Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Season 2 thread
Season 1 thread

It's the third season of Non Non Biyori! Based on the manga by Atto, which has been licensed in English by Seven Seas Entertainment, and streaming on Crunchyroll along with the first two seasons.

I've never heard of this before, what is it?
Non Non Biyori is a slice-of-life series set in a rural town deep in the countryside, where there aren't even enough kids to fill the local elementary school. So they all hang out in the same classroom and do mundane things together.

Is there anything different for this season?
No.

Really?
Okay, fine, there's a new character who seems to be getting some focus in the first two episodes:

Her name is Akane Shinoda and Konomi seems to be trolling her helping her with her stage fright by introducing her to the rest of the cast.
But apart from that, the OP is still by nano.RIPE and every punch line is still on a five-second delay, so it's not that different.

Who are these kids?
So far we've seen:

Renge Miyauchi - first grader of great wisdom and unparalleled creativity, who understands life, death, and the temptation of shovels.

Hotaru Ichijou - fifth grader from the city who hit her growth spurt real early. Level of maturity depends entirely on who is looking at her at the time.

Natsumi Koshigaya - seventh grader, but she'd rather be playing outside. Whatever just happened wasn't her fault.

Komari Koshigaya - eighth grader, but her sister is way taller than she is. Voiced by Kana Asumi - if you've ever seen anything else with her, you can probably work out everything there is to know about this character from there.

Kazuho Miyauchi - Runs her family's farm, raises her sister Renge, and is also the only schoolteacher. Last seen asleep.

Hikage Miyauchi - Middle child of the Miyauchi sisters. Goes to school in Tokyo. By Shinkansen.

Konomi Fujimiya - Area high schooler, so not seen in class with the rest of the kids. Also possible limb-detaching monster, stay alert.

Candy Store - some people say she has an actual name, but these people are wrong. It's Candy Store.

Suguru Koshigaya - silent bodhisattva.

there's a few more we haven't met yet this season, but I've wasted far too much time on this OP already

Should I watch it?
Within the genre of mellow, low-stakes therapy shows, the first two seasons were generally regarded as among the best. I'm expecting good things, and also frogs.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

poo poo, the cops are here! Everybody run!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This week was almost too awkward, but the "I'm super fast at running away!" punch line was perfectly timed.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 8, 2021

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

It's unstoppable!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

The weasel looked incredibly smug.

Following in the footsteps of the smug rabbit from season 1.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Ah, I'll miss these kids. Still, I'm glad we got three seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

First two seasons are apparently getting pulled from Crunchyroll next week, just a heads up.