Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
The recurring theme I noticed in v3.5 is that there are hints of increased difficulty (half of everything in the game is able to inflict status ailments and most of the other half now has access to magic) that got kneecapped by the modder's need to improve the quality of chest and post-battle drops. Sure it's rough when you get ambushed and at least one of your characters ends up blinded, poisoned, stunned or concussed but gear upgrades are spread out in every dungeon and certain enemies are potion/equipment dispensers. The decreased gil rewards end up not mattering since about the only reasons to visit a shop are to buy new magic or restock on consumables.

Like, the Ice Cave was a proper pain in the rear end for me, especially because I went straight there after reaching Crescent Lake. Among other things there are still frost-vomiting wolves, ice giants now cast Blizzard on top of hitting hard and being sacks of HP, Wraiths (Spectres? Whichever one looks like a floating skeleton in a hoodie) can chunk a character with a 80-90 damage Blizzard or wear down the entire group with a 50 damage Pain all while losing their weakness to fire damage, the Eye fight has a chance of spawning two of them, and if the Eye fight lasts long enough it casts a spell that deals 1000 unblockable damage. However, the chests still have prizes like Ice Armor and the Flame Sword along with generous amounts of gil and monsters can drop gear like Ice Shields. All it took was for the post-battle RNG to smile on me once and suddenly both my Battlemage and Enchanter had an Ice Brand for the eventual trip to Mt Gulg.

If I'd gone to Gulg first the situation would be largely the same; I'd be getting cooked alive by Hellhounds and Fire Elementals (NulBlaze is a must) while picking up items like Flame Armor and a Black Cowl from chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

...you seriously only had 257 gil by the time you got to Elfheim? :ohdear:

Grinding for hours to get gil for anything is not fun nor makes the game harder. It just becomes extremely tedious.

Araxxor posted:

So what now? Ending things off here? Was an interesting showcase at least even if the hack was not that exciting. Or finding another hack in the pool? :v:

I did a quick check and apparently the only other Dawn of Souls hacks are either bug fixes, the 3.5 and 2.2 hack (there are other versions, but it's likely they're all bad anyway) that has already been done, a magic charge system (9 charges for lv 1 spells and so on, just like NES FF1) and the... hard mode one. The reviews aren't too great for it though, and I cringed after reading one of the reviews. No way I was going to put myself through that torture. Maybe Dragonatrix if they really wanted, but it's a resounding "No thanks!" from me.

Unless there's another Dawn of Souls hack we're not aware of, that's pretty much all we have unfortunately.

Sketchie fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 9, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

RIP this mod, got caught in the usual 'hard mode' pitfalls and died.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Being fair to the mod author, he seemed to abandon the pretense of making the game harder after version 1.0. Looking back at the change logs, his reasoning for everything after that seems to be "It would be cool if X, so I added X".

Frankly, it's still kind of unimpressive, his Final Fantasy 5 mod was much better.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Araxxor posted:

So what now? Ending things off here? Was an interesting showcase at least even if the hack was not that exciting. Or finding another hack in the pool? :v:

Yeah, I was thinking of just calling it here. Bit of an anticlimax, considering I did record the Citadel of Ordeals a few days ago, just in case, but it's mostly just more of the same at this point really.

Plus all you get for it is a whopping +50 HP as mentioned before which is just such a "who cares" reward. HP/MP maxes have been upped to 9999 (with 999 for the other stats) so it manages to be even less impressive than it sounds, if anything, too.

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

No shame in just letting this one go.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
Having played the mod through the sea shrine.

Ehhhhhh, the 12 classes thing isn't utilized enough, They really should have focused the 3 spells each class got at level or SOMETHING.

Also the way hits scale is terrible, 32accuracy is a thing i can see on my screen.
Agi a stat with a 25% chance to go up when not preplanned, tied to a formula on top of that, is not a thing i can see if a weapon is doing or when i'll get a hit vs. I get X hit per level, my weapon also gives hit, agi gives like 1% hit.
In general stats are WAAAAYYYYY too important and bad stat rolls can ruin you rather than them being a minor thing that like a thing that makes minor differences between two same classed charecters.

I get what it was trying to go for with the stronger/more buyables but less gil, but it just....doesn't work out the same way.
I mostly spent my gil on spells and whatever the best int gear was for my sage/battle mage because i was constantly mp starved and like half their loving int was coming from items i swear.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Ehhhhhh, the 12 classes thing isn't utilized enough, They really should have focused the 3 spells each class got at level or SOMETHING.

Honestly, I think the worst part about the classes is that none of the ones that use spells have anything unique going for them. Even the Master and the Monk's special abilities can be used by at least one non-Monk/Master class. I get that this is Final Fantasy 1, so things like "special abilities" aren't a thing yet, but using the magic system to jerry-rig special abilities for the classes is actually a pretty decent idea. Honestly, I would have just taken the class list, cut it in half and made half of the classes the upgraded forms of the base 6. Like FF 1 already did. Use the magic system to make special moves for the Fighter, Monk and Thief that only that class can learn, and have some fun with it. Give the Monk/Master elemental attacks that are free and run off their Str rather than Int. Give the Fighter/Knight some defensive buffs and hard-hitting Str based attacks. Something something Thief.

The mod creator has shown that you can actually make custom spells and choose which classes get them. Just a shame that it ended up so bland in this mod because none of the classes outside of the non-magic ones had anything to distinguish them.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
If this LP is ending, I will say one thing—I like the idea of adding weaknesses to bosses. Rewards players who like experimenting with stuff that probably won't, and you don't get the Bestiary entry until AFTER you've beaten the boss. I thought that was a neat touch.

The rest of the mod though just seems...weird and overdesigned.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of just calling it here.
Since the Dawn of Souls hack is a bust, why not look into NES FF1 hacks instead?

Last I checked, there's 57 FF1 hacks so there's a wide variety to choose from.

It's just an idea if you wanted to continue the line of trying FF1 hacks.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

definitely don't blame you from axing this if its just several more updates of "this enemy isn't supposed to be here" "this weapon got a trivial buff to accuracy but a point less in damage" or "the modder must be a cat because there is no justification for this arbitrary and utterly trivial change to this other aspect"

I was holding out hope that castle of ordeals would do something novel to justify the lack of jobs change, but 50HP isn't good enough.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This lp going out on quiet fart is really about the best summary of the mod possible.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Final Fantasy: SBD, Silent but Dull.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Looking at the changelogs over time, it seems like this was intended to be the case, with the different caster classes getting very different spell choices, but it never really came to pass.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Truthkeeper posted:

Looking at the changelogs over time, it seems like this was intended to be the case, with the different caster classes getting very different spell choices, but it never really came to pass.

Yeah reading it that's what it sounded like, and i was looking forward to it. But there my battlemage was spamming temper and haste in boss fights not dropping nukes and nothing but nukes.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Yeah reading it that's what it sounded like, and i was looking forward to it. But there my battlemage was spamming temper and haste in boss fights not dropping nukes and nothing but nukes.

Yeah, I had a similar reaction. It's a shame, the guy's other mods for FF5 and the Wizardry trilogy were much better.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Sounds like my Monk, where I went into the mod thinking he would be like a barehanded Knight with a bit of white magic access. Turns out that only did he have roughly the same prowess with white magic as a White Mage he also had access to some black magic and more than enough intelligence to sling spells like a dedicated mage.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if it'd be better if they kept the original classes but were able to change from a direct class change into choosing the class. Like Trials of Mana or something of that sort. Fighter could double down into a berserker (at least in terms of strength, if not actual uncontrollable rage), or go Paladin. Red Mage could turn into vanilla red wizard or full on sage.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Falconer posted:

Sounds like my Monk, where I went into the mod thinking he would be like a barehanded Knight with a bit of white magic access. Turns out that only did he have roughly the same prowess with white magic as a White Mage he also had access to some black magic and more than enough intelligence to sling spells like a dedicated mage.

I think unironically the mp and int changes in DoS hurt it, and Mod of Balance doubled down on that.
While magic was inarguably too weak in FF1(Not just because of bugged useless spells, high level spells were too weak, too few slots etc.) ints function of spell hit wasn't noticeably but was comparable to other stats in value(nice but not necessary), the making int double the base damage every 10 points ALONG WITH changing to mp while making int it's Vit was just too much and made int the one stat you really really needed.
With the mp crunch, and the every 2 it just....Int is the god stat.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

I wonder if it'd be better if they kept the original classes but were able to change from a direct class change into choosing the class. Like Trials of Mana or something of that sort. Fighter could double down into a berserker (at least in terms of strength, if not actual uncontrollable rage), or go Paladin. Red Mage could turn into vanilla red wizard or full on sage.

Cool as that would be (and it sounds really cool), I suspect the game's engine actually can't handle that many classes.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
From the sounds of the site it would definitely be "the game can't handle that many classes" (the reason why the Citadel of Trials reward got replaced with a measly +50 HP is because there's only room for twelve classes, and six of them act weird on the character select screen) though I feel like another problem would be actually handling the "choice" part, since that... obviously doesn't happen in vanilla.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Just found this thread. I am sorry that it died, because I've always wanted to see this mod. I like it, apart from the anticlimax of class change which was always my favourite part of the original. The sprite changes especially really communicated that your team had evolved from kids playing at adventuring to proper badarse heroes.

Dawn of Souls/PSP Anniversary edition were, I agree, much too easy except for the super bosses, but I could not play original vanilla FF1 NES again either due to the ridiculous number of bugs and balance issues. However, I've been playing a hack of FF1 that has totally revitalised the game for me. It's nice to revisit a lost classic whose jank I could put up with as a child but not as an adult.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Someone mentioned that there are good mods for the NES version of FF1, I think? Before this thread gets locked or slides into archives, does anyone have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

DGM_2 posted:

Someone mentioned that there are good mods for the NES version of FF1, I think? Before this thread gets locked or slides into archives, does anyone have any recommendations?

It's still in Beta, but the lady who wrote Final Fantasy 1 Restored is working on Final Fantasy Restored and Rebalanced. The former just fixed the many bugs in the game, but the latter (as written on the tin) addresses the many balance issues and adds a lot of new content. I had a lot of fun with FF1 and DQ3 many years ago. While I've replayed the original DQ3 many times, I knew that I could never replay FF1 vanilla as it is just too imbalanced and janky. This mod added new life to that.