Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Birthday Party 17 29.31%
Legit vs Penelope 6 10.34%
Hardy Party vs Top Flight and Sydal 11 18.97%
Inner Circle Tag 24 41.38%
Total: 58 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol Tony is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'd be jazzed for Riho to come back but I also kinda hope the tournament elevates some of the new blood (and/or a returning Statlander?) too, you can have Riho come back and be a big deal because she's Riho, you don't need to give her the tournament to justify her getting in the title picture.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Reality Protester posted:

don't bully him into changing his artistic OPs

Thank you for having my back.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I thought they would make Hangman the new Exalted One*, and he'd slowly realize it's still a creepy cult and not giving him what he needed, and him leaving. the cult angle needs to pay off somehow.

* or whatever, I understand not using the same name

Yeah they're faces now and aren't a cult, but instead they're just a group of friends.

Page can absolutely work with the group. The Elite kept him against his will, and treated him like poo poo. The Dark Order treat Page like a friend and it seems like they were sad he didn't join, but not upset at him. I think like someone said, the Elite ganging up on Page and saying he has no friends leading to the Dark Order saving him because even though he didn't join, they're his friends is a solid idea.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Man, that Jericho-sault was pretty drat close to ending badly.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Man, that Jericho-sault was pretty drat close to ending badly.

Jericho hit that same sad tipping point that Daniels hit and showed that they can't hang like they used to anymore. And if they can't safely do the spots, shouldn't do 'em. I just hope Jericho will have the time left to wrap up his in-ring career the way he wants to, and doesn't get preoccupied putting over every young talent I bet he has his eye on. It's obvious he wants to try to help MJF hit the top, he wants to help Sammy make it, and he may even intend to try to make PnP, for what it's worth. And he might be able to do it?

But yeah, better to become an announcer sooner rather than later. :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

Jericho hit that same sad tipping point that Daniels hit and showed that they can't hang like they used to anymore. And if they can't safely do the spots, shouldn't do 'em. I just hope Jericho will have the time left to wrap up his in-ring career the way he wants to, and doesn't get preoccupied putting over every young talent I bet he has his eye on. It's obvious he wants to try to help MJF hit the top, he wants to help Sammy make it, and he may even intend to try to make PnP, for what it's worth. And he might be able to do it?

But yeah, better to become an announcer sooner rather than later. :smith:

Jericho had to do the Lionsault with half of his usual distance to get up to speed, it didn't work. Daniels has been great in the ring lately too and had the first stand out singles match with Sonny Kiss of his AEW career so it's a weird thing to say he can't do spots safely. Even on a Lionsault where things did not go right he knew to get his hands up and protect himself too.

Jericho got up for Sammy's finish (not perfectly but still got over on a difficult move) and went over the top to the floor picture perfect. He's fine.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I’m hoping it’ll be someone other than Riho; I don’t quite understand the hype. She’s a great worker, sure, but somehow just doesn’t do it for me 😬

Maki Itoh though...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Would be sick if the finals were Yuka vs Britt. You can go to a Riho title shot at any time, might be good to have her lose in the semis. (Although Britt may just get a title shot at the PPV.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Japanese wrestler who will win the women's tournament is none other than... "THE SWITCHBLADE" JAY "KING SWITCH" WHITE

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I thought the show was good despite not really liking any of the matches. Especially the Private Party match, which just isn't up my alley whatsoever as far style is concerned, and the women's match which was really sloppy. I did, however really enjoy the non-wrestling segments a lot. One of the better shows they've ever done in that regard as someone said. The Dark Order/hangman story is a great example of how you can have a story run for a long time and not have it feel like it's spinning its wheels, which is something that ought to be learned by whoever is plotting this utterly stationary Starby/Team Taz storyline. Also loved the Kenny Omega segments. I'm still dying at that loving painting.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I mean, if I could pick anyone it'd be Saki Akai. If I could pick anyone who could feasibly take an excursion to AEW it'd be Shoko, and if I had to pick someone who isn't DDT/TJPW affiliated it'd be Yunamon.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

how in the world is this my first time seeing this

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

fatherofmustard posted:

I'm kind of surprised they did a cake bump tonight, thought they would save that for the wedding.

I cannot overstate how much I want the wedding to just be a nice ceremony and for no one to interfere with the special night.

Legit Layla looked good, Penelope less good. I really hope the women's tournament has a Japanese half and the winner comes over, that's cool.

Oh and I'm tired of Sting and Darby being interrupted, no simple genuine interactions. At least they set up the cinematic match, but drat, just let the two men speak!

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
maki itoh's winning the tournament

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Some Gear and Crowd thoughts:

- Penelope's somewhat updated gear and hair looked cool as hell tonight
- Marq Quen looks so much cooler without the coattails part of his outfit
- Was that god drat Ziggler's brother in the heel part of the crowd?
- Looks like Madi and Vert are back for another round
- Who was the lady on the face side of the crowd with the rainbow hair?

AEW does comedy like few other promotions can. Everyone has such good timing and is allowed & open to having a comedy segment that doesn't automatically mean they're a full comedy act. It rules.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

I thought they would make Hangman the new Exalted One*, and he'd slowly realize it's still a creepy cult and not giving him what he needed, and him leaving. the cult angle needs to pay off somehow.

* or whatever, I understand not using the same name

Let it continue until it's time for the two sweet/dark order claw time.

Patience....

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wazzu posted:

I cannot overstate how much I want the wedding to just be a nice ceremony and for no one to interfere with the special night.

Legit Layla looked good, Penelope less good. I really hope the women's tournament has a Japanese half and the winner comes over, that's cool.

Oh and I'm tired of Sting and Darby being interrupted, no simple genuine interactions. At least they set up the cinematic match, but drat, just let the two men speak!

I kind of hope the wedding is ruined by Orange Cassidy sitting in the crowd and them thinking he's going to start poo poo but he's just sitting.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

how can you not want to see someone who is a great worker and is a fine or even pleasant person

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

This week is functionally week 1 of building in earnest to Revolution, nothing that happened tonight was the end of anything.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Senerio posted:

I mean, if I could pick anyone it'd be Saki Akai. If I could pick anyone who could feasibly take an excursion to AEW it'd be Shoko, and if I had to pick someone who isn't DDT/TJPW affiliated it'd be Yunamon.

Saki is a delight, and she’d hilariously tower over anyone who isn’t Kris or Jade.

Man, now I can’t stop thinking of all the rad matchups we could get.

That said- Itoh-Chan.

Do it, Coward Tony.

she can have Archer at ringside :allears:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i bet Jungle Jack Perry vs Hardwood Rich Mahogany is going to be a very good match next week

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Top. Tier.

Sign them all.

https://twitter.com/vertvixen/status/1352084192364998660?s=21

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

All I’ve wanted since they showed up was for FTR and Jurassic Express to feud, and I’m glad they’re giving it time.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

All I’ve wanted since they showed up was for FTR and Jurassic Express to feud, and I’m glad they’re giving it time.

I’m with ya. Super pumped. Thought tonight’s promo from Jungle Boy was his best yet. Very fluid.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HE SAID NO :negative:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

i'm waiting for ftr/top flight at this point personally

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Yeah, just let FTR work all the young pure babyface teams from now to eternity. That’s the absolute perfect spot for them.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Fun episode. Peter/Cody went a bit long but I really enjoyed everything else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
They had a really great crowd tonight. Not sure if it was warmer than it has been or what but people were clapping along to Darby's entrance and shouting lots of random poo poo at heels all night. Added to a show that was more about storyline progression than sick matches.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Yeah, just let FTR work all the young pure babyface teams from now to eternity. That’s the absolute perfect spot for them.

literal figurative tag team wrestling gatekeepers

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Peter Avalon surviving a painful submission and then tapping out because he didn't want to get hit in the face was great, recapper is dumb

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I called my dad before the show and apparently my 64 year old dad and my 84 year old grandfather have watched aew every Wed together since I showed it to them in August

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

AEW Unrestricted with Will Hobbs just dropped.

Funniest part: WWE hit him up right after his Dark performance after being told they had nothing for him years ago after a tryout.

God you love to see it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shard posted:

I called my dad before the show and apparently my 64 year old dad and my 84 year old grandfather have watched aew every Wed together since I showed it to them in August

This is heartwarming.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

HE SAID NO :negative:

The banners CLEARLY said that he said yes :argh:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I caught up on the first half of Dynamite. Friendship is Dead.

great segment tho!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Could Jericho be suffering from long term covid effects?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Nah, he's been pretty gassed in a lot of matches even before he had covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

At least three friendships ended last night... :smith:
but one blossomed :unsmith: