Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

See that little swining hammock kitty up there, having fun? A little cat told me, that the hammock kitty wants to do some cool changes in and around the house. New furniture? New colors? Maybe a new door? I dunno, the kitty is very sleepy, so we have to figure out what it wants!

Earlier last year in a collective effort that, admittedly, mostly happened in QCS, we were able with the help of our tech master astral to update BYOB's stylesheet, get a special color on the spaceship and our new posting (and also mod) buttons you see right now! We thought about how we can further improve the posting home of ours visually, so the hammock kitty needs the help of the endless creativity of yobbers to make that happen.
Here's what we had in mind, with no specific idea what to go for:

A custom probation image

Yes, this is possible! As you may know, our friends in CSPAM have one and while the kitty jail is great, everyone has those and I believe that we, as the most colorful forum of the universe, can challenge CSPAM's monopoly on custom probe images. As far as I know from our extremely chill tech department, this is not a major headache to accomplish and I do believe that those images just need to follow the regular guidelines of avatars (max 180x180px, max 150 kB - although it might be possible we can stretch the file size a bit, I'm gonna ask!) and have to be GIF, PNG or JPG. Of course, they need to be work-safe and I am very sorry to tell you, yes, that does include nude spawn as well as a bra-less fully sexual snail with human titties.

Thread Tags
A few months ago we talked about tags in the mod forum and Cyrano told us about them and how many it is. The answer is: A lot. Like, 800 or so a lot. He posted an image that we are free to share and because it is so many I will not post them here but instead ask you to follow the link to this thread by Julias in ADTRW that has them all embedded as preview images. (obviously note that this is a screenshot and most of these tags move in some way or blink or whatever). They did a vote for them over there and we can do it in a similar way if you want, or just throw in suggestions and see what is popular or something.
Anyways, I already sneaked in some tags a few months ago and you can see all of the currently available ones when making a new thread (which you should do right now anyways if you ask me). I would open up discussion for anything you want to get rid of and any new ones you'd like to add from the list in the link above.

Please note that adding tags is quite some effort for the admins to do because radium was not a friend of convenient solutions, so if you guys end up requesting 500 new tags and removing all others, uhhh, the admins might punish me by cleaning the waste dump or something. I think our current tags are mostly fine, but we could cut some of those we never use and add a bunch of new ones in exchange, but I'm very open for your ideas here!
Adding new custom thread tags not listed in the link is also possible, so if you have a fun idea let's do it, but since we already have hundreds available and uploading them is a lot of work for admins, let's not overdo it. I know how crazy you guys can be :peanut:

Further improvements to the BYOB stylesheet
Do you think the hammock cat should swing more in the middle, or in the right corner? Should we get more or other colors into BYOB in whatever way? Do you consider the fact that the post thread button during thread creation is not animated a warcrime? Do you want a million ants crawling in the background at all times? Let's hear your ideas of any kind! I have no idea how possible or impossible stuff you guys come up with may be, I'll have to consult with astral and Jeffrey for almost anything here to see if it's a) possible and c) without major coding work that they have to spend on duct taping the rest of SA, but we can create a list of ideas or even examples and get stuff done either now or somewhen in the future!

For all of these things, except thread tags, it would be necessary that we can get our grand BYOB artists to actually make the stuff we want to add or change, too, because astral is not an actual artist and Jeffrey is a very busy bitcoin billionaire, so either way we can't expect them to work for us, but they can add or change stuff for us that we made. So I'd say, let's hear some ideas and let's see what we can get done to improve little kitty's house!

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Yes, everyone :justpost: anything you got, feel free to use this thread for ideas or discussion or whatever, we need all hands on hammock kitty's belly here

For example, one idea we toyed around with for a brief moment in the mod forum was a probe image related to the hammock kitty. While obviously it is unacceptable to put this kitty behind bars, we can have something involving the swinging kitty and abandon the jail motive entirely.

Goons Are Gifts

Oh poo poo right, I completely forgot about quote texts!
I think astral mentioned somewhere that the probe message is also not entirely unchangable and I hope I remember correctly because that would rule

Goons Are Gifts

For thread tags you can go ahead and browse through Julias' list here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952515&pagenumber=1&perpage=40
We can add any of those and sort out any of those we already have, admins can just change them in byob from there

Goons Are Gifts

I can't say I disagree. Alright lemme ask the tech gurus about how possible this is!

Goons Are Gifts

Alright, in terms of thread tags I found out that uploading them is just an admin and not a coding thing, so custom new thread tags (in theory also the BYOB tag on the forum index) can be made and uploaded by the admins.

So yeah go nuts!! Except not a crazy amount of new tags please, we don't want to drown the admins in work for something that only benefits byob, when we already have 800 available :sun:

Goons Are Gifts

Woah that is amazing! The upload is done via the admin panel, so there is no fixed file size, just the fact that we don't want everyone to load 20mb of tags with every reload, so yeah that one is perfect!

Heather Papps posted:

a double-byob tag for threads that are more byob than the byob tag

also, the link one that already exists

Which link one do you mean? Just so I can start composing a list of tags we want to get, ones we want to get uploaded and those we want to have removed

Goons Are Gifts

sk posted:

can we get rid of this tag?

Absolutely, sorry, I had that one already on my list to get removed after it was brought up in QCS. Might also just push that one up and get it removed sooner

Goons Are Gifts

sk posted:

can we get rid of this tag?

It's gone from byob. If anyone who knows how to computer could remove those last two frames, we can also do all of SA a favor and just overwrite the current one with a fixed one

Goons Are Gifts

Woah, that'd be so cool!
I do think that newbie avatars are basically just replacement avs set to your account during registration and thus not affected by stylesheet at all, so I highly assume that is impossible, but it would be so cool that I need to figure that out

Goons Are Gifts

Amazing, thank you! I'll get that up right away and byob will have, once again, fixed all of SA

For everyone else, keep it coming! If you like something, feel free to emptyquote or add something to is, I'd for now save everything submitted and make a list later on to review what we want to do before we do it. So anything goes!!

Goons Are Gifts

sk posted:

this is a pretty big ask but it would be super cool to have a dark mode for byob...i have a dark mode extension that does it but it's really ugly. maybe we can put a sun in the top right corner and it turns into a moon when you click it

i'm super down to try and put this together but i'd love to hear from people as to what a byob dark mode should look like!

So in theory this should be possible as byob already is under a stylesheet and in FYAD it is possible to switch between stylesheets via a drop down menu, too. I do not know however, if this is some hard coded thing for fyad and implementing it for byob might then be a very big task, but I dunno, maybe it could work! A lot on these forums is some originally temporary hard coded mess, so this might also be the case here

Goons Are Gifts

I honestly have no idea how stylesheets work at all, I assume you can just try to work with a general forum setup and paint stuff over it to demonstrate the idea. I'm relaying everything you guys ask here to astral, too, so I probably can give you some details afterwards! If it's anywhere possible, that is

Goons Are Gifts

Oh look at that, imp zone just asked this question, too, and apparently it currently is not possible to add selectable stylesheets as it's exactly that kind of hardcoded mess I was afraid it might be. Here's the tech thread about it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956547&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Goons Are Gifts

Ah right, well if there are any changes to the regular byob stylesheet you might need to optimize a third party dark mode mod, we can do that without a problem! As long as we don't make it dark mode only, that is. I'm in general open to any stylesheet changes you guys come up with

Goons Are Gifts

Some answers!
Custom newbie avs are sadly not possible, it's one av applied automatically to new users and thus immune to any stylesheets.

cruft posted:

It's got some problems but it's a start.

https://jsfiddle.net/o8b426gs/4/

If you've already told Windows or MacOS to use dark mode, this will look exactly the same!. I can't get ChromeOS to go into dark mode, so I said to only make it look dark if I'm in light mode. That way, I can see it.

GaG could you ask your magic forums wizards whether it would be possible to serve up a JavaScript file? That'd open up a whole world of drop-down user-selectable stylesheets, add banners back to BYOB, and even allow stupid poo poo like "threads with 'spooky' in the title anonymize authors " without having to modify any server code or publish an extension.

Including a JavaScript like this would also end up as a hard-coded feature to be anywhere close to usable for a plugin like that, sadly. While not brutally impossible, it's something Jeff and astral want to have less of, not more, so I'm afraid this can't happen currently. :smith:

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I mean, personally, I find BYOB so visually busy it's hard to read already, I have to turn sigs off or I have a real hard time. If you're gonna start filling empty spaces with even more dancing gifs that's cool and all but, maybe have the option to turn them off too?
This is fair by the way! Since we have no ability to offer alternative stylesheets a la fyad currently or disable stylesheets in the UCP or similar, we have to find common ground about how much we want to do. Feel free to bring in any and all ideas you guys might have though, we'd just have a to evaluate about whether or not it's something we want to do, or rather postpone to a later date when alternative visual options are possible.

That said, note that the byob stylesheet in its entirety can be blocked by any ad blocker if you rather have it gray or just happen to browse a lot at work or something like that. Just add this to your ad blocker:
code:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/css/byob.css
.This is independent from any kind of changes we apply.

Barking Gecko posted:

How about a customized version of our icon/label/thingie on the forums index page? Several forums have customized graphics already, so it seems to be possible.
That is entirely possible and can easily be done by the admins without any code work! A few forums got new ones recently and we can be among those, too, if anyone wants to make a tag like that. The specifications are always the same, uhhh, I think it was posted before, too, but if in doubt just download any of those currently in use, it's those dimensions and a file size of 3 to 8kb.

This reminds me, all these thread tags need a square version for the Awful app, don't they? Any idea what those specs are?
That's a good question, I don't know if the app just converts them or need them uploaded separately, but I'd assume it converts as else someone has to go through all of the tags in used which sounds terrible. Plus new tags would probably not available then, which I thiiiiiiink isn't the case. Could ask that in the app development thread, as it's entirely independent from the forums themselves.

Goons Are Gifts

Apologies for not keeping up recently, I can't do forums stuff for a few days because of Bad Things, but alnilam got your backs and I'll catch up as soon as I'm back in action.

I agree on the unnecessary swastika, as a gay man myself it never really bothered me, but it also adds no value and has frankly no place in BYOB or anywhere on SA, really. I'll relay that to the admins to have these tags changed with the cool new ones you guys made.

Edit- I'm suddenly struck with curiosity: do they know about the joke? How into the joke is coupons&deals? Who would we ask?

It is not really known outside of BYOB. As a matter of fact, when I joked about it in the mod forum with Eldarion, he didn't even know and he's been their mod for around 18 years now. I think the coupons dragon, NYC_Tattoo, heard of it at some point as we briefly posted about it a while ago, but it's safe to assume it's an insider joke in general. That does not mean, however, that we shouldn't have a tag for it imo, I like it and noted it down!

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 29, 2021

Goons Are Gifts

hello guys im baaaaaack

The requested tag changes already went through, in fact the new icons you guys made to replace the swastikas are quite popular and multiple other mods have taken them for their subforums, too!! Great job in secretly spreading byob

Everything else new posted here was noted down, so keep it coming!

I'll post a summary of what we have so far later so you can look at what you like or don't like

sk posted:

can we have special costumes for hammock cat on holidays

I'd love this

Goons Are Gifts

So let's see, here's the stuff I have noted down so far, not including the stuff we already did (remove/replace multiple tags) and the big project of a possible nightmode stylesheet. Permanent changes to the current stylesheet are entirely possible though.

Probe images:
/
by HP

by Nosfereefer

Quote texts (instead of "User posted"):

biosterous posted:

"i appreciate that $user posted"

"my rad pal $user said"

Thread tags
to add:

Find more tags that are already available in this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952515&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

In terms of permanent stylesheet changes, there were up to debate so far:

vanisher posted:

I wonder if we can do some text in the center of this area

like this

please dont actually do this though

sk posted:

can we have special costumes for hammock cat on holidays
Which is both entirely possible (the latter would require changing the cat manually, which I THINK is not hard to do, but it may be quite some regular effort to put on astral and Jeff)

Then, the last thing, was this idea:

in the index of the SA forum in general. As promised, this was passed up the food chain to our god emperor El Jefe, who had this to say:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think it stands out a little too much personally - compromise and do just the font?
Which I personally think is very fair. If you guys would also be down for the font only, I'll request that instead.

Additional stylesheets/dark mode are currently only possible as hardcoded solutions which are hacky, but as astral posted above, feel free to come up with ideas, a general darkmode for all of SA is coming and we can have our special stylesheet adjusted for that, too!

I hope I covered everything, feel free to add or correct anything! If there's something you don't like and wouldn't like to have, it's entirely fine to disagree and talk about it! It's an open discussion, which is why we didn't request much so far, but mostly collected ideas so everyone can weigh in.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 5, 2021

Goons Are Gifts

I'm happy to request that and see what happens! Based on fairness I personally prefer font-only, simply because other fyad-lites like FYAD, CSPAM, Imp zone or YOSPOS also don't get special treatment, but the font is so on brand for byob that I feel like it earned a place on the index. However, this lighter version is fun, too and it's really not a big thing, so I'm curious to hear what Jeff thinks

Goons Are Gifts

cruft posted:

To be honest with you, I'd sort of like to see this muting of the insanity in the BYOB stylesheet too. But one thing at a time.

If that would be an option, I'd love to have multiple byob stylesheets, maybe even as many as FYAD has, as options for every user to choose. For example, I'd be happy to tone down the general BYOB colors and stylesheet like you did there and have that as the new normal stylesheet, with an option to revert to the old original one for old times' sake, then a third option for darkmode of some sort. Then additionally some seasonal stylesheets that we can set as new normal for a specific season, while always keeping the possibility to switch around for everyone, possibly even including the regular gray setup. Plus 30 more stylesheets of any kind just because we can and we definitely have to outnumber fyad obviously.

That's just me dreaming stupidly over here, I know we cannot expect anything like that from the technical end.

Goons Are Gifts

Heather Papps posted:

jeffrey is a fair king

Goons Are Gifts

If we ever get customizable forum tags with the proper format, that would be a strong contender to become the general byob forum tag

Also thanks for getting that to the app people!

Goons Are Gifts

So in order to get started on the other things already, I have now requested to have the listed tags added to BYOB and we'll try to go with the new probe image HP made, too. I'll keep you guys updated if there's anything to do or fix about (it's also a first timer for me), so I'll see what the admins say.

Goons Are Gifts

In the mean time!

These are the tags we have right now, without the four new ones that are coming in.
What do you guys think, perfect amount, too many, too few, any you never saw used and think we could or should prune? Do you think we shouldn't prune anything and have as many as the coding allows? Should we remove all except the butt one for obvious reasons?
Tell me what you think about tags!

Goons Are Gifts

The autoban tags are a special case, they are a forum feature at this point and not at all a byob thing, so opting out of them - if that's even possible - would mean we opt out of the general possibility of autobanning in byob.
We had a general discussion about removing the possibility of autobanning on SA on the mod end a while ago and it also came up in QCS a few times, but the general consensus is that at this point it is a tradition and institution that we want to keep for old times sake, and also because it offers a chance for users to ban themselves easily at any time and reversably without mod intervention, which is something some users valued in the past when they wanted to end their posting career, kill a username for good etc.
Either way, that would be a question for QCS and all of SA rather than just us, but right now I think most of the users and mods and admins prefer to keep autoban tags.

From the byob mod perspective, I'd prefer not to opt out from this general SA feature either, as in, we remove the tags entirely, but I would happily entertain the idea of disabling the actual ban from happening in byob without taking away the warnings or the tags. That simply is because in FYAD lites those tags are traditionally a different value - for example, mods and IKs use them much more frequently - and in FYAD it has been the case for a very long time that they exist but may be used freely without a fear of being banned.
That I find personally funny in a different way, but that's just me so please feel free to disagree.
Plus, I don't know if that's doable, since I assume most of those special cases were hacky hard-coded things we don't want to do again here.

Heather Papps posted:

also gag i want that cd-i link tag so badly but i feel like if i ask a third time i've broken some unwritten rule and i'll have to clean the latrines or something

Wait, which one do you mean? Did I miss one?
The four I listed in my summary post were already requested, the admins have to do their thing so it can appear and afaik adding tags is a bit of effort on their end, but it's coming

Goons Are Gifts

Oh poo poo no you're right, alright lemme get this fixed!

Goons Are Gifts

Oh no that's entirely fine it's a worthy discussion to have imo, I was mostly just echoing the conversation we had last time on both mod and user end.

I mean, I use them frequently obviously, in fact, this thread right now has the hot tag and I regularly use that one or attention to announce our new IKs, while even our rules thread does not have them. That is to display that in my opinion, we use those tags a bit differently than gray forums and that's why I'd be interested in opening them up for all yobbers just like fyad has it. The only reason I wouldn't want to have them removed from byob right now is to avoid us going a different way with site wide features. If SA in general would open them up or remove them, that'd be different. I think that's mostly a Jeffrey thing to decide though.

Goons Are Gifts

Yeah sorry about the interactive part, as Jeffrey already said in that podcast and various announcements, there will be a lot of technical changes to SA as a whole in the future, he has some big plans, but it'll take time. None of the fun stuff you guys mentioned is off the table at all, but it's correct that right now, when it comes to what we can do, we are mostly limited to permanent changes in the background, wiggling stuff here and there, new colors, hell, a whole new layout if you want, just as mentioned. Interactive cool stuff that will look like this website is actually from the 21st century is hard, because we barely arrived in the 20th century over here and I can understand astral's and Jeffrey's perspective of not adding hacky solutions when we plan to have a ton of new stuff down the road already.

As astral said, dark mode is around the corners though, stuff the the hammock kitty says via a gif or something is entirely possible, too, if we want to have that! The new probe images and new tags can happen, as well as new colors or structures or entire redesigns with what we have, so feel free to keep the think machine running, I'm happy to relay stuff and ask if we can do that or if it'll have to wait. As Jeff said publicly already, there are big things planned, he wants to really put money back into this place and we can participate and share ideas already to see it happen.

Also, money, go buy a ton of stuff in the shop, there's a good chance that money you gave to SA will eventually end up in new byob designs :sun:

Goons Are Gifts

Also let me poke the admins with a stick about those tags and probe images one sec

Goons Are Gifts

The new thread tags are up and running!

So I don't know where the correct place to ask is, but I still have a TON of merchandise designs left over from the attempted FP revival, do we have any use for those? I don't think I'm saying anything controversial by noting that traditionally our merch selection has been... lackluster.

Oh let me forward this to Jeff right away, that's definitely his turf

Goons Are Gifts

woah that's really cool and I love the faces lol

I brought it up for him on the mod end, thanks!

Goons Are Gifts

Oh yes, the four new ones I listed earlier by BFM (cyoa, destroy, homework and vent), as well as the updated/fixed versions of gay agenda and the no-swastika ones are all already in it, so up to the taco one we should be good with all those made so far, along with the link one HP requested. Unless I oversaw one!

Anyways those tacos are lovely and obviously need to go in, I'd collect it again as before and submit it altogether to reduce workload for admins.

In terms of old tags that we might be able to prune, personally I believe we can have a poo poo ton of them, it's not like we are limited in how many we have, as long as the thread creation screen stays somewhat readable, but that's me as a user speaking.
If we were to remove some of those we have, I'd say we get rid of some of the rather boring ones we barely ever use, which is mostly the non-animated ones like whine, gross, serious, cars and stuff like that, basically some of the stuff in the middle here:

Which are all just in because they are mostly imported as a standard set from other forums and barely ever get used here. Since I personally also prefer the animated tags, I'd be fine with pruning those, but I don't think we really have to prune anything. I'm entirely open for input on this, this is not a strong opinion I have.

The new probe image is going to get uploaded and can then be applied via a small code tweak by astral, so that's coming already, the image is queued for upload already!
Other stuff mentioned so far was either already done or is farther down the road, the only thing left open that I'd like to check is the possibility for us to get a custom probation message (user went on vacation for that post or similar) and/or a custom quote text (user posted xy), which I'd get to once the probe image works out.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 11, 2021

Goons Are Gifts

drat those are amazing!!

I'll look over the most boring and least used tags we have, too, and give you guys a list later on.
I can also report that the probe image is now uploaded and I'll bribe astral with a lap dance to make the last coding work happen!!
BFM's merch designs also are a topic now, so thanks for those! I'm sure Jeff will say something about that soon, but it's lovely work either way

Goons Are Gifts

The new probe image is now reality!! It was a bit more work than expected but it works perfectly now, with every probe being this in byob, while other forums still have the usual one displayed, so it's not just a temporary thing but part of the stylesheet now

Someone get me nut so we can start another run on coin probes

Goons Are Gifts

Alright friends, I am very happy with how much we could accomplish here already! I know there has been a lot of brilliant new stylesheet ideas, too, but I think all of them will have to wait for a later time, when we have more customization options available. Dark mode will probably be the first thing to come soon-ish by astral and we can have a special one for that for sure, but we'll have to wait on that to happen first to see what we can do.

Finally, I would submit these two new tags by BFM to be uploaded by the admins:
taco
pizza
everything is terrible

and, if no one has any objections on those, I would remove the following usually unused and generally less exciting tags that we currently have:

None of these are animated and do not, as far as I know, originate in BYOB either, but are part of the general set of tags every subforum gets on creation. If anyone of you wants a particular one to stay, that's entirely fine, just tell me, I mostly just took those that I couldn't find to be used a lot over the past ~50 pages of BYOB, that are not animated and also exist in other forums.
Currently we have 151 tags available in byob, while adding the new ones this brings us down to 131 usable tags. There are a bit more that are neither animated nor used a lot, like science or drugs, but I figured those might have some use. If you think I should add another tag to this list, I'm open for suggestions!

Anyways, I'll leave this up for a day or two for everyone to comment on this before requesting the change by the admins, then get it done. With the new tags in, old ones removed, our new fancy probation image and a lot of possible new options for the future to come, I think we are mostly done with this thread, too! I'll add a last request for astral to see if we can change the quote and probation text in general, but I figured that if yes, that will be an easy change we can just do as it's just text and you guys already submitted cool ideas.

Look how fancy BYOB has become!!

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 20, 2021

Goons Are Gifts

Oh no, tacos and pizza is already submitted, I just oversaw everything is terrible and just now sneakily edited it into my request to the admins. So that's a resounding and cheerful yes to all three of those tags! I just can't do it myself and need the admins for it, so whenever they got to do it.
I'm happy to keep movies in, for the movie nights alone already. I'd just swap it with as that one was on my shooting list, too. Just now I also looked at and and would probably add them to the list, too.

I'll update the list above!

Goons Are Gifts

Oh wait, are those tags some default thingy that cannot be removed regularly? It was my understanding that admins can just edit the forum and remove tags from it, including those, if that's not possible for some tags that would change some things

Goons Are Gifts

The latest new tags are in! Post about tacos on pizzas immediately

On the text front, probation texts ("user was put on probation for this post") is sadly not easy to edit, so this will have to stay for now, however quote texts are easy to change. The "user posted:" part is hard written and has to stay, but we can add something to it before or afterwards easily, just like in cspam, so that every quote has a "user posted something nice" or whatever to it.
Any ideas on this setup?

I'm waiting for the admins on the tag removal thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Update: yeah as astral said, those things are default tags that are permanently added when a forum is created, they cannot be removed easily. However, we will discuss retiring some of these for all forums, so a bunch of them might disappear from byob, too, but that's a broader discussion we'll have on the mod end. Sorry! That was my mistake of misunderstanding how this works, it turns out I'm still learning how this forum works, too. For the time being, the current tag setup is what we'll have, but at least all the fancy new ones are in!