Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

I mean, personally, I find BYOB so visually busy it's hard to read already, I have to turn sigs off or I have a real hard time. If you're gonna start filling empty spaces with even more dancing gifs that's cool and all but, maybe have the option to turn them off too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

That's another good point.

I like the CSPAM text which is the only reason I brought it up

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

nut

vanisher posted:

please dont actually do this though

do this please

cruft

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I mean, personally, I find BYOB so visually busy it's hard to read already, I have to turn sigs off or I have a real hard time. If you're gonna start filling empty spaces with even more dancing gifs that's cool and all but, maybe have the option to turn them off too?

Same.

My ideal interface looks wildly different from what it currently is in the browser. I'd prefer something more like the Awful app.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

vanisher posted:

I wonder if we can do some text in the center of this area

like this

please dont actually do this though

Actually yes please do this

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
How about a customized version of our icon/label/thingie on the forums index page? Several forums have customized graphics already, so it seems to be possible.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Barking Gecko posted:

How about a customized version of our icon/label/thingie on the forums index page? Several forums have customized graphics already, so it seems to be possible.

This reminds me, all these thread tags need a square version for the Awful app, don't they? Any idea what those specs are?

Sig by Heather Papps

Goons Are Gifts

Some answers!
Custom newbie avs are sadly not possible, it's one av applied automatically to new users and thus immune to any stylesheets.

cruft posted:

It's got some problems but it's a start.

https://jsfiddle.net/o8b426gs/4/

If you've already told Windows or MacOS to use dark mode, this will look exactly the same!. I can't get ChromeOS to go into dark mode, so I said to only make it look dark if I'm in light mode. That way, I can see it.

GaG could you ask your magic forums wizards whether it would be possible to serve up a JavaScript file? That'd open up a whole world of drop-down user-selectable stylesheets, add banners back to BYOB, and even allow stupid poo poo like "threads with 'spooky' in the title anonymize authors " without having to modify any server code or publish an extension.

Including a JavaScript like this would also end up as a hard-coded feature to be anywhere close to usable for a plugin like that, sadly. While not brutally impossible, it's something Jeff and astral want to have less of, not more, so I'm afraid this can't happen currently. :smith:

This is fair by the way! Since we have no ability to offer alternative stylesheets a la fyad currently or disable stylesheets in the UCP or similar, we have to find common ground about how much we want to do. Feel free to bring in any and all ideas you guys might have though, we'd just have a to evaluate about whether or not it's something we want to do, or rather postpone to a later date when alternative visual options are possible.

That said, note that the byob stylesheet in its entirety can be blocked by any ad blocker if you rather have it gray or just happen to browse a lot at work or something like that. Just add this to your ad blocker:
code:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/css/byob.css
.This is independent from any kind of changes we apply.

Barking Gecko posted:

That is entirely possible and can easily be done by the admins without any code work! A few forums got new ones recently and we can be among those, too, if anyone wants to make a tag like that. The specifications are always the same, uhhh, I think it was posted before, too, but if in doubt just download any of those currently in use, it's those dimensions and a file size of 3 to 8kb.

This reminds me, all these thread tags need a square version for the Awful app, don't they? Any idea what those specs are?
That's a good question, I don't know if the app just converts them or need them uploaded separately, but I'd assume it converts as else someone has to go through all of the tags in used which sounds terrible. Plus new tags would probably not available then, which I thiiiiiiink isn't the case. Could ask that in the app development thread, as it's entirely independent from the forums themselves.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

The app converts them.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
is it possible to automatically change the word "lurker" into "future poster"? it sounds nicer i think

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

biosterous

but then how would they know that they must post? :ohdear:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

nut

is "when you are here your family" an old subtitle cuz if it not it should b a new one

vanisher

lol

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
"future posters must post" sounds goofy as hell I veto this idea

vanisher

You know what would be great? BYOB colors on the BYOB board name in the Main Forums section

vanisher

Heather Papps

hello friend

this is amazing, especially if the font was comic sans. i feel like it'd bring lots of people in!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

this is amazing, especially if the font was comic sans. i feel like it'd bring lots of people in!

Creating CSS for this right now...

cruft

cruft posted:

Creating CSS for this right now...

Live demo in jsfiddle:

https://jsfiddle.net/egmvz3b2/4/

The site admin should be able to drop this into forums.css and it'll take.

code:
.forumhome #forums .forum.forum_268 td a,
.forumhome #forums .forum_268 td div,
.forumhome #forums .forum_268 td.title a.forum {
  font-family: "Comic Sans MS","Chalkboard SE","Comic Neue",Roboto,sans-serif;
}
#forums .forum.forum_268 td {
  background-color: #d0c2f2;
}
#forums .forum.forum_268 td.title {
  background-color: #cff;
}

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Live demo in jsfiddle:

https://jsfiddle.net/egmvz3b2/4/

The site admin should be able to drop this into forums.css and it'll take.

code:
.forumhome #forums .forum.forum_268 td a,
.forumhome #forums .forum_268 td div,
.forumhome #forums .forum_268 td.title a.forum {
  font-family: "Comic Sans MS","Chalkboard SE","Comic Neue",Roboto,sans-serif;
}
#forums .forum.forum_268 td {
  background-color: #d0c2f2;
}
#forums .forum.forum_268 td.title {
  background-color: #cff;
}

You're doing the good work and I thank you

vanisher

someone call jeff and get this implemented asap

alnilam

lol i have passed it up the chain i love it

I would understand if they want to keep the main index "clean" in some way, but i personally would do it in a heartbeat if i were in charge

I'll let you know what they say

cruft

Can we finally get rid of the Nazi imagery?

I feel like in 2021 maybe more people will agree with me that Nazi poo poo is bad?

Khanstant
I doubleagree on that one, I get that nazis are extremely un-byob but there's plenty of other unbyob things that could fill the role without spreading swastikas even. Also this one:

we also lack a post icon??

cruft

cruft posted:

I feel like in 2021 maybe more people will agree with me that Nazi poo poo is bad?

Here are some replacements I made, because I like to put effort toward a better alternative when I complain. I'm not good at pixel art, the second one is an angry cat in the background.

This is the angry cat, if anyone wants to try their hand at a better one:

https://www.jacksongalaxy.com/blog/aggression-in-cats/

Khanstant posted:

Also this one:

Yeah, that one too.

cruft

Khanstant posted:

Also this one:

Here ya go!

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 29, 2021

cruft

Teddy Thunders posted:

The app converts them.

Hi, I seriously doubt this, the original icons are 60x15 pixels, which is potato quality at the resolution the app uses.

Somebody must be creating an app version of every icon.

If I'm the only one around here with a sliver of artistic talent (and I do mean a sliver) who cares enough to re-make the swastika banners, I will gladly do so. I just need the dimensions for the Awful app.

vanisher

Maybe unbyob should be coupons and deals related

Prof. Crocodile

It looks like the scrollover text now allows fewer characters. The quesadilla story has been brutally truncated. :negative:

BoldFrankensteinMir

vanisher posted:

Maybe unbyob should be coupons and deals related

Yes, escalate!

Edit- I'm suddenly struck with curiosity: do they know about the joke? How into the joke is coupons&deals? Who would we ask?

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 29, 2021

Sig by Heather Papps

vanisher

you don't just go waltzing into C&D

maybe replace it with this

:evilbuddy:

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN

cruft posted:

100 percent agree. I get that Nazis are super not BYOB, and are super not chill, but I also am very uncomfortable with the swastika being used even to cast opprobrium.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hi, your local queer buddy here:

Yes please take away the swastikas. gently caress Nazis.

Cruft--lemme reach out to the appgoon and see; I was straight up told there was conversion magic happening but I could have misinterpreted it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Actually you can probably get hold of appgoon p easily, I'm unsure if sereri is still the only appgoon tho

Goons Are Gifts

Apologies for not keeping up recently, I can't do forums stuff for a few days because of Bad Things, but alnilam got your backs and I'll catch up as soon as I'm back in action.

I agree on the unnecessary swastika, as a gay man myself it never really bothered me, but it also adds no value and has frankly no place in BYOB or anywhere on SA, really. I'll relay that to the admins to have these tags changed with the cool new ones you guys made.

Edit- I'm suddenly struck with curiosity: do they know about the joke? How into the joke is coupons&deals? Who would we ask?

It is not really known outside of BYOB. As a matter of fact, when I joked about it in the mod forum with Eldarion, he didn't even know and he's been their mod for around 18 years now. I think the coupons dragon, NYC_Tattoo, heard of it at some point as we briefly posted about it a while ago, but it's safe to assume it's an insider joke in general. That does not mean, however, that we shouldn't have a tag for it imo, I like it and noted it down!

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 29, 2021

cruft

Awful App icons are 90x90 and each one is recreated from scratch, it seems.

My vision for "UNBYOB" is a freaked-out cat. Seems the most appropriate "anti hammock-kitty".

If y'all think this is good, I'll run it by the app authors for a second round of input, and then attempt to make a 60x15 version.

e: For the curious, here are the 90x90 thread icons

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 29, 2021

BoldFrankensteinMir

cruft posted:

Awful App icons are 90x90 and each one is recreated from scratch, it seems.

I thought so! Image software is amazing nowadays but they still looked too creatively reinterpreted to be automatic.

Sig by Heather Papps

astral

Hi, I just found this thread; a dark mode option is in the pipeline, so by all means come up with stuff for a BYOB@nite theme that can show up in BYOB with dark mode on. I'll be making a thread about the grey forums dark mode stylesheet-in-progress in the next couple of weeks and we can figure stuff out around then. Also, a custom probation avatar could absolutely exist for BYOB; it's already set up that way for C-SPAM.

Heather Papps

hello friend

astral posted:

Hi, I just found this thread; a dark mode option is in the pipeline, so by all means come up with stuff for a BYOB@nite theme that can show up in BYOB with dark mode on. I'll be making a thread about the grey forums dark mode stylesheet-in-progress in the next couple of weeks and we can figure stuff out around then. Also, a custom probation avatar could absolutely exist for BYOB; it's already set up that way for C-SPAM.

could we make it so the front page redirects to byob?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

byob after dark should have like waves lapping up under the moon while a sexy saxophone lick plays.

that is how dark mode works, right?