Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

Heather Papps posted:

/
e:they are janky but i like it? tryin' to match the og hammock kitty aesthetic

I know I'm late to the party, but these are amazing and you should be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

seriouspost: BYOB should have its own CYOA tag. What are the dimensions and file size limit for these? I'm assuming gifs?

Sig by Heather Papps

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

seriouspost: BYOB should have its own CYOA tag. What are the dimensions and file size limit for these? I'm assuming gifs?

they are 60px w x15px h. I was studying on them a while back and they are mostly pretty small. I think the biggest I found was like 7KB and most are 3-4KB

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

they are 60px w x15px h. I was studying on them a while back and they are mostly pretty small. I think the biggest I found was like 7KB and most are 3-4KB

Danke schön mein herr!

Edit- Like this?

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 21, 2021

Sig by Heather Papps

Goons Are Gifts

Woah that is amazing! The upload is done via the admin panel, so there is no fixed file size, just the fact that we don't want everyone to load 20mb of tags with every reload, so yeah that one is perfect!

Heather Papps posted:

a double-byob tag for threads that are more byob than the byob tag

also, the link one that already exists

Which link one do you mean? Just so I can start composing a list of tags we want to get, ones we want to get uploaded and those we want to have removed

Heather Papps

hello friend

there was one called "link" and had a picture of the cd-i style link, from nintendos hit videogame franchise "the legend of zelda"

e:it's the top one of the last image in anime world, just below "taint" and above "ultra violence"

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

can we get rid of this tag?

alnilam

sk posted:

Excuse me, sk. I agree, friend.

nut

i saw people in qcs talking about it which is enough for me to also agree it should go

Heather Papps

hello friend

it's like the arrow in the fed ex logo - never noticed it, now i can't unsee it

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Goons Are Gifts

sk posted:

Absolutely, sorry, I had that one already on my list to get removed after it was brought up in QCS. Might also just push that one up and get it removed sooner

BlueDekuNuts

I got no real ideas but I can offer my drawing ability to whatever ideas anyone has for anything.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Glutes Are Great posted:

Absolutely, sorry, I had that one already on my list to get removed after it was brought up in QCS. Might also just push that one up and get it removed sooner

thanks!!

Jaguars!

My first thoughts is like the same sort of aesthetic as Chewbecca's avatar, an mspaint style rainbow with jail bars on it and a leprechaun (or a Khanstant goblin) holding the bars, and some blingee style sparkles or something. Text below to read "must chill for 4 hours or similar."

We have most of the good thread tags already but Baps is a good one that should replace a gray one.

E: Ooh, also Triremes (LF2-meeek1.gif)

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 22, 2021

Goons Are Gifts

sk posted:

It's gone from byob. If anyone who knows how to computer could remove those last two frames, we can also do all of SA a favor and just overwrite the current one with a fixed one

super sweet best pal

Think we could also get a custom Stupid Newbie avatar to go along with the custom Probation avatar?

Goons Are Gifts

Woah, that'd be so cool!
I do think that newbie avatars are basically just replacement avs set to your account during registration and thus not affected by stylesheet at all, so I highly assume that is impossible, but it would be so cool that I need to figure that out

nut

Home Depot used to have buttons that said like “ask me, I’m new!” or maybe a poster in training av

cruft

Glutes Are Great posted:

It's gone from byob. If anyone who knows how to computer could remove those last two frames, we can also do all of SA a favor and just overwrite the current one with a fixed one

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

We need a trashed crew tag. Lemme play with Adobe at work.

BoldFrankensteinMir

How about a "vent" tag? I know I'd use it.

Sig by Heather Papps

Goons Are Gifts

Amazing, thank you! I'll get that up right away and byob will have, once again, fixed all of SA

For everyone else, keep it coming! If you like something, feel free to emptyquote or add something to is, I'd for now save everything submitted and make a list later on to review what we want to do before we do it. So anything goes!!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Yesss

alnilam

I bet other fora would get use out of that too

ty manifisto

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

this is a pretty big ask but it would be super cool to have a dark mode for byob...i have a dark mode extension that does it but it's really ugly. maybe we can put a sun in the top right corner and it turns into a moon when you click it

i'm super down to try and put this together but i'd love to hear from people as to what a byob dark mode should look like!

nut

sk posted:

this is a pretty big ask but it would be super cool to have a dark mode for byob...i have a dark mode extension that does it but it's really ugly. maybe we can put a sun in the top right corner and it turns into a moon when you click it

i'm super down to try and put this together but i'd love to hear from people as to what a byob dark mode should look like!

imo everything black and default text in white hammock kitty asleep underneath the stars int he bg

BoldFrankensteinMir

These are fun.

Sig by Heather Papps

cruft

nut posted:

imo everything black and default text in white hammock kitty asleep underneath the stars int he bg

What a great idea.

Here's a static hammock kitty, as a kitty would be when asleep, that I made for my (still pending review, holy crap) BYOB chrome extension:

Here's that same kitty with the brightness dialled down, as though perhaps under the moonlight:

Overlay this on a starfield and it'd look pretty good IMHO. I can whip together a mockup if you'd like.

Goons Are Gifts

sk posted:

So in theory this should be possible as byob already is under a stylesheet and in FYAD it is possible to switch between stylesheets via a drop down menu, too. I do not know however, if this is some hard coded thing for fyad and implementing it for byob might then be a very big task, but I dunno, maybe it could work! A lot on these forums is some originally temporary hard coded mess, so this might also be the case here

nut

Glutes Are Great posted:

So in theory this should be possible as byob already is under a stylesheet and in FYAD it is possible to switch between stylesheets via a drop down menu, too. I do not know however, if this is some hard coded thing for fyad and implementing it for byob might then be a very big task, but I dunno, maybe it could work! A lot on these forums is some originally temporary hard coded mess, so this might also be the case here

i will pray to astral over this

cruft

nut posted:

i will pray to astral over this

I have some good news for you! The notion of "user prefers dark mode" is supported in like 95% 89% of all browsers by market share.

https://caniuse.com/prefers-color-scheme

GaG, tell me what I should do to start hacking together a preview of a dark mode style sheet. I have no idea how to integrate it with SA's hacked-to-hell vBulletin, but I do know that the HTML generated should make it pretty straightforward.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 22, 2021

cruft

cruft posted:

I have some good news for you! The notion of "user prefers dark mode" is supported in like 95% 89% of all browsers by market share.

https://caniuse.com/prefers-color-scheme

GaG, tell me what I should do to start hacking together a preview of a dark mode style sheet. I have no idea how to integrate it with SA's hacked-to-hell vBulletin, but I do know that the HTML generated should make it pretty straightforward.

To be clear, I just want to know what the best way is to demonstrate a modified style sheet. I don't need admin access or anything.

Ironically, the easiest thing I can think of is a Chrome extension.

Goons Are Gifts

I honestly have no idea how stylesheets work at all, I assume you can just try to work with a general forum setup and paint stuff over it to demonstrate the idea. I'm relaying everything you guys ask here to astral, too, so I probably can give you some details afterwards! If it's anywhere possible, that is

Goons Are Gifts

Oh look at that, imp zone just asked this question, too, and apparently it currently is not possible to add selectable stylesheets as it's exactly that kind of hardcoded mess I was afraid it might be. Here's the tech thread about it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956547&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

cruft

Glutes Are Great posted:

Oh look at that, imp zone just asked this question, too, and apparently it currently is not possible to add selectable stylesheets as it's exactly that kind of hardcoded mess I was afraid it might be. Here's the tech thread about it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956547&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Yeah, but the good news is that "dark mode" is now something the browser can figure out on its own.

Like it can be all "if this is getting printed, use this font. if it's on a cell phone, make this thing narrower. if the user told the OS to use dark mode, use this cat image instead".

I'm workin' on it. The lame part is I won't be able to test it very easily, since I don't run Windows or MacOS.

Goons Are Gifts

Ah right, well if there are any changes to the regular byob stylesheet you might need to optimize a third party dark mode mod, we can do that without a problem! As long as we don't make it dark mode only, that is. I'm in general open to any stylesheet changes you guys come up with

vanisher

I wonder if we can do some text in the center of this area

like this

please dont actually do this though

vanisher fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 22, 2021

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

cruft

Glutes Are Great posted:

Ah right, well if there are any changes to the regular byob stylesheet you might need to optimize a third party dark mode mod, we can do that without a problem! As long as we don't make it dark mode only, that is. I'm in general open to any stylesheet changes you guys come up with

It's got some problems but it's a start.

https://jsfiddle.net/o8b426gs/4/

If you've already told Windows or MacOS to use dark mode, this will look exactly the same!. I can't get ChromeOS to go into dark mode, so I said to only make it look dark if I'm in light mode. That way, I can see it.

GaG could you ask your magic forums wizards whether it would be possible to serve up a JavaScript file? That'd open up a whole world of drop-down user-selectable stylesheets, add banners back to BYOB, and even allow stupid poo poo like "threads with 'spooky' in the title anonymize authors " without having to modify any server code or publish an extension.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 22, 2021

cruft

vanisher posted:

I wonder if we can do some text in the center of this area

like this

please dont actually do this though

Jett's big ol' script, which I was planning to port into a Chrome extension, had some really nice banners, like this:

and this:

But we could just drop those into the top for everybody if we can serve up a JavaScript file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

one day we will have webm avatars and can implement mp4/webm banners. A neat artistic "Welcome to the island of chill and magic" or something along those lines would be a neat project. If we come up with some text I can create some images as well if needed.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext