Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town comes out on March 23, 2021

What is Story of Seasons?

Story of Seasons is one of the longest running franchises in the Farming Sim genre. In the past 25 years it has put out 28 titles and uh used to be a household name in the west. It was localized from 1996-2012 in the west as Harvest Moon, when Marvelous decided to partner with XSeed to localize them instead of Natsume. Confusingly, Natsume got to keep the name for some reason and now produces its own 'Harvest Moon' games which mostly serves just to confuse the hell out of everyone.

Regardless of weird name shenanigans, there's a pretty basic gameplay loop universal to all the games. You're a new farmer taking over a small farm and you spend your time tending to animals, growing crops and hanging out with your neighbors as you try to make your farm larger and more successful. They're very chill with few games having any sort of over-arching time limits.. In almost every game in the series you can also get married and have a child, and as of the most recent games they even are finally consistently putting gay options in!

The games are also in general really adorable with fun character designs and a lot of NPC dialogue and events that let you feel like you're really living in a small town/abandoned island/Feuding Japanese and old West towns/magical harvest dimension (some of the games get really weird and experimental).

Sweet, What are the most recent games?

The most recent release was a remake of perennial favorite game Friends of Mineral Town on the Nintendo Switch. A meaty and fun update to the original in glorious 480p or whatever the Switch puts out. You play as 'INSERT NAME HERE', a young adult who inherits an old farm from an old man who you met for like a week a decade earlier. It doesn't waste much time getting down to brass tacks and giving you freedom to have your new farm succeed or fail while you run around making friends and getting an adorable dog.

Upcoming Games

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town is upcoming and the first all new entry in the series for Switch. Its a bit of a back to basics entry after the last few non-remake games went a bit heavy on gimmicks in their premises

quote:

Inspired by tales of their grandfather's pioneering days, the protagonist decides to pack their bags and leave the hustle and bustle of big city life for the frontier in Olive Town.

When they arrive, they run into Victor, the town's mayor and their grandfather's old friend. He brings them to the old farm, which has been reclaimed by nature over the years. Determined to breathe life back into their grandfather's dream and follow in his footsteps, the protagonist rolls up their sleeves and gets to work.

Olive Town—which is just a stone's throw away from the farm—is a port town built on the tip of a peninsula. It might be a quiet little town, but it is home to a whole host of unique characters. And while the townsfolk get by well enough in this picturesque seaside locale, a little more tourism never hurt anyone...

It will also be the first game in the series to offer a season pass of DLC which will add a lot of new content with 5 planned waves of DLC

quote:

Part 1 – April 2021

‘Animal Attire’ costumes for the protagonists and marriage candidates
‘Olive Town Mystery Files’ sub-scenario – Join Mikey and Cindy to discover the cause of strange incidents occurring across Olive Town in the very first mystery scenario in the Story of Seasons series!

Part 2 – May 2021

‘Windswept Falls Expansion Pack’ – Explore a refreshing, brand-new area home to four characters from a past entry on the Nintendo 3DS™ system (includes two marriage candidates)

Part 3 – June 2021

‘School Uniforms’ costume set for the protagonists and marriage candidates.
‘Terracotta Oasis Expansion Pack’ – Discover an exotic oasis home to four characters from Story of Seasons for Nintendo 3DS (includes two marriage candidates)

Part 4 – July 2021

‘Yukata Set’ costumes for the protagonists and marriage candidates
‘The Legendary Sprite Dance’ sub-scenario – The Earth Sprite Village is livelier than ever, and the sprites are determined to revive their legendary dance and hold a feast…with or without Boss Sprite’s permission!

Part 5 – August 2021

Twilight Isle Expansion Pack’ – Sail to an island bathed in twilight and meet the four characters from Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns that have made it their new home (includes two marriage candidates)

‘Expansion Pass’ Purchase Bonus DLC – The following costume sets will be available to owners of the ‘Expansion Pass’ at the game’s launch on March 23.
‘Pete and Claire’s Overalls’ costumes from Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town
‘Yuto and Naomi’s Hoodies’ costumes from Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town
‘Henry and Holly’s Western Attire’ costumes from Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns.

Rune Factory

One of the more notable spinoffs is Rune Factory, which takes traditional Harvest Moon stuff and ramps the anime up to 11 along with introducing action-RPG gameplay and dungeon diving elements with combat and monster taming. It also has just an insane amount of character work and dialogue, you can talk to just about every villager daily for like a year without them ever repeating themselves. After a long hiatus, a new entry in the series is hitting Switch later this year, release date TBD. I am insanely excited for it.

Other games you might like:

Stardew Valley ( thread)

So yes, now please use this thread for any and all Farming Sim discussion and arguments about who the best villagers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Hey, I’d like to say i love farming and Ann was the best in Back to Nature. What a great game that was to like 10 year old vkeios.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
let me go to olive town

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I love this series and wish i had more time to play it. Should pick up A New Beginning again too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Friends of Mineral Town remake is very good.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
somehow missed there was a new story of seasons game coming out, heck yeah :toot:

mystery dlc scenario has me baffled but intrigued

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
XSeed Localization Blog for Olive Town

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBOrB75WOYE
There is going to be a live stream on March 5th

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im1z6RHiVoQ

Returning characters from RF4

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The wedding scenes being animated + no confirmation still either way doesn't bode well for gay marriage

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Hell yeah Rune Factory 5 looking awesome!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Hell yeah Rune Factory 5 looking awesome!

I really hope we don't have to wait too long after the japanese release because yeah the game looks amazing

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

The wedding scenes being animated + no confirmation still either way doesn't bode well for gay marriage

Yeah, this is my main concern. I’m very excited for more RF again, but with them not saying a word, I expect I’ll be disappointed.

Oh well at least the mainline series proper has let me be as gay as I want.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
update: olive town is good

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I really hope it gets a PC port like FOMT.

Also

Snooze Cruise posted:

Returning characters from RF4

Of all possible characters, why Doug? Who liked him!?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

lunar detritus posted:

Also

How is the remade FOMT? I’m eyeing it next time it’s on a steam sale. I did play the GBA original.

I played and enjoyed Trio of Towns on my 3ds a while ago but am getting the itch to play another farming game, been considering trying to go back to my save of ToT and finish it or doing a Stardew Valley replay.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

PlushCow posted:

How is the remade FOMT? I’m eyeing it next time it’s on a steam sale. I did play the GBA original.

I played and enjoyed Trio of Towns on my 3ds a while ago but am getting the itch to play another farming game, been considering trying to go back to my save of ToT and finish it or doing a Stardew Valley replay.

I intensely dislike its art style but other than that it's a pretty good upgrade from the original, with QoL features and gay marriage.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Oh yay, Doug the Slug and crazy hippy girl.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019

lunar detritus posted:

Also

...me.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
So.... If I can just squeeze myself through the thronging masses...

Anyone else pick this up in the end? I've no prior exposure to this franchise at all, but with a year of New Horizons under the belt, I decided to pick this up rather than start yet another farm in Stardew Valley. A speculative purchase. All be it an expensive one.

Not gonna lie, things seemed a bit charmless initially, but once that daily loop started to establish itself, it's begun to sink its hooks in.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
I decided to go for it and I've been having a blast. My only other experience with the series is the Friends of Mineral Town remake. That one never quite clicked with me, but Olive Town seems to have learned a lot from stuff like Stardew. I find the general gameplay progression of unlocking farm areas and rebuilding structures useful for giving me a clear set of goals to progress in the way that I want.

I'm also intrigued by the various essence/perfume/bouquet stuff that I have seen a bit of. It's nice to have flowers seem like a bit more of a unique crop option. I'll have to give them a shot when I"m done chasing tool upgrades in the mines.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm going to be picking it up in a dew days just because it came out right when I was in the process of a cross country move and will be updating the OP with some more info

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I was *definitely* ready to get my farming/life sim on once more. Animal Crossing is cool, but to be sure, doesn't quite scratch that itch in the same way. I need that accelerated day/night cycle, and the corresponding march of activity. The game continues to get its hooks into me.

The 'makers' thing is interesting. Outside of performance, one aspect that has come up in much coverage I've seen is around the makers, and the sense of needing to have vast fields of them running, which need to be tended.

Since I'm generally about the daily routine and the "three Fs" (farming, fishing, and foraging), I'm quite content not to grind mats as optimally as one could. But depending on how material requirements ramp up, I reserve the right to complain about it at some point :colbert:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
for some reason i thought this was coming out next month. whoops!!

happyalloy
Mar 18, 2009
Hello all! If I've never played a Harvest Moon or Rune Factory game before, which one of the games should I get for the Switch: Rune Factory 4, SoS: FOMT, or SoS:PoOT? Or should I just start a second farm on Stardew Valley? (I played my first game of SV back when 1.4 came out, so I haven't tried out the 1.5 additions yet). Any advice would be appreciated; I'm just so indecisive (and the somewhat mixed reviews on Olive Town aren't helping :( )!

I did enjoy Animal Crossing for the first couple of months, but slowly stopped logging in around June. I like being able to experience time passing more quickly than it does in real life! Though I was often annoyed by how fast the days go by in Stardew Valley; do days work the same way in RF or SoS games?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

happyalloy posted:

Hello all! If I've never played a Harvest Moon or Rune Factory game before, which one of the games should I get for the Switch: Rune Factory 4, SoS: FOMT, or SoS:PoOT? Or should I just start a second farm on Stardew Valley? (I played my first game of SV back when 1.4 came out, so I haven't tried out the 1.5 additions yet). Any advice would be appreciated; I'm just so indecisive (and the somewhat mixed reviews on Olive Town aren't helping :( )!

I did enjoy Animal Crossing for the first couple of months, but slowly stopped logging in around June. I like being able to experience time passing more quickly than it does in real life! Though I was often annoyed by how fast the days go by in Stardew Valley; do days work the same way in RF or SoS games?

I'm not sure if there's a reason to pick FOMT if those are your choices.

Rune Factory 4 has the best characters and combat.
SoS:PoOT if you want to focus on farming.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

magimix posted:

The 'makers' thing is interesting. Outside of performance, one aspect that has come up in much coverage I've seen is around the makers, and the sense of needing to have vast fields of them running, which need to be tended.

My experience with makers thus far (one game year in) is that I've only needed one or two makers of each type as long as I load them up when I happen to walk by them. The things that are material gated are generally also money gated such that even if I had the materials necessary to get everything that opens up at a time I haven't had the money for it. Once year two spring hit I did build like 10 of the lumber and ore makers and threw them off in their own area and am now finding that I run through raw materials almost faster than I can keep them supplied unless I really take some time out to do some dedicated harvesting; I can't imagine keeping 20 ore makers running constantly through the first year with just the basic tools on top of doing everything else.

On the other hand, there are a lot of types of makers, some of which are very specialized, and it can be a little annoying to keep track of those. This is a minor gripe and on the whole I'm really liking this iteration.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Only a few weeks in but enjoying it so far. My last Harvest Moon was 64 but I've played Stardew.

I am not enjoying how finnicky the diagonal/straight control is when trying to place something/use a tool, but that's my main complaint so far.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

happyalloy posted:

I'd recommend Rune Factory 4 out of those, its a fantastic game with an absolutely absurd amount of character writing and content.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Does Olive Town have a general shipping list in game to check what I've already shipped out, or do I need to keep track of store unlocks myself?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
I haven't seen one yet, it just lets you know that a new item unlocked at one of the stores but it doesn't specify so probably have to keep tabs on it yourself.

Enjoying it so far, I like somewhat grindy resource collecting games. More looking forward to Rune Factory 5 later this year though.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I miss when the games would freeze time while you were indoors :smith:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yinlock posted:

Don't know if there's a megathread for this somewhere so i'm just leaving the Anime Farm Report here: pioneers of olive town is alright

Which is disappointing after trio of towns kicked so much rear end, all they had to do was Trio Of Towns Again But This Time There's Gay Marriage and it would've been 10/10 easy. Instead they gutted the social aspect(besides keeping gay marriage around from the FOMT remake, which is good) and added 20,000 construction machines in a weird attempt to ape stardew without understanding both why stardew was good and why story of seasons was fine doing it's own thing

The farming part is fun though, they nailed & improved a couple stardew things like the fun animal crossing museum where you can donate treasures and fish and photos of wild animals, and having skills that give you immediate tangible benefits when they level. Also you can ride a giant wolf or magical unicorn

It's a resounding Decent, upgraded to Good if you're like me and are one of the 3 fans of the anime farming genre

also, where are my fukken portraits

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
RF5 opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7o-Y7rcVgg

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

That looks amazing.

Very disappointed about the lack of same-sex relationships though. :negative:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeahhhhhh it loving sucks, my only hope is there is enough a fuss there is a patch or something but seems highly unlikely, sob sob

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
For any fellow North American Pioneers of Olive Town players, the 1.0.5 update is live as of today, which adds the ability to load a maker with enough materials to have it make 10 of an item, rather than it only able to hold enough to create one. Patch notes here. I think is also available in EU as of a few days ago?

1.0.6 update is apparently coming next month, and they just announced a 1.0.7 update in Japan today I guess?

I only just picked up the game earlier this week (having thought the maker issue had already been patched) and I'm enjoying it well enough so far? I wish I could put a storage box inside my house rather than having to put them all outside. I've also been talking to everyone pretty much every day, and the only downside of that is there have been a few recent days (late spring year 1) where I am unlocking a lot of the first heart/friendship event scenes, so some trips through town have been cutscene after cutscene after cutscene. I just want to deliver this ore to the bulletin board, please, just let me go :argh:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Whoa, all these notes are awesome! Time to hook my switch back up.

Adds the ability to sidestep and lock movement in a straight line
-Hold the L Button or R Button while moving with the Left Stick to lock your movement in left, right, up, or down direction

Adds a heart gauge visual during dialogue with marriage candidates

Improves some issues that caused lag

Added/improved dialogue too!!!!

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
The change to makers is a godsend. Maybe now I can finally make some use of the piles and piles of iron ore I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Been playing RF5 with the help of the Universal Game Translator software https://www.codedojo.com/?p=2426, and it's been doable. It helps a lot that I've played every other Rune Factory game, so I can recognize most of the items by icon, which cuts down on the amount of times I need to hit the translate button. It's still a machine translation, and really rough, so there's a ton of interpretation needed (mostly I've noticed that people refer to themselves in the 3rd person quite frequently).

I did finish the plot and am having fun doing various projects and requests. Game is good, though the loading times are a bit rough and the transition to 3D isn't the most elegant. I would recommend RF4 if you're new to the series and want to try one of the games.

Haven't really revisited PoOT since I played RF5, but what was there was kind of interesting? Really hoping the patches where they're expanding the dialogue will help a lot, and the maker change is fantastic for the low level materials that process in a few hours each (especially helpful for beehives).