Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Giulietta Masina in Nights of Cabiria is one of - if not the - greatest female performances of all time.

Man I need to buy that box set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DeimosRising posted:

That essay seems pretty clear. He’s lamenting the surgical precision of algorithms in feeding you a steady stream of what you already know you want and excising any chance of you being surprised or uncomfortable.

Yes but he's also doing something else, and I agree with Basebf555: he obviously has an idea in his head about which specific films are "cinema" and which are merely "content". He name drops tons of movies and directors that he considers to be a part of "cinema" (Kubrick, Godard, Fellini, Bergman, etc.). We're left to guess about which ones he considers inferior. The point is that he's acting like the gatekeeper of film importance, albeit unintentionally as Basebf555 said. I suspect - and this is pure conjecture - that if he were to be 100% candid his honest sentiments would sound something like "People should stop watching garbage like the Marvel movies and instead watch good movies like 8 1/2". He's too smart to say anything that blunt of course, but I sense that's how he feels.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ha, oh poo poo how did I miss this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opinion/martin-scorsese-marvel.html

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The NYT article is basically him saying "Marvel movies just aren't for me... and here's an entire article explaining why I'm right".

And I absolutely, unequivocally, 100% agree with him on every point.

Martin Scorsese posted:

And if you’re going to tell me that it’s simply a matter of supply and demand and giving the people what they want, I’m going to disagree. It’s a chicken-and-egg issue. If people are given only one kind of thing and endlessly sold only one kind of thing, of course they’re going to want more of that one kind of thing.
This is so true it's painful.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

I posted the Fellini essay to stoke more conversation of Fellini, and less about Scorsese's film opinions. While they are interlinked, in a way, I realized that now would be the perfect time for a Scorsese thread, so I made a Scorsese thread. So if you wanna discuss the Fellini aspects of the essay, happily continue it here. If you'd like to talk about Scorsese's worries about cinema please take it to the Scorsese thread so it can get some momentum.

Nice. It was a bit unfair that we focused so much on Scorsese since that article was 90% Fellini praise. His analysis of 8 1/2 has made me decide to rewatch it ASAP. Like maybe tonight. I saw it once about 15 years ago and I hate to say it mostly bounced off me. I recall approaching it with the attitude of "this is an important work of art and I need to focus on appreciating it" instead of just throwing it on and enjoying it, and that's usually detrimental for me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Got the Criterion set. Ready to watch them all (including rewatching the five I've seen). I'm thinking I'll watch them in release order. Is this the best approach?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I decided to start making my way through the set in release order. Just watched Variety Lights. My Letterboxd review:

A film about performers dreaming of making it big, many of whom care more about reaching said dreams than about the people they step on to get there. It's a simple movie without profundity or deep emotional resonance, but it does an excellent job at demonstrating the flaws of its characters while keeping them sympathetic. It's also really entertaining, well acted and of course adeptly directed.

3/5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Watched Juliet of the Spirits tonight.

This is the most "Fellini" Fellini movie I've seen so far. Everything I know to be true about his filmmaking style is amped up to eleven here. It's a ballet of extroverted artists chattering, beautiful and strange faces swirling into the foreground, and circus-esque parades of colorful characters filling the frame. It's also wholly personal, being a film he made (ostensibly) for - and about - his wife Giulietta Masina. Is it self-indulgent? Yeah, a little bit. But is it also gorgeous and fascinating? Yep. So I can tolerate a little bit of pretentiousness if it means getting a movie as vibrant, lively and enjoyable as this.

4/5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

drat Satyricon is wild. I still need to finish it (got sidetracked last night), but man is it something.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's my proper review of Satyricon.

It's jarring going straight from Juliet of the Spirits - Fellini's most "Fellini" movie - to this - decidedly his least. It's an incohesive mess, but kind of in a good way. It's not unlike The Holy Mountain in the way it wanders from one disperate scenario to another. And while the visuals may not be as intense as Jodorowsky's work, they're undeniably striking. I've never seen so many bizarre, interesting faces in one movie. And the production design is mesmerizing.

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Samuel Clemens posted:

I find it interesting that you rate Satyricon as his least-Felliniesque film, because it's often cited as the tipping point in his career where he became too absorbed in his own mannerisms. The start of Fellini the brand overtaking Fellini the director, so to speak.

Perhaps it's because the vast majority that I've seen came before Satyricon. So I guess his pre-Satyricon style is what I associate with him.