Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What would trump have done if he were still prez
This poll is closed.
bombed the boat 10 10.53%
told the beautiful boaters to ram the boat 45 47.37%
https://i.imgur.com/BvIBJji.jpg 40 42.11%
Total: 95 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man those are some weak sauce conspiracy theorists. I thought they were going to go on with the idea of Trump running his shadow government or whatever.

Also I was silly to think even for a split second that there wouldn’t be a Trump thread after he left office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
QAnon could get 99.99% wiped out but it only takes one crazy to load a truck with explosives and blow up a federal building.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Nastier Nate posted:

Qanon fans are basically turning into CSPAM bernie fans after he went out like a bitch.

Very pleased to see how many have already made it to depression or acceptance
But will they recover from being a conspiracy theorist in general, or just switch to another one? I’m pretty sure it’s usually the latter, without serious intervention from someone they care about.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Serious talk though, but how do you cure someone from conspiracy theory thinking (rather than them just moving on to another one)? millions of Americans are going to need that badly in the years to come.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aglet56 posted:

why cure them? just tell them the one about how billionaires conspire across national boundaries to oppress billions of working class people
I think it’s not a conspiracy theory in the sense that their brain wants unless people have secret goals and secret relationships with each other, not obvious, documented ones.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

samantonio posted:

lol yeah, they literally tried to overthrow government.
And then pussied out when they realized the FBI doesn’t like that very much.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FistEnergy posted:

Man... imagine watching 99% of America's celebrities and world governments openly celebrating your president getting booed offstage. just dunking on your asses 24/7

Do the chuds ignore all this, or do they radicalize further and plot lone wolf attacks? or convince themselves that everyone on the teevee is a pedophile or has been replaced with a clone?
My guess is all three. I’m sure there will be polls later that can tell us what ratio they are to each other.

As for most celebrities not supporting Trump, that’s probably nothing new to them. They’ve got to be used to the idea that the American entertainment history is almost all liberals and I guess have made peace with that? I don’t actually know how that works.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CODChimera posted:

im watching cobra kai and it feels like this whole thing is just creating more bullies
At one point someone is like “why can’t someone stop these ridiculous karate cults!?” and even though they are the whole point of the show, I agree.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SchnorkIes posted:

imagine the lawsuits
The San Fernando valley of the Karate Kid universe has no police and no lawyers. Trust only your fists etc.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fellatio del Toro posted:

i hate this boring poo poo so much please bring back trupm :smith:
I do wonder how long it will be before he starts his new website or TV channel or whatever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The absolute loving stupidity of that guy. The idea that he fancies himself a master manipulator when he can get tricked by someone simply by pretending not to speak English.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Business Gorillas posted:

lol as someone who personally knows multiple politicians, imagine thinking that being intelligent is one of the qualifications
It’s probably giving that person too much benefit of the doubt, but people say “smart” to mean a whole lot of different things. If “smart” means that they know more about their jobs than I do about their jobs, the answer is probably yes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

not this again, these people are so annoying
https://politics.theonion.com/stray-doberman-accidentally-sworn-in-as-president-after-1846086877

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Trump has a home in Florida apart from just living in Mar-a-Lago right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
He and his family are seriously living in a hotel full-time?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Glumwheels posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RawStory/status/1352365472759640065

Lmfao, did he not pay his tax attorney too?

All he had to do was not become president
Can’t he just play the “I am a former president and I can’t be prosecuted for anything because no former president ever has” card?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

slave to my cravings posted:

unless he pleads guilty to something I don’t think the prosecutors could ever find a jury that wouldn’t be poisoned by some maga idiot refusing to vote guilty a la the bundy malheur refuge case
I didn’t expect it would even get that far. I will believe a former president can see the inside of a courtroom when it happens not not a second before.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That was actually fascinating to read.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CODChimera posted:

if you suffer a spine injury due to a karate brawl at school and lose the ability to walk but then you magically regain it, can you go back to doing karate or is that a bad idea?
I dunno but making fun of physical therapy as a profession is some super old school dumb rear end poo poo. It probably would have been in the 80s too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

a helpful bear posted:

just saw the news trump is talking about starting a maga party lol
If he permanently gimps the white nationalist movement then he is the greatest American hero ever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

oxsnard posted:

pre 2020 you'd be absolutely right but the trump administration absolutely hosed up covid in every possible way. The horribleness of GWB and Trump is unique but a solid 50% or so of american covid deaths are absolutely on the president. He's pretty goddamned bad
yeah it’s amazing how he was able to turn things around and be materially worse than Bush in his last year of the presidency, and all on American soil.

edit: oh yeah and literally in the last week of his presidency he openly supported the violent overthrow of Congress.

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 03:09 on Jan 24, 2021

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
When I think about Trump and Covid deaths I also wonder if he caused any other governments in the world to slack off on their preparations too. Is there any evidence of that?

Or by the end of his term was he literally not influencing any other government on earth anymore?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

oxsnard posted:

the UK, absolutely yeah. loving dumbass idiots, the only country with a populace dumber than our own
Huh. Was he influencing the government response or just people’s individual choices like whether to wear masks and stuff?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lawman 0 posted:

Man that's so hosed up.
The space shuttle was such a massive fuckup of a program. They were really pushing hard to get launches up and this was the result.
The shuttle program actually had an operational failure rate that I imagined commercial airplanes did when I was a kid because I was terrified of flying.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was reading yet another oped on how to deal with people who believe that Trump actually won the election (not just that he should have but that he did and is the shadow president) and I was thinking, at what point does it become a delusion in the clinical sense and psychiatrists should get involved? is there an important distinction between that kind of delusion and one that’s brought on by schizophrenia or whatever?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

alnilam posted:

I'm sure the same question has been asked for a long time about other conspiracy theories like moon landing truthers or antivaxxers
Yeah no doubt, this is just the very latest thing even just in the Trump world. i’ve never heard anything about it though. Is it just off-limits to psychiatry?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

alnilam posted:

I'm not in the field at all but my guess is they just consider it weird and possibly harmful but not worth psychiatric intervention unless it rises to the level of really erratic behavior
It’s clearly destroying relationships, causing people to be let go from jobs, resulting in violence and damaging society itself on a large scale. I don’t understand how it’s not being treated as a mental health issue yet.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I saw someone on Twitter compare it to thinking that Rocky didn’t star Sylvester Stallone but rather Nicholas Cage. like, maybe they believe that the version of Rocky that we all know it’s actually a fake version and there’s a secret real one the stars Nick Cage, or maybe they think that Cage disguised himself as Stallone in the movie, or maybe that they are the same person. Or maybe they’re watching Rocky with Sylvester Stallone but not trusting their lying eyes and assuming it’s Cage there instead. Or any of the other poo poo like that we’ve seen in the last five years and especially the last few months.

That’s about the level it is at now, it seems. it’s pathological and dangerous.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PyPy posted:

when the worst person makes a good point
Because he’s a private citizen now, they should let him go back to breaking Twitter‘s rules constantly just like when he was president? Hell no.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DrPossum posted:

the us and world population have both increased by about 50% since i've been alive

there are too many loving people and too many people loving
I think that’s just because infant mortality has dropped but the societal expectations about how many children to have hasn’t dropped to match yet in a lot of the world.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I worked with an older Indian guy at my last job who was utterly scandalized that I didn’t have kids and had no plan to have kids, he’d ask me at social events if I’d had kids yet and tell me I needed to have kids. Nice guy but jeez.
Welcome to life in Japan too. Or probably still the majority of countries on earth.

edit: probably the majority of America by land area too. I bet when it comes down to it, only about 10% of the world’s population doesn’t see childbearing as a duty to society.

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 02:26 on Jan 25, 2021

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man imagine if the DNC actually could murder America. These conspiracy theories always assume their opponent has such wild secret powers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It just occurred to me but is there something keeping Trump from just opening a blog or something? It wouldn’t be Twitter but at least be able to brain dump to the Internet like he used to.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That episode was so bad. It was all about that one bit character and he was obnoxious as hell.

Was he some b-list sci-fi actor who was looking for his big break or something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That guy’s tweets are clearly reaching the wrong audience. Did he mean them only for other hedge fund managers or whatever?

Maybe he’s learning a valuable lesson about how normal people feel about his profession though, I don’t know.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CODChimera posted:

is this a joke
Yes.

Yes. Or did you mean to ask if it was true or not? Different question.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still can’t figure out if Republicans in Congress are still supporting Trump because a) they have already forgotten what happened three weeks ago, b) they think that if they show support for Trump he can prevent them from being targeted by another one of those, or c) they honestly don’t value themselves as people and are mere vessels for the Trump force.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How's Trump's shadow government coming along? Who is his shadow secretary of transportation? Has he finished his new shadow defense budget?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Thinking about it, most of the Senate Republicans voting that impeaching Trump is unconstitutional does indeed take away the last, insignificant bit of benefit Dems might have gotten from going through with the conviction. they won’t even need to go on the record finding Trump not guilty. Impeachment is a pathetic sham, and any attempts Congress makes to expel its members for sedition will also be a pathetic sham. Nothing matters as long as Trump has most Republican voters behind him and seemingly nothing will change their minds. Holy poo poo America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a master list somewhere of checks and balances between branches of the government that have never been successful in all of American history?