vtm and half doom in the 70s that i kind of want to get back to after i finish working on some d&d stuff

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

40 lbs to freedom posted:

im trying to dm dnd for the first time with my family remotely Because Of Covid and we all live across the country and im very excited for it to basically devolve into this

"Dad railroaded my entire plot by haggling with innkeeper for 3 sessions."

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Can someone explain how dnd is played? Do you literally roll a dice for everything like "i turn on the lights", "open door" and "intimidate shopkeeper" and if you get a low number it fails