Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I'm running a shadowrun game and a call of cthulhu game and both are pretty loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Bicyclops posted:

call of cthulu is d20 modern, right? i played one quick campaign of it way back when, i remember it being fun.

my friend was going to get together a game of Dread called "Dread Presidents" in which we all had to play deceased presidents of the united states (and you had to pick a new president if you died, which, in dread, you do often) but he never got it together, i really wish he had.

There is a d20 cthulhu but I don't think it ever got more then one addition. Standard cthulhu uses a d100 system which is what I use. the game is set in the most haunted small town in Wisconsin and pretty much every session players are tripping over some new spooky poo poo. It's a lot of fun, right now the government is blackmailing the PCs into investigating a vampire's house

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I wish I could have in person games again table top loses a bit in the online translation I've found even though dice rolling is a lot easier

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Fungah! posted:

depends on the game. like twilight imperium is cool on tabletop simulator because you lose like four hours of busywork although you also lose in person bargaining, ducking into another room, stuff like that. cube pushers and stuff where there isnt a ton of setup and teardown, 100% agree

That makes sense. I mostly play pen and paper rpgs which is usuallypretty low intensity in terms of pieces.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Fungah! posted:

i ran a campaign like that once in planescape and it kicked rear end. th players ran a restaurant in sigil and they had to go fron plane to plane to find new foods and ingredients and i homebrewed a whole restaurant management system

There's a good manga called Delicious in Dungeon which has the similar premise of being about how adventurers cook different dungeon creatures for food

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Fungah! posted:

i was readin a shitload of cooking manga at the time, the campaign ended up being like 2/3 toriko 1/3 shokugeki

Fuckin nice, that sounds great

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Here is a story about the best call of cthulhu character I ever encountered, Flotsam Ahab.

In Call of Cthulhu games, characters usually roll random stats, and most characters end up being human average or below in terms of their statistics. It's because it's a horror themed game so characters are supposed to be average people encountering some spooky stuff.

Flotsam Ahab (I didn't name him, the player did) rolled the highest he could in three separate statistics, and rolled above average everywhere else. Notably, he rolled extremely highly in the stats that are used to give you points to spend on skills, making him a genius master of a variety of skills, including sword fighting, hiding, reading books, and swimming. He also had extremely high 'sanity,' a statistic in call of cthulhu that goes down as you encounter more horrible supernatural stuff.

Flotsam joined a party that was combatting a shapeshifting, body possessing demon in 1890s New Orleans. This demon had possessed the loved ones of other PCs, lured them into traps, and was generally being horrible. The PCs had finally learned they could banish the demon in an ancient temple in India through research, and hired Flotsam to accompany them across the ocean. Of course, beforehand the demon stole the face of a fellow passenger and crept aboard. Halfway across the Atlantic, it called forth some horrible fishmen from the depths. As the fishmen attacked crew and players, it stalked the ship looking for a lone PC to devour. It found Flotsam Ahab on the deck of the ship, who, thanks to his amazing listening abilities, was able to hear the thing creeping up on him.

Flotsam drew his sword and dueled this demon on the rainy deck of the ship while the rest of the PCs struggled against the encroaching fishmen. He stabbed the demon so many times that it actually started to run the risk of being slain right there, ending the campaign prematurely. Instead it had to jump off the ship into the ocean to escape him. Without backup, Flotsam stabbed the remaining fishmen to death, saving the remaining PCs, who were letting one pc get devoured while the others spent multiple turns reloading their terrible 1890s guns, or going mad from encountering fishmen.

They make it to India, and find out Flotsam is the only character who speaks Hindi because he speaks like, seven languages. He successfully negotiates an elephant and a crew to transport the PCs into the jungle to find the temple. The demon, meanwhile, had shapeshifted and journeyed to India as well, and now stalked the PCs in the jungle in the form of a massive tiger. Over the next few nights of travel it tried to raid the camp of the PCs. Every night there was Flotsam, waiting, this time with his trademark elephant gun. He could always hear it coming, thanks again to his tremendous listening ability. Again, he nearly killed the demon before it could be banished, but is escaped into the woods before he could finish it off each time.

Finally, they made it to the temple, and found an endless chasm in the earth beneath it, where they started the ritual to banish the demon forever. While this happened, the demon attacked again, and the ritual caused a minor earthquake. Flotsam lost his elephant gun to the chasm below, and so drew his sword and dueled the giant tiger to the death over the chasm, while every other PC managed to fail their saves and fall into the chasm. Alone, Flotsam dueled the tiger demon, while chanting the final ritual to completion, banishing the demon for eternity, although he was about to stab it to death anyway.

As the only surviving party member, he used the PCs leftover gear to pay their expedition, and wrote a best-selling book with his prodigious writing ability. That book occasionally shows up in new call of cthulhu games I run now, because I've never had a character be this much of an action hero in a cthulhu game.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I love dice like this, or even just this kind of design for game pieces that incorporate things like different statuses.

This week I'm DMing the finale of a Monster of the Week group I've been running for like eight months now. I'm ripping of the season 1 finale of Legion and the apocalyptic monster they're facing off against is gonna trap all the player characters in an alternate reality where monsters aren't real, they're all in an insane asylum, and all of the characters/monsters from their previous adventures are staff members or fellow patients. We had a Time Travel mechanic in an earlier adventure so I think I'm gonna bring that back but kind of remix it so that instead of trying to get back to the present from being trapped in the past, they're trying to get back to their own reality through... idk worlds where things went wrong and the monsters they beat previously were allowed to succeed/take over the Earth? I'm not sure on that part yet. But I'm really looking forward to wrapping it up and starting a new world.

Congratulations on finishing a game. What do you think you will run next?

I've been really wanting to run a game based on the book A Roadside Picnic/the STALKER games but I promised my friends I'd run Warhammer Fantasy after our vampire game ends.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

scary ghost dog posted:

Very cool game

That sounds awesome. I was thinking of doing it with a modern day system called Twilight 2000, I would not have thought to do it fantasy style.

I'm not sure. I've been having a lot of fun with this Storytelling game Fiasco - we usually play it on nights where one member or another doesn't show up. It basically just gives you a framework to quickly sketch out a few characters, a setting, some desires - and then you collaboratively create a Fargo/Burn After Reading style story where regular people get mixed up in something way over their heads.

I really like the collaborative storytelling aspect of it, and one of the games that looks interesting to me as a result is Fellowship, where each character is a member of a Fantasy race like Elves, Dwarves, etc. but that person also gets to define what Elves are like in that world, what kind of powers they have, what weapons do they use, what resources are they in controls of and what their relationship is like with the other fantasy races. One of the things I like about DMing is when players pitch an idea that never even occurs to me writing the story, and then trying to play arbiter between what I had planned and the new idea that could make it more fun

I love Fiasco, I haven't run it in a million years but it was a game I would play with friends playing their first RPG. I remember they had a little book with a ton of different settings like a spooky cruise ship or like a catch-22 air force base.

Have you heard of Kingdom, or Microscope? You might like them. They're DMless and all focused on players collaborating to build the story.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Major Isoor posted:

Ehhh I dunno, I think there are way better GMs out there. I'm totally new to GMing and I'm not 100% familiar with the system yet, so I'm mostly just hoping I don't slow things down or make errors, heh. We'll see though - it's a good group and DG seems like a fun system for solving mysteries, so it's been fun so far

Good luck, I GM a lot and I think it can be very fun, especially if it's your friends and not random people. I also love Delta Green, despite the edginess in the standard setting.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

To Leadthumb and others who have talked about creating or hacking together their own systems: do you have any books or reference materials on Game Design you like and/or find useful? In particular I think I'm looking for higher level "philosophy of game design" type stuff rather than like "these are tables it might be useful for a DM to have on hand" which I have a lot of already

Not sure if it's what you're looking for but there's this article on game design by Greg Costikyan, the creator of Paranoia: http://www.digra.org/digital-library/publications/i-have-no-words-i-must-design-toward-a-critical-vocabulary-for-games/

It is basically an attempt to create a functional definition of a game with an eye towards using that definition to clarify game design principles. Fair warning that it is generally focused on computer games although it also talks about table top RPGs. Also fair warning that he has a grating authorial voice. Still, I think it's a decent for building an understanding of what a game is.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I usually head that off by just telling the players is a game about a certain thing before they make characters. Like I'm running a Warhammer fantasy rpg game soon and the premise is 'you're all related and the game is about trying to help your family succeed/fail in the merchant business.'

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

one of my favorite RPG moments was having a fellow player react to a crawling mummified hand threat by asking if this would be something novel/surprising/shocking in this world and then try to trap it in a jar so they could charge people to look at it lol

Did they make any money off of the freaky hand? Or were people not impressed by the freaky hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Pharmaskittle posted:

look what my dm made dawg, we're going on a magical adventure

aw man did they watercolor it? it looks amazing.

I love the mountains those look terrific