Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I use Super Sculpy a lot! You got the extra firm grey, which is really good for keeping details.

This looks really great so far, my best advise might not be possible since it's so far along, but I usually start out with an armature of sorts. Since this guy is so low to the ground anyway, a shaped lump of tin foil would give great stability. It would help keep the clay from warping as you handle it, and it fills up space so you can use less clay. It also helps with the curing process, since large chunks of sculpy take a lot longer to bake than thinner pieces.

With this, my best advice would be to bake him low and slow. It will take longer, but your outer detail pieces won't discolor or burn, and it will be more sturdy in the end. The clay gets kinda floppy in the oven before it hardens, so you might want to use foil to prop it up while it cooks so it doesn't slump over.

Of course since you're making your pops happy there's no right or wrong way, this is just my personal experience.

Gonna paint it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It looks about an inch thick roughly, maybe 1 and a half? judging by the tools. I'd say maybe 250 for about 45 minutes, then turn off the oven and let it cool down all the way before removing the piece. This seems to help it keep from cracking with sudden temperature fluctuation. I always just keep an eye on mine every 15 minutes or so to check for scorching on small bits.

I think it will turn out fine without the foil, I've made plenty without! It just helps to keep me from squashing my own work, this looks fabulous as it is. Your dad's gonna love it!