Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i don't think the interface is necessarily intuitive, though, i don't want to scare people away from it by implying it is and then having them log in and go "wtf?"

it takes a minute to learn things like "it's better to right click and select 'draw' than to grab a card" and if you're running, it takes a bit to figure out how to download all the free games from the steam workshop.

basically, it goes from "it feels just like i'm sitting around the table with my friends, but i had a stroke" to "it feels like i'm sitting around the table with my friends, but we have a butler to clean up the mess."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i don't think the interface is necessarily intuitive, though, i don't want to scare people away from it by implying it is and then having them log in and go "wtf?"

it takes a minute to learn things like "it's better to right click and select 'draw' than to grab a card" and if you're running, it takes a bit to figure out how to download all the free games from the steam workshop.

basically, it goes from "it feels just like i'm sitting around the table with my friends, but i had a stroke" to "it feels like i'm sitting around the table with my friends, but we have a butler to clean up the mess."

i'd still 100% prefer to game in person imo but tts is a good middle ground for now

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bicyclops posted:

Before I bought it I imagined the controls were going to be a pain in the rear end. But once you play one game, any game, and you learn how to use dice, manipulate cards and decks, and move game pieces, you've got 90% of what you need to know controls-wise. it's not annoying to use moment-to-moment like cockatrice, if you've ever used that for mtg.

Basically I thought the interface was going to suck before I tried it. it ended up being my preferred way to play some games

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Klowner posted:

Before I bought it I imagined the controls were going to be a pain in the rear end. But once you play one game, any game, and you learn how to use dice, manipulate cards and decks, and move game pieces, you've got 90% of what you need to know controls-wise. it's not annoying to use moment-to-moment like cockatrice, if you've ever used that for mtg.

yeah, it's this. my group played like two full rounds of monopoly and a game of settlers and then all of us knew what we were doing and moved on to whatever games we wanted. it's best to pick one throwaway game that everyone knows how to play and learn on it. once you learn it it's easy. the same is true of taking bits and pieces of the various tools available and combining the to make your own custom table - that takes a LITTLE more learning, but it's not like modding Fallout or w/e.

also, if you do want to play MTG with friends, untap.in is pretty good. it doesn't "know" the rules like cockatrice does but it has basic features like passing the turn, untapping all of your cards, creating counters and tokens, etc. etc. it'll import your decks from tappedout or arena.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Tabletop Simulator and Roll20 saved the hobbies far as I can tell, especially pen and paper RPs
I spent years doing play-by-post here and chatMU elsewhere, so goddamn slow

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Rev up SackTap.balls and go ham on some YuGiOh! my dear brothers.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Black August posted:

Tabletop Simulator and Roll20 saved the hobbies far as I can tell, especially pen and paper RPs

I could never get into play by post because everyone wrote a drat novel every time they did anything

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Black August posted:

Yeah nobody in my group has, understandably, felt safe enough to get together indoors, so roll20 with voip has been a real lifesaver. If not for it, I would've gone from having a session every other week for the past decade to zero games for an entire year now. It's really not as good as in person, but it's good enough to scratch the itch.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

pbp is th single worst way to roleplay and that's a fact

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Fungah! posted:

one evening's worth of RPing with a group takes a PbP game about 2-3 weeks, lol

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Fungah! posted:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I like to play tabletop games in theory but usually it becomes a commitment I resent after the first month.

Ehehehe.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
As a socially awkward person though I like Roll20 and other online play way more.

It also.lets you kind of do neat thematic things you cannot do as much or as easily in person.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Mordekai posted:

Yeah.

I can also recommend another beautiful game: Wingspan

Its a game about making the best bird sanctuary by picking from a deck with 170 unique north american bird species, each with their own special ability.

My only gripe is that the egg combo strategy is a bit OP.

How do you beat the egg strategy

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You poo poo yourself and fart in the smudged poo poo in your rear end crack until the other player exploiting the egg strat leaves.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i like playing agricola

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

hosed-up cool and terrible setting/system you've never heard of and should play but you're never going to: IN NOMINE

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bicyclops posted:

the crazy thing is that there are some board games like arkham horror or whatever that are basically all set up that nobody in their right mind would play until someone created a computer program that would set up the game for you. tts ftw

Is 3e out yet? If so, how is it? Because I own 2e Arkham Horror, and I've played it twice, and for as much fun as I had playing it, holy gently caress setting that game up. I hear once you've played it enough times you can cut the setup down to like, 30mins. but that's still absurd. I heard 3e wanted to make setup easier and quicker, but it also sounded like they wanted to do a pretty significant revision to the rules. If it could maintain the feel of the earlier editions while also being clearer and easier to understand, I'd be interested in checking it out.

Black August posted:

hosed-up cool and terrible setting/system you've never heard of and should play but you're never going to: IN NOMINE

I know I have In Nomine Anime around somewhere. Why is a question I never really answered, but I do.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

catlord posted:

Is 3e out yet? If so, how is it? Because I own 2e Arkham Horror, and I've played it twice, and for as much fun as I had playing it, holy gently caress setting that game up. I hear once you've played it enough times you can cut the setup down to like, 30mins. but that's still absurd. I heard 3e wanted to make setup easier and quicker, but it also sounded like they wanted to do a pretty significant revision to the rules. If it could maintain the feel of the earlier editions while also being clearer and easier to understand, I'd be interested in checking it out.

not sure the version i played was even second edition tbh. It was like 2009 i think? i lived in an apartment with like seven people at the time, it was a lot easier to get board games together.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

not sure the version i played was even second edition tbh. It was like 2009 i think? i lived in an apartment with like seven people at the time, it was a lot easier to get board games together.

I think I got my copy before then, so I'd assume you played 2e. I think first edition came out in the '80s or something like that?

Edit: I just looked it up, apparently 3e came out in 2018 so I must be real out of the loop.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
arkham horror was my first, like, non-parker brothers, non-milton-bradley board game and I have a huge soft spot for it even though I've played enough good board games now to know it's a mess

I never viewed the set-up time as an obstacle (although, I usually keep the contents of the box organized, which is a big difference maker) so much as keeping track of the rules

I don't know if we've ever played without accidentally cheating
- doing player turns all at once instead of in phases
- forgetting to limit weapon use by the little handprints symbols
- confusing the terror track with the doom track
- forgetting to place clues
- forgetting about evade checks
- forgetting to apply the ancient ones" special rules (like +2 to cultists)
- forgetting character abilities
- confusing closing a gate with sealing it

everything I've heard about 3rd edition is it has the same feel but with more elegant systems, but also that fans of older versions might miss the bloat

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ah, yep, the last time I played Arkham Horror we were wondering why it was so easy for my uncle to machine gun Cthulhu down, and we realised we hosed up the combat rules against him.

I looked up what the first edition looked like. I dig it, but it also looks like it could have been one of those rugs for kids that they can drive their Hot Wheels around?

Look at that fuckin' yithian just havin' a grand old time in the lower right corner

I wish I could have driven my Hot Wheels around this as a preschooler.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

catlord posted:

I wish I could have driven my Hot Wheels around this as a preschooler.

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Cosmically Aware 4 year Old.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I like that map and the goofy rear end Tex-Mex mission house in the clearly dreary New England town.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Going to Devil's Beach for spring break.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

crying to my mom that my crayons won't fill in the space on the Houlton Big Stop's placemat because of its non Euclidean geometry

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

catlord posted:

I know I have In Nomine Anime around somewhere. Why is a question I never really answered, but I do.

that supplement sucked and was vanity project bullshit
but then nearly every supplement and author in that line had issues

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

My group hasn’t played since like late November and i’ve been fiending for some rp

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I impulse bought Wingspan. Played around a bit last night and looking forward to gathering some birds.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quote:

I got you now Yugi! With this nest full of Pine Grosbeak finch eggs I will soon have far more migratory birds than you could ever handle!

quote:

Heh, you think so Kaiba? Look again at your nest and see if you can notice something.

quote:

You bastard! This can't be, this egg is too big to be a finch, it must be...

quote:

My common cuckoo egg indeed, and with it hatching now it will push your finches from the tree, making me the victor!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

lmao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
hahaha

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
brutal

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

bird games are for keeps

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Theyre for the birds.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lmfao

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

the egg strategy brings it home once again

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I just noticed that game was on Switch so lurker, you better be correct about how good it is or I will make your life a living hell,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011