Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sage
Master
Knight
Enchanter

I'm curious about the "monk abilities", and I'm assuming the Knight would be able to use most weapons you find. Sage to show off all the spells and Enchanter because eh, survivability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

And I feel the classes aren't that well distinguished here, definitely not as much as they'd be in later games, but maybe there's more to this than meets the eye. But if it can do some cool stuff even under that paradigm, great!

If I'm reading the descriptions correctly, there's three "pure physical" characters (Knight, Thief and Master) who boil down to "Tank, Speedy, and Naked Tank" (though with "Monk abilities"?), three flavors of "pure magical" who boil down to "Milk, Coffee and Latte" flavors (assuming the Sage can use all spells, I'm assuming that the only major difference is going to be maybe armor selection and HP/MP pools), and then SIX varieties of "Hybrid physical/magical" characters, which... seems a tad excessive.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Astos is supposed to be hard? I think ive killed him in one turn everytime, he has pathetic hp

If I remember, he has a decent defense for that point in the game combined with a low enough level that most characters won't get many hits per attack, so unless you have black or red mages, you're plinking away at him. Land mute on him and laugh though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm pretty sure it is, hence why FFVI has a character talk about a dragon in the forest when its populated by dinosaurs.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You have a second Zeal gif where you talk about Fira.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Falconer posted:

Also to support an earlier point made, the sages mention that the fiends were intended to awaken every 200 years (Tiamat showed up 400 years ago, Kraken showed up 200 years ago and helped Tiamat assault the northern regions, Lich recently woke up, Marilith was supposed to sleep for another 200 years but your party killing Lich woke her up early).

I'm curious why it took Tiamat over 200 years to take control of the northern continents. Did... did he just take over the sky castle and call it a day? Did he get stuck in there because it's in low orbit and couldn't figure out the teleporter?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That doesn't sound hard, just tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Ehhhhhh, the 12 classes thing isn't utilized enough, They really should have focused the 3 spells each class got at level or SOMETHING.

Honestly, I think the worst part about the classes is that none of the ones that use spells have anything unique going for them. Even the Master and the Monk's special abilities can be used by at least one non-Monk/Master class. I get that this is Final Fantasy 1, so things like "special abilities" aren't a thing yet, but using the magic system to jerry-rig special abilities for the classes is actually a pretty decent idea. Honestly, I would have just taken the class list, cut it in half and made half of the classes the upgraded forms of the base 6. Like FF 1 already did. Use the magic system to make special moves for the Fighter, Monk and Thief that only that class can learn, and have some fun with it. Give the Monk/Master elemental attacks that are free and run off their Str rather than Int. Give the Fighter/Knight some defensive buffs and hard-hitting Str based attacks. Something something Thief.

The mod creator has shown that you can actually make custom spells and choose which classes get them. Just a shame that it ended up so bland in this mod because none of the classes outside of the non-magic ones had anything to distinguish them.