Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

NienNunb posted:

The most fun I've ever had playing an rpg is with Mages. A lot of the White Wolf rpgs can be cool if you play with the right group.

Turning rules lawyering into a feature since vampires were cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I was gonna play Mage a few year's back but then the DM's girlfriend moved out of the country and he kept trying to get me to have sex with him so I respectfully excused myself forever. Tabletop rpgs ftw lol

I put on my robe and mage hat.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fungah! posted:

depends on the game. like twilight imperium is cool on tabletop simulator because you lose like four hours of busywork although you also lose in person bargaining, ducking into another room, stuff like that. cube pushers and stuff where there isnt a ton of setup and teardown, 100% agree

Having only played TI3/4 in person, I cannot imagine how much better it must be.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

40 lbs to freedom posted:

im trying to dm dnd for the first time with my family remotely Because Of Covid and we all live across the country and im very excited for it to basically devolve into this

"Dad railroaded my entire plot by haggling with innkeeper for 3 sessions."

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

catlord posted:

I read the "what is Imp Zone" thread and came away wondering that exact question, but I'll bite:

How is someone actually supposed to determine the possible range of encountered dungeon monsters per dungeon level in pre-3e D&D? This may come as a shock, but Gygax is incredibly loving vague on little things like "the rules for running the game", and I can't figure out if there's an actual method for determining how many flumphs you should throw at a party or if I should just toke up and guess.

If I remember properly:

Flumphs have a Challenge Rating of 1. That means it should be a good encounter for a party of 1st level. Every additional CR1 monster you add increases the CR of the encounter by 1 meaning 2 is going to be a challenge for a party of 1st level, but not impossible.

Don't quote me on the exact math, it's been a long time since 3.5

Fake Edit: Found the old 3.5 SRD calculator I used to use:

https://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/

Real Edit: just read pre-3rd edition. I'm an idiot.

No loving clue, my DM did all the work back then.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

When you really think about it, Slowpoke is just a penguin.