Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

DoomTrainPhD posted:

If you have driven through Kansas you don’t need a loving book to tell you what’s the matter with that hell-hole state. :colbert:

Oh I've done a lot more than drive through it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Oh, and Biden abandoned that public option sham, in case anyone was wondering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leQn1FoK0wE

No progressive, let alone ANYBODY in Cspam thought Joe was telling the truth about the public option lmao.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

Kansas is still better than Iowa but not by much.

Braggins
May 21, 2020

No, it's Braggins, not... dammit

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Bernie winning the first few primaries (he won Iowa gently caress the DNC) made a lot of us hopeful. We underestimated just how spiteful boomers really are.

I was cautiously optimistic, but yeah, once he crushed Nevada I really thought he had it. Apparently I underestimated how many libs out there were just waiting for the TV people to all get on the same page and tell them who they were supposed to vote for.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Treating D&D as a zoo is fine.

The problem is when people strip of their shirt and wade into a thread designed for coping mechanisms and mental gymnastics trying to actually debate those people.

I will never stop posting

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

No progressive, let alone ANYBODY in Cspam thought Joe was telling the truth about the public option lmao.

I don't think ANYONE thought he was, liberals included

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

DoomTrainPhD posted:

He probably reverse GISed a 9/11 meme.

Is there was any other way of finding this site?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yinlock posted:

I don't think ANYONE thought he was, liberals included

The gently caress? Liberals said that poo poo all the time to try and counter progressives when they rightfully say Joe is a shithead republican who is against UHC.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Treating D&D as a zoo is fine.

The problem is when people strip of their shirt and wade into a thread designed for coping mechanisms and mental gymnastics trying to actually debate those people.

I know but look at then, smugging it up in a cloud of their own farts in their stupid gated community for sadbrains

sometimes you just want to stumble in with a bottle of hooch and poo poo in their corn flakes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

Is there was any other way of finding this site?

Stumbling on a “All your base” video.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The gently caress? Liberals said that poo poo all the time to try and counter progressives when they rightfully say Joe is a shithead republican who is against UHC.

they were lying out their rear end about that, is what i was getting at, much like the "we can push him left" poo poo

they knew from second 1 that he wasn't gonna do poo poo healthcare-wise, they just don't care

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the fundamental issue is trust/faith in the US government at its core, if you do trust/believe it, your line of thinking will fundamentally work in a certain direction versus a lack of trust/belief beyond just a social divide. It gets down to what is your personal connection to the American state itself.

I stumbled on to Planet Quake....

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yinlock posted:

I know but look at then, smugging it up in a cloud of their own farts in their stupid gated community for sadbrains

sometimes you just want to stumble in with a bottle of hooch and poo poo in their corn flakes

In 2 years when the Dems lose the house and senate I am going to eat a probe/ban just for the immense pleasure of walking into that thread and saying “We told you so you stupid fucks, this is the Libs fault.“

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yinlock posted:

they were lying out their rear end about that, is what i was getting at, much like the "we can push him left" poo poo

they knew from second 1 that he wasn't gonna do poo poo healthcare-wise, they just don't care

Oh, yeah. That we agree on.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

In 2 years when the Dems lose the house and senate I am going to eat a probe/ban just for the immense pleasure of walking into that thread and saying “We told you so you stupid fucks, this is the Libs fault.“

this is a good plan, I mean you'll eat a probe/ban for out-debating the libs(this is extremely easy) anyway even if you haven't broken a rule, so you might as well do something to deserve it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yinlock posted:

this is a good plan, I mean you'll eat a probe/ban for out-debating the libs(this is extremely easy) anyway even if you haven't broken a rule, so you might as well do something to deserve it

Yeah, just the satisfaction of watching centrism fail and rubbing their nose in it is worth the $10 imo.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, I think Biden will get done even less than I thought he did. I thought he could at least get some weak stimulus bill passed but it seems like even that is going to be a struggle.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

If you have driven through Kansas you don’t need a loving book to tell you what’s the matter with that hell-hole state. :colbert:

johnson county's a fascinating place

it's the only real wealthy lib enclave in the entire state yet it's like happening upon an uncontacted tribe of chud reactionaries

the toothless hicks i've known all my life from rural bumfuck eastern nc are gore vidal in comparison to those rubes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, I think Biden will get done even less than I thought he did. I thought he could at least get some weak stimulus bill passed but it seems like even that is going to be a struggle.

But golly gee, the Dems can’t just break the rules! we have to be better than the republicans or else we lose!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

If biden yanks the stimulus out from under the economy then we will be riding around in makeshift battle wagons fighting over gasoline in 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Biden is kinda unique in that he genuinely wants Republicans to like him

not republican voters, the politicians

he will do whatever possible to get mitch to call him a good boy(while mitch calls him a super communist hitler)

getting anything good out of him is going to be really, really hard unless it gels with his goal of being loved by the worst people in the country besides himself

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Braggins posted:

One of my best friends who is a lefty and longtime SA member bought me an account and pointed me to CSPAM (first suggest doomsday economics).

Edit: Ive been aware of SA for like 15+ years, but never joined because I didn't want to pay for an account lol.

They gave u the gift of CSPAM. Truly the greatest gift of all

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Yinlock posted:

They'll just say how come you didnt know x when you ask a question after losing the argument

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Muppets On PCP posted:

johnson county's a fascinating place

it's the only real wealthy lib enclave in the entire state yet it's like happening upon an uncontacted tribe of chud reactionaries

the toothless hicks i've known all my life from rural bumfuck eastern nc are gore vidal in comparison to those rubes

*Dennis Millerishly* They make Ted Cruz look like Truman Capote. Now, I don't wanna get off on a rant here, but

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

If biden yanks the stimulus out from under the economy then we will be riding around in makeshift battle wagons fighting over gasoline in 2022

No joke, my goal is to buy a sailboat, convert it to full electric, and sail the world within the next 10 years. If things get really dicey I’ll just steal a sailboat and yeet out to Tahiti or some poo poo.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Braggins posted:

Im new to SA and have no experience in the uspol thread, but I've been waiting for reality to hit for my irl shitlib friends since like 2011 and it still hasn't happened. I had an argument with a journalist friend of mine during the 2020 primary where he literally couldn't believe that I thought Obama was a bad president. The specific subject came up because he tried to use the "success" of the Obama presidency as an example of how moderates are the best at governing.

how personally affluent are they? its funny talking to my friends from high school in our chat group, the ones that "made it" and are reasonably successful skew ultraliberal and have superficially progressive social values, but will candidly state they're economically libertarian/free market and they think left wing policy is "bad for business" when you can get them to be honest about i.

most of the time they're not being honest about it because its considered rude/bad form to not pretend to give a poo poo about people who didn't become successful PMC types. when people in d&d or irl or wherever are gushing about the democrats or incremental reform (that goes nowhere, but who cares) it's just signalling for people in that class to indicate that their overriding concern is their mortgage and investments and they don't want any rocking of the boat that could affect their property values.

any deviation and rising anger about the democratic party constitutes an active threat to their personal lifestyle because the democrats form an extremely important part of a political cartel that forces people who into voting for the class interests of liberals.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DoomTrainPhD posted:

But golly gee, the Dems can’t just break the rules! we have to be better than the republicans or else we lose!

It gets an interesting question about the future of the US as a superpower as well. How does this all fit together? The economy is still absolutely hosed (and will be for a while), China is still growing rapidly and the entire country needs trillions of spending on basically everything? I mean we can see how all of this going but yeah lets say it isn't internally consistent.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judakel posted:

They'll just say how come you didnt know x when you ask a question after losing the argument

nah, the usual lib play is to bikeshed on a tiny minute detail in an attempt to own you. Oh, you think Dems have done a better job? Are you not aware of clause 5 subsection 3 paragraph 1 of the sub-committee bylaws? :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ardennes posted:

It gets an interesting question about the future of the US as a superpower as well. How does this all fit together? The economy is still absolutely hosed (and will be for a while), China is still growing rapidly and the entire country needs trillions of spending on basically everything? I mean we can see how all of this going but yeah lets say it isn't internally consistent.

I hope we lose the #1 spot and we never gain it back. I’m full-on accelerationist at the point.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

Nobody should be forced to live in Kansas. I’m very sorry you had to go through that ordeal. :smith:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

nah, the usual lib play is to bikeshed on a tiny minute detail in an attempt to own you. Oh, you think Dems have done a better job? Are you not aware of clause 5 subsection 3 paragraph 1 of the sub-committee bylaws? :smug:

or asking you to exhaustively prove said details one-by-one, then pretending you never proved them anyway

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yinlock posted:

or asking you to exhaustively prove said details one-by-one, then pretending you never proved them anyway

This is the worst because you know they are doing it just to waste your time.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it may be disenfranchising people in Kansas but it's one of those states that I forget exist for like 5-10 years at a time until someone accidentally mentions it.

Like Arkansas.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

This is the worst because you know they are doing it just to waste your time.

my last d&d probe was for being unable to prove that congress are a bunch of lazy fucks, while discussing the fact that they reacted to the not-coup by giving themselves a lengthy vacation

apparently "just look at the entire history of congress" is not a proper source

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it may be disenfranchising people in Kansas but it's one of those states that I forget exist for like 5-10 years at a time until someone accidentally mentions it.

Like Arkansas.

tbf us politicians and especially dem politicians don't care about anywhere outside of DC until it's election time

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yinlock posted:

my last d&d probe was for being unable to prove that congress are a bunch of lazy fucks, while discussing the fact that they reacted to the not-coup by giving themselves a lengthy vacation

lmao. if liberals had pattern recognition skills they wouldn’t keep trying centrism.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Yinlock posted:

lmfao. congress is so asleep that a chud mob murdering them all would be redundant

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yinlock posted:

Yeah, it is hard not to look at what was happening then and not be at least questioning what was being proposed.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I hope we lose the #1 spot and we never gain it back. I’m full-on accelerationist at the point.

I would at least hope we get a much more multi-lateral world, some type of competition has to be a good thing. That said, you got to wonder what their long-term strategy (more than the Democrats themselves) is at this point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:27 on Jan 24, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Ardennes posted:

you got to wonder what their long-term strategy (more than the Democrats themselves) is at this point.

none. There is none whatsoever. It's a complete fantasy that there are any long term plans except those which have been made incidental to individual politicians desire to maintain their own personal power and elected positions in perpetuity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ardennes posted:

I would at least hope we get a much more multi-lateral world, some type of competition has to be a good thing.

I can think of some types of competition that are p bad.